Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Default Monopoly of Adelaides fuel Mobil and now BP

Is there something wrong with this?

Personally I avoid these got the runs in SA as they couldn't guarantee what fuel they were selling. Oh and that maybe some customers only want to buy fuel and not feel like they are waiting in a supermarket checkout. The BP owned stations is all I used.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busine...-1226642429024

GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Default Re: Monopoly of Adelaides fuel Mobil and now BP

When couldnt they guarantee what fuel they were using?
They have always sold BP fuel as it was BP/On The Run and Mobil fuels through Mobil/On The Runs.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

Yeh this will be totaly good for competion and price wars not
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

On a couple of occasions when I asked if they could provide me in writing that they were selling me BP 98 premium in writing as too often when the tankers roll in to fill up the tanks they are independent suppliers. Their words "we sometimes have to blend fuels" due to supply. My response GOODBYE. I live right near one see it regularly even asked the driver of the tanker. The final straw was waiting 5 minutes while the operator sorted out a customers x lotto tickets. Sign of the times maybe? Maybe I am just cynical in my old age. I have raised the issue of misrepresentation of product with consumer affairs. Waiting for a response. Interesting to see the ACCC's view on this as well. We are becoming a society of compromises based on cost. I still believe in getting what you pay for and not being taken for a sucker. End of rant.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD View Post
On a couple of occasions when I asked if they could provide me in writing that they were selling me BP 98 premium in writing as too often when the tankers roll in to fill up the tanks they are independent suppliers. Their words "we sometimes have to blend fuels" due to supply. My response GOODBYE. I live right near one see it regularly even asked the driver of the tanker. The final straw was waiting 5 minutes while the operator sorted out a customers x lotto tickets. Sign of the times maybe? Maybe I am just cynical in my old age. I have raised the issue of misrepresentation of product with consumer affairs. Waiting for a response. Interesting to see the ACCC's view on this as well. We are becoming a society of compromises based on cost. I still believe in getting what you pay for and not being taken for a sucker. End of rant.
Try & get it in writing from any brand service station, You wont get it.
All servo's are the same and just look at how many distributors there are & who they supply.
You are kidding your self.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

We were only talking about that last night. Pretty soon we'll only be able to shop at On the Run servos by the way they are taking over the market here. I think it's close to 100 outlets now.

I do shop there a lot, very convenient and it saves me a separate trip to the supermarket on the way home from work. Also, sitting down to Subway or Wok in a Box lunch with the paper nearly anywhere in town is a bonus along with cheap drinks and biggies, it's no wonder they are doing so well. And the Brumbys bakery stuff is great!

Two weeks ago I saw the young business owner roll up to a function in a brand new McLaren sports car....someone is making some serious money. He couldn't park it very well, took a few goes, but it could have been showing off in front of the guests...

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Admit they are like sitting in a supermarket que, but better than being harassed for choccies with the other two.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
XR6_Papa
Daily Lurker

Gave up for BP / on the run awhile ago,
takes too long to wait for the coffee orders to be filled before you can pay for your fuel.. java bar of petrol station?

United 100 for me
XR6_Papa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_Papa View Post
Gave up for BP / on the run awhile ago,
takes too long to wait for the coffee orders to be filled before you can pay for your fuel.. java bar of petrol station?

United 100 for me
Correct.....

For united 100 does the car need to be ethanol compatible? Eg E10 etc?
Old 16-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Ghia Mike View Post
We were only talking about that last night. Pretty soon we'll only be able to shop at On the Run servos by the way they are taking over the market here. I think it's close to 100 outlets now.

I do shop there a lot, very convenient and it saves me a separate trip to the supermarket on the way home from work. Also, sitting down to Subway or Wok in a Box lunch with the paper nearly anywhere in town is a bonus along with cheap drinks and biggies, it's no wonder they are doing so well. And the Brumbys bakery stuff is great!

Two weeks ago I saw the young business owner roll up to a function in a brand new McLaren sports car....someone is making some serious money. He couldn't park it very well, took a few goes, but it could have been showing off in front of the guests...

Mike
you must have a good job to be able to afford there prices
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm lazy.. I welcome our convenient store petrol overlords....

extra pickles on that burger please..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Agile

Filled up at a BP with Premium. Drove about 20 km up Main Nth Rd/ Port Wakefield Rd and the car started pinging when giving it the boot. Went back to the servo a couple of days later and asked about it and was told the driver ''could have dropped a load of ULP into the PULP tank". It happens.
Like the driver who dropped a load of diesel in the wrong hole. He wasn't popular apparently. Sort of buggered up a few days for a few people
Unfortunately the corner store/ servo is what we have to look forward to. Maximize profit from investment. The staff in these places seem to work their asses off.
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
you must have a good job to be able to afford there prices
Not particularly, average wages, still driving a 94 EF....but I love it.

Generally the things like milk, bread, soft drinks are well priced. Saves time, money and extra fuel, plus trying to find a park and waiting in a queue at the supermarket is something I avoid after a day at work. Car wash there too! But I certainly wouldn't do the entire weekly shopping there.

Never had issues with 98 fuel quality at the St. Mary's site. I have had the occasional engine ping when using 95, but Id expect the low volume sales of that mid range fuel might see it going off in the tanks?

But I have wondered about the legality of dominating a market so much. Shell seem to have given up here, I wonder why?

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD View Post
For united 100 does the car need to be ethanol compatible? Eg E10 etc?
It is E10 fuel, so generally yes.
Saying that there is a government list on the net somewhere with cars that can use E10.
I run E10 in my EB, ED and EL.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post