Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 20-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Aussie Pete

Default Some of The Turbo Brigade Are Feeding Pure Lies

Okay, I'm going to stir up a hornets nest but something has to be said.

I'm really struggling to understand how some of the turbo runners are claiming 10.xx or 11.xx ETs for their cars when in fact the truth is that a stock XF carby auto GL pack would actually beat them to the finish line.

What do I mean?

Well, these cars sit on the line in stage and wait for the green light. then when it turns green most cars launch and do their run. No, not these guys. That's their signal to try and get their turbos spooled up (sometimes for ten seconds or more) on boost and get the engine ready for a run. Then, when they're fit and ready they launch.

This is quite simply not what drag racing is about. it's also a blatant lie about what the cars are capable of because any such setup is going to be blown away in real life. And I'm kind of tired of seeing ads for fastest cars when in fact the things are undriveable anywhere except on a strip.

I think the two second rule should apply. two seconds after the green if you're not off the line then no time.

And as for timeslip records, how about also posting your stage time before you ran your hollow ET.

Using the above premise, I wonder whether a V8 running twin turbos is actually the lesser car versus some of the TQEs that are supposedly faster.

Let the flaming begin but facts are facts. Tell the truth and the whole truth or keep your times and your claims to yourself. :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
eski666

Most people do this at atest and tune meet because your not actually racing against someone. All the big names usually do it to. Maybe they are testing a new stall set up. In most cases during a proper meet, nitrous is used to get the engine onto the stall and spool the turbo up quicker. Who cares if you dont cross the line first at a test'n'tune, its all about the time you do.
eski666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

You have to remember that most of us are running at street meets and test and tunes... If we were to enter in bracket racing you'd punch it and try and hit a reaction time aswell, but we aren't.... I don't see the problem?
EB6 on Boost has won Drag Combat iirc, so its not purely a spooling issue, I'd image he'd be hitting good lights and his dial in.

Would the same not apply to V*'s with large stallies?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Pete I am not at all into drag racing (or knowledgable about it) but I agree 100%. I really feel some cars are getting to the point where they're more dragstrip warriors than sedans and that defeats the purpose IMHO.
Old 20-06-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know where you are coming from Pete. I regularly watch the VL turbos and the faster rotisseries spool for 8-9 seconds. These cars are quick, no question about it but they would lose a heads up race to the majority of the cars there.
I heard a proposal to have a Spool Race .. see who can get their cars to spool up the quickest...
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Pete I am not at all into drag racing (or knowledgable about it) but I agree 100%. I really feel some cars are getting to the point where they're more dragstrip warriors than sedans and that defeats the purpose IMHO.
It depends what you want the car to do doesn't it... I'd don't have a problem if someone wants to set his car up as a straight line beast... Not everyone can go out and buy a 'drag' car to play with on the weekends

Old 20-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete
Okay, I'm going to stir up a hornets nest but something has to be said.

I'm really struggling to understand how some of the turbo runners are claiming 10.xx or 11.xx ETs for their cars when in fact the truth is that a stock XF carby auto GL pack would actually beat them to the finish line.

What do I mean?

Well, these cars sit on the line in stage and wait for the green light. then when it turns green most cars launch and do their run. No, not these guys. That's their signal to try and get their turbos spooled up (sometimes for ten seconds or more) on boost and get the engine ready for a run. Then, when they're fit and ready they launch.

This is quite simply not what drag racing is about. it's also a blatant lie about what the cars are capable of because any such setup is going to be blown away in real life. And I'm kind of tired of seeing ads for fastest cars when in fact the things are undriveable anywhere except on a strip.

I think the two second rule should apply. two seconds after the green if you're not off the line then no time.

And as for timeslip records, how about also posting your stage time before you ran your hollow ET.

Using the above premise, I wonder whether a V8 running twin turbos is actually the lesser car versus some of the TQEs that are supposedly faster.

Let the flaming begin but facts are facts. Tell the truth and the whole truth or keep your times and your claims to yourself. :
I have to agree it's wrong and stupid.Drag racing is all the above , i laugh when u see a time slip then it has a 7 sec R/T. :
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #8
eb six on boost
NO CARBON TAX

i agree 1000% aussie pete.
i think they do it so people look at them.
seen one ****er sit there that long the other car finished before he left.
you can probably guess it was a rotor.

yes racecraft, i won the recent drag combat oz6 class, good reactions and close dial ins wins races.
Atomic performance engine, powerglide, coan converter, gtx55 turbo, 2000hp plazmaman water to air, 100mm throttle body, twin 50mm gates, side exit exhausts, 18 x 2200cc injectors, ems 8860 and race dash.......
7.83 @ 177 MPH

1100+ rwhp @ 40psi

the first 7 second sohc ! eat it

1993 eb falcon 15.4 @ 90mph (tow car)
eb six on boost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Chris
AFF.com.au

Go Pete
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I agree. Thats :ymca:

Get off the line quick or go home.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #11
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Ok, heres my 2 cents, how bout this for an idea, try stalling it up b4 the stage lines, you know like just before you get the second yellow while your still on the first or just before that even, just like the big boys do in heads up.

I try this the best I can and I drive a manual, I think it might be easier for you guys to do this with your autos, and Im not saying they are all autos but at least them. S#*t if I can do the shuffle in a manual surely you guys can in an auto, all I gotta do is remember to use the hand brake next time.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #12
JG3282
Awake after dark

Years ago when I was a lot more active in the 4 & 6 turbo scene, I spent every friday afternoon in the pits telling the guys to start spooling once the second stage light comes on. I even made a few guys watch video's of Victor Bray who would be starting to bring the revs up on the first stage light and by the time he's staged fully he's at peak launch RPM. One guy took my advice and won three meets in a row [my claim to fame] and another fitted a nos kit that cuts out after 3.7 seconds to get his turbo spooled up quicker and ready for launching on the green. He also won a DYO meet and cut a magic .401 light on one run. So I guess what i am saying is that rather than mock these guys why don't we try to help and educate them.
The guys that were big in the scene all got pretty good at cutting lights but they've all sorta disappeared to be replaced by the "new generation" of teen racers. I must admit that I do get a laugh out of watching guys in stock WRX's and Silvia's sitting there for 13 seconds after the green.

Anyway, when I used to race on a weekly basis my car had a sticker on the inside of the windscreen "If you see the green light... You've lost the race!"

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 10:55 AM   #13
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Well I havent been to the drags in a long time, but when I did it was all about first to the line, then the time, if these guys are spooling to get a good time, reaction time should be added and printed on the ticket for the ET that will stuff em up .

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #14
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahah i love it pete

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #15
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONGAS
So I guess what i am saying is that rather than mock these guys why don't we try to help and educate them.
Do you really think they will listen? These guys want the numbers and couldn't give a stuff about actually racing.They will be the ducks guts ... just ask them.
Even though you race against yourself, I still enjoy crossing the line 1st. I try to get a good light and occassionally fluke one but for the most I am around a second.
Old 21-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #16
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I don't see a problem, this is representative of what times these cars will run under ideal conditions.
If they can't run these times when racing someone, it's there loss, however it doesn't mean the car isn't capable of the original time.

Yes, more than a few seconds after the green is silly, however when just aiming for the best times, it doesn't really matter. They are racing the clock, not the car next to them.

Competition drag racers have the experience to stall/spool the car up enough once the car is staged. That's why many racers like to be the first to stage.

Rick.
Old 21-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #17
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
Ok, heres my 2 cents, how bout this for an idea, try stalling it up b4 the stage lines, you know like just before you get the second yellow while your still on the first or just before that even, just like the big boys do in heads up.

I.
Let the turbo guy stage first, then hold off before staging yourself, while his motor is screaming. Just for laughs :evil_laug
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #18
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
Let the turbo guy stage first, then hold off before staging yourself, while his motor is screaming. Just for laughs :evil_laug
I saw two 9 or 10 second VLs actually line up against each other for a change ....... and they tried to stage properly .. one got their first and started to spool up like a good boy .. the other screwed around for about 15 seconds... after which the first guy started to back off .. then staged .. spooled whilst the other guy was desperately trying to spool up again .. it was a shambles in the end. That's the only time I have seen them try to do it properly and both ended up with 7 or 8 second reaction times.
Old 21-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #19
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Who gives a stuff how long you sit on the line for!!?

The idea is to get from the staging beam to the finish line as quickly as possible by any means isn't it?

As if you even complain about something like this.. When I tried to have a go at drag racing I sat on the line for a bit to let the other bloke go so I could actually hear my car, settle the nerves and so I could position the revs perfectly for what I thought would be the perfect take off.. Are you having a go at the pros in their 7-8 sec monsters or people like me who are just out there for some fun?
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #20
Aussie Pete

I'm still standing. Phew. Surprising.

Look, at street meets we want to get in more than two runs all night and the aforementioned tossing element take the equivalent of someone else's run sitting there staging.

Sorry, two seconds RT and then red light 'em. No time.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 05:33 PM   #21
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I am with AP its a street meet, not a test'n'tune, hire the track for the day if you want a piece of paper with a crappy RT but a good ET to brag about.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #22
XRQTR
TBA Customs

So what your saying then is that if Ambrose sat at the line at Bathurst trying to get his clutch tho grab at the right RPM while Tander or the like won the race it wouldnt matter coz ambrose got a great lap time?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

Sorry guys i understand that its not the easiest thing to learn but if you plan on doing this often then learn it it:

Maybe someone could run a clinic at Heathcote at the next meet.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #23
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Well Willowbank has T&T mid week and competition racing on the weekends.. Everyone pays the same entry fee so they can do as they please imho...

Old 21-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #24
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Let's ban anything over 15 seconds while we're at it, they take up time.

Sure you get ****ers who do it for toss factor, but it's not that bad.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #25
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Another thing out of interest, do you get trophies and prizes at these street meets? If not well who cares but the person trying to maximise the potential of there car..

Sanctioned Drag racing is fun and legal so we should be encouraging that. Not moaning over how long people take to get to the other end.

My gripe is shiiters that oil down or blow a hose but thats part and parcel of going to street meets i guess...

Old 21-06-2005, 07:27 PM   #26
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
I know where you are coming from Pete. I regularly watch the VL turbos and the faster rotisseries spool for 8-9 seconds. These cars are quick, no question about it but they would lose a heads up race to the majority of the cars there.
I heard a proposal to have a Spool Race .. see who can get their cars to spool up the quickest...
Reminds me of the 9.5 second Centura that was at Calder last week. 9.5 secs for spooling up and 9.5 secs to go down the quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong

Last edited by smciner1; 21-06-2005 at 07:37 PM.
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #27
EASPRINT
FPV GT-P 335!

I dont see the problem with letting the turbo spool up.....Most of the guys who do it are using a trans brake....therefore thats the idea of it!. Im running a turbo engine....and i've never sat there letting it boost up....cause i got a manual.....i normally get eaten alive of the line by these big V8 cars with 90/10's and 12inch slicks, high stalls etc....but i must say....its fun playing catch up with em at the end of the track!. I'm hangin to get an auto in so i'll be able to get some boost from the moment that light goes green!
Old 21-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #28
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man some people are getting defensive.
This is aimed at the 8 and 9 second monsters that really couldn't win a heads up race without racing another car that needs a week to spool.
Old 21-06-2005, 08:10 PM   #29
Jase
-Village Idiot-

Cant say Ive seen this too much over here,

but street meets r just that. U floor it when it goes green, no stuffing around, unless your doing tuning etc.

Most dudes will claim there times up on the street, but the traffic lights arent going to wait for you (not that i condon street races )

Dedicated drag cars however, i put in a different class.

But to me reaction time is an important part of the race
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #30
XDSLIDER
BIG LUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase
But to me reaction time is an important part of the race
Heres one for you people!!! GEEA Runs a 10.873 et w/ a 2.49 R/T total time 13.363 . I run a 13.239 et w/ a 0.740 R/T total 14.069. HEADS UP RACE WHO WINS????????
Turbo's were made to spool, so just let 'em!!!!

BIG LUKE

XR6BBQ.......... Just when you thought I had given up!!!
XDSLIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post