Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default NSW: New laws make touching mobile phones while driving illegal

http://www.news.com.au/national/new-...-1226499224587

Quote:
HANDS free will mean exactly that under new laws to make touching a mobile phone while driving illegal.
Under the changes drivers will only be able to use mobiles that are mounted to the car.
The new changes also rule out the growing practice of using mobiles on loud speaker while it rests on your lap.
Motorists will have less than two weeks to break the habit of using their phones on the move, with the changes to come into effect on November 1.
“Holding your phone while talking and driving is already illegal but these changes will mean you cannot touch the phone unless it is mounted,” Centre for Road Safety's Marg Prendergast said.
“Using a mobile phone while driving is dangerous, because it slows reaction times and increases the chance of having a crash.”

Ms Prendergast said a hands-free device reduced the physical effort to make and receive calls.
“The best thing to do is stay off your phone while driving – it can wait,” Ms Prendergast said.
“If you must talk on a hands-free phone while driving keep the conversation short.”
The new laws are part of a raft of changes to the NSW Road Rules that also include new rules for using roundabouts, overtaking, giving way to pedestrians and changes for the heavy vehicle industry.
The penalty for using your phone is 3 demerit points and a $298 fine, or 4 points and a $397 fine if caught in a school zone.
All other functions including texting, video messaging, online chatting, reading preview messages and emailing are also not allowed.
RTA: 2012 Changes to road rules
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads...rules_2012.pdf

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: NSW: New laws make touching mobile phones while driving illegal

Still okay to put your lipstick on, eat Maca's etc. no doubt though...
Old 19-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep... havent been allowed to touch it for a long time in QLD....
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Tobey
BF Ute...

The legislation currently reads "Use hand-held mobile device". So even if you hold it on loudspeaker it is still illegal.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Yep... havent been allowed to touch it for a long time in QLD....
Yea always thought that too... you cant pick it up to look at the clock (as an excuse for example).

A lot of aftermarket CD players these days have bluetooth (as well as factory), so if you plan to up grade your CD player keep that in mind.

Quote:
of course they are... having a greasy burger drop into your lap isnt as distracting.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Some poor souls in Qld have been fined for sitting in their car on the side of the road, talking on the phone. When approached they have had the keys still in the ignition...... and 'bingo' $333.00 on the spot.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
Some poor souls in Qld have been fined for sitting in their car on the side of the road, talking on the phone. When approached they have had the keys still in the ignition...... and 'bingo' $333.00 on the spot.
I've had to pull over on the side of the highway to take urgent mobile phone calls (before bluetooth etc) and I would argue it's safer to keep the car running than stop, turn the car off, sit like a duck on the side of the road than it is to have the car in park with the engine running.

Total lunacy in my humble opinion, people doing (for all intent and purpose) the RIGHT things getting caught out by the revenue police.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
Yep I got pinged 2 years ago for getting it out of my pocket to put it on charge at a set of lights.... Silly me.... I gave mr pol pol a good run for his money tho, wasted 6 months of time backwards and forwards with paperwork.

He said if I had a cradle in the car I would have gotten away with it :S
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank christ for the Bluetooth connectivity in the G6E we have then...

I do agree though...can it really not wait five minutes to pull over somewhere and answer it or wait until later and ring back...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it was already illegal to do anything with a hand held phone in nsw they have just clarifyed the law a bit leaving no room for doubt
for public passenger vehicles it is more strict
no bluetooth either but their regulations allow you to be in the driver seat with engine running provided the vehicle is secured by park brake
http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/site...or-comment.pdf

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT

He said if I had a cradle in the car I would have gotten away with it :S
So how does actually having the phone attached to the car make it any safer? Youre still using the phone. Makes no sense to me.

Luckily the new ute sits higher than most HWP cars
Old 19-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and why are police exempt ? if it's unsafe it's unsafe for all. they may argue they are trained to do it safely, then where can the same training be done by the general public. putting on a uniform doesn't make them magically able to use a phone safely while driving
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
So how does actually having the phone attached to the car make it any safer? Youre still using the phone. Makes no sense to me.

Luckily the new ute sits higher than most HWP cars

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

the cops have to use a CB radio to call into despatch no doubt, how is this any different, or is there a separate set of rules for them?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So while its in a cradle can you read and reply to text messages?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
So while its in a cradle can you read and reply to text messages?
ah.... no

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #16
robbyj
Rob

if i was pulled over to the side of the road on a call, and they pinged me i would be absolutely fuming! your doing the right thing by pulling over, what difference does keys in the ignition make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Yea always thought that too... you cant pick it up to look at the clock (as an excuse for example).
i had to pick up my phone the other day to check the clock as i was in a school zone, still had 2 minutes until the school time was over (so i slowed down of course) but that would have been a nasty fine and hard to explain.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #17
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would say its safer to hold your phone than try and reach out and watch and touch it in a cradle! Stupid rule. Completely ban it or not is the way.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #18
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't have the issue if it was in a Ford Focus! Voice recognition?Maybe it"s a good thing! Your the voice try and understand it...........
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #19
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj
if i was pulled over to the side of the road on a call, and they pinged me i would be absolutely fuming! your doing the right thing by pulling over, what difference does keys in the ignition make?
Agreed, one fine I wouldnt be paying
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #20
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its in a cradle its a lot safer then having your phone lying loose on your lap or on the passenger seat etc. With a cradle at least its secure and you wont be distracted trying to find the phone or by looking down at the seat to see whos calling you.
So the cradle requirement solves part of the distraction issue.
Mounting the cradle reasonably high on the dash just under your line of sight is a good move.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welp time to get a bluetooth adapter, thanks for the heads up mates.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #22
brydie76
Moff-fan

Sorry, but really confused here- what about the fully integrated Bluetooth systems? Eg with my Fezza if I get a call I just hit the button on my radio/steering wheel. Am I still allowed to use that to answer calls, dial, etc with the phone unsecured? (it is usually with in my bag or charging on the cable in the cup holders, no way in hell am I getting a cradle!)

Sorry, local new ran a story last night and they made it sound like the above scenario would not be allowed either, which is ridiculous. Mind you, local news said as well that if your phone is in a cradle, you can touch it to answer calls, but not to make any. Seems a bit odd?

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
“Using a mobile phone while driving is dangerous, because it slows reaction times and increases the chance of having a crash.”
“Using a indicator while driving is dangerous, because it slows reaction times and increases the chance of having a crash.”
“Using a seat belt while driving is dangerous, because it slows reaction times and increases the chance of having a crash.”
“Using a mega phone while driving is dangerous, because it slows reaction times and increases the chance of having a crash.
“Using your hands while driving is dangerous, because it slows reaction times and increases the chance of having a crash.”
“Using a horn while driving is dangerous, because it slows reaction times and increases the chance of having a crash.”
“Using a gearstick while driving is dangerous, because it slows reaction times and increases the chance of having a crash.”
“Using a watch while driving is dangerous, because it slows reaction times and increases the chance of having a crash.”
“Using a mirror while driving is dangerous, because it slows reaction times and increases the chance of having a crash.”

im sure there is more but my point is everything in life is dangerous, give me danger, freedom, natural selection, choice and gardian angels over this instutution anyday.

Last edited by russellw; 20-10-2012 at 10:04 AM.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Nope, they're all illegal to do as well.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If I pulled the sim from my phone, rendering it useless as a communication device and used it as a music player / torch / GPS / voice recorder would that then be ok seeing as it's no longer a 'phone'?

This is getting sooo bloody stupid to be honest..... Any cop who fines somone for talking on the phone while parked is a ...... Oh bum, got to follow the T&C ....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #26
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
If I pulled the sim from my phone, rendering it useless as a communication device and used it as a music player / torch / GPS / voice recorder would that then be ok seeing as it's no longer a 'phone'?

How does removing a SIM card magically transform your phone into something else? Its still a phone, and thats what they will fine you for - using a mobile phone while driving

But I understand the point your making...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
Tomo1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
How does removing a SIM card magically transform your phone into something else? Its still a phone, and thats what they will fine you for - using a mobile phone while driving

But I understand the point your making...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape
Wow i want that car. I need a better paying job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
I'm assuming it has #17 on it for the launch and will be returned to #18 for the race?
Technically speakingif it doesnt have a sim, it cant make a call so it in no longer a phone.
Tomo1972 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo1972
Technically speakingif it doesnt have a sim, it cant make a call so it in no longer a phone.
So if I took the bullets out of my rifle that it is no longer a gun so I don't need to register it or keep it in a secure location........yep that will be a good defense.

And you can make calls without a SIM. 112 works on all phones and all networks.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Actually, technically speaking, it's a handheld device that is illegal. Not a "phone".
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Political correctness will make it illegal for a driver entering a vehicle for fear of a crash. Ridiculous

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont