Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-03-2023, 10:54 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Indeed. I’ve been vegetarian (not vegan) for over 35 years and never looked for “just like” substitutes. Occasionally I miss savoury meat products like pastrami or curried goat, but not enough to actually want to eat them again. Or seek out a lookalike.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2023, 11:39 PM   #2
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Indeed. I’ve been vegetarian (not vegan) for over 35 years and never looked for “just like” substitutes. Occasionally I miss savoury meat products like pastrami or curried goat, but not enough to actually want to eat them again. Or seek out a lookalike.
But you probably dont harp on about saving the animals or eating meat like my niece does, she used to eat meat up until she was 22?

She deserves the meat and sausage marinated vegetable sausages that I serve up to her, just for all the crap about why we should not eat meat we have to endure at each BBQ
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2023, 12:00 AM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Never did. I think lifestyle choices should be informed by respect and common sense - then we appreciate the common ground instead of getting hung up on the differences.

Besides, who (of any dietary persuasion) doesn’t like coleslaw and chips?
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2023, 02:06 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

Probably about a year ago the sewer vent in my brothers yard was overflowing. He didnt want to call sydney water as he has no side access and didnt want filth tracked through his house. So he lives in a townhouse and there is a common area down stream which has an access cover. I stood back and found it quite entertaining. He loosened off 2 screws on the lid and got sprayed with excriment. So called sydney water as they had clear access to that inspection lid. The blockage was apparently 300 odd meters down stream, but they cleared it.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2023, 02:33 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Probably about a year ago the sewer vent in my brothers yard was overflowing. He didnt want to call sydney water as he has no side access and didnt want filth tracked through his house. So he lives in a townhouse and there is a common area down stream which has an access cover. I stood back and found it quite entertaining. He loosened off 2 screws on the lid and got sprayed with excriment. So called sydney water as they had clear access to that inspection lid. The blockage was apparently 300 odd meters down stream, but they cleared it.
Sydney water would be onto that quick smart. Effluent down street is considered a major catastrophe.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2023, 02:43 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

When they’re ripe and blow back at you from built up pressure of wastewater and gas, that’s not fun.

Re the drill bit, I was educated old-school style and that included lots of lateral thinking. Typical examples would be coming in through an outside wall instead of smashing up bathroom tiles, or digging a tunnel under a slab instead of going through the top. I think the new breed of tradies are way too reliant on machines rather than intellect or sweat - it’s better to have all approaches in the kit. The amount of wasted time on new builds with a toy-size digger instead of two blokes with shovels, does my head in.
Old 21-03-2023, 03:54 PM   #7
Kicking back

Quote:
When they’re ripe and blow back at you from built up pressure of wastewater and gas, that’s not fun.

Re the drill bit, I was educated old-school style and that included lots of lateral thinking. Typical examples would be coming in through an outside wall instead of smashing up bathroom tiles, or digging a tunnel under a slab instead of going through the top. I think the new breed of tradies are way too reliant on machines rather than intellect or sweat - it’s better to have all approaches in the kit. The amount of wasted time on new builds with a toy-size digger instead of two blokes with shovels, does my head in.
One job i did not envy. So years back i was do a domestic on a 'fixer upper' in avalon. So i was just doing the electrical. The house itself was sliding down the hill it was built on. No joke, you put a drill bit down and it would roll away. Under the house, most brick peirs were on a lean and not even contacting the beams. But anyrate, the owner paid for the foundations to be fixed. So around the externals the assumingly well paid poor blokes dug by hand 8ft deep holes then under the footings. With the lack of access and how soft the ground was, machinery was not a safe option. It rained heavily for a few days so the holes filled up and had to get pumped out, but as the place was halfway down a big hill (not quite a mountain) it copped all the runoff from higher areas so even with days of good weather the holes would fill up again. These holes were dug to fill with concrete to give stable points to then use hydraulic jacks to lift the house whilst new footings could be made to both level the house and stop its migration down the slope.
So much money and work. The start was a pretty **** house sliding down a hill. End product is the same ****ty house thats level and not sliding down a hill. Dunno the mentality of the owner. It would cost not a massive amount more to demo the place and have a new one built to their specs.
Old 21-03-2023, 02:44 PM   #8
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Sydney water would be onto that quick smart. Effluent down street is considered a major catastrophe.
After the brown smelly swamp in my brothers yard dried up and the clumps of poo tickets removed, tomato plants and chilli plants started growing.
Part of my property is an easement as the sewer main runs along it. There is a vent and access point at the bottom of my driveway. From time to time that backs up but its 65m from my house (i live in a battle axe so long driveway) so typically its people who live down at the street who call it in due to unpleasant odours.
Old 31-03-2023, 11:46 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tried to install a Windows VM box in Ubuntu but my licence key was ****ed even though it is legit.

Tried a Win 10 ISO and then even installing from my original Win 7 DVD but key rejected. WTF
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2023, 08:35 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Apple, table, coin… Who put the biscuit tin in the fridge, instead of back in the cupboard where it belongs?

I ought to shortly start a “Wanted” post in the classifieds section, seeking marbles.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 03-04-2023 at 08:36 PM. Reason: .Dlrow
4 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2023, 09:38 PM   #11
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Decided to use the not so good weather over the long weekend to give the Xr8 a well-deserved clean after my trip to Newie a few weeks back.

I have a couple of kinchrome wall mounted tool cupboards that are sitting on the ground against the wall beside the Xr8. As I reversed out, I hear a bang and stop immediately, only to find one of the cupboard doors has opened in the wind as I'm reversing out and has caught against the side of the car.

The subsequent damage:

Paint removed and a dent.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2023, 09:46 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Bugger!
Old 08-04-2023, 09:52 PM   #13
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Decided to use the not so good weather over the long weekend to give the Xr8 a well-deserved clean after my trip to Newie a few weeks back.

I have a couple of kinchrome wall mounted tool cupboards that are sitting on the ground against the wall beside the Xr8. As I reversed out, I hear a bang and stop immediately, only to find one of the cupboard doors has opened in the wind as I'm reversing out and has caught against the side of the car.

The subsequent damage:

OUCH!! .. not HAPPY Jan..........
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2023, 11:06 PM   #14
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

The subsequent damage:

So sorry to see that.

A PDR guy should be able to deal with dent and repair the paint in that section.

These are a franchise, so check for someone local to you -

https://www.touchupguys.com.au/
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2023, 11:16 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That’s almost how I saw a repair evolving. Certainly not full dogleg repair and blend. This is patina in action.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:50 PM   #16
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:

The subsequent damage:

Finally had the chance to pop in to a local repair shop. One with a good reputation and one that has done two excellent jobs for me in the past.

Estimate was a fair bit more than I was expecting!

$1.5 to $2k

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2023, 05:38 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

A first for me, after an hour of waiting I pulled the pin on Service NSW for a transaction that could not be resolved online.

It afforded ample time for “people watching”, there was the predictable quotient of one group who think they can wear the staff down to acceding (it doesn’t work) and a good number of stupid people (as evidenced by the questions they were asking and the responses being returned). Overall, today has been about wading though a veritable sea of halfwits. My sole successes were trade counter purchases of fasteners and o-rings.

It’s a while since I’ve felt this demotivated about the realities of Sydney, but what a return to form per my longstanding impressions.
6 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2023, 05:39 PM   #18
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When bands put out a new release, you buy it, then they re-release with an extra 2 songs.
This time round I bought the bonus double disc set...and they released again with a 3rd disc.... goddammit
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2023, 09:49 PM   #19
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

That sucks, at least its a nice small area, so pretty easy to fix.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2023, 10:02 PM   #20
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
That sucks, at least its a nice small area, so pretty easy to fix.
Yeah, could have been worse. If the door had not caught in the guard but was at full open as I reversed, I may not have heard anything and ended up with nice scratch marks down the length of the entire car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2
OUCH!! .. not HAPPY Jan..........
You know, I don't think I even swore. Bummed it happened but nothing I could do about it once it had happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 01:20 AM   #21
Kicking back

Ahhh, gosh.
So my brother asked if he could use my laptop to pay some bills over the interwebs today. Thats fine. So i turned on my craptop and said go ham. This is where it really cemented my opinion that my older brother is technologicaly retarded. He asks where is the internet¿. So i opened chrome on the desktop.
He types in the site to pay the bill and it came up. Then he starts tapping the screen, then more agressively tapping the screen then tells me the stupid thing is broken. Its not broken, it just isnt a fancy craptop, it doesn't have a touch screen, you need to use the touch pad thing.
5 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 04:19 PM   #22
roKWiz
Cabover nut

The way Aldi has followed the Bunnings, Kmart, Spotlight and other big box store model of flogging overpriced cheap quality Chinese crap throughout their special buys.
Was once quality German, Euro made stuff on offer.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2023, 04:52 PM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Customer service.....Dropped off some original decals I had made for a sign company to make. The original guy who made mine has now retired so I went seeking a new supplier for my equipment.

Last May (yes 2022) I had this conversation with this guy looking over the truck and promising me the world to make new ones.
So after several phone calls over several months communication stopped and i sort of couldn't be bothered chasing it up.

Until one day a client explained how faded my signage had gotten on one truck.
I thought bugger it I'll paint my own.
In the meantime I called into to see these jokers yesterday to get the originals back and now they have total memory loss, can't find them and pretend I was never there.

Upside to this story is I'm teaching myself signwriting trucks with the truck coming out better than expected.

before...

after...

Last edited by roKWiz; 12-04-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:00 PM   #24
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Nice work by the slackers. They deserve a one star review from “Ken Bruce”.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2023, 05:04 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Nice work by the slackers. They deserve a one star review from “Ken Bruce”.
I just want my originals back. btw got a beauty for your cut once measure twice thread.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:11 PM   #26
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

multi talented buga arent you
Old 12-04-2023, 06:17 PM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
multi talented buga arent you
Necessity is the Mother of invention.

Old 19-04-2023, 06:31 AM   #28
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Had a total mental blank at the ATM, guessed my PIN wrong - it retained the card and returned cash I was trying to deposit. I’m reckoning that with all the recent data leaks and necessary re-issuing of things, this (forgetting details) is probably quite common. Still adds another mission to the day for retrieval.
5 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2023, 03:34 PM   #29
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Have to credit the bank (one of the four pillars), they actually called me to advise; when I went in it was sorted in just a few minutes. Not your usual banking “experience”.
5 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2023, 09:02 PM   #30
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Have to credit the bank (one of the four pillars), they actually called me to advise; when I went in it was sorted in just a few minutes. Not your usual banking “experience”.
Had my card swallowed once, all for my benefit; to stop would be thieves/scammers continuing use of it. Bit of bugger to have a brain fart in these situations.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post