Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Go Fords!!
CRU63R

Default BA XT in Manual?

I did a search but couldn;t find anything...maybe a thrashed question but oh well

Do BA XT sedans exist in a manual?

I have an EF GLi manual at the moment and was just trying to find out if I upgraded to BA whether they come in manual other than the XRs

I have looked on all the car sites on the web and can;t seem to find any BA XT with manuals??

I am guessing the answer is no but just wanted to ask people that were 100%

Cheers

1963 1/2 Galaxie 500XL 2dr Fastback
390FE
Auto
Bucket Seats
Go Fords!! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
DW260

They sure do exist, but they're few and far between.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW260
They sure do exist, but they're few and far between.
What he said (look on redbook.com.au) if u want to see spec's for BA XT manual

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

You can also go the the Ford site and spec on up on their simulator

that said it does not mean anyone actually bought one
Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is one

carsales
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I asked a Ford Mechanic about a noise in my manual gearbox. He said he had never heard it before, as he wasn't familiar with the Manuals!!! :
Majority were auto's that he serviced.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
I asked a Ford Mechanic about a noise in my manual gearbox. He said he had never heard it before, as he wasn't familiar with the Manuals!!! :
Majority were auto's that he serviced.
The main noise in the T5 boxes AU and BA is roll over noise, this varies considerably form one car to another (i have two and one is horrendus and the other barely noticable both done over 110 000km both BA's)

Even when Ford does recognize the noise they will state it is within tollerance, (ION Cop out) the easy way to check for it is to start the car and whilst the door is open turn on the AC as the idle drops the noise will be more evident.

But you could be lucky and jag any one of a million noises in these boxes. The 6 speed on the other hand is brilliant in my uneducated opinion.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
here is one

carsales

Gee 24K is plenty for that, must be hoping that it's rarity will get it sold.
There are cheaper XR's than that with similar K's at the auctions here in Brissy.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
Danny
GT4.

God. Same gearbox from way back in the XF days the ole ION Borg Warner T5 (isn't it?). Even the gearknob used on the BA XT is the same knob that was used on EF EL's! Rarity on a BA and a bloody SHOCKING gearbox to put behind 1700 kilos and 182kW of Dual VCT DOHC (comparitive) technical wizardry! I guess thats why the complaints of it when it was mated to the Turbos were so rife!

That said, It would be an absolute hoot driving one. Would be interesting to see how the T5's go in the stock 3.23:1 XT.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
God. Same gearbox from way back in the XF days the ole ION Borg Warner T5 (isn't it?). Even the gearknob used on the BA XT is the same knob that was used on EF EL's! Rarity on a BA and a bloody SHOCKING gearbox to put behind 1700 kilos and 182kW of Dual VCT DOHC (comparitive) technical wizardry! I guess thats why the complaints of it when it was mated to the Turbos were so rife!

That said, It would be an absolute hoot driving one. Would be interesting to see how the T5's go in the stock 3.23:1 XT.
Well ive driven a BF XT I6 manual and it hammered. yes the box isn't the best, but its liveable and does the job.

Certainly suprised me and a few VS SS's thats for sure.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

My Dad owns a BA MK1 XT 5 speed manual, bought it new. It goes pretty hard. He hates auto's though, never owned one, and fair enough too.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:00 AM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
My Dad owns a BA MK1 XT 5 speed manual, bought it new. It goes pretty hard. He hates auto's though, never owned one, and fair enough too.
I worked with a pommy guy at ford and his lease car was a black XT manual. He hated the gearbox so much, but hated auto's even more.

It clunked all the time, but still, would be a great car to do up.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I worked with a pommy guy at ford and his lease car was a black XT manual. He hated the gearbox so much, but hated auto's even more.

It clunked all the time, but still, would be a great car to do up.
Dad's been lucky with that car, it's PERFECT, the only thing ever wrong with it was a vibration half way down the car in the exhaust region when revved hard, Ford couldn't fix it, local mechanic fixed it for him for no cost in 10 minutes, was one of the mounts.

I've driven it several times and it's nice as.. as i said, one of the lucky ones, 60,000km old and not a problem in the world. But in general yes, the Ford manual gearboxes tend to be an afterthought.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #14
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

My son has a XT V8 manual, although they run the Tremac box which are much smoother to use.
You can fix the short commings of the I6 T5 box by changing the ATF to light gear oil, that will smooth the gear changes & make the box a lot less rattley..
Repsol light gear oil. Penrite light gear oil, will all fix the T5...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Steve,
A friend of mine up here on the Gold Coast bought a second hand black XT V8 manual in Sydney last year. He contacted the previous owner who apparently buys a new manual V8 every time a new model comes out and quoted that there were only seven BA XT V8's sold.
Regards
P Butler
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 09:01 AM   #16
blackauman
Gotta Love Manual V8!!

Thumbs up

At work we had a Black I6 BA XT MK1 5 Speed. It was sold some time ago. The gearbox was a bit harsh but the car went so much better than the auto. The auto takes its sweet time to wind up, the manual kicks in straight away through the gears. I would pick the manual anyday over the auto.
  • Tickford Snorkle
  • K&N Air Filter
  • HI-Flow Cats
  • Sports Exhaust
  • 7" Touch Screen DVD Player
  • 12" Sub and 4ch Amp
blackauman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #17
x_phantom_x

Manuals are actually standard on a BA XT. The auto is optional. If you look at the ford spec book, it shows that...
x_phantom_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #18
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_phantom_x
Manuals are actually standard on a BA XT. The auto is optional. If you look at the ford spec book, it shows that...
yeah that's been the case with every base model falcon ever made.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Are you sure?

I thought auto and air con has been standard since AU, that was there whole marketing thing I thought. :
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #20
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Are you sure?

I thought auto and air con has been standard since AU, that was there whole marketing thing I thought. :
nope
air is standard now, but still manual.

taken from ford.com.au:

"Key FeaturesBarra 190 - 4.0L DOHC Dual Independent VCT I6 engine190kW of power @ 5250rpm and 383Nm of torque @ 2500rpm5-speed manual transmission"
Old 09-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #21
x_phantom_x

Quote:
Are you sure?

Yes I'm sure, but its strange isn't it? Looks like most people prefer the auto over the manual, maybe so the wife can drive it. lol
Old 09-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #22
xfalconz

I had a 5speed in my BA XT ute. It had the rollover noise but other than that it was fine. In fact i dont think the 6 speed in my current ute is much better!
xfalconz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #23
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
The main noise in the T5 boxes AU and BA is roll over noise, this varies considerably form one car to another (i have two and one is horrendus and the other barely noticable both done over 110 000km both BA's)

Even when Ford does recognize the noise they will state it is within tollerance, (ION Cop out) the easy way to check for it is to start the car and whilst the door is open turn on the AC as the idle drops the noise will be more evident.

But you could be lucky and jag any one of a million noises in these boxes. The 6 speed on the other hand is brilliant in my uneducated opinion.
My Father in Law (Has more of an idea than Ford if you ask me) reckons it could be the the thrust bearing, as there is a rattle when I let the clutch out... Still haven't found a dealer who want to fix it... If it needs fixing...
Old 09-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #24
turboute
turboute

Interesting - you cannot get the manual and the V8 anymore - only the Auto 6. Also you cannot get the LSD with it.

Auto is still a 1k or so upgrade although I did think they were offering auto's as a free upgrade at some stage.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
Interesting - you cannot get the manual and the V8 anymore - only the Auto 6. Also you cannot get the LSD with it.

Auto is still a 1k or so upgrade although I did think they were offering auto's as a free upgrade at some stage.
I think they do that so you basically have to buy an XR to get a manual, which is more money for them. selfish buggers.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #26
XRchic
Hello

Apparently they no longer make the XT in manual as it was such an uncommon thing to order.

The JMM XT is a manual though, and Brenden fitted LSD to it aftermarket. It has the DEV3 BA kit and ran a 14.24 at Heathcote.

I would never buy a 6 cylinder in an auto, regardless of gearboxes. Well I dont think I would buy any auto for that matter. I have just had my gearbox rebuilt under warranty and its very nice! Clutch is another issue though, but thats easily fixed with an Extreme clutch. But if you get a manual 6 and drive it normally, I would doubt youd have much trouble with the T5 unless you are very unlucky.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Apparently they no longer make the XT in manual as it was such an uncommon thing to order.

The JMM XT is a manual though, and Brenden fitted LSD to it aftermarket. It has the DEV3 BA kit and ran a 14.24 at Heathcote.

I would never buy a 6 cylinder in an auto, regardless of gearboxes. Well I dont think I would buy any auto for that matter. I have just had my gearbox rebuilt under warranty and its very nice! Clutch is another issue though, but thats easily fixed with an Extreme clutch. But if you get a manual 6 and drive it normally, I would doubt youd have much trouble with the T5 unless you are very unlucky.
How on gods name did you get your gearox fixed under warrenty with those mods! Dont get me wrong, nice work!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #28
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
How on gods name did you get your gearox fixed under warrenty with those mods! Dont get me wrong, nice work!
Its a matter of researching the right dealer...

Have also had 2 new clutches under warranty with those mods.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #29
x_phantom_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic

I dont see anything wrong with autos, you might lose .3 of a second on the drag strip, but so what...Anyway that's just your opinion I guess.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
I dont see anything wrong with autos, you might lose .3 of a second on the drag strip, but so what...Anyway that's just your opinion I guess.
Mate there is an Auto vs Manual thread, Im pretty sure manual won that poll.

XRChic, I have a feeling you might get a few PM's regarding that dealer!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane