Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Coasters

I’m trying to convince the gay nomads to NOT buy a bus with the idea of making it into a motor home.

They’ve found a Coaster priced in the low teens, about 12 years old and 3/4M on the clock.

What sort of chassis and drivetrain life are these designed to have? Do they have chronic flaws in the chassis or structure?

My only exposure to this model was 25+ years ago with an engine swap using a Dellow bellhousing. Completely irrelevant experience to something from around 2009, but I’m suspicious that like a lot of “iconic” things the parrot chatter of how you do what you do, lingers well after common sense or practicality has departed.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Coasters

first thing, set fire to the bloody thing

not technically minded but these were local short haul stop start buses, I doubt designed for long cruises over wild country roads.

please if they get it, either kill the bus or the grey nomads.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

well its a Toyota, been around for years and years as we know and have seen them used for years as well for the motor home.
I can't see why not, even as intended for local Bus or Aged Care use they keep on keeping on to me.
K's and regular servicing is the key for a good one.
Some good intel here mate
https://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=42983
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

We have a fleet of Rosa's, they're the Mitsubishi equivalent,
and just keep on going despite getting flogged and treated like crap by kids, id imagine the Toyota would be slightly better again.
Nothing wrong with open road driving, infact they prefer it, especially if auto and or dpf versions.

The Rosa is cheaper to buy too, or, same money, less k's, worth consideration.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #5
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m trying to convince the gay nomads to NOT buy a bus with the idea of making it into a motor home.
What's a 'gay nomad'?
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

political correctness forbids me to answer that correctly.
Tactfulness is a waste of time.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #7
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

They’ve found a Coaster priced in the low teens, about 12 years old and 3/4M on the clock.

What sort of chassis and drivetrain life are these designed to have? Do they have chronic flaws in the chassis or structure?

My only exposure to this model was 25+ years ago with an engine swap using a Dellow bellhousing. Completely irrelevant experience to something from around 2009, but I’m suspicious that like a lot of “iconic” things the parrot chatter of how you do what you do, lingers well after common sense or practicality has departed.
"I’m trying to convince the gay (hehe) nomads to NOT buy a bus with the idea of making it into a motor home."

Why? They are a pretty good vehicle for the job - I'd do it in a flash. It has worked for hundreds of other nomads, and fairly cheap to do. Tell them to keep it simple (inside layout) and to get cruise control maybe.

"They’ve found a Coaster priced in the low teens, about 12 years old and 3/4M on the clock."

Age is good, plenty of life in it unless it was a mining company runabout or something like that.
"3/4M on the clock" - don't understand that one, 3-400k kms? Probably still ok for a camper, even a round Oz trip only adds 20k or so.

"What sort of chassis and drivetrain life are these designed to have? Do they have chronic flaws in the chassis or structure?"

The chassis and driveline are robust enough. I have found driving them that the steering takes a bit of getting used to, seem to wander on the road with constant steering correction, I think due to a bit of "roll steer" induced by body sway in the wind. But not much harder than a car to drive. They may have improved the steering on later models, it was a common complaint.

With the rear door opening, my starting point would be bed across the rear of the bus, supported on a metal frame with height enough for big storage area under, accessed from rear doors, and with cupboards under the front of the bed accessed from inside. Voila, half finished.

My B-in-L has an ex-school bus fitted out, it's a pretty smooth vehicle.

Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #8
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id start with figuring out what and where they want to go. there are limits to where you can take a bus, I've seen a few towing a Suzuki jimmy etc.

The bus also uses a lot of diesel, a determining factor for caravaners.

14 years old? maybe consider this converted Ford Transit $55K
https://www.caravancampingsales.com....-5281780/?Cr=3
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

converted coasters seem to cost a lot more
https://www.caravancampingsales.com....oyota/coaster/
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Another option which is far more roomier than the 24 seat coaster/rosa is the Mercedes 28 seat bus which also has driver walk through.
Weve just retired one from our fleet that would make a good base.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:38 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Some good information thus far; by 3/4M km I meant three-quarters of a million.

The underlying suspicion I have is that you get a Coaster “because that’s what you do”. As in, doctrinally prescriptive - not necessarily logical. The suggestions of alternative marques are very helpful.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

When I worked in the transport section of the WA Education Department in the 1970's they were bus of choice for most rural school bus contractor due to their robustness (being used on many gravel road and even outback bus routes), rust resistance in salt lake country, lower running costs and reliability. From what I see of school buses on country roads now I suspect that is still the case. The basis recipe and concept has not changed much over the years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Coaster and is a good example of Toyota's slow but steady continuous improvement philosophy. It won't necessarily be exciting or inspiring but it won't let you down or be horrid either.

Last edited by aussiblue; 10-03-2021 at 04:12 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Note in the case of country school buses used on salted effected routes regardless of the brand the buses in those days were all "rust proofed" usually with fishoil by a company called Beam in Perth (edit just checked and they are still in business http://www.beamrustproofing.com.au/P...tproofing.html )and the undercarriage well washed down at least weekly. All school buses also had to pass and periodic inspection for the Education Department's School Bus Inspectors and failed if there was any significant rust damage found.

I would have to agree with the https://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=42983 that rather than converting and old coaster to a camper an exiting conversion would be a better and likely cheaper option
Quote:
you will not go wrong if you buy a reasonable Coaster that is already converted, even a quite old one.
. But I would have someone with suitable knowledge, skills and experience thoroughly check it out first both mechanically, body integrity (rust) and conversion quality and safety. A retired school bus inspector or an existing on prepared to do some moonlighting would a good choice as they know what to look for and are set up to mobile on-site inspections.

Last edited by aussiblue; 10-03-2021 at 05:18 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
We have a fleet of Rosa's, they're the Mitsubishi equivalent,

and just keep on going despite getting flogged and treated like crap by kids, id imagine the Toyota would be slightly better again.

Nothing wrong with open road driving, infact they prefer it, especially if auto and or dpf versions.

The Rosa is cheaper to buy too, or, same money, less k's, worth consideration.
Rosa is also a fraction bigger and longer I believe? Coaster fits 21 Rosa 24 due to extra length / row.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I toy with the idea of converting a van to a motor home.

Anything fitted with a lined interior is good because you can strip it out, make your home and providing you don't cause too much damage you can return it back to original and hide everything behind the interior panels.

Better still do a decent conversion and sell as is when finished.

From what I recall the Coaster engine was same as Land Cruiser/ Prado??

Seen some of them converted to 4x4 as well.

MB has an extra long Sprinter that's 7.35m long but it may be a little more costly and have no side windows.

If you were going to do it stick to Coaster for 1st choice, Rosa as second and the rest after.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Old 10-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #16
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Some good information thus far; by 3/4M km I meant three-quarters of a million.
Although I think the Coaster is a good vehicle, 750k kms would probably be a no-go for me at that sort of price, unless it has good known history.
Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2021, 12:24 AM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

There's always this; it's both a coaster and a camper:

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-03-2021 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:12 AM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The low entry prices of higher mileage buses were a temptation, but I think it could be just the entry ticket to an expensive exercise. The guys are picky, very picky about quality of work and an existing conversion would have to be of high standard and still quite fresh, to appeal.

I think the best thing I can do, is stall them until international travel resumes - at which point they will be off like a shot. Hopefully to Eastern Europe from where I can be sent bulk care packages of zefir.

Otherwise I can see myself having to hard-stand an incomplete conversion with 2-3 years between bouts of work when they are here, and that’s a lot of registration money paid down against slippery timetables - you couldn’t afford to go through re-registration each time.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #19
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
The low entry prices of higher mileage buses were a temptation, but I think it could be just the entry ticket to an expensive exercise. The guys are picky, very picky about quality of work and an existing conversion would have to be of high standard and still quite fresh, to appeal.

I think the best thing I can do, is stall them until international travel resumes - at which point they will be off like a shot. Hopefully to Eastern Europe from where I can be sent bulk care packages of zefir.

Otherwise I can see myself having to hard-stand an incomplete conversion with 2-3 years between bouts of work when they are here, and that’s a lot of registration money paid down against slippery timetables - you couldn’t afford to go through re-registration each time.
They wont be alone there, as soon as international travel kicks off the market will be flooded with RV's of every type and every state of 'renovation'.
Then theres the hundreds of orders for new builds stretching out beyond christmas that will fall over for the same reasons, im half tempted to flog ours now at a nice profit and go in dry on some poor bastard when the fire sales start.
My brother just signed up for a new van, his first, 80k, with a November delivery, he'll have moved on by then nothing surer.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #20
nstg8a

One of the main reason coasters are popular is because they’re easily downgraded to be able to be driven on a car license.

Mechanicals are pretty robust but older non turbo ones are slow. Like reeeeeeally slow.
Measure the 1/4 mile time with a sundial slow....

Rust is the biggest issue, especially on older ones.

Jap imports buses are better equipped and more likely to be auto. Aussie ones are all manual.

Seats are rubbish, Kia carnival ones are popular swaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #21
PhilT2

A friend stacked his motorhome earlier this week, had a head on somewhere near Geelong. Luckily all concerned walked away bruised but not broken but the bus is likely to be written off. His is not a coaster, a Hino I think, so still a Toyota but rear engine. Surprised all got off so lightly, there's not a lot in front of you in older buses.
PhilT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2021, 02:46 AM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
One of the main reason coasters are popular is because they’re easily downgraded to be able to be driven on a car license.
Can you elaborate on this please?

Old 12-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Buy a yacht.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #24
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

How do they café-hop in a yacht?
Old 12-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
How do they café-hop in a yacht?
At the marina's, we did.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #26
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Can you elaborate on this please?

From factory they’re just over the weight limit for a car license. I believe in every state you can de-rate them to (I think it’s 4495kg or thereabouts) to enable them to be driven on a car license instead of needing a light rigid license.
It’s a double edged sword, as it then means you need to be pretty careful with fitout construction to ensure you don’t go over weight.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:53 PM   #27
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
From factory they’re just over the weight limit for a car license. I believe in every state you can de-rate them to (I think it’s 4495kg or thereabouts) to enable them to be driven on a car license instead of needing a light rigid license.
It’s a double edged sword, as it then means you need to be pretty careful with fitout construction to ensure you don’t go over weight.
Derating sounds sort of alright until it gets fitted out and the 100 litre water tank gets filled,along with the toilet tank,an extra battery and a couple of gas bottles
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2021, 11:16 PM   #28
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Derating sounds sort of alright until it gets fitted out and the 100 litre water tank gets filled,along with the toilet tank,an extra battery and a couple of gas bottles

Yeah exactly. Can still build a nice fitout, you just need to pay attention to weight.
Personally I think I’d just leave it and get my truck license. Then can go nuts with the fitout.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #29
roKWiz
Cabover nut

First truck/motorhome conversion I built was just over 4495 GVM and had it de rated to under (as a truck) but it didn't mean a thing the moment I had to re apply for the change of identification to a MH, it instantly was rated over that 4495 to 5700 with the most basic fitout.
One of the most important things you need to prove is change of ID with a official weightbridge ticket, so unless I rocked up there without the rear barn doors, spare wheel and half the galley missing it wasn't going to loose that weight gain in the fitout.
They also checked (purple slip) to see if it had all the necessary components to qualify as a motorhome ie beds, built in seating, galley, cooker, sink, holding tanks (black, grey fresh) , sep toilet, shower compartments etc all the things that add weight significantly.
Motorhome rego is based on GVM no matter what. Some of the old petrol 80's Coasters you could probably build under the truck licence threshold but the newer mid 90s on Coaster gain a lot of weight and lenght by comparison.

C.B I have a nice clean rebuilt T3500 bus chassis to start building on.

Biggest problem I found with Coaster like buses is their width along with Sprinters and Transit vans. One reason why I like to convert using proper truck cab/chassis then you can build to the full legal width and not go as long.

3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2021, 09:32 AM   #30
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Wiz - what happened to the T3500 body?