Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2023, 02:51 PM   #91
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFacts November 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I know people in the industry and you'd be surprised how many people buy a big van and appropriate tow rig, do a lap or 2 and flog it to break even when they've had enough.
Ditto caravans. Long wait times means people overpay for second hand examples to get what they want now. The car industry has been relying on this since covid.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2023, 02:52 PM   #92
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, absolutely, I've seen this too. After our work trip we sold the van close to what we paid, then bought a camper trailer that didn't suit (too much effort to pack away a family on a moving morning) sold that for what we paid, then bought one of those expanding ones. When we were finally done with caravanning and high school/stay in one place/holidays are snow trips occurred we sold the expanding one for what we paid for it.

Of all of them, I'm fondest of the original simple pop roof down, attach to towball, and go. It's small size meant that when in a park, you can get into some of the interesting poky sites. But yes others discover different things!

Some reflection: prydey's been fighting a solo battle of sense at times: the market is what it is, people choose what is on offer (yes some is incentivised), and the best interpretation of what people find useful wins (may not be the best car to drive).
Old 09-12-2023, 03:02 PM   #93
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Ditto caravans. Long wait times means people overpay for second hand examples to get what they want now. The car industry has been relying on this since covid.
I think that is starting to go in reverse now due to interest rates, cost of living and petrol/diesel.

Covid caused a flood of caravanning/boats/motorhomes not to dissimilar to after 911. Now there's seems to be a lot of stock staying for sale for a long time.

Wonder how many have cancelled their new car order since the hikes.

Last edited by roKWiz; 09-12-2023 at 03:13 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2023, 03:58 PM   #94
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I think that is starting to go in reverse now due to interest rates, cost of living and petrol/diesel.

Covid caused a flood of caravanning/boats/motorhomes not to dissimilar to after 911. Now there's seems to be a lot of stock staying for sale for a long time.

Wonder how many have cancelled their new car order since the hikes.
Wish I could agree but the feedback im getting is the opposite.
I ask my Mother Inlaw and Nephew weekly how sales are fairing in their respective yards and the answer is an unwaivering flat out.
Its not just travellers though, many people are buying to live in as a result of rent increases which is keeping the market bouyant, cheaper to buy a 20k van and keep it in a park @$200pw than rent a box for $500.
Around SA temporary van cities are popping up everywhere and councils seem to be turning a blind eye as there is next to no alternative for many.

I was blown away when I looked into what the townhouse we're currently building would get in the current rental market, $480pw...if they ever complete it that is.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2023, 04:02 PM   #95
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I ask my Mother Inlaw and Nephew weekly how sales are fairing in their respective yards and the answer is an unwaivering flat out.
Its not just travellers though, many people are buying to live in as a result of rent increases which is keeping the market bouyant, cheaper to buy a 20k van and keep it in a park @$200pw than rent a box for $500.
Around SA temporary van cities are popping up everywhere and councils seem to be turning a blind eye as there is next to no alternative for many.

I was blown away when I looked into what the townhouse we're currently building would get in the current rental market, $480pw...if they ever complete it that is.
Got tent cities starting to appear in Melbourne CBD and in some parks around Bendigo - housing and rental affordability crisis is wild, becoming homeless isn't the domain of junkies anymore its now effecting the average joe.

You get that when you decide to bring in 500,000+ migrants year to date in a country that builds 150,000 new houses a year

My favorite part is the 500,000 migrants lead to an increase in GDP of only 0.7% - clown show
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2023, 04:05 PM   #96
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
How do you find the transmission and shifts?
Trans is fine. The issue would be with idrive and low speed (found it rubbish on the cx5 as well). Also heard Toyota stop start system is also not good.
It's not that big of an issue if you give the start system a half a second to turn the engine on before taking off.
Put your foot down during driving and it gets up an boogies.

Also the complaints about the ride being to harsh is BS. Car rides quite well and took it through the twisties and it handles well.

If I have a complaint about the vehicle it's the 'safety' stuff they have in it. Like every other car I've driven with this stuff. AEB, lane keep and all the other Waring stuff is annoying. Having to turn it off everytime you start the car is annoying....but this now a requirement to satisfy ANCAP.

Oh and the steering wheel material should have allowed better grip as it's very slippery.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:15 PM   #97
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

My observations are mainly in the secondhand private sales not dealers of RV's 5th wheel and boats.

Back to Vfacts sales..

Old 09-12-2023, 05:30 PM   #98
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

So wondering if new F150 sales will also put a dent in the new Landcruiser, has the TT V6 yeah?
The battle of the turbo sixes or is a big capacity V8 more to punter’s liking

Buyers do really have plenty of choice today but yeah, LC and big Utes are all over $100,000 for anything good..

Every time I see a new Silverado or Ram, it’s amazing just how big they are, they look heaps wider than Ranger, Hilux
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2023, 06:40 PM   #99
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That's a fascinating, and sad, anecdote. I've known about couples who do life on the road, either selling up or not; or downsizing to a cheaper country retirement town - but the maths makes sense. We saw one of these van cities (well, a collection of about 20 on shire land) somewhere near or at Mallala from memory, on our last trip over. There was this old booklet, 'free camping Australia' back in the day, and on recent trips over the Nullarbor I've noticed quite a lot of people stopping over in the pull off bays, which have grown to have caravan park-like tracks out the back of them.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:41 PM   #100
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Got tent cities starting to appear in Melbourne CBD and in some parks around Bendigo - housing and rental affordability crisis is wild, becoming homeless isn't the domain of junkies anymore its now effecting the average joe.

You get that when you decide to bring in 500,000+ migrants year to date in a country that builds 150,000 new houses a year

My favorite part is the 500,000 migrants lead to an increase in GDP of only 0.7% - clown show
Total clown show, nobody mention the per-capita recession. You'd think people would get angry about it and vote against whoever started it... (I've got a ripper topic for civil disobedience against unjust policy but will save it for after the Range Rover flogging thread is done)
Old 09-12-2023, 06:44 PM   #101
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Trans is fine. The issue would be with idrive and low speed (found it rubbish on the cx5 as well). Also heard Toyota stop start system is also not good.
It's not that big of an issue if you give the start system a half a second to turn the engine on before taking off.
Put your foot down during driving and it gets up an boogies.

Also the complaints about the ride being to harsh is BS. Car rides quite well and took it through the twisties and it handles well.

If I have a complaint about the vehicle it's the 'safety' stuff they have in it. Like every other car I've driven with this stuff. AEB, lane keep and all the other Waring stuff is annoying. Having to turn it off everytime you start the car is annoying....but this now a requirement to satisfy ANCAP.

Oh and the steering wheel material should have allowed better grip as it's very slippery.
Thanks Daniel, great feedback.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:22 PM   #102
ToryMikey

Quote:

500,000+ migrants, shove almost all of them in the big cities, and make a taxpayer funded documentary about how badly the ones that aren't in the cities integrate into our awful racist small town hellholes?

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-s...the-neighbours

I've never had so much contempt for the chattering classes...but then again, it matches the contempt they have for us.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2023, 09:15 PM   #103
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Bought and paid for the cx60 two months ago. Inline 6 turbo engine and RWD bias AWD was one of the main factors. Also the size is great. Tried a CX5 at the same time as the CX60 and felt cramped.....probably because the Falcon and Territory have plenty of space when your driving so maybe I'm just use to being comfortable when driving.
Nice one! Please tell me you went with Soul Red too..................

Can I ask what you think of the engine? Sound, feel, refinement?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-12-2023, 09:19 PM   #104
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

I saw one at an intersection from the same angle the other day, I thought it was a Jaguar or Maserati. They look pretty sharp.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2023, 09:26 PM   #105
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
I saw one at an intersection from the same angle the other day, I thought it was a Jaguar or Maserati. They look pretty sharp.
Done the same a few times now.
Mustang GT

Old 09-12-2023, 09:36 PM   #106
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven’t seen any of these in SE Qld

Aren’t they just SUV blobs like cx5 cx30 Cx 8 Cx 7 all very same similar

Blobby noddy cars

Last edited by kevino; 09-12-2023 at 09:59 PM.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2023, 10:12 PM   #107
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post

Blobby noddy cars
I wouldn’t buy them but I’m glad Toyota and Mazda offer so many models to choose from.

The Ranger Car Company really only offers a Ranger with a tub/tray or a Ranger with a closed boot.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2023, 10:23 PM   #108
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToryMikey View Post
I wouldn’t buy them but I’m glad Toyota and Mazda offer so many models to choose from.

The Ranger Car Company really only offers a Ranger with a tub/tray or a Ranger with a closed boot.
Yeah almost accurate and a good point
Plus
9 petrol mustangs ? Supply issues
1 ev Mustang
169 Puma ? Supply issues . A secret in the small suv market?
250 Escape being discontinued leaving no Ford product in the booming mid suv segment
And a low number of Transits due ? Supply issues- handing this segment to LDV
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2023, 10:20 AM   #109
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post

Blobby noddy cars
Except CX50/CX-60/CX-90 are new RWD platforms with AWD ability so drive closer to say a Territory etc which for those that care or enjoy is appreciated, and with their inline six just make enough difference to those opposition products that have gone to 4cyl etc..
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:30 AM   #110
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Not sure if Ford systems are less intrusive but those things don't bother me in our 2021 Escape.

What I would like to see is a system where every time someone changes lanes or enters a turning lane without indicating a giant hand comes out the steering wheel and slaps them in the face. Should get the message across fairly quick.

Manufacturers bring technology to market to save humans from themselves. While they keep bumping in to things, AI will continue to become more involved.

It would be good if DRL's also featured on the rear. At least then the morons who think lights are only to see by rather than also making you more visible to others, will still be able to be seen when they think driving in the pouring rain without lights on is smart.

I love tech in cars. Bring it on.
Old 10-12-2023, 12:28 PM   #111
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

It would be good if DRL's also featured on the rear. At least then the morons who think lights are only to see by rather than also making you more visible to others, will still be able to be seen when they think driving in the pouring rain without lights on is smart.
I can remember when the only people who drove with lights on during the day were Seventh Day Adventists or part of a funeral procession.

2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 05:54 PM   #112
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Went for the grey (wife wanted that colour, also hates red cars). I liked the blue better. Wasn't that big of a fan of thier red. But looks wise I do like the car. There seems to be a couple running around in my area and you can tell it's not a regular style Mazda.

Engine is good. Nice acceleration. Would be great if you could option the CX90 tune. It is more refined then the territory (you would hope so). It's also put together better than most cars (but I've always been impressed with Mazda build quality). The engine sounds alright. I think my G6E turbo sounded better. But one thing that I could complain about is that it is too refined. At least with the old turbo you knew you were moving and I could tell speed of the car better (which is important in cotton wool Victoria). With the CX60 you need to make sure you know your speed as you can get in trouble.

Some things to keep in mind in regards to the vehicle. Servicing looks like it's expensive (plug change after 4 years), but insurance (at least for my wife and I) was the same as my turbo. Fuel usage seems good (compared to the Falcon and Territory). The Mazda entertainment system is very good. I prefer it over the Android auto. I like that they kept the buttons on the dash as opposed to dumping it in the screen and the navigation wheel is easy to master. Also you need to have the engine running to operate the windows....that is actually bad engineering....and annoying having to re-start the car.

It's early days but the car didn't give the feeling of (this is rubbish to drive compared to me old Falcons or Territory). Only the Aussie Commodores were like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
What I would like to see is a system where every time someone changes lanes or enters a turning lane without indicating a giant hand comes out the steering wheel and slaps them in the face. Should get the message across fairly quick.
I like this idea. I suspect many will get concussion. But most of it is just **** to me. It seems like real safety features are done (abs, esp) and now they just reward people who don't pay attention when driving). I like the 360 camera, it's helpful with new cars as they make it harder to see out of.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:30 PM   #113
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Engine is good. Nice acceleration. Would be great if you could option the CX90 tune. It is more refined then the territory (you would hope so). It's also put together better than most cars (but I've always been impressed with Mazda build quality). The engine sounds alright. I think my G6E turbo sounded better. But one thing that I could complain about is that it is too refined. At least with the old turbo you knew you were moving and I could tell speed of the car better (which is important in cotton wool Victoria). With the CX60 you need to make sure you know your speed as you can get in trouble.
It's a double edged sword, customers expect more refinement and noise isolation, but that also takes away some of the sounds we as car enthusiasts crave.

Mazda shame just about every other car company it competes with for quality, especially on the interiors. It's actually quite stunning how Mazda manage to make their interiors look and feel premium without necessarily premium prices.

My sisters entry level Mazda 3 embarrasses my Mustang for interior quality, at half the price! You can't say that 4 extra cylinders costs the same price as an entry level Mazda, Ford are just cheap. Then you look at some of the higher end models and it's no contest! It's a shame Mazda is not as widely successful on the world stage as it is in Australia, it would likely put the other brands on notice and force them to improve.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 07:20 PM   #114
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
It's a double edged sword, customers expect more refinement and noise isolation, but that also takes away some of the sounds we as car enthusiasts crave.

Mazda shame just about every other car company it competes with for quality, especially on the interiors. It's actually quite stunning how Mazda manage to make their interiors look and feel premium without necessarily premium prices.

My sisters entry level Mazda 3 embarrasses my Mustang for interior quality, at half the price! You can't say that 4 extra cylinders costs the same price as an entry level Mazda, Ford are just cheap. Then you look at some of the higher end models and it's no contest! It's a shame Mazda is not as widely successful on the world stage as it is in Australia, it would likely put the other brands on notice and force them to improve.

I didn't like the post 'zoom-zoom' era Mazda, the Mazda 3/6 used to be mint cars to drive, they were my pick out of the Jap manufacturers.

Then all of a sudden they went from being drivers cars to white goods, no steering feel, **** throttle response, might as well as removed the steering wheel and the pedals and given me a PS4 controller to drive the car.

Not sure if the latest stuff is like that but the 2016 era Mazda 3/6 are terrible to drive.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 08:21 PM   #115
ToryMikey

Quote:
I didn't like the post 'zoom-zoom' era Mazda, the Mazda 3/6 used to be mint cars to drive, they were my pick out of the Jap manufacturers.

Then all of a sudden they went from being drivers cars to white goods, no steering feel, **** throttle response, might as well as removed the steering wheel and the pedals and given me a PS4 controller to drive the car.

Not sure if the latest stuff is like that but the 2016 era Mazda 3/6 are terrible to drive.
The change from IRS to torsion beam says it all.

Falcons had more advanced rear suspension in 1982.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:22 PM   #116
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I can remember when the only people who drove with lights on during the day were Seventh Day Adventists or part of a funeral procession.
Seventh Day Adventists? My Catholic sensibilities resent that comment!
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 10:18 AM   #117
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I prefer to drive my Mazda any day over my Territory, I also concur with what Daniel and others have already said with build quality and quality over all, Mazda is a whole different level of refinement compared to any Ford I’ve ever owned.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 11:14 AM   #118
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...Also you need to have the engine running to operate the windows....that is actually bad engineering....and annoying having to re-start the car.
That's odd...your short review has got me thinking next time I pass my local Mazda dealer I'll pop in.....after I visit the local Ford dealer and check out the dark blue F-150 parked outside.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2023, 12:17 PM   #119
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We're building a duplex at the moment, and the 2br 1garage granny flat alone will probably get $400pw. It's lunacy.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2023, 01:50 PM   #120
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I’ve just traded my Focus ST for a 2016 Mazda 3 SP25 and disagree.
Gets going very well and is a great car al round. Engine is super rev happy which is fu, auto box is outstanding. Handling is better than my i30, in saying this peak Mazda 3 handling was the 2010 era - and prior - back when it was a Ford Focus underneath.