Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default QLD Residents, it is time to help your Paramedics

Ok, I could potentially get in the deep proverbial at work but desperate times call for desperate acts so here goes. According to my work Code of Coduct, I am not allowed to discuss this issue with the media, but this is not the media so I will take the risk.

The paramedics of QLD are at this moment in negotiation with the QLD Government regarding our new EBA which will be in force for the next 3 years.

The Paramedics are asking for a pay rise that is in line with inflation, to occur every year over the next 3, I am sure you will all agree that is pretty fair. The state government has offered us a flat 3.25%, an increase that does not even bring us back to our previous financial position of 3 years ago during the last EBA (not even enough to cover inflation over the past 3 years).

During the last three years paramedics have seen a massive increase in workload, less crews on road and enormous increases in skills and responsibility (to the benefit of the QLD people). With all this extra pressure, not one pay rise. For our overly generous $23.56 per hour (plus shift allowances) QLD Paramedics are expected to make life saving decisions, place themselves in danger, train junior student paramedics, study in order to further education and skills and endure often long shifts with little or no rest breaks. Of course we do this, not because of the huge financial benefit (there is none) but because of our caring and compassion for those that need us. Don't get me wrong, the average paramedic is motivated, dedicated and has a true passion for his/her job but hates the conditions.

This situation of poor pay is leading to a number of problems. I am sure there are many more than what I have listed but this will give you the idea

1 Paramedics are increasingly leaving the service to find employment elsewhere, not through greed but necessity. This results in losses of experienced paramedics in the service. Think of this, each paramedic takes 3 years to train and a lot of money, losses that are not easily and cheaply replaced.

2 More paramedics are finding themselves having to do more overtime shifts in order to make ends meet at the end of the fortnight. This is resulting in extreme personal, physical and emotional stresses on the paramedic and thus greatly increasing fatigue, ill health and reducing professional longevity.

3 A large number of paramedics are moving to rural areas for better income which leaves the metro areas with critical staffing shortages (hence why we can volunteer for so much overtime, I personally average 20-30hrs per week). These staffing shortages are being addressed by importing trained Paramedics from the UK rather than trying to keep the ones we have.

We are not asking to be paid a fortune for doing nothing; all we are asking is to be paid fairly for what we do. We save lives, but we barely get paid more than a manager at Mc Donald’s. QLD Ambulance Service is one of, if not the lowest paid in Australia for on road serving Paramedics.

So why am I writing this, to get the word out there in about the only way I can. Please, for the health of your ambulance service, start taking interest in this matter. If you see what I am saying and agree, help us out. We can not strike, we can not take out any form of meaningful industrial action, because if we do people will die and it is not in our nature to do this. The Government know this and that is why our cries for help are never heard at government level, we need the people of the state to be our voice.

If you find this situation distasteful, write to the Minister of Emergency Services or your local member and make your voice heard, it is your ambulance service and it will be there when you need it.

Those of you in other states, take interest in your own Ambulance Service, you are their voice, just as they are there to help you.

Last edited by geckoGT; 17-10-2008 at 03:31 PM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have my support. As a nurse, QHealth are offering us 3.25% !!!!!!!!!!
5% should be the minimum with NO trade offs.
Hospital support staff are also offered 3.25% but will get 4% with trade offs !!!
Firies are offered 2.5%.
AND we are supposed to have a Labor Government. !!!
Old 17-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

My partners brother is a Paramedic with the QAS...consider it done.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, nick off you overpaid bus driver......

See ya later, I'm off down the pub after I ring the 000 taxi. It is free you know coz I got a mate who once had a power bill with energex. They are still chasing him for the money but......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

I can tell everyone that this has been going on for ages, poor GeckoGT has been doing overtime for as long as I have known him. I would encourage everyone to write or even a simple phone call to the people who can make a difference (as per geckogt's suggestion) and hope that relief comes soon. The government can dip into the surplus to try and save an economy but seem to have empty pockets when it’s comes to human life.

The Qld gov better act quickly because I know there is only so much an overworked paramedic can take.
Old 17-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
I can tell everyone that this has been going on for ages, poor GeckoGT has been doing overtime for as long as I have known him. I would encourage everyone to write or even a simple phone call to the people who can make a difference (as per geckogt's suggestion) and hope that relief comes soon. The government can dip into the surplus to try and save an economy but seem to have empty pockets when it’s comes to human life.

The Qld gov better act quickly because I know there is only so much an overworked paramedic can take.
QLD gov are screwed up, they've finally started paying police better, also putting a fair bit of money into recruitment. its about time the QAS got the same
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

It surprises me that you guys earn basically what I earn and I do a white-collar IT job - apparently I could earn more elsewhere and our job is nowhere near as dangerous or has the level of responsibility that yours has.

I mean the only blood I will get on me will be my own from a paper cut or perhaps that of a user after I throttle them for doing something stupid . In all seriousness, you guys deal with the really crappy side of people - I once was awoken at 7:30 on a saturday to the noise of some crazy Japanese woman dressed as a geisha standing in the middle of the street carrying on and yelling things out in Japanese. Not long after the paramedics arrived to provide her with assistance ( I think she was either mentally ill, on drugs, or both). Instead of graciously accepting the help she decided to start attacking the paramedics and go insane, hitting, trying to bite them, throwing things etc. The paramedics eventually gave up, went back to their truck, locked the doors and called the coppers who came and took her away in a paddy wagon. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be turning up to HELP someone only to have them turn on you and go ballistic. And only get paid marginally better than a burger flipper manager. I find it pathetic that our essential service workers can't even afford to live in the places they work in. Our country has been going down the toilet for some time now.
Old 17-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is from the internal QLD govt jobs website - this is a pay rate for an intensive care paramedic - this goes to show you how much they are paid for thier service to the community. Not much indeed
Get behind them
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc4.doc (143.5 KB, 159 views)
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The feeling I get with government owned services is that they try to run them down so they dont function then make them government owned corporations then privatise them. Surely some of the tax , excise on fuel could be directed to ambulance, fire fighters , Rail transport.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I actually really feel for you Gecko. I am horrified by that hourly rate you guys are paid. For what you would have to know and do, and what is expected from you in a split second, that pay is a disgrace. Your job is very honourable and I sincerely hope that you guys get what you're asking. Even then, what you're asking is probably only what you'd realistically expect, and you're not even getting that let alone what is actually fair!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Public Sector Wages Policies - gotta love those. In NSW it is 2.5% to supposedly maintain real wages. Anything above that is funded by trade-offs!

You have my support Gecko. Tough and vitally important job that most of us don't want to do, yet we (as a society) apparently dont value it. Some finance and investment people earn huge amounts of money to earn clients huge amounts of money, but what good is that if your are dead? Gecko and others keep us alive, but we as a society seem to take that for granted. Only way to change that is, as Gecko said, to make our elected representatives aware of our feelings.
Old 17-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Scott

I thought the hourly rate would have been much better....then I remembered the cool company car, no driving infringements, free drugs and lots of women. All of a sudden I found myself looking on seek.com for a job like yours ;)

Seriously though, how does that pay reflect that job? A reasonable PA gets more than that.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personaly dont think any of the emergancy services peronell are over paid and particuly in the case of ambos and paramedics, I hope you guys are sucessful in your efforts, I can tell you I have worked with a few of your NSW counter parts and man you guys earn every cent

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Thanks for your replies everyone, sometimes it is nice to know that we are appreciated. All to often we hear "how come you took to long", "I can't walk, you have to carry me because I am sick with the flu" etc.

The Japanese woman brings back memories, been in that situation many times. So far in my 5 yrs in the service I have been sworn at, spat on, had blood spat in my eyes intentionally, punched, kicked, bitten, scratched and threatened with a knife. Three members currently still in our station have been threatened with guns and one in a neighbouring station has been shot, all for $23/hr!

The responses are great and keep the thread in view so that it gets exposure, please.

I have found the address for the minister for emergency services Mr Neil Roberts

Address
Level 3
Emergency Services Complex Cnr Kedron Park Road & Park Road Kedron QLD 4031
Postal Address
GPO Box 1425, Brisbane Qld 4001

Here is his email, Minister for Nudgee

nudgee@parliament.qld.gov.au <nudgee@parliament.qld.gov.au>

Let me know if the link doesn't work and please don't tell him I sent you or where you got your information from.

Thanks everyone
Old 17-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

I also work in a hospital. The hourly rate is appaling! I also have had similar dealings with knife threats, aggressive patients (kick,bite,spit etc) I work in ER, ICU areas and Theatres...I am on $20 per hour. Recently the junior admin staff have had a raise and now earn $23 per hour ( for handling paperwork) Most nurses are on $21 per hour!
It is obvious to the government that paperwork comes before patients!!!
Old 17-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
Hillbilly F Truck

I'm in!! Shocked by the pay and conditions, for something so vital. Have been reading about it in courier mail and GC bulletin as sometimes articles are run along with letters.
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Sounds just like what NSW police are going through at the moment.
Except I think they only got a 3% increase.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
I thought the hourly rate would have been much better....then I remembered the cool company car, no driving infringements, free drugs and lots of women. All of a sudden I found myself looking on seek.com for a job like yours ;)

Seriously though, how does that pay reflect that job? A reasonable PA gets more than that.

Cool company car = Mercedes Sprinter (please pimp my ride) way cool!
No driving infringements, only on code 1 drives and then it is within reason, if it is not within reason it is a court appearance, no choice of just a fine.
Free drugs, for everyone else and some tell all sorts of crap to get a hit (most need them though)
Lots of women, most 80+ years old
:
Old 17-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After being at the emergency ward on the weekend I know there is no way in hell I would be a paramedic for $23/hr. The crap you see in

That is an absolute joke, no wonder people are going elsewhere where they can work normal hours for more money and not deal with anywhere near the crap you guys have to deal with.

The kicker is that there is always money to give pay rises to politicians!

I honestly couldn't do it and I'm grateful there are people like you who can.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

WHy don't we start a petition and send it via email?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everytime I have a convo with gecko it irritates me that he is paid the same amount I am as a CSR (Barista / Console Operator) if I work night shift.
When I was detailing (privately) I was earning more than he does an hour, that is just ridiculous.

I know first hand how much strain it puts on ambo's and their relationships, life etc.

Glad there is so many that are seeing these men and women that do a fantastic job deserve more than the pathetic amount called their hourly wage.

I like the idea of a petition. If we all printed out one page (or more) for signatures with a base introduction letter (or then sent to one person for them to package up) and handed it to the powers that be maybe something would be done.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #22
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
WHy don't we start a petition and send it via email?

It is a good idea but petitions do not have the same effect as thousands of letters or emails. It does not have to be complex, just a short note explaining your feelings. Template letters are more effective than petitions but personal touches on a quick letter are the best.

Trust me, we are worth 10 minutes of effort, additionally, tell a paramedic that you did this and I can guarantee a smile and a thanks.

Having said that we will take any help we can get, it is all appreciated.
Old 17-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #23
Hillbilly F Truck

E-mail sent!!! He can expect it in writing too in coming days.
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

This is pretty bad... I thought you guys woulda been on 100 kay + a year. Doctors get paid shitloads, you guys have it harder then them at times...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #25
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The government does have a site where they have petitions online I think they get presented to parliament I will try to find it next week at work if I get time
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #26
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

Cool company car = Mercedes Sprinter (please pimp my ride) way cool!
My friend is a Paramedic in Vic. Don't know if this is common lingo in the job, but you could say performing a T.U.B.E is a perk of the job.

I've been told the Sprinter vans are referred to as Mr Whippy vans, I think they need to go back to the big American V8s as the Sprinter Vans fully loaded take a while to get up to speed.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #27
fmc351
let it burn

$23 an hour is appalling.

Emailed.

If I was to say, 'accidentally' send a message to channel 7's Sunrise program and a few others, would that be a problem? If maybe a few others did the same, maybe Sunrise would see headlines and ratings, and maybe cause some ruckus.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #28
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
$23 an hour is appalling.

Emailed.

If I was to say, 'accidentally' send a message to channel 7's Sunrise program and a few others, would that be a problem? If maybe a few others did the same, maybe Sunrise would see headlines and ratings, and maybe cause some ruckus.
Might be too much heat and cause too much interest where it all came from.
Old 17-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #29
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing I have noticed over the last few years is how a government that has been in power for too long, they start to forget the important things that the voters expect. Good emergency services. Mate I'll be sending in a letter to. As a cad operator I earn more with NO where near the responsibility you have. This is an friggin Joke. :

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #30
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

yep where do i sign ! i also work for queensland health as a AIN and a kitchen assistant i refuse to go to permament because of the rediculious pay amounts, I'am a kitchen assistant with qh i earn 22 dollars an hours casual rates and as the AIN i get paid 24 dollars casual rates, i have the idea with queensland health the more you do the less you get paid, and the less you do you get better respect you get, some higher end nurses some ger over 80 dollars a year for sitting on bums (paperwork), the ambo's are the one who saves the lives of people before the nurses and doctors step in ! QUEENSLAND HEALTH IS A JOKE AND A WASTE OF PEOPLE TIME, WE DERSERVE BETTER THEN 3.25, GET THAT MR
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post