Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #1
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Ford Ranger PXII & PXII Electric Steering

{MODS - if possible, please leave this in The Pub, I think it is beneficial for all to see}

My Sept 2016 Ford Ranger PXII has electric power steering (apparently PXI and early PXII's have hydraulic power steering), it needs a new (electric) steering rack as a result of a whoopise. A panel beater is dealing with it, he also has another PX Ranger in his workshop also needing a (electric) steering rack.

The panel beater has ordered 2 from the local Ford dealer and has been told 'they are on back-order'. So I tried for them another source, so I contacted a mate who owns a suspension store. He is able to access after-market hydraulic power steering racks, but not electric as Ford won't provide details. According to the after-market provider Ford are not manufacturing them anymore as required under law, they are required (by law) to supply parts for 10 years after manufacture of a model ceases. I am not sure when the last of the PXIII's rolled off the assembly line in Thailand, but it is not more than 10 years ago

Ford are breaking the law, I have been advised to contact the ACCC and the Ombudsman to lodge an official complaint, apparently there are hundreds of PXII's and PXIII's across Australia waiting on electric steering racks and apparently Ford don't give a shyte, all requests are being met with 'they are on back-order'.

So if you are one waiting for a steering rack or if you know someone who is waiting for a steering rack, lodge a complaint.

As a long time Ford purchaser and supporter this is very disappointing to hear.

I will post up the contact details of where to lodge a complaint

EDIT:
ACCC - https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/c...consumer-issue

Last edited by Trevor 57; 21-02-2023 at 04:08 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 04:00 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Ford Ranger PXII & PXII Electric Steering

I don't think that's actually law about the 10 year supply, it happened with BA/BF front seatbelt assemblies nearly 10 years ago - the supplier closed down and everything just sat on back order for eternity with no updates or information.

I'm still waiting for Jefferson Ford to supply me front passenger side seatbelt on a BF ute I've had on backorder since 2015

From 2015-2017 I'd chase it up and it would still be on backorder and the ETA just kept moving out with no explanation.

It could be a case of NLA from supplier who supplies Ford. It won't be Ford who is the manufacturer it will be part of their supply chain who may not manufacture it anymore.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #3
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The maker of steering racks (in Melbourne) has said it is law, so not 100% sure

He can make them, he currently makes hydraulic steering racks but is being restricted by Ford (and Insurance Companies) from doing so
Old 21-02-2023, 04:19 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
The maker of steering racks (in Melbourne) has said it is law, so not 100% sure

He can make them, he currently makes hydraulic steering racks but is being restricted by Ford (and Insurance Companies) from doing so
I've heard 7/10 years brandied about but I've never actually seen anything in writing that states it, consumer law says 'reasonable amount of time'

Quote:
Under the Australian Consumer Law, certain consumer guarantees apply automatically, including that manufacturers will make repair facilities and spare parts available for a reasonable amount of time.
https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/prod...ot-be-repaired

Whats 'reasonable'? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? When Ford Australia pulled up stumps manufacturing in Australia suddenly a lot of parts went NLA very quickly for the FG/FGX, well before the '7/10 years' everyone throws around occurred.

The law is so open and automotive supply chains are so diverse you could sail the Costa Concordia through it.

No doubt this is a good test, keep us updated on the outcome.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 04:34 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I've heard 7/10 years brandied about but I've never actually seen anything in writing that states it, consumer law says 'reasonable amount of time'

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/prod...ot-be-repaired

Whats 'reasonable'? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? When Ford Australia pulled up stumps manufacturing in Australia suddenly a lot of parts went NLA very quickly for the FG/FGX, well before the '7/10 years' everyone throws around occurred.

The law is so open and automotive supply chains are so diverse you could sail the Costa Concordia through it.

No doubt this is a good test, keep us updated on the outcome.

It's exactly as you say. It's not a law, but an undertaking you could drive a truck through.

And if they are on back-order, doesn't that imply that they are still making them?

So what's the issue here? Supply chain is rooted, everyone knows this.

Buy a second hander if you need to be on the road asap and can't wait.
Old 21-02-2023, 04:55 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's exactly as you say. It's not a law, but an undertaking you could drive a truck through.

And if they are on back-order, doesn't that imply that they are still making them?

So what's the issue here? Supply chain is rooted, everyone knows this.

I think whats happening is the suppler tells Ford that they're not making them anymore and then it takes a while for the information to get down to the spare parts level so all the back orders keep coming in until the official NLA comes in. Or Ford could be searching for an alternative supplier/option and still keeping it open.

Or it could just be supply chain issues, but its more on the fishy scale to me.

I can still buy genuine GM oil/air/fuel filters for my Caprice and its 26 years old, plus a bunch of other genuine parts for it so I guess the 'reasonable time' depends on internal policy.
Old 21-02-2023, 05:00 PM   #7
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
not so simple Petal, insurance companies won't allow 2nd steering hand bits, and good luck finding them
Old 21-02-2023, 05:04 PM   #8
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I think whats happening is the suppler tells Ford that they're not making them anymore and then it takes a while for the information to get down to the spare parts level so all the back orders keep coming in until the official NLA comes in. Or Ford could be searching for an alternative supplier/option and still keeping it open.

Or it could just be supply chain issues, but its more on the fishy scale to me.

I can still buy genuine GM oil/air/fuel filters for my Caprice and its 26 years old, plus a bunch of other genuine parts for it so I guess the 'reasonable time' depends on internal policy.
we are not talking about an old models here, when did they stop making PXIII's?
Old 21-02-2023, 05:05 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Was the housing cracked, or just a rod end sheared off?
Old 21-02-2023, 05:17 PM   #10
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

neither, it is just making a clacking noise where dried steered, which it didn't do prior to the (minor) whoopsie
Old 21-02-2023, 05:19 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
we are not talking about an old models here, when did they stop making PXIII's?
When they released the current model

My argument would be that they were made for the PXII coming up on a decade ago now, it was used in the PXIII, they ordered extras for production + spare parts and now supply has dried up they're obsolete and no longer available, or Ford could turn around and show open purchase orders on the supplier and wash their hands of it.

Try order certain parts for an FGX Falcon (2016) and see how you go, that falls within this mythical 7/10 years everyone quotes too.
Old 21-02-2023, 05:54 PM   #12
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am told GM is doing the same with the last of the Holdens too
Old 21-02-2023, 05:57 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I am told GM is doing the same with the last of the Holdens too
They approached me to manufacture some components for their spare parts requirements in Australia recently and as soon as I didn't let them bully me on price and I told them to **** off they packed up shop and made them NLA.

All the OEMs are flogs when it comes to their supply chain, the only one I've had a positive experience with is HSV and even then it was very demanding.

OEMs will make very poor calls then flex on their supply chain with a massive song and dance to fix it, with the suppliers running around with the fire extinguishers while the OEM is sitting around the dining table with the house on fire.

I've talked about some of the truck manufacturers before, one of them I'd get 10+ calls every day, to the point everyone was calling her my wife - 'Hey Franco your wife is on the phone again' this **** went on for 12 months. I couldn't divorce her either

It wouldn't surprise me if something has happened with the steering rack manufacturer and Ford, they could be working on a lag indicator, like lost sales and then suddenly demand massively ramps up for PXII/PXIII steering racks and the supplier can't chase the huge increase in demand. Think supermarkets and toilet paper during lockdowns, thats a classic case of product decisions made on lag indicators causing supply chain issues.

Or poor fill rate from the supplier to Ford, they could be a ****ty supplier that quotes a lead time of X days then they can't fulfill Ford's orders in full and on time (DIFOT).

Usually there's penalties involved in those games, or maybe the supplier discontinued the product - that can be a way to force an OEM to move to something you want to sell them as an alternative. Then it has to go through all the engineering approvals (RIP)

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-02-2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old 21-02-2023, 06:03 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Since its your insurance companies problem tell them them to write it off and go buy a new Ranger
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 07:36 PM   #15
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not going to happen, not enough damage.
Old 21-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deer ford

you should supply my **** box with spare parts 4 eva

cheers

trevva57
Old 21-02-2023, 07:59 PM   #17
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I gots me OEM Ecotec CAS

It's mine

My own

My precious
Old 21-02-2023, 08:08 PM   #18
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I gots me OEM Ecotec CAS

It's mine

My own

My precious
my heart

my beautiful

my me it

oem
Old 22-02-2023, 06:36 AM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Smile Re: Ford Ranger PXII & PXII Electric Steering

Surely the insurer can be prevailed upon to approach this with some logic. They can’t (or at least shouldn’t) let you sit with an unknown timeframe. Did the panel beaters jump the gun in good faith, thinking a rack would arrive around the time of completion?

I know insurance and logic are not always bedfellows, have seen twice home insurance claims (roof damage) stuffed around for periods over 12 months while the structure significantly deteriorates.

What about a workaround via the roaming assessor if they’re malleable. Alter the claim to remove the rack (“added in error”) and approve some hidden extra work to the same net value as buying/encoding a used rack?
Old 22-02-2023, 07:03 AM   #20
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We waited 6 months for a windscreen for a brand new Subaru Forester.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 22-02-2023, 07:05 AM   #21
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for any owner of a 6 year old product which has been selling in the no 2 spot for the past 2 ish or so years to have a supply of parts still available either in the genuine space or aftermarket space..
It’s not like it’s a discontinued model or a bloody LDV
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 22-02-2023, 07:07 AM   #22
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
The joys of waiting for parts to be imported huh? Did they tell you when ordered it could take that long or was it a we don’t know thing?
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 22-02-2023, 08:56 AM   #23
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
The joys of waiting for parts to be imported huh? Did they tell you when ordered it could take that long or was it a we don’t know thing?
Pretty much didn't know, rung them every couple of weeks

We had the same thing with the new shape Carnival, but was only a few months.

Old 22-02-2023, 09:24 AM   #24
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
In that time, was the vehicle in your physical possession? I understand Trevor’s repairer would be unlikely to release the car to him in this condition.

Something PJ could comment on, is whether insurers ever authorise a progress claim by a repairer when there’s a significant delay of unknown duration.
Old 22-02-2023, 09:28 AM   #25
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not so simple Petal, insurance companies won't allow 2nd steering hand bits, and good luck finding them
At the end of the day Trevor it is your car.If you fit a secondhand unit and get back on the road tomorrow or wait til next year to get a backordered newie,that is your decision
Old 22-02-2023, 11:07 AM   #26
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
In that time, was the vehicle in your physical possession? I understand Trevor’s repairer would be unlikely to release the car to him in this condition.

Something PJ could comment on, is whether insurers ever authorise a progress claim by a repairer when there’s a significant delay of unknown duration.
Car wasn't drivable/roadworthy.

Old 22-02-2023, 11:37 AM   #27
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

as I said the damage is not that serious, I have the car at home and am driving it locally. The steering rack is making a clicking noise, no other obvious damage to the steering, the chassis was bent on the front left up by 10mm on Fraser Island last year, no other damage. The insurer wants the chassis pulled back into line, it was me pushing for the steering rack to be replaced at the same time, it wasn't making a noise before. I have been driving it, including back to Victoria from Fraser Island since September last year.

There has been a heap of suspension work done to the front before they realised the chassis was very slightly bent (in fact panel beater said it could have come out of the factory like that). Normally they put about 0.5mm toe out on the front wheels and they couldn't achieve that, that is when they clicked there must be something else going, apart from the clicking coming from the steering rack

A mate who owns a leading suspension store is convinced it is not the mechanicals damaged, just a problem with the electrics
Old 22-02-2023, 11:40 AM   #28
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
At the end of the day Trevor it is your car.If you fit a secondhand unit and get back on the road tomorrow or wait til next year to get a backordered newie,that is your decision
I am working with the panel beater on getting the car ok to drive while they wait for the steering rack, he doesn't really want to 'double handle' and I get that, but a drivable car sitting for months is not going to happen

He did say this morning that Ford have advised them that there is one coming Friday for another Ranger they have sitting there waiting for a rack - but he said it is a wait and see game, he is not convinced it will show up
Old 22-02-2023, 11:47 AM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Not going to happen, not enough damage.

If you cant fix it then yes its a write off.

refer to consumer law, put the pressure back on the insurer.
Old 22-02-2023, 12:27 PM   #30
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The way your initial post read, was as if the car had entered your panel beaters on a booking for approved repairs, more issues were discovered and the job could/would not be released until all items were resolved. That I could understand from the point of panel beater's liability and insurance company paying him for the work.
Quote:
as I said the damage is not that serious, I have the car at home and am driving it locally. The steering rack is making a clicking noise, no other obvious damage to the steering, the chassis was bent on the front left up by 10mm on Fraser Island last year, no other damage. The insurer wants the chassis pulled back into line, it was me pushing for the steering rack to be replaced at the same time, it wasn't making a noise before. I have been driving it, including back to Victoria from Fraser Island since September last year.
Closed Thread