Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default NSW Gov Report: 30kph 24/7 school zones

http://www.news.com.au/national/repo...-1226309359465

Quote:
SCHOOL zones should be enforced up to 24 hours a day with even higher penalties for speeding, the NSW government has been urged by its own road-safety inquiry.
In a report commissioned by Roads Minister Duncan Gay, the NSW Parliament's Staysafe Committee will this week recommend sweeping changes following a six-month inquiry into the 40km/h school zones.

The joint standing committee, which is run by Liberal MP Greg Aplin and Nationals upper house MP Rick Colless, says the government should consider increasing the number of hours school zones are in operation across the state.

Any move to add more hours of operation of school zones as well as fines will be met with fierce opposition by motorists because one of the government's most popular election pledges was to reduce the number of revenue-raising speed cameras.

School zones with a 40km/h speed limit operate from 8.30am to 9.30am in the morning and 2.30pm to 4pm in the afternoon outside more than 3000 schools.

But the Staysafe report cites examples from the ACT - where school zones are enforced for eight hours a day - and South Australia, which has a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week regime.

Raphael Grzebieta, professor of road safety at UNSW's Transport and Road Safety Research unit, said the government should make school zones 24 hours and look at reducing speeds in school zones from 40km to 30km/h.

"Even at 40km we are travelling at 10km faster than Europe," he said. "It's a matter of saving lives or allowing people to travel at speeds which are dangerous to our children."

The report also recommends increasing fines for school zones - which are already at least $60 more than normal speeding fines - to pay for a rollout of flashing lights in all school zones.

It also calls on the government to increase enforcement in school zones, with many still not having fixed cameras.

Mr Gay said he could not comment on the 19 recommendations because he was yet to receive the report.

But he said he would "closely examine" all of them.

Harold Scruby, chairman of the Pedestrian Council of Australia, said the recommendations were "wonderful" but said motorists would reject 24-hour zones.

"You have to balance safety with mobility, so 12-hour speed zones, seven days a week, would be more acceptable," Mr Scruby said.

NRMA president Wendy Machin said the state's motorists were sick of being used as "cash cows" for state government projects.

"Motorists already feel a strong sense of entrapment about school zones," she said. "We would be disappointed should Duncan Gay move to introduce any of these recommendations."

The government earns about $60 million each year in fines for school zone speeding.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NSW Gov Report: 30kph 24/7 school zones

There off there heads

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

What a bloody joke..... what's next?? Mounting flashing lights and having baton twirling dancing girls fore and aft of each car to let people know it is moving???

Myself and my wife are school teachers.... perhaps some fines for parents are in order in all honesty....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape
There off there heads
*snap*.. i came here to say that..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why 7 days a week 24 hours, or even 12 hours a day!! When there is NO ONE THERE HOW CAN ANYONE BE HURT?!!!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I live near a couple schools and can see no reason why i shouldn't be able to drive past them @ 50km/h when no students are present.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Well, when it uses the example of SA's 24/7 school zones, they don't mention they only apply when children can be seen in or near the zone. Which seems to work well enough.
2012 Ford FG MkII G6E 2014 -
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Next it will be playgrounds, day-care centres, McDonalds, the cinema.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL_250
Well, when it uses the example of SA's 24/7 school zones, they don't mention they only apply when children can be seen in or near the zone. Which seems to work well enough.

Well thats fair enough it it works like that! We use our brains! Sounds good!
Old 25-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
fordv8!

there should be speed cameras at ALL schools between hours of 6am to 6pm no questions asked . it is bloody disgracefull how many people speed through school areas...most times it stupid bloody parents whilst dropping there kids off or picking them up...pathetic
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^are you serious!? But what about when theres no one there and its plain for even a blind person to see (no parked cars on the 20metre wide road, in a country town that is completely dead of life, for example)?
Old 25-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
lorpy
Fpv gt mrk2

dig a hole gov and jump in it i say
lorpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh dear lord.... new government... more of the same.....

The stupidity continues with no boundaries.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i cover the brake no matter where i am when i see little kiddies.. random little suckers they are.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

I think the big part of this announcement is in the following point.
Quote:
The report also recommends increasing fines for school zones - which are already at least $60 more than normal speeding fines - to pay for a rollout of flashing lights in all school zones.

It also calls on the government to increase enforcement in school zones, with many still not having fixed cameras.
Clearly this "INITIATIVE"? is about raising funds, without the true focus being on road safety. If it was about road safety, then perhaps the roadsafe committee would also have commented / recommended changes higher up the hierachy of controls, such as
- Elimination Relocation of schools away from high volume / high risk locations. Such as on multi lane highways
- Isolation Construction of fencing around high risk schools to ensure that there is an effective barrier between traffic and pedestrians. Similar laws already exist and are used in addition to lower limits in construction zones
- Engineering In addition to the about barriers, ensure that schools are designed with appropriate parking / pick up areas well away from high risk traffic. I do remember reading somewhere that a good majority of accidents involved parents picking up children rather then a third party, passing the school travelling elsewhere.

I suppose we should be thankful that they haven't also recommended changing all school uniforms to high visibility / reflective with a flag on pole stitched into a hat that all school children should wear.

For the safety nazi's out there, please note that I am definitely NOT against safety. I am however very much against morality of those that conduct these "studies" that are focused on the easy answers. ie what is quickest / easiest / least expensive for us(ie the committee, NOT those that have to live with these answers long term).
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

I prob should make comment that I haven't seen the entirity of the report. It may contain other recommendations other than the ones that have been reported upon.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of control.

One country does something, then they become the standard, then a bit of one-upmanship comes along and they trump it. Next thing you know, you have 30km/h 24/7. Think of the school holidays! Christ!
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
Uncle Tone
Ploppy pants

Cash grab. Not about safety.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #19
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Common Sense preveils?????!!?!?!!?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-2...jected/3911014
Quote:
24-hour school zone speed limit rejected

Posted March 25, 2012 09:24:37
There were calls for permanent 40km per hour speed limits. Photo: There were calls for permanent 40km per hour speed limits. (ABC TV)

A New South Wales parliamentary committee looking at road safety says it has rejected calls for the introduction of permanent 24-hour speed limits in school zones.

The joint standing committee Staysafe received almost 30 submissions in its examination of school zones.

Nationals MLC Rick Colless, who is deputy chair of the committee, says there were suggestions of making the 40-kilometre-an-hour rule for school zones apply around the clock.

Mr Colless says when the committee gives its report to Parliament this week, it will not recommend a 24-hour speed limit for school zones.

New South Wales Roads Minister Duncan Gay says there is no need to introduce an around-the-clock limit.

"All the recommendations of the committee when they finally get to the Government will be examined fully," he said.

"But I've got to say off the top of my head I'm not overly excited about extending the hours in school zones.

"Twenty-four hours to me just seems way too long especially when children aren't there."

Mr Colless would not say whether the committee will recommend any extension to the school zone hours or whether it wants to see fines increased.

He says one important recommendation his team will make is that planners of new estates ensure that schools are built well away from homes to reduce the chance of children being hit.

Old 25-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Kevaclone

QLD did a trial of this in a few selected school zones a few years ago. Morayfield Primary School was one, the reason for the trial was that the Govt were concerned about those children who play in the school grounds outside of school hours. Anyone knows the only kids playing on school property outside school hours are the bloody vandals because the schools are locked up and patrolled by security who chase away anyone in there

The REAL reason was evident every Sunday afternoon. And they were doing a roaring trade with multiple cars pulled over for the entire time they were there

As wulos said. A proper safety strategy and REAL safety measures will significantly reduce the risks. That includes One Way barricaded pickup/dropoff zones where parents have to drive though single file and no one has to cross the roadway

30kph 24/7 is just going to be a money making scheme
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #21
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a point where it becomes too much, if they made the school I work at always 40/30 km/h then I could see a HUGE uproar from motorists and no benefits in safety. But it's equally ironic to see that my school is on the corner of two big 4 lane roads, one being the road to the industrial estate meaning lots and lots of huge trucks, and one being just a big road for more cars. There's never been one road accident involving a child from the school on these roads.

These blanket rules for schools shouldn't be put into place because not every school needs it, I'm sure some do require upgraded safety, but it should be more huge 40 signs painted on the road, flashing led signs, and a police presence to enforce it during school rush hours. A blanket 30 km/h is just going to make everyone speed up if anything.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most schools zones in Vic are all marked as 40ks zones all the time. you get a few that are on main roads that have variable zones during school hours. But the ones in normal streets are marked as 40ks.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cough.... governement has responded saying it wont be recommending the change....

Old 25-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
Matty4
Banana

I liked this little quote,
"Even at 40km we are travelling at 10km faster than Europe," he said.
Great.........so by that reasoning if they are prepared to follow the example set in Europe when it comes to setting speed limits........well..........!!!!
Old 25-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
wulos
Forum Director

Cough cough - the NSW staysafe committee is the government. The report was commissioned by sitting MP, the report was prepared by the staysafe committee which currently consists of 8 members of parliament...

Without turning this into a political discussion - I will restate what I said above.

Important problems, require definitive solutions aimed at finding a long term solution - NOT simply band aiding the issue, & transfering blame / owenership on to others(or even worse, saying yeah well we did our bit - we've at least looked at the prob.)
Old 25-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys you are missing the point here.

A group of nutters produce a crazy report with unworkable recommendations and give it to the government.

This is what nutters do on a daily basis.

Does no one remember the federally funded investigation into road deaths that came up with "Prohibit overtaking on any road that did not have at least 2 lanes so no one will ever be on the wrong side of the road"?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #27
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Guys you are missing the point here.

A group of nutters produce a crazy report with unworkable recommendations and give it to the government.

This is what nutters do on a daily basis.

Does no one remember the federally funded investigation into road deaths that came up with "Prohibit overtaking on any road that did not have at least 2 lanes so no one will ever be on the wrong side of the road"?
Makes the issue an even more incrimininating endictment on our parliament when those nutters are our elected representitives...........
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #28
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Someone send one of these ***** up the pacific highway during these hours, sit on 30km/h through all the school zones and see how long it takes compared to 40km/h...

It's bad enough, let alone dropping it another 10km/h... Next we'll be pushing our cars through these school zones!

Last edited by wulos; 25-03-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate content
XRGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #29
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about teaching kids to value their life and look before crossing the road
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Next it will be playgrounds, day-care centres, McDonalds, the cinema.....
.... front of any house anywhere that has a child living, visiting or has ever been there in the past 10 years.

24 hour thing is the kind of stupidity that comes from idiots who get the car out of the garage after breakfast and have it back in before dinner time and then claim they are road experts. They wouldn't know what the roads are like when the street lights are on.

I would be happy if shook zone were in place 8am till 4 pm but that's it.
30kmh would be ok if the normL limit is 50 or 60. But if it's any higher I think 40 is a big enough drop in speed.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post