Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-04-2023, 11:51 AM   #1
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Default Mrk 4 Focus ST Michelin ps4s tyre wear.

Has anyone had issues with front tyres wearing on the inside, both my fronts have the canvas showing approx the same on either side they have done 27,000 km's & been rotated front to back every 7,500km's the vehicle has not been tracked or driven excessively hard as in cornering etc it is a late 2020 SA Mrk 4 ST so just gone 2yrs old, I was really surprised to see this amount of wear the tread in the centre of the tyre is fine still well above the wear markers
I have not hit any pot holes etc that would cause an alignment issue & it steers straight when on level ground, I am replacing the tyres within the next week & will obviously have the alignment checked, all I can think of is to much negative camber or toe out or both, what camber do they run from factory? I saw something that said anywhere from 0 to -1.6, thanks for any info.
John Humpo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2023, 01:47 AM   #2
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Default Re: Mrk 4 Focus ST Michelin ps4s tyre wear.

I had excessive wear front two tyres, toe -2.5mm left front and -2.9 right front, but my vehicle was lowered, mountune springs all round. I still managed to 22000k approx

After alignment, set of new tyres, running .8mm and .9mm
Old 18-04-2023, 02:50 PM   #3
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Mrk 4 Focus ST Michelin ps4s tyre wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
I had excessive wear front two tyres, toe -2.5mm left front and -2.9 right front, but my vehicle was lowered, mountune springs all round. I still managed to 22000k approx

After alignment, set of new tyres, running .8mm and .9mm
Thanks for the info mine is standard but I'm sure there is a camber or toe issue getting new Pilot sport 5's next week & definitely a wheel alignment, I think these tyres should last for at least 40,000km's without to much maniac driving they have a tread ware rating of 340 & get good reviews so here's hoping.
Old 23-04-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Humpo View Post
Thanks for the info mine is standard but I'm sure there is a camber or toe issue getting new Pilot sport 5's next week & definitely a wheel alignment, I think these tyres should last for at least 40,000km's without to much maniac driving they have a tread ware rating of 340 & get good reviews so here's hoping.
Let me know how you go the Pilot Sport 5's. I stuck with Pilot Sport 4S, but my wife's M135i has 18's and no PS4S to fit that size, so PS5 an option.
Old 25-04-2023, 06:03 PM   #5
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Let me know how you go the Pilot Sport 5's. I stuck with Pilot Sport 4S, but my wife's M135i has 18's and no PS4S to fit that size, so PS5 an option.
I will let you Know how they are as soon as I get a few k's on them all tests suggest there better then the pilot sport 4, we will see, all the best.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:37 PM   #6
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Mrk 4 Focus ST Michelin ps4s tyre wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Humpo View Post
I will let you Know how they are as soon as I get a few k's on them all tests suggest there better then the pilot sport 4, we will see, all the best.
Hi Redrum I have my new Pilot Sport 5's & have done about 400k's simply they are great, IMO slightly less noise than the 4s's, in corners they are very precise with really positive turn in, I have not driven in the wet as yet but from all the tests i have read they are even better in those conditions, another positive is the tread wear rating is 340 as against the 4s's which are 300 so going on that they should last longer with similar use, I had them fitted at Tempe Tyres in Sydney by far the cheapest $365 when the vehicle was on the wheel aligner I was informed there is no way to adjust the Camber from the factory settings on the front wheels so it stays as is & that was -1.8 on the passengers side & -1.9 on the other so i will be rotating the wheels every 5,000km's,they are my thoughts on them so far, cheers.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-05-2023, 07:03 AM   #7
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I don’t sense any road noise from my PS4’s and they are 20’s.
Good to hear 5’s are good as I expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2023, 10:46 AM   #8
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Hi Redrum I have my new Pilot Sport 5's & have done about 400k's simply they are great, IMO slightly less noise than the 4s's, in corners they are very precise with really positive turn in, I have not driven in the wet as yet but from all the tests i have read they are even better in those conditions, another positive is the tread wear rating is 340 as against the 4s's which are 300 so going on that they should last longer with similar use, I had them fitted at Tempe Tyres in Sydney by far the cheapest $365 when the vehicle was on the wheel aligner I was informed there is no way to adjust the Camber from the factory settings on the front wheels so it stays as is & that was -1.8 on the passengers side & -1.9 on the other so i will be rotating the wheels every 5,000km's,they are my thoughts on them so far, cheers. (sorry I originally put this in the wrong place, cheers)
Old 03-05-2023, 10:51 AM   #9
John Humpo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I don’t sense any road noise from my PS4’s and they are 20’s.
Good to hear 5’s are good as I expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi it was just a sense that the 5's might be just a shade quieter but there's really nothing in it, the 4s's were awesome but more expensive, cheers.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:56 AM   #10
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yep all good, yer your pricing looked pretty damn fair, wish 20x275's would be cheaper when I need to replace em haha and fronts.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post