Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Default Is a new Clutch Cable required?

Hi Guys.

After being run hard over a weekend long hillclimb event (and one clutch burning burnout by "matty31") I have lost a bit of clutch functionality, and whilst I'm presuming its a cable, I'm open to suggestions.

It's an AU6 with T5Z setup for a 6 with a HD extreme clutch (900kg I believe)

Originally it was a struggle to get into gear sometimes, even with the clutch pushed all the way to the floor, so decision was made to readjust the nut on the firewall where the clutch cable comes through. (no, the firewall isn't cracked)

It took a bit of adjustment before the gear changes cleared up, but then the clutch slippage started occuring. After a fair bit of test and adjust, I am still at the point wwhere gear changes require clutch all the way in and a bit of effort, but I still believe it's slipping a little bit.
The nut is about 1-1.5 cm toward the cab from it's original position, so i am thinking the throwout bearing is sticking (hope not) or just the cable is stretching (a quick and easy solution).

Any advice would be appreciated.

https://****boxrally2015.everydayher.../martini-rally

Ford Courier XLT Crew Cab, 160rwkW+ AUII Forte Family Sedan is now the Race Car!!!
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is a new Clutch Cable required?

I had the same issue as you. I replaced the cable. Genuine from Ford was around $50. That didn't solve the issue. In the end I thought my clutch was gone but when I went to replace it. The pressure and clutch plate was fine and hardly worn.

It ended up being a bent clutch fork. I replaced the spacer and screw to hold the fork in as well.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Assume you've measured the clutch pedal?

should be 140mm travel to the floor.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

FOCUS: i am hoping i don't have to pull out the box and do a fork, haven't got time for that at the moment. I think cable might be my first approach. probably needs doing anyway. If the box does come out, I think I'll save 500 bucks for a hydraulic conversion from the states. much nicer!

Gaz, are you suggesting a bent pedal? i've seen no evidence of the metal being deformed, but is that 140mm travel a hard and fast rule?

Ford Courier XLT Crew Cab, 160rwkW+ AUII Forte Family Sedan is now the Race Car!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I had this years ago, replaced the cable and everything else was still fine. Ended up being the pedal box was bent where the clutch pedal swings off it so it wasn't pushing in as far as normal. If you have a look under there you should be able to tell if its bent or not. It seems to be a fairly common thing on AU's I believe. Everyone that does it welds on some extra reinforcing to the pedal box to stop it happening again

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Gaz
Got Ghia?

140mm of clutch pedal travel is the specs in the workshop manual for it to be adjusted right.

Other than that I'd go with the above, a bent pedal will make it hard to engage. It can look ok from the normal view but goes wonky at the pin up top.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

well, i suppose that's what long weekends are for (unless you need your car like me) I'll spend some time with a torch and suss out the pedal. I'll probably get a new clutch cable anyway, but i'm thinking the pedal is a more likely suspect.

I might source a new box, reinforce it and then do a changeover one day. hopefully be sweet then.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Well. Fri night instead of celebrating the end of a work week and my last piece of work for my degree, I stripped out the pedal box, and was confronted by:

Don't think that clutch should be on that angel. Solution? Took it to a mates workshop, took to it with a hammer, welder and some reinforcing steel rod and she's good as new.....
Thanks Guys

Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Bit of stuffing around to get in and out but at least it didn't cost anything to fix!

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
Bit of stuffing around to get in and out but at least it didn't cost anything to fix!
My sentiments precisely. Although I wish I knew it was easier with a 13mm deep socket. Bought a set before it all went back in! Still cheap though.