Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Peej

Default Fitting brakes to a single jet ski trailer

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted trailer brakes to their single jet ski trailers? and if so, how much it cost to do so?

Peej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I don't have an answer to your question, but just curious as to why you would want to do it?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not exactly what you want, but same idea
http://www.expeditionaustralia.com.a...b717c853-6.php

i dont think they will be water proof, especially not salt water being your biggest issue

a jetski trailer is light enough to lift by one person...... with a ski, your car is easily capable of handling the extra weight without the need for extra braking

otherwise spend the money on buying an innegra hull from me..... they are gonna be light enough to lift over your head, but withstand 80knots+ easy on chop..... even stop a bullet...

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Peej

Well my car can legally only tow 500kg unbraked and the particular ski and trailer with fuel comes in at over 500kg. I asked a salesperson at a jet ski dealer and only got told that it might be possible and would cost a bit, but i got the feeling the salesperson wasnt too sure.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

I spotted this bloke on EvilBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mechanical-Di...item48393266b6

http://www.spinnythings.com.au/

Installing trailer brakes isn't at all difficult for someone with a bit of mechanical nouse, but 500kg is a very small trailer (a 6x4 box is normally rated at 750kg loaded). What are you towing with?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
LTDHO
The one and only

Where are you (your location isn't updated)

If you are in Melbourne I can help ya!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
silicon

It might pay to stick the unit over the scales first just to check the weight.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd upgrade the car first!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

What sort of car are you driving, a Niki? 500kg is bugger all.

Trailers aren't required to have brakes unless the GVM is over 750kg, can you tell us what the car is??

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

You'll need new hubs, brake calipers, pads, a new coupling, you'll have to swage up your caliper cables, and some small bits and pieces like shackles, a couple of pulleys, a turn buckle etc.

It's a easy job, and it will be beneficial if you have issues now with it unbrake.

Cost? How long is a pice of string? You can pay a lot for bronze rotors, stainless steel calipers, ........... or you can buy the basic stuff for cheap.

I tend to agree with others, unless your using your feet to slow it down, brakes on 500kg seems a little bit like overkill. You may have a tiny little Nissan Micra, or Honda Jazz or something, and in that case, you should get a new car asap. hahahah.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
SilentDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I tend to agree with others, unless your using your feet to slow it down, brakes on 500kg seems a little bit like overkill. You may have a tiny little Nissan Micra, or Honda Jazz or something, and in that case, you should get a new car asap. hahahah.
If that is the case then he would be pushing it a it to get the jet ski up the ramp.

There are a few places that have shops on the net. Not sure where you are located but try google or yellowpages online.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
Peej

hey all thanks for the replies. I drive a ford fiesta and only have to drive about 30 minutes to where i want to launch. I've seen similar cars towing ski's, i just wanted to make sure that it was all legal for when i was on the road. Just one more question, would i have to take the trailer to the department of transport for an inspection once the modifications have been made?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Nah, you'd be ok, won't alter rego.

I now see why you want some brakes, Fiesta would struggle with a bike rack attached to it, let alone a trailer.

To be honest, you have the wrong vehicle to tow anything. Don't mean any offence mate. Is it an option to get a bit bigger, heavier, better suited car?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how would a fwd with skinny tyres go trying to pull a trailer + ski out of a wet boat ramp?
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete23
how would a fwd with skinny tyres go trying to pull a trailer + ski out of a wet boat ramp?
My brother has a small jet ski that I have access to whenever he was not using it.. unfortunately the Hilux he owns wasn't included in the deal....

I was toying with the idea of altering the draw bar to have a telescopic system where you can extend the draw bar around a metre just prior to going down the ramp to keep the front tyres as far away from the water and slime as possible.

Peej, have you looked into just changing over your trailer? What will the difference be in cost for you selling your unbraked trailer and buying a braked one?

Using your car to pull the ski is not an issue to be honest, your short wheelbase and FWD while launching and retreiving is where you will become undone.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
Peej

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Nah, you'd be ok, won't alter rego.

I now see why you want some brakes, Fiesta would struggle with a bike rack attached to it, let alone a trailer.

To be honest, you have the wrong vehicle to tow anything. Don't mean any offence mate. Is it an option to get a bit bigger, heavier, better suited car?
Well i have thought about upgrading cars but i really am only going to tow 1-2 days per week if, that so i really cant justify upgrading car's, and at the end of the day ford do specify that it's towing capacities so im just going from there. Could you suggest a smaller sized 4cyl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
My brother has a small jet ski that I have access to whenever he was not using it.. unfortunately the Hilux he owns wasn't included in the deal....

I was toying with the idea of altering the draw bar to have a telescopic system where you can extend the draw bar around a metre just prior to going down the ramp to keep the front tyres as far away from the water and slime as possible.

Peej, have you looked into just changing over your trailer? What will the difference be in cost for you selling your unbraked trailer and buying a braked one?

Using your car to pull the ski is not an issue to be honest, your short wheelbase and FWD while launching and retreiving is where you will become undone.
the ski im after doesn't really require that much water to launch, so the rear tyre's will be lucky if they are any where near the water.

In regards to purchasing a braked trailer, I've emailed quite a few custom trailer places and even oceanic and have had no responses, would you be able to suggest any that might help out?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just because the front wheels won't be near the water line doesn't mean the ramp won't be wet from other users / tide changes
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I have a WS Fiesta and I had trouble up Mount Macedon when I come to a stop sign and I had turned in on a slight hill, I went to accelerate off and my front right wheel just kept spinning, I was spinning for a good 5 seconds.

I don't like the idea of 500Kg on the back and facing up a ramp that could be wet.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
SilentDave

might be an idea to put a small wheel on the front and you a quality strap and tie it between the car and trailer when retrieving the ski we used to do that with our race boat trailers and never had a drama, some people even had extension bars that did the same thing.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDave
might be an idea to put a small wheel on the front and you a quality strap and tie it between the car and trailer when retrieving the ski we used to do that with our race boat trailers and never had a drama, some people even had extension bars that did the same thing.
The strap idea is good. A good quality pneumatic jockey wheel that twists out of the way would be all you need in the front.

I have researched a few sites, none have single braked trailers.

How over the 500kg are you? Even a mid / large sized ski comes in at around 350kg.. doubt a single ski trailer will tip the 120kg mark?

If it wasn't that much over I wouldn't bother with brakes to be honest. Just drive to the conditions, and don't cart the ski around long distance with a car full of mates and a boot full of gear.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #21
Peej

Quote:
The strap idea is good. A good quality pneumatic jockey wheel that twists out of the way would be all you need in the front.

I have researched a few sites, none have single braked trailers.

How over the 500kg are you? Even a mid / large sized ski comes in at around 350kg.. doubt a single ski trailer will tip the 120kg mark?

If it wasn't that much over I wouldn't bother with brakes to be honest. Just drive to the conditions, and don't cart the ski around long distance with a car full of mates and a boot full of gear.

well the ski comes in at 340ish 140 for the trailer + 60L of fuel, so its just over 500kg and the car is only rated to 500kg unbraked.

As for the ramp and launching issues i know of people that used to launch with a ford laser, with no problems and have seen corolla's and hyundai accents towing ski's so i assume they would have to have launched. I think it basically comes down to common sense when on the ramp, like anything. The argument of FWD vs RWD could go on forever, obviously a 4wd would be optimal but just isnt justified for myself circumstances and usage.

Though i would like to get away with the fiesta, i have been thinking, would a ford focus (im pretty sure they are around 200kg heavier) be a better choice?

Last edited by Peej; 06-02-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej
well the ski comes in at 340ish 140 for the trailer + 60L of fuel, so its just over 500kg and the car is only rated to 500kg unbraked.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Though i would like to get away with the fiesta, i have been thinking, would a ford focus (im pretty sure they are around 200kg heavier) be a better choice?
That rating will have a degree of 'fudge factor' in it. If it is rated at 500kg and your rig comes in at 530ish kg (petrol weighs less than water) you will be fine.

The Festiva also has a rating of 500kg, but compared to the Festiva the Fiesta has around 130kg more weight , around 20kw more power, 30nm more torque, much better brakes and a much better / stronger body.

Yet the same towing rating? Which leads to the conclusion that these ratings are more based on the class of the car (like rego classes), not the specifications and capabilities of the individual vehicle.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #23
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
That rating will have a degree of 'fudge factor' in it. If it is rated at 500kg and your rig comes in at 530ish kg (petrol weighs less than water) you will be fine.
Until you have an accident and the cops/assessor realise that you have been towing above the rated towing limit of the car, then you can kiss your insurance goodbye.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #24
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

surly overider brakes would be easy enough to fit and I would be suprised if in this day and age the trailer supplier couldnt do this as an option the amount of this size car I have seen with Jet ski's behind them is countless weahter or not they had brakes I dont know, but as said above its not worth the risk if you have an accedent the cost of brakes will be cheap by comparison

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #25
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, good on you for wanting to keep it all legal. Most people couldn't give a crap, and then wonder why it all goes wrong. Hopefully they only damage their own property and no one elses or injure someone when it all goes wrong.

I just got a new big boat and didn't believe the numbers on the rego papers. It came in at just over 1600kg set up for cruising (3/4 water and fuel in tanks, all camping gear etc). I only had a 1600kg bar on my car. That is the upper limit, and to me not enough. Add in my dinghy with outboard and fuel + food and drink for a week on the lakes and I was outta there. I am getting the 2300kg bar put on next week. The old cable brakes are being tossed in favour of electic control hydaulics. Got some reasonably cheap Hayman Reese sway bars too. My ride hight was already fine though so didn't need load adjusters.

If I didn't put it on a weighbridge, I would never have known. Google your local weighbridge. A ticket usually costs about $30 or so. Leave the guessing for lotto numbers. I doubt the rego certificate would have afforded me much legal protection either had the RTA weighed the rig after an accident. They can just say that I added in more stuff like the fridges, solar panels, battery banks etc. Might be harder to argue that on a ski though. They do this even if you are NOT at fault if they suspect the rig is near some limit - ie unbraked limit, load limit, towbar/hitch limit or GCM limits. I was on a trailer sailer forum a few months ago and saw the result of it all going bad. Not pretty and what made me get mine sorted as soon as I took delivery.

Simple cable brake set up then. How mechanically minded are you?

They are pretty simple. I had them put on a trailer that already had disc hubs (so they did the rest) for about $500. Disc hubs would have been around another $100 or so. Parts cheaper so you could do it yourself in a decent Saturday arvo session.

It can be pretty expensive, but as Yeti says the alternative is much worse. My new set up is well into four figures - approaching a a fair chunk of what I paid for the entire tow car!