Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Typhoon-GTS

I get around the city quite a bit in my work vehicle and this is the first time I've seen FPV and the HSV at a set of lights on pole, I knew the FPV was a BF Typhoon, as it is based not to far from our workshop but couldn't tell if the HSV was a 307 or 317 as I was at least a couple of cars behind them, waiting in anticipation for the clouds of tyre smoke aaaaaand Nope! nice and sedately off the line till the next set of lights to where I turned off! Might have been the fact that it was a Typhoon sitting next to him or they were just a sensible couple of middle aged men out enjoying a drive, Point of the post?? you don't have to have a drag race everytime to see the opposition at the lights...( would have liked to have seen a bit of tyre smoke though )

PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
WASP
Whipple Induced

Two great street cars there. They were probably both too distracted with admiring each other’s vehicle and accepting that based on a 5 second blast their was bugger all between them anyway.

Fortunately I have grown to see the loonesy in street racing, especially when you see how fast our cars are getting these days. My concern is what starts as a little playful banter often escalates into something else more dangerous. Some people, and I mean quite a lot just don’t know when to back off and I have seen enough of this to know that it's just not worth the short lived adrenalin rush.

I know what both my cars can do, know what they’re capable of and if I want to test them, there is a time and place for this. I actually appreciate seeing another tough streeters just cruising on the road, minding thier own business, looking and sounding fantastic which in itself makes its own statement.
Old 14-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
tweeked
N/A all the way

Yep times have moved on. Nothing better than staging up at the drags with a GM product in the other lane though, and watching them drive past the timeslip booth on the return road too sheepish to stop after you give them a tail light show!!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very true CDAA, nothing more sexy than a performance car cruising at the speed limit, knowing what you have under the hood is all thats needed.
Old 14-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Yep times have moved on. Nothing better than staging up at the drags with a GM product in the other lane though, and watching them drive past the timeslip booth on the return road too sheepish to stop after you give them a tail light show!!
I wish!!! I dought my 315 would give a 317 a tail light show!! never mind I didn't buy it for that!!
Old 14-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Mutual respect between a HSV and an FPV owner lined up next to each other at a set of lights is nice to hear, no need to roast the tyres and lose your license, give each other a nod and enjoy the rumble as you cruise away sedately.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Well that's good to hear that they weren't typical morons turning public roads into drag strips. I cop bogans in SS Commodores all too often trying to race off the lights (maybe because I'm 21 they think I'm stupid like them?), it's always funny seeing them blast off the line only to find out nobody is racing them. Maybe it's just me, but I'd be embarrassed to be seen racing people at traffic lights, I leave that kind of stuff to bogans, ricers and vin diesel.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
F6T
Has V8 envy

In my experience, it is the DH's in cars that don't have a chance that will want to have a crack at me at the lights. I never bite though. What a hollow victory it would be (and guaranteed there is an undercover cop car 2 car lengths behind you).

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHawk
Very true CDAA, nothing more sexy than a performance car cruising at the speed limit...
PHawk me, you need to get out more...
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
PHawk me, you need to get out more...
Old 14-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
(and guaranteed there is an undercover cop car 2 car lengths behind you).
Although not guaranteed, he could be the one "racing" you.
Old 14-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #12
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is the one thing I hate about having a F6 ute, every man and his dog wants to drag you (yep even the loonies in their 4 cyl Camiras, Coronas, and Camrys). I disapoint them all, will never drag on a public street
There is a time and place for everything in life
Old 14-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
In my experience, it is the DH's in cars that don't have a chance that will want to have a crack at me at the lights. I never bite though. What a hollow victory it would be (and guaranteed there is an undercover cop car 2 car lengths behind you).
huh? Mike you have to come clean - what if i was next to you in the grocery getter?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when we picked up the Calais. It was only a day, or so after we bought it, and driving through Bathurst some tool in a Lancer (Just a non-turbo 2 door) wanted to drag us at the lights.

The old man gave it a rev to let him know it was a V8, but he just let him go. It's funny to stir them up, and watch them take off from the lights in a cloud of smoke.

Street light racing is so bloody pointless. It's nice to see for a change a HSV, and a FPV owner just let eachother go without the typical street light racer b.s.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always used to get a laugh when I had the F6. There were always tools at the traffic lights wanting to race, so I always gave it a rev then watched the Richard Craniums smoking away while I just cruised off.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #16
jordsnissannx
SR20 Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
some tool in a Lancer (Just a non-turbo 2 door) wanted to drag us at the lights.

The old man gave it a rev to let him know it was a V8, but he just let him go. It's funny to stir them up, and watch them take off from the lights in a cloud of smoke.
cloud of smoke? a lancer? must of been a gsr or something then lol

standard lancers arent fast and dont smoke tyres hahaha

that calais could of beat it driving casually lol
jordsnissannx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you gotta know when to hold em.. know when to fold em.. know when to walk away.. or stuff it just have a little fun.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #18
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordsnissannx
cloud of smoke? a lancer? must of been a gsr or something then lol

standard lancers arent fast and dont smoke tyres hahaha

that calais could of beat it driving casually lol
Sorry how silly of me. In this instance there was smoke created, because it was a POS that was blowing smoke.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #19
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Take it to the strip/track. So much more fun there.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember a mate of mine always used to line up for street drags in his then new Pulsar SSS. He'd bait the other driver at a red light with the standard moves; revving the engine, edging forward, looking over etc. The instant the light went green and the other car has launched at full power, my mate would be in reverse going the other way. (always late at night, no other cars around)

We figured it made the other guy look stupid for taking his car so seriously, (which it did) he would have thought we were even stupider, (which we probably were) but either way, it was hilarious for us at 18 immature years of age....
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #21
sbcb
BA Xr8

Pussies.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #22
sbcb
BA Xr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcb
Pussies.
Kidding lads, Kidding. Had to be said or i would have exploded.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #23
jordsnissannx
SR20 Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Sorry how silly of me. In this instance there was smoke created, because it was a POS that was blowing smoke.
haha sounds a lot better and how a lancer should be lol

love the sss reversing, i might try that next time i line something p plated like a commonwhore up or something haha

jordo
jordsnissannx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #24
CODSASR

Iremember back in ballarat the cops had a unmarked black xr8 ute late at night they woul go down the main street and bait p platers into a drag the lights go green p plater takes off wheels spining then 50 meters down the road the cop has him pulled over handing him a ticket. was funny seeing it atleast once a week.
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #25
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
Take it to the strip/track. So much more fun there.
Absolutely, thats where your car does what you say it does, or leaves embarressed.....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post