Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default low rpm rattle ????

my au i6 has had a low rpm engine rattle for quite some time now.
it only dose it between 1800/1000 rpm as the revs drop ,if i flutter the revs around 1500rpm i can get it to do it consistantly.
it dosen't do it @ idle or any other rpm range.
it dose it weather the motors hot or cold.
it sounds simalar to bearings rattling but not quite the same more of a slapping/ rattle kind of sound .but it is very noticable ,you can hear it inside the car.
i don't think its the HLA's ,because i have had a dud lifters before and it dosn't sound the same.i thought it may be the timing chain but after checking the the tensioner its not that.
if it has a worn bearing wouldn't it rattle right through the rpm range?
it was suggested to me that the input shaft bearing might be worn also????
or even maybe a dud spigot bearing???
or even a cracked piston???
the car has been having a high speed vibration also ,that goes away once i put my foot on the clutch.maybe that has somethings to do with it.
any help appreciated.

Old 27-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Jokular

When you say
Quote:
it only dose it between 1800/1000 rpm as the revs drop ,if i flutter the revs around 1500rpm i can get it to do it consistantly.
Is that when you are revving it at a stop or whilst moving?
If at a stop is it in neutral or is the clutch in?
Old 28-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it dose it while moving or stopped,and with the clutch in or out it still makes the noise.
Old 28-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It's just the AU rattles. Here's some good discussion about it.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=rattles

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This issue (I6 engine rattle) was mentioned in this thread posted earlier in the year, it may be similar to what you describe?
It's located HERE
Old 28-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuwp
Yep, mine does it too, at around 1500 - 2500 rpm and coasting or decelerating, and going past buildings or trees you can hear it echo back. At the latest service the tossers put in some high tech lightweight oil (5w - something)...cost a bloody fortune and made the 'clacking' noise worse. The "head" mechanic said that it was a known problem with the gudgon pins in the back 1 - 2 pistons that flop around a bit when not under any load, and reckons my headers would make it sound worse. Reckons that the problem was so rampant in the first AU's that ford produced a video explaining it to customers (yeah right!...I never seen one). Said it "just how it is" and to live with it....so thats what I am doing.
mine sounds like the noise is coming from number 5/6 pistons .the noise is coming from around where the block meets the head ,so maybe is a gudgon pin issue.
i put a bottle of nulon lifter freeup in it this arvo .when i started it ,it had the same rattle .but after taking it for a bit of a drive,when i got home it wasn't making the rattle anymore.i'l try it again later on a cold start and see what it dose.
thanks for your help.
Old 30-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it still rattles on a cold start,but after its warm its fine.could it just be an oil grade issue???
it did using nulon 10/w30 and penrite 10 w/50.
any thoughts?