Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
Vines5161

Default Tyre noise

I have been reading the thread about "What tyres to fit". When I bought my '03 Zetec Focus recently it had F1's fitted on the rear. Unforntuately they sound very noisy. They have plenty of tread and stick like you know what to a blanket. I was talking to a tyre dealer the other night on the phone about my problem. He said to me that they have got plenty or tread but sound like the wheel bearings are shot and I told him that is exactly what it sounds like. He said to run my hand around the inside edge of the tread and it will feel like a 50 cent piece. He was right. He said that they are stuffed and there is nothing I can do about it. He said it's a problem with most front wheel drive cars that have not had the tyres rotated every 5000 kms.If you rotate them every 5000 kms this will not be a problem.
Focus's and Fiesta's are particularly bad for it.
Has anyone else noticed this happening to their tyres or been told this as well??

Vines5161 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

How many km's has your Focus done? Do you have the Service History? My '03 Focus LX with Goodyear NCT 5's has done 57k and certainly hasn't encountered the problem you've described. As a rule, I've had it serviced every 7,500 i.e. Follow the Regular service manual and the next 7,500 just do the oil and filter though. Likewise, if I KNOW I've hit a bad pothole or rough piece of road I don't wait I just get the wheel alignment front and back checked just to be sure and 9 times out of 10 there's an alignment discrepency.

I'd be getting a second/third opinion. Keep us posted.
BTW What's the deal with your avatar pic. It's a Territory!

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Definitely sounds true, classic for a car that hasn't had its tyres rotated. Most front wheel drives will suffer the same fate. I happily saw 45,000km from a set of tyres with very enthusiastic driving and regular rotation, every 10,000km.

F1 GS-D3's aren't very noisy normally, something's definitely wrong. Well worth replacing with the same tyre though, they're a brilliant tyre.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
kirkr99
5 Door 2.0L Zetec

Yep, my 2003 zetec did the same thing with the same tyres and I was told the same story by a Brissy tyre dealer.
An easy test is moving the wheels to the front and seeing if the noise moves with them.
A good few forced wheel spins smoothed/quietened mines down again.
kirkr99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 03:29 AM   #5
nlfbt8

We had exactly the same problem with the F1's that were factory fitted ... after 15,000kms the inner section of the tread was badly scalloped, making a whirring noise at any speed above 30k/hr. Had the tyres replaced at 30,000 ... and fear that it would happen again with another set of F1's, decided to go for the Dunlop Sportmaxx. The audible difference was amazing ... so so quite on the new rubber. 10,000 k's into the life of these new tyres, and haven't had a repeat of the problem.

I know the F1's are good tyres ... but just couldn't bring myself to buying another set of tyres that made THAT much noise!
My Ride : NL Fairlane by Tickford #43 - Stock as a rock. :
nlfbt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Aaaah now if my memory serves me correctly, they were fitted from factory with Eagle F1 GS-D2's which were a nasty, noisy thing. The GS-D3's are worlds apart and the newer version of the tyre, still currently available.

Anyone with GS-D3's care to comment?
Old 13-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Conquest_Tsi

Default tyres

can someone post the stats on the factory tyres for the LS variants please
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I've had a dream run with the GSD3's.

Not at all noisy (except when I get a liitle too enthusiastic on the loud pedal and spin them at the lights!!!!!)

Good grip, good feedback. I haven't thought about changing them
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

LS all run Gooedyear Eagle NCT5 eco on all models. not the sportiest tyre, it's a silicon based touring tyre.
Old 17-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
Conquest_Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
LS all run Gooedyear Eagle NCT5 eco on all models. not the sportiest tyre, it's a silicon based touring tyre.
Thanks, ive got an LS with the Zetec 17" and last few months have been noisy as described... 20k on the clock and never had a rotation... hmmm
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post