Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
falcontonner

Default hid lights hi lo beam in au?

hey guys i was lookin to put hid lights in my au just wondering if nyone has done this. and does anyone know if the high and low beam will work off the same h4 globe as well as then normal high beam globe?
cheers

falcontonner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

don't really understand what you're trying to ask re the high low beam globe.

Your car has H4 globes in the outer and H1 globes in the inner so you need to replace both with HID versions. You need four ballasts in total and four HID globes.

Are you going to fit some kind of light levelling kit - off a Focus/Fiesta or something? You also need a wiper/washer setup for them to pass rego in places like NSW/ACT.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
falcontonner

its in the nt so they are pretty good. i just wanted to replace the h4 ones for now and want them to work for high and low beam. as well as halogen H1 for high beam. hope this is a bit better
cheers
Old 26-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
T3man
Banned

You already have halogen H1 for high beam. You can get H4 HID kits that do both high and low beam - called Bi-Zenon. The cheapo kits do low beam only and not worth the effort. In fact I don't believe HID is worth the effort in any case as all you'll be doing is annoying oncoming traffic mostly.

My advice is to replace your existing H4 and H1 globes with some good quality (read NOT Narva) globes like Philips Clear Vision Plus 30 or Plus 50.

Then if you still feel you need more light, it is cheaper and more effective to put a couple of extra driving lights on the car than to fit HIDs.
Old 26-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
falcontonner

ok so if i get the Bi-Zenon ones they will work on high beam as well as the h1 globes?
i do alot of driving where there are no street lights and a few wallabies around so looking for good low and high beams.
Old 26-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

NO, listen up ... Bi Zenon work on high and low beam on H4 only (your outers). You need two extra ballasts and HID H1 globes for your inners.
Old 26-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
falcontonner

yeah so if i get Bi-Zenon h4 and have high beam on the Bi-Zenon will be on high beam as well as my standard h1
Old 26-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Eleanor

Thumbs up for Philips Plus 50's. They're great. Big improvement over standard without the cost of HID.

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Australian design rules say you can only have HID low beams if you have self levelling lights AND lens washers/wipers. you can however have HID high beams. I looked into it when I wanted to do my Fairlane. My suggestion is that you go a good +50 in your H4s and HID in your H1s. I run Phillips +50 in my 'lanes low beam and they are plenty good enough to see the wildlife and 55w HID at 6000k (white light) in the high beam and in the Fairlanes p1ssy little 5" diffused lenses they penetrate a spot a good 450m and flood out to 20m periforally and 150-200m up the road, in a word they are brilliant, it's like daylight. In comparison, my missus' AU wagon is running +50 H4s which, on low beam, are a much better spread and brighter than my 'lanes due to the bigger reflectors and 100w H1s PLUS 100w Narva 170s when high beam is flicked on and I have to say, my 'lane is every bit the equal of the wagon once the high beams are on and personally I can see better definition and can spot wildlife easier in my 'lane with the white light than I can with the yellower light in the wagon. You can pick up a good Aussie seller HID kit with warranty on ebay for well under $200 and you'll pay that and more if you go the bolt on driving light route.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Aftermarket HID low beam kits also state "off-road use only" ... as they are not legal to install a HID capsule inside a reflector (or even a projector) designed for halogen. The beam pattern is completely different (due to the fact the filament distance from the base of the globe unit is different).

HID highbeams are fine though (hence there are a range of HID driving lights available).

If you are after better coverage low beam globes ... IPF Fatboy globes are the brightest available on the market (ARB is the distributor for them) ... expect to pay decent coin for them though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

Ok so now we have all given this bloke a reccommendation of what is right and what is wrong. It is his cAr if he chooses to run HID's and gets pinged it's his problem and not ours.

Now to answer the question. Yes I believe that is how the hi-lo/bi-xenon kits operate. Your H4 will now have high and low beam and then your H1 halogen will still operate. I only put a low beam kit in my car because I could not be bothered stuffing around with the extra wiring.

Last edited by HLC; 27-05-2010 at 11:43 AM.
HLC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
T3man
Banned

Wow ... great post from a moderator. NOT

Get spell check mate.

And if experienced people offer advice (no one told him NOT to do it) to the guy about legalities or otherwise I would have thought you'd be in favour of that fact and not criticise us for it.

Oh, but wait ... I see you don't care too much for having a roadworthy (read road legal) car yourself.

Old 27-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Wow ... great post from a moderator. NOT

Get spell check mate.

And if experienced people offer advice (no one told him NOT to do it) to the guy about legalities or otherwise I would have thought you'd be in favour of that fact and not criticise us for it.

Oh, but wait ... I see you don't care too much for having a roadworthy (read road legal) car yourself.

I'm not one for getting into arguments, but that was typed off my iPhone, so it's pretty easy to make mistakes, and i'm not too fussed about it either. I know I can spell.

I was merely answering the question. He wanted to know. Yes HID's are illegal without all the other gear. Yes I know that, and thought about that before making my car 'unroadworthy'. But I did notice everybody hanging crap on him and not directly answering the question. I answered the question simple as that.

I'm sure your custom headlights aren't ADR Approved. I know that mine aren't either, even though they have been compiled by parts that were ADR approved in other models (HID's aside).

Just like I am sure there are many other moderator's cars on here which are not roadworthy because of modification. What I do to my car is irrelevant in this discussion. I moderate the forums, not the road rules and what is legal or not.

If you have anything else to say I would be more than happy to take it to PM.
Old 27-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
T3man
Banned

Yeah, iphones are just way too hard for my fat fingers to even contemplate.

Sorry but I didn't see one person putting crap on the guy at all - maybe your iphone catches things between the lines as well. My eyes, old and tired as they are, only saw constructive offerings of help and genuine attempts to answer his questions accurately and without ambiguity. It was difficult for a while (for me at least) as, quite frankly, the questions were not put very clearly in the first instance.

As for my car's headlights ... I can assure you 100% that every light on every car I own has ADR stamp and approval. And yes, they are highly modified in some cases but that, in itself, is not an offence.

Oops, just got a call from the boss; be right back. Coming Russel.

PS. Sorry for getting a bit toey in the other post too HLC
Old 27-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have had the bi-xenon H4s and the H1s for high beam in a previous car, and there is nothing better than a HID high beam. i would not recommend going low beam - you will just continually get flashed by other motorists as they think you have high beam on. my advice would be to fit the HID kit in the H1s, and leave your low beam as a standard halogen set up. Your choice of course, but if you do decide to go with the HIDs, the cheap kits on eBay are fine (I've had 3 on 3 different cars and no failure at all). I would recommend the 4300K ones for the H4, and 6000K ones for the H1s. You can kit the whole car out for under $200.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
falcontonner

thanks alot guys. i knew what i was trying to ask just a bit hard to get it across but all is good now ive got some answers. thanks to all who had their input.
off to ebay to have a look at prices.
cheers
as for the cheap kits on ebay they are all made in china anyway just with a different sticker on them.