Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default 27mhz AM CB radio's

Hi all! Not sure where to put this thread so ill chuck it here..mods can move if need be.

Is anybody still into the 27mhz AM CB radios? I have been given a beautiful President CB radio (an oldie but a goodie) and have hooked it up at a mate's house who has a tall boat antenna on his house roof. All channels on all bands (am/usb/lsb? are dead quiet, except once yesterday when i caught some people on a boat somewhere far far away who wern't speaking english. The signal didnt even read on the meter they were that far away.

I can see the merits of 27mhz AM and the downfalls too. It would be great for car to car use and has longer range and very long range in the right conditions.
Nontheless, this radio will be making its way into one of my cars soon..was going to put it into the Fairlane as it would suit its vintage very well (and the radio does look fantastic and would be used) but it may be more useful in my Subaru as its my daily/bush/travel car.

I hear they need an antenna tuned to them and all.. i was going to buy a stainless steel whip, about 3ft tall to bolt to the roof rack but i hear a ground plane base is the way to go? Also hear that i would have to run a ground cable if a ground independant antenna is used. Not entirley clear on what the go is! Not sure what antenna setup would work well.
If anyone has any reccommendations or wise words, it would be appreciated!

Ive always liked to play with radio's. I used to live in Sydney and listen in on whatever was happening on the UHF's around Botany Bay, at times there would be some entertaining conversations. I will be moving back in due time..i assume there must be people over east who still run AM!

Oh and are marine 27mhz radio's the same thing as the original 27mhz AM CB radios?

Cheers!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Re: 27mhz AM CB radio's

They were big before a thing called the mobile phone and internet came along.
"Any Y L's on channel"..............
Old 29-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #3
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AM CB is pretty much dead nowadays...Everyone uses UHF now. I still have an old Uniden AM CB in a box in the shed along with numerous aerials and mounting brackets although it hasn't seen the light of day in over 7 years.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

There is people still using 27mhz but not many like years ago, the equipment is getting harder to come by, Sideband is more popular than AM.
If you need help setting up Jaycar electronics should be able to help you out in the antenna & cable department.
You could google to see if you have any cb clubs over your way that could help more on info.
I have AM/SSB rig in my garage which occasionally I fire up at times, do get a lot on sideband & the odd chatter on AM.

UHF is the go these days.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Like all things analogue, digital took over so dont like your chances of getting someone to talk to. You would not know where that caller was from as we used to get a lot of 'skip'. Those Presidents were the bees knees when hooked up to a decent aerial that has been SWRed. Best mobile position was in the centre of the boot on a bracket so it would act as a ground plane. Enjoy the journey..
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2015, 10:50 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Memories...
BIL used to run a Uniden 40 channel with extras and 9' aluminium whip off his tow bar on his ZG, home base was a Yaesu? with this fancy aerial (7 element beam) you could turn by remote control, had a map of the Australia with pins to mark where we picked up skip from.

Breaker, any YL's wanna f..., s... and run a muck in the back of my.....

Eyeballs...

Used to get a group together and spread out over Adelaide and had to find one of us using signal strength.

Oh those were the days.

Last edited by BENT_8; 29-06-2015 at 10:57 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of owner drivers still have them, dunno if they ever use them unless in a group, handy in a group for having a chat cos nobody will be on them much these days and you get ta **** chewed out if you say more than a sentence on 40
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #8
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Memories...
BIL used to run a Uniden 40 channel with extras and 9' aluminium whip off his tow bar on his ZG, home base was a Yaesu? with this fancy aerial (7 element beam) you could turn by remote control, had a map of the Australia with pins to mark where we picked up skip from.

Breaker, any YL's wanna f..., s... and run a muck in the back of my.....

Eyeballs...

Used to get a group together and spread out over Adelaide and had to find one of us using signal strength.

Oh those were the days.
I recall like it was yesterday! That driving around looking for someone via signal strength was called a "fox hunt". just to trigger your memory. We probably spoke or argued a few times as I (and brother) were well know in Adelaide to cause major splatter, hijacking etc. of the airwaves.

They were the good old days!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #9
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Cheers for the replies people.

Cool! Yes, ive heard about the fox hunt too..sounds fun..

I do run UHF but unless one lives across a bay or on the top of a hill, one will only get joe blo down the road and thats all unless one has a decent home base station. Already have a 3ft Uniden on my Subie's roof and i dont get SFA except for the odd useless crap when i make it to Perth on the odd weekend.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 30-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Oh and are marine 27mhz radio's the same thing as the original 27mhz AM CB radios?

Cheers!
From memory one of the great things about the President was that it never used crystals to tune frequencies in. I think it was the first to use electronics for this. The benefit was that a handy man or a tech could tune various channels into the set. It also allowed the (sideband especially) to go a little off frequency so you had you own private channels.

So, if you google the marine channels and then if yours dont match up you could retune some of the channels you dont use to the marine ones. Have a chat to a comms shop or amateur and they can help you better than me.
Old 30-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #11
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Thats a very good thing, otherwise i'd be pretty stuck with crystal tuning.
These days most channels are private haha, but nah thats cool to know.

Haven't thought of that. I shall do that cheers!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 30-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

If anybody has a President 2740s CB kicking around that they no longer wish to own, please let me know!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 30-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
I recall like it was yesterday! That driving around looking for someone via signal strength was called a "fox hunt". just to trigger your memory. We probably spoke or argued a few times as I (and brother) were well know in Adelaide to cause major splatter, hijacking etc. of the airwaves.

They were the good old days!
Thats it, buggered if i could remember its name.

Dropping carriers used to get them going, i remember being told about this old bag who dropped a carrier on a bloke who had been in an accident and died because he couldnt get his message through for help.
Dont know how true it was, only a youngen in them days.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #14
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Wow....Turning back the years now.
I was on the CB back in the day.
I even had a linear Amp...Geez that used to **** off people no end
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #15
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Yep. That would do it��
Old 04-07-2015, 06:05 AM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Hi all! Not sure where to put this thread so ill chuck it here..mods can move if need be.

Is anybody still into the 27mhz AM CB radios? I have been given a beautiful President CB radio (an oldie but a goodie) and have hooked it up at a mate's house who has a tall boat antenna on his house roof. All channels on all bands (am/usb/lsb? are dead quiet, except once yesterday when i caught some people on a boat somewhere far far away who wern't speaking english. The signal didnt even read on the meter they were that far away.

I can see the merits of 27mhz AM and the downfalls too. It would be great for car to car use and has longer range and very long range in the right conditions.
Nontheless, this radio will be making its way into one of my cars soon..was going to put it into the Fairlane as it would suit its vintage very well (and the radio does look fantastic and would be used) but it may be more useful in my Subaru as its my daily/bush/travel car.

I hear they need an antenna tuned to them and all.. i was going to buy a stainless steel whip, about 3ft tall to bolt to the roof rack but i hear a ground plane base is the way to go? Also hear that i would have to run a ground cable if a ground independant antenna is used. Not entirley clear on what the go is! Not sure what antenna setup would work well.
If anyone has any reccommendations or wise words, it would be appreciated!

Ive always liked to play with radio's. I used to live in Sydney and listen in on whatever was happening on the UHF's around Botany Bay, at times there would be some entertaining conversations. I will be moving back in due time..i assume there must be people over east who still run AM!

Cheers!
actually the old AM CB is getting a rebirth, as its Facebook page suggests .

and yes you have to tune the antenna to the radio an SWR meter will do the job if you can still buy them..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
Wow....Turning back the years now.
I was on the CB back in the day.
I even had a linear Amp...Geez that used to **** off people no end
'Boots' ? I don't know what you're talking about !

That and a power mike from a light aircraft used to get a pretty good range
Old 06-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #18
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
actually the old AM CB is getting a rebirth, as its Facebook page suggests .

and yes you have to tune the antenna to the radio an SWR meter will do the job if you can still buy them..

I have read about the web and some sites say the same. Im going to be fitting a 27mhz AM SSB radio to my vehicles, some mates of mine said they will too as we have use for it (not because the internet says so).
I have the right antenna on its way and access to a SWR meter...so it'll work mint

UHF simply does not have the range. Apparently theres a local repeater (in town), and another one two towns up, but still the airwaves remain quiet (except the odd passer by on weekends). Even with the addition of a 5ft antenna.

Can always use both anyway...27mhz for car to car + long distance and UHF ch40 for highway use.
Only yesterday on UHF ch40 i received a warning for an undercover cop rolling down the highway in none other than a Prado (first UC ive ever seen in such a vehicle).. it does have its occasional merits!

Ill just see how it goes anyway.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 06-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I have read about the web and some sites say the same. Im going to be fitting a 27mhz AM SSB radio to my vehicles, some mates of mine said they will too as we have use for it (not because the internet says so).
I have the right antenna on its way and access to a SWR meter...so it'll work mint

UHF simply does not have the range. Apparently theres a local repeater (in town), and another one two towns up, but still the airwaves remain quiet (except the odd passer by on weekends). Even with the addition of a 5ft antenna.

Can always use both anyway...27mhz for car to car + long distance and UHF ch40 for highway use.
Only yesterday on UHF ch40 i received a warning for an undercover cop rolling down the highway in none other than a Prado (first UC ive ever seen in such a vehicle).. it does have its occasional merits!

Ill just see how it goes anyway.
UHF will always kill 27meg for range, so long as there's nothing interupting the signal, like hills

On the flats UHF can be heard from Truck to Truck for up to 30kms.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #20
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Thats true, ive gone coast to coast 8 times now, there's a few decent straights out there where UHF range stretches out! But anywhere else that isn't a hilltop, it doesn't :(

How much does a UHF antenna length matter? I know it helps with 27mhz...

Subaru Outback '02
Old 06-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #21
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
UHF will always kill 27meg for range, so long as there's nothing interupting the signal, like hills

On the flats UHF can be heard from Truck to Truck for up to 30kms.
Beg to differ on that comment.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Beg to differ on that comment.
Go for a drive to to anywhere that's flat (Outback Qld, Nthn NSW or across the Hay plains.)

I've spent a lot of time driving in these areas and UHF kills 27meg. this is why most Farmers and Bushfire stations use UHF.

27meg on sideband will get some distance, but only if conditions are right.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #23
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

After lots of reasearch this past month, i bought a 5ft antenna, grounded my antenna mount well and checked the system with an inline SWR meter so its running mint.
On the weekend ive been able to pickup blokes near Sydney and some guy in south east asia. Clearly too. UHF does not even compare!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 06-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #24
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Yep, that is called skip and is not reliable as it all depends on the atmospheric (doncha like big words?) conditions.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #25
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Haha yeah. The NSW transmission came n went but was mostly there. Southeast Asia was clear as day as if the guy was just down the road. Very cool. I like skip haha.

Subaru Outback '02
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #26
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Thats what makes it so interesting. You are not chatting with someone down the road, they can be on the other side of the globe.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #27
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Yeah!! I was clicking through channels, arrived on LSB35 and i hear some people on there and thought i may be picking up people towards Perth way but infact it was a transmission 4000kms away. Amazing. It wasnt the clearest signal and it came and stayed then went away every odd minute, but it was more than understandable.

I was told if i parked over water or grounded the antenna/car to water it increases ground plane and that makes for better signal receive (something along those lines). Went up to the next town and drove onto the beach near the waters edge and i had picked up somebody from southeast asia loud and clear as on LSB35. Somebody else was on LSB04 too and LSB19 i think too. So there may be some truth to it! The NSW signal was picked up in a carpark 20m from the ocean.

Subaru Outback '02
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2015, 08:33 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Yep, that is called skip and is not reliable as it all depends on the atmospheric (doncha like big words?) conditions.
Sounds like you used to listen to the Chinese(?) fishing boats as well
Old 18-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #29
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

I had an old pierce simpson super cheater, as a kid used to find it amazing in the middle of summer mid afternoon when "skip" would come you could talk to peope in wa and qld ( im in victoria ). .
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #30
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

My eldest brother went through the AM/SSB.....etc path in the 70's 80's and i followed him. AM didn't last long, wayyy too many tosspots and it just got worse and worse until it was worse than a kindergarten. (UHF these days is spoiled by this in metro areas still today). But SSB was great, sitting in dark shacks listening for that contact you grab, amazing how it closed the world up in times when it was so empty. By dear bro went the hog and got his amateur call and i followed with my novice at 15. Oddly though, got it around the wrong time when my interest started to wane so sitting in front of the big Kenwood and cranking the beam a few degrees or practicing your dots and dashes just didn't seem so much fun anymore, it's a pretty solitary thing

Still, can't let go of the UHF these days great outside metro areas especially when travelling, and closes up that space between you and people when it's all you got

Was interesting surfing EBay last night seeing a NOS old Hy-Gain AM...amazing stuff and memory twitchers

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post