Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-09-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
Rock ape

Default Mad Max

Just watched Mad Max god i love that movie.

New FG XR6T ZF
Rock ape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 04:24 AM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Heh, I'm gonna pick up the triple disc pack, $30 from JB HiFi for all 3 movies
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 06:17 AM   #3
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Heh, I'm gonna pick up the triple disc pack, $30 from JB HiFi for all 3 movies
I've been told that all the DVD's of Mad Max are the American version and overdubbed with an American accent. The Australian version wasn't released on DVD.
Don't know how true it is though.
XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got the 1st 2 movies which which I got in the past 12 months. No overdubbing with American Accents. Mel Gibsons voice is definatley his.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
BomberXR

Talking

Actually there is an Australian version of Mad Max 1 and 2. The way to distinguish the special edition of Mad Max 1 is by checking the front/back of case, Aussie version has 5.1 DTS sound, is in 16:9 widescreen and is a Village Roadshow Entertainment production (#048859).

The US version was released with the title of "Road Warrior" with a picture of a biker holding a shotgun. Be very careful of the 3 pack because as far as I know the Aussie version of Mad Max 2 has a huge flaw in the picture (breakup, missing frames etc) which means the picture is stuffed momentarily during the film (very disappointing), so check it first maybe before throwing away your receipt!

All in all a great viewing experience...I nearly cried when they killed the interceptor in # 2 Great quotes, action....GOLD! :

Damn Bucky replied first while I was typing out this long winded reply!! ;)
BomberXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
seXCmont
EcoBoostin

man i got a the 3 disc set for christmas and i was told it was quite a lotmines got village roadshow and australia written on the back
seXCmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC GXL
I've been told that all the DVD's of Mad Max are the American version and overdubbed with an American accent. The Australian version wasn't released on DVD.
Don't know how true it is though.
Mad Max the original is the australian version and the best one in my opinion,Mad max 2 or "the road warrior" as the americans decided to re-name it is a warner brothers release so there for it is the american version,im not sure about the third one,I have a PAL and NTSC version of the original and they are both the australian version.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
paddy351
Ford Nut

They named it" the road warrior" for international release for the states and Asia.

Great films, The first one was the best.
paddy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberXR
Actually there is an Australian version of Mad Max 1 and 2. The way to distinguish the special edition of Mad Max 1 is by checking the front/back of case, Aussie version has 5.1 DTS sound, is in 16:9 widescreen and is a Village Roadshow Entertainment production (#048859).

The US version was released with the title of "Road Warrior" with a picture of a biker holding a shotgun. Be very careful of the 3 pack because as far as I know the Aussie version of Mad Max 2 has a huge flaw in the picture (breakup, missing frames etc) which means the picture is stuffed momentarily during the film (very disappointing), so check it first maybe before throwing away your receipt!
Holy hell this forum is a wealth of information! But thanks for that, I'll think twice about grabbing the three pack, might spend the extra and get them all separately now
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the third was a dud imho... Loved the first two but not Beyond THunderdome.. what a crock that movie was :P

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

They way it went was:

Mad Max made and released in aus
Max Max 2 made and released in aus
Mad Max 2 retitled as "road warrior" and redubbed, for american release.
Mad Max 2 had success in America. Mad Max 1 redubed and released in America
Mad Max 3

It's easy to tell what you have, the cover art is different on each version. Australian on the left, American on the right

Both Mad Max 1 and 2 were re-released in America with the original audio once people found out that they were redubbed.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #12
blackwood
FiSTed

Take a good look at the Aust cover for MM2 and you'll notice that it's actually a
publicity shot from Beyond Thunderdome.

In America, the DVD's are done by WB (who have the distribution rights in the U.S).
U.S MM1 can be viewed in either the original Australian audio or the U.S dubbed audio.
The story goes that when MM1 was to be released in the U.S, Warner Bros. thought
that the Australian accent would be to hard for Americans to understand.
So it was re-dubbed in American accents.
The movie was a bit of a flop in the U.S, so when MM2 came about WB decided to
re-title it in the U.S as The Road Warrior and market it as a "new" movie with no
connect to MM1 (I mean, who was going to go watch a sequel to movie they probably
never saw or even heard of in the first place. This is also why there is a voice over
intro at the start of MM2 with clips from MM1 in it. To sort of "re-cap" the story.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
blur1
el wagon

just a bit of useless trivia... i worked on the house where they filmed mad max1. it was where the old lady bailed up the bikies in the barn. it was filmed up the hume highway at mt ridley.( just past craigeburn)i actually slept at the house for 3 nights whilst working there.the house is one of the earliest houses built in melb. it was built for a sea captain and he could see the tall ships in the bay from his telescope apparently. it was bought in the mid 80s by a lady that inherited rowntree hoadleys chocolates and she restoredand modified the house. it was then i worked on it. the film crew even left the original purple drapes inside the house after filming had finished. anyway just thought i'd share. :
blur1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #14
blur1
el wagon

oh yeah, forgot to add at the time i was there it had a dirt driveway and i used to drive sideways through the gates when i'd leave there... lol. :
Old 30-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #15
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Mad Max 3 was painfull... Easily the worst movie i have seen, (and i sat mostly through a J'lo movie)
I got the 3 pack from a Rellie and Beyond thunderdome exited the window on the way home...
What a shocker to go out on....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2007, 12:21 AM   #16
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

2 of my favourite "bloopers" in the first movie:

In the opening chase sequence, the Nightrider is being chased by two Main Force Patrol (MFP) cars (the bright yellow, red and blue ones). In one scene the stolen car driven by the Nightrider and one of the pursuit cars are side by side (they past either side of a small child standing in the road. In the following shot there is a point of view shot of the road ahead which shows a yellow/red/blue car lying on its roof in the road in front the caravan. This vanishes in the next shot when the lead MFP car hits the telephone box and rolls but reappears seconds later as the second MFP car (with the smashed in nose) goes through the caravan.

and

In the scene where Max's wife goes to get ice cream, you can see Max's Black Interceptor in the driveway of one of the houses.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #17
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo

In the opening chase sequence, the Nightrider is being chased by two Main Force Patrol (MFP) cars (the bright yellow, red and blue ones). In one scene the stolen car driven by the Nightrider and one of the pursuit cars are side by side (they past either side of a small child standing in the road. In the following shot there is a point of view shot of the road ahead which shows a yellow/red/blue car lying on its roof in the road in front the caravan. This vanishes in the next shot when the lead MFP car hits the telephone box and rolls but reappears seconds later as the second MFP car (with the smashed in nose) goes through the caravan.

and

In the scene where Max's wife goes to get ice cream, you can see Max's Black Interceptor in the driveway of one of the houses.
I've watched that movie that many times and never noticed that,I'm going to have to watch it again now to check that.
Old 30-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #18
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
Mad Max 3 was painfull... Easily the worst movie i have seen, (and i sat mostly through a J'lo movie)
I got the 3 pack from a Rellie and Beyond thunderdome exited the window on the way home...
What a shocker to go out on....
I'll agree with that it was a painfull movie to watch..I'll never buy the triple pack
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2007, 01:51 AM   #19
Thornie
Off smelting

man im' going to watch them both now, me and a mate went to broken hill for there 20th anniversary of maxdax 2 back in 2001 i think was best fun we had in ages. they had a cinema screening with display replicas out the front the of the movies a car show fancy dress party at the musicians club and a ton of other stuff on as well, was well worth the trip there.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #20
blur1
el wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo

and

another bit of trivia... that 1st blooper was filmed at CHERRY LANE in laverton victoria.... yep, where i used to street drag in the 80's...lol.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 AM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

Can people stop referring to 'Beyond Thunderdome' as MM3 please.

IMO there were only two MM movies. Maybe 3 pending on 'Fury road'.

Note: As the movies were made on late 70's (then early 80's) on a very low budget, so errors will happen.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 01:07 AM   #22
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

Theres a sort of blooper that I think most people would have seen. When the biker crashes head first into the semi. In one shot u can see that they have placed what looks like a large board on the front of the truck and then painted on the bull bar and headlights of the truck onto the board, then in the next side on shot it is gone again.
samsy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 01:24 AM   #23
kremmen

there was a blooper in beyond thunderdome.

it was the movie.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:28 AM   #24
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
Mad Max the original is the australian version and the best one in my opinion,Mad max 2 or "the road warrior" as the americans decided to re-name it is a warner brothers release so there for it is the american version,im not sure about the third one,I have a PAL and NTSC version of the original and they are both the australian version.
I've got the Aussie VHS Trilogy which I converted to DVD because I was told (don't forget that I now live in the UK) that all DVD versions were US versions.
Glad that I was wrong as when I get back home I will buy the DVD's.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Wayne
XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #25
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
I've watched that movie that many times and never noticed that,I'm going to have to watch it again now to check that.
me too
Old 02-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #26
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Without a doubt, the best website. I spent a couple days going through it.
http://www.madmaxmovies.com/
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 12:48 AM   #27
VIBEBA
huh???

Nice find mate some interesting stuff there..
The bridge where the final scene was shot in the first film i know quite well i used to work on a farm down gellies rd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970galaxie
Without a doubt, the best website. I spent a couple days going through it.
http://www.madmaxmovies.com/

Last edited by grubsta; 02-10-2007 at 12:57 AM.
VIBEBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #28
blackwood
FiSTed

I know I'm probably gonna start a s***fight here but...

The black coupe is not an "Interceptor". The black cars are "Pursuit Specials".
Note that in the start of the MM1, the car Nightrider is driving is refered to as a Pursuit Special - "This one hurts. It's one of ours...a pursuit special".

The Yellow/Red/Blue XB Max is driving at the start is an "Interceptor".
Point in case, when they return from Johnny the boy's court case, Charlie is heard to
say - "I can see the interceptor." refering to Max's car.
In the US trailer for the movie, Max is also refered to as "A top Interceptor for the Main Force Patrol".

The other Y/R/B cars are just "Pursuits".

Call me OCD, but it's something I get pedantic about...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #29
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur1
just a bit of useless trivia... i worked on the house where they filmed mad max1. it was where the old lady bailed up the bikies in the barn. it was filmed up the hume highway at mt ridley.( just past craigeburn)i actually slept at the house for 3 nights whilst working there.the house is one of the earliest houses built in melb. it was built for a sea captain and he could see the tall ships in the bay from his telescope apparently. it was bought in the mid 80s by a lady that inherited rowntree hoadleys chocolates and she restoredand modified the house. it was then i worked on it. the film crew even left the original purple drapes inside the house after filming had finished. anyway just thought i'd share. :
Yeah, I've heard that house is around there somewhere... I haven't actaully found it yet!

The wreckers yard where they stop to have their flat tyre fixed, is the Old Craigieburn wreckers yard... The old Chev the max dropped on the guy whilst working on it, was offered to my dad to buy... He turned it down because it was a rusty POS :P

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #30
SHIFTN
CL&JW BATHURST CHAMPS!

I haven't actually watched it but I know I have MM1 around here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
geeves can you pass the toothpicks please, i have some rice stuck between my teeth.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwley93
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.

Last edited by SHIFTN; 02-10-2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spellling mistook
SHIFTN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post