Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Default How to build a project car?

Well after many years of fooling around with ideas for my XY wagon it looks like it may finally be able to come to fruition. The garden shed goes up on Monday to store all the parts in, and after that I should be able to start stripping the car.

Seems this is my first build, I want to keep it relatively simple, just a tidy up couple of little mods, swap the engine, trans and diff, upgrade to disc brakes all around and some simple interior mods.

But my first question is in what order should I do everything? Obviously after it is all stripped the rust repairs will be done first but then what? Do I put the engine, trans, tail shaft and diff in and get all of that working before I start the panel work?

Just so you can have an idea. I’m planning for a fairly mild 460 + C6 combo, leaf sprung disc brake LSD out of an XF-ish wagon, push button auto from a AP5 Val, disc brake front end from a XW/Y.

I’m writing a list of mods at the moment, to try and get an idea of what I’ll need to buy.

So what should be my plan of attack? I would prefer info from people who have rebuilt a car before, and would really like to hear from someone who has put the engine/trans combination in that I'm looking at.

Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jees I'd hate to see what you would do if you did a diificult rebuild instead of a simple one.Sounds like it's going to be a nice car once it's finished.When I did my two rebuilds I had all the body work done before starting on anything else.The first one an XF I put the driveline in after that then the interior, but mainly did it that way as the whole car was being rewired so it turned out easier with the motor etc in and no interior.The second one an XW I had all the body work done then the interior and the driveline went in last.Which way you do is up to you but I found for each of my builds that they were the easiest ways of doing them. Keep us all updated as to how it goes as it sure sounds like it will be one tough XY. Good Luck with it all.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Good luck with the project mate!

Doesnt really matter what order you do things, just make a plan and stick to it from the start, this will stop spending money 2 or 3 times as you change your mind.

And remember its your car and your money, so do what you want and not what others say you should do. You will be alot happier in the end.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
Seems this is my first build, I want to keep it relatively simple, just a tidy up couple of little mods, swap the engine, trans and diff, upgrade to disc brakes all around and some simple interior mods.
Why is it that so many articles in mags like street machine always start with this sort of idea? :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Why is it that so many articles in mags like street machine always start with this sort of idea? :
Because so many people ( mainly young ) read the crap they print in their mag and think that all these things are simple to do and not much cost involved. Its better to go to a show and have a real decent talk to some of the guys that have done projects similar to what you are looking at doing. This way hopefully you can learn some of the donts and get a much better idea of whats ahead for your car. I never have a problem telling/showing someone things on my car when I know they are serious and they dont mind listening to you.
Old 30-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
klawsterfobik

Thanks for the replies so far, i've had the plan for my car for a while so im pretty set on what i want, there wont be too many variations. Trust me Rapid when i say this is my idea of a simple build, the original plans included airbags, complete re-wire, polished brake lines routed through the chassis, underbody detailing, big brakes, bucket seats front and back, custom dash, false floor for the wagon compartment with my audio gear underneath, big flame job, etc etc.

So once the body work is done and in primer, move to the driveline and brakes, then the interior? I need to plan it, other wise it will end up a major project and get completely out of hand and end up at Sims.

It'll end up in the Project Cars section when i start work on it...
Old 30-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Well good luck with it. Seems you are fairly sure of what you want and its not that hard to get it going mate. Just take your time and enjoy it. And PLENTY of pics for the rest of us is always a good move!
Old 30-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
klawsterfobik

i know how much i crave pictures of what everyone else is doing, so i'll definately be putting up some. As long as i get to ask 10 questions for every picture i put up

Last edited by klawsterfobik; 30-09-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 30-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

only a simple project?
the things that makes it easiest i feel is have a detailed plan, good tools and a decent sized and spotless area to work,
this is why my XD project failed.lol. :
but i want to start a new one anyways...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #10
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rapid's idea is the way to go do the body work and then thats over and done with then do the rest and drop the engine in last

Dont forget im only 5 mins away and will be more then happy to help ya strip the beast down :
Daniel351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
peedee

Hi
not trying to rain on your parade but you do know that the cables from an ap5 valiant press button selector are for a torqflite box and the seals where the cables enter the box are getting hard to find, the actual shifting (selection of the gears) is done inside the box and not by a lever on the outside of the box, it is only on the vc model and later that it went to external shift mechanisms. Not knowing much about C6 boxes I figure they are externally shifted.
peter
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #12
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think very similar rules would apply for a project car as much as a restoration ( of anything ).

The Art of Restoration, is the best possible outcome for the least amount of time, and the least amount of money.

So study and plan well as others have said, and analyse these two factors into each part of the project.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #13
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

So easy to restore a part, then look at another and find you need to restore that to get it into the same condition and so on, ending up doing heaps more than originally intended. But you end up with a much better car than originally intended, although costing much more.

However I would suggest you restore the body first and paint it before stuffing anything into it. (Dont scratch the paint though) Its hard to paint around brake lines wiring, engines, interior etc.
Remember that mechanical parts especially brakes will deteriorate if you leave it unused after restoration of that part, while working on something else. Therefore leave brakes to last, engine , transmission etc second last etc. However you can do the driveshaft, suspension parts etc that wont deteriorate so quickly to be ready for assembly when you need them.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 AM   #14
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

O.K. well at least you are starting off with a good model
Like Agony and doc said Plan your Build and stick to it
and if you can keep track of what you have done .
I have a Project Book and in it every part i have modded I have a pic of and each part where it bolts to and some times I even write down what size bolt it is ( stuped I know )
The thing I think you might find is that as you are removing a 302/351 and you want a 460 in there then you will have a bit of modding to do ..
Get ALL your running gear in there and working first
That way when it comes to final assembly you will know that it will all work and you dont have to drill any new holes or make any brackets.. The other thing is that you can smooth over all the holes that you do not need.
The paint and body work can nealy allways wait till nealy the end as thats the part you do not want to scratch . .
The trimms are a hard one to do .. You ether get it done by a Pro or you do it yourself.. If your self I would do it again before I paint the inside edges of the body so i would not care if i scratched it at first .. Then pull it all out again ..
I know it sounds like a lot of waisted time and effort But at least if you have it all done and compleat first then all you have to do is strip and paint and assemble again ..
I have removed and refitted my motor 2 times now and removed and refitted my interior a lot more then that ..
Every thing I pulled off my XW I put into plastic bags and wrote on them what was in there how many and where they went .. I did this with my XD it was a 5 year build and did not loose ANY parts Thats why I have done this again ..
Good luck with it and remember that it is YOUR car Do it your way and so long as you are happy with it then it dose not matter what anybody else would think of it. and the end is closer the more you work on it..
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #15
klawsterfobik

i know its a pretty tard-*** way about it. But i was thinking i'll get the body right, and not paint it. Then install all my brakes, diff, engine, trans and rest of the driveline and bits that have to be modified to fit. That way i know they are all going to fit. Then pull them all out spray the car and re-install.

peedee: yes i am aware that the pushbutton is cable operated, but im looking at either modifying the actual console to house electric switches which will operate solonoids to change gears, or use the existing cable system to change gears on the C6. I'll get a better idea when i can look at both.

I dont want a show stopper, just a clean, tough streeter
Old 01-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #16
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
i know its a pretty tard-*** way about it. But i was thinking i'll get the body right, and not paint it. Then install all my brakes, diff, engine, trans and rest of the driveline and bits that have to be modified to fit. That way i know they are all going to fit. Then pull them all out spray the car and re-install.
I too agree with this.

My XA was in primer finish (battleship grey! lol) first - then got all the mechanical done - then stripped again to be painted - then reassembled again!

I think it sort of makes sense too - so that once you re-install your sorted mechanicals, they just have to be banged in and thats that. You arent leaning over your nice painted front quarters doing mechanical work if it needs sorting.

Best of luck with it. Remember even the best plans will deviate - just roll with the punches and dont ever lose the faith of your final vision. Oh yeh - you're gonna go over budget too. Thats a given!
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #17
Bax
Projecting

Projects are a nightmare. If you could I'd try and track down every single part you need before you begin.

Panel before Drivetrain/Engine or vice versa, thats a tough one. With mine I originally planned for engine in before paint, but I just couldn't work it that way. It makes sense - you don't want to be working on the car with fresh panel work. Because no matter what its going to get marked somehow.

I think everyone else has already stated this though, I think if your doing it yourself your a little more careful with everything, and if thats the path you choose to take, make sure you use every prevantative measure there is. Cloths, anything to cover everything.

Double/ Triple your estimate on budgets. If you can afford to be patient- be as patient as you can. You don't want to pay 1000 for something you can get for 300.

Be prepared for things not always going to plan. It's very easy to stray from the target while everythings laid out ready in front of you.

That's about all the advice I can give for a first time project. Mines been off the road for over a year now and still not done.
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #18
fos408

Default project

I like the sound of your project .There are good points here but my advise is to check out the rego rules in your state to see what you can get away with,ie with a big block what chassis work ,brakes (min standard)diff is permitted ,for instance in SA you need a disk brake full floater,do you need an engineers report. I would check all this first as no point in paying for parts you may need to replace . I would also visit shows and check out the workmanship and find out the tradies these people used and recommend as getting a job done correctly first time by somebody will save you alot of heart ache and bucks .I agree with another comment about doing each area to the same standard ,nothing looks as crappy as great paint with poor detail in other areas ,if you take the time to pull it all apart spend the time to to make it all look great , and that doesnt always mean big bucks some times its just taking the time to smooth something before hitting it with the spray can . The only other thing is nobody loves your project like you do so try doing stuff that you think is beyond you (read some books,ask people) as I found that it is great when your finished but getting there and learning every thing about it on the way is the best part and I noticed Daniel offered to help, take him up on it I know i jump at the chance to help somebody .
fos408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #19
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your nor going to paint the car befor putting the drive line in , atleast paint the engine bay (after a dummy fit of every thing so you know it fits) then get hold of two decint size removalist blankets and fold them and lay them over the engine bay paint while you put the moter in so as not to scrtch any thing
go for it bud n have fun

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

The stages of build, minus another 200 odd photos are in the link below from the start to finish. Engine went in after panels done with first coat of primer about 1/2 way though. It was also a good change to go from the panels then driveline to break it up a bit as just doing panels for months on end or visa vera can send you bit batty. Once completing engine and driveline in made the car moving around much better in a tighter space.

Actual painting of the car was completed absolute last thing once interior and engine was completed.

AND best of luck with the job and keep us all posted as it goes on. When things start to go 'not according to plan' dont worry......its all good in the end. Just might cost you an extra few $$$$

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #21
klawsterfobik

good idea fos408, ill go have a talk to VicRoads, and when they're no help ill go see an engineer to see what i need to do.

Im pretty adament about doing most of the work myself, except for engine and bits that really matter, diff, gearbox, and possibly the final spray. Door jambs, underbody and possibly enginebay will be done by me.

Thanks for the support so far, hopefully Tuesday ill start into it. I'll need doggy bags, and i will be taking Daniel up on his offer for sure.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #22
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

dont worry ive got a camera :P ill take some photos when im around helping him
Daniel351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post