Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New series of Underbelly

Just heard on the Logies that there will be a 2nd series of Underbelly. I haven't watched the series myself, but where can they take it from here? If everyone is dead or in jail what do they do? Make up new characters?

If they are making up new characters, I don't think it will be anywhere near as popular as the 1st series as it was based on real life people and events (mostly) and from the little I have seen, it wasn't that good anyway.

What do you guys think?

JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Scott

There's plenty more characters out there, Ben Cousins for one :togo:
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I enjoy the series. The most amazing thing for me is that this stuff actually happened. Its more out there than half the made up crap on telly. I doubt fiction could be as good.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Jase_Boss
Casual surfer

It will never be as good as the original

But they may do OK ie soprano's
GTF-#97-Kinetic/Matte Black, Manual, Enjoying it daily
Sold- 08 FG XR8 Sed EGO, 6 speed m, 80mm John Bowe throttle body, K&N air filter, Big Mouth CAI, rip shifter. 275/30-19,245/35-19, XR50
Sold- 06 BF XR8 Ute, 6 speed,80mm throttle body,Herrod full stainless cats back,K&N air filter,CAI,rip shifter.265/35,245/40-18.
Sold-Mrs Jase_Boss-09 XR8 Sed Breeze-Build to order for her,All options except sat nav,6 speed m, 80mm John Bowe throttle body, K&N air filter, Big Mouth CAI. 19"
Jase_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
rodderz

There is talk of other crimes being portrayed in another series. The Pettingal's, Pierce, Allens, Painters & Dockers union wars, fruit & veg wars.... plenty more material for another 2 or 3 series

I was speaking to someone I know from Purana tonight and asked about the series, they mentioned most of it is pretty close to the mark bar a few minor things with some of the hits, and the way #13 ended was all wrong. Apparently qld and nsw get the last episode next week and the dvd the week after?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

i got my uncut copy today from big-w, its pretty silly to bring it out before the last episode has screened
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
professorsabre
NECO

Yeah you're lucky because It's not meant to be released for sale before the 8th or 9th of May if memory serves me correctly.
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even though the majority of the heavy hitters in the underworld killings are now dead, There is still an underworld war being waged as we speak. Granted it isn't as violent and publicised as it once was but it is still going on. Carl Williams is still a man with power even though he is behind bars. And from what my cousin Mark (A senior sargent with the Victoria Police) has told me, There are many more people waiting in the wings for the chance to be top dog of the Melbourne underworld.
So, With that said I believe that the Underbelly series could continue for atleast another series, Just that it won't be as graphic and dare I say it 'entertaining' as the first series.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:27 PM   #9
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
There is talk of other crimes being portrayed in another series. The Pettingal's, Pierce, Allens, Painters & Dockers union wars, fruit & veg wars.... plenty more material for another 2 or 3 series

I was speaking to someone I know from Purana tonight and asked about the series, they mentioned most of it is pretty close to the mark bar a few minor things with some of the hits, and the way #13 ended was all wrong. Apparently qld and nsw get the last episode next week and the dvd the week after?
Too many people getting shot.
Who was #13?
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #10
rodderz

It wasnt the person who got shot but someone died, who didnt in real life
Old 04-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #11
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcore
Even though the majority of the heavy hitters in the underworld killings are now dead, There is still an underworld war being waged as we speak. Granted it isn't as violent and publicised as it once was but it is still going on. Carl Williams is still a man with power even though he is behind bars. And from what my cousin Mark (A senior sargent with the Victoria Police) has told me, There are many more people waiting in the wings for the chance to be top dog of the Melbourne underworld.
So, With that said I believe that the Underbelly series could continue for atleast another series, Just that it won't be as graphic and dare I say it 'entertaining' as the first series.
There's a lot of crooks out there taking advantage of the big wigs being taken out/killed, there's also the asian triad gangs, and the leftovers of Mokbel's crew still to be sentenced. I think the police have learned a lot however, they have the information and experience in picking who to put surveillance on and stop things pretty quick
Old 05-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I hope they do bring out another series and ive only seen a cpl of eps from the first one. Im getting it on DVD this week
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They need to do another series about the Overcoat War in Pentridge back in the 70's/80's, Chopper Vs Keithy Faure, who ironically is the guy who is testifying against the man accused of killing Lewis Moran, Evangelous Goussis. Don't know why he's testifying against him though, he was the accomplice. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

There's also the Roger Rogerson years in NSW. I'm not sure if it's still there but about a month ago I grabbed a 2 part mini-series on it called Blue Murder on Usenet. Very good watch.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

If they were going to make a second series i think it needs to include Ben Cousins, Michael Gardner and John Kizon. Go WA... pffft. maybe Alan Didak, Gary Ablett, wayne carey?! hehe

no but seriously...stranger things have happened, i mean, they made more than one series of Prison Break...yet they escaped in the first. Underbelly: Footy Players Gone Wild anyone?!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #16
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
There's also the Roger Rogerson years in NSW. I'm not sure if it's still there but about a month ago I grabbed a 2 part mini-series on it called Blue Murder on Usenet. Very good watch.
I think this is the movie that im thinking of, but my old boss is the NSW Sargent who was played by frankie j holden.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
rodderz

Apparently there are waiting lists for buying the Underbelly series DVD in QLD. Good price too, I think $55-60 or so for the 13 part series?

I spose they need to sell it at an attractive price, considering so many people have access to burned copies

Last edited by rodderz; 05-05-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #18
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

From memory there are 9 or 10 Silvester/Rule Underbelly books so far plus Leadbelly.. which , as Rodderz said, go into the Pettingal's, Pierce, Allens etc, so a mountain of stuff for at least a series 11 or 111.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )

Last edited by Charliewool; 06-05-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #19
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

I'd welcome anoter series. On my second book about the whole gangland war and have not missed an episode of this first series. I love this sort of stuff, ie have plenty of mafia books, the whole Soprano's DVD set etc.

So bring it on....
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #20
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
From memory there are 9 or 10 Silvester/Rule Underbelly books so far plus Leadbelly.. which , as Rodderz said, go into the Pettingal's, Pierce, Allens etc, so a mountain of stuff for at least a series 11 or 111.
I have the 11th book, which goes into the Beaumont Children, Christopher Hudson incident in Melbourne with Alan Didak, etc etc...
Old 06-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #21
colossus
Secret Sleuth

You guys need to think outside the square.

The new series is a prequel of the current one - STAR WARS style.

Inside knowledge.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #22
RACINGdork
bf xr6t + 351 xe esp weee

the allens/Pettingal's would be a very interesting story.my old man was a fedral narcotics agent around the time that family was in "power"
RACINGdork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Could go back earlier to the painters and dockers, choppers crew, the munster, Horatio Morris, Nick the Greek, Keithy Faure, Billy "The Texan" Longley etc. You could get a 100 episodes out of those guys. They were the forerunners to the current underworld wars.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #24
rodderz

Some of the participants in the recent underworld war related it some way to these events anyway. Kinniburgh and the Morans were old dock workers and were in families that were associated with the Painters & Dockers, so was Victor Pierce, who had the same birth mother as the Pettingals and Allen's.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #25
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Anybody else have trouble getting a hold of the DVD tonight?

Was at work all day so couldn't get to the shops til late night shopping, everywhere I tried was sold out apart from a certain KMart store which seemed to have a few left. Looking forward to watching it uncut now.

Although, judging from the absolutely ridiculous prices they're already up for on eBay (double retail) I'm thinking maybe I should make a buck ;)
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #26
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard today that a new miniseries has been mooted covering the extent of corruption within
" RailCorp"......
Apparently...they intend to call it....."Undercarriage"......
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Some of the participants in the recent underworld war related it some way to these events anyway. Kinniburgh and the Morans were old dock workers and were in families that were associated with the Painters & Dockers, so was Victor Pierce, who had the same birth mother as the Pettingals and Allen's.
Thats what I was trying to imply. Keithy Faure was basically the leader of the painters and dockers, and he went straight for a decade or 2, but he is now a witness in the trial of Evangouloss Goussis for killing Lewis Moran, and Keithy was supposed to be the second gunman, but he's testifying against the accused to save his own skin.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Hhhhmmm interesting, our family (my mums last name is Pettingill) and we are related to Kath Pettingill
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #29
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicXR6T
I heard today that a new miniseries has been mooted covering the extent of corruption within
" RailCorp"......
Apparently...they intend to call it....."Undercarriage"......
Really? I heard it was called pack of useless bastards.
Falcon_Phill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #30
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
I'd welcome anoter series. On my second book about the whole gangland war and have not missed an episode of this first series. I love this sort of stuff, ie have plenty of mafia books, the whole Soprano's DVD set etc.

So bring it on....
Yeah...My favourite movie is Goodfellas, came out in 1990...Any of the DiNero gangster movies are great, and Pacino.

I bought the Underbelly series on Thursday at JB Hi Fi for $44 I think I paid!

Spent yesterday watching the first 9 episodes. Brilliant viewing and addictive.

I don't think another series would have the same appeal....The beauty this series had is that it was a real life story played out by some quality Australian actors whose role they were playing are now either dead or in jail. The bloke who played Jason Moran was spectacular.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post