Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #31
luke

i used to work at a pizza bar in paradise, got $4 / delivery, no hourly rate / petrol... that was really bad with a VH bombodore too... i'd make like $40 + $10 tips in a night... and i'd have to put about $20 in the tank. it really wasn't worth it.

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #32
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
i used to work at a pizza bar in paradise, got $4 / delivery, no hourly rate / petrol... that was really bad with a VH bombodore too... i'd make like $40 + $10 tips in a night... and i'd have to put about $20 in the tank. it really wasn't worth it.
Paradise Pizza bar? Top pizza there though! I walk over to pick it up.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #33
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Main reason, is not because they don't earn enough, but because it is nice and makes their night a whole lot better.
Yes this is true. If I get good service in a restaurant, the person is nice and chatty and helpful with a big smile, I will tip. If they are grumpy and the service is lousy, they can eat my shorts :P

I always tip pizza guys (not that I get pizza more than twice a year) because it is low-paid and they work hard for it. One time we were renting this house with a bad driveway... you could only drive in and reverse out in the same direction. if you tried to reverse out of it in the other direction you ended up in a ditch.

Pizza chick late one evening didn't hear me when I warned her of the driveway issue, and her car ended up in said ditch. I had to pull her out with our old XF! Poor thing was so upset, cos pizzas were going cold in the back seat while we were hooking it up etc.

Quote:
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 05:50 PM   #34
billyb35

Tipping is a courtesy thing my friend. If I've got the change and they have made my experience at that pub/resteraunt nicer, I'll do it.

Some hospitality workers are scum in this department. Bar stuff at expensive trendoid bars with staff with "attitude" will charge you 6.50 for spirits then have the hide to just keep the change and walk off.

I worked behind a bar for 2 years and people who knew that you were doing a good job (i.e. other bar staff) would give you a tip. If you made them a nice tail or whatever they'd just leave the change. I'd pay for parking ($6) and a packet of smokes and dinner out of my tips on a reasonable night.

As for Pizza guys, I don't get pizza delivered that much but will give them the change if I have it.
billyb35 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #35
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Pizza delivery it depends. Large franchises - seems like they earn a decent wage, are always late and seems silly tipping $5 for a $8 pizza, plus they're usually just kids. So dont really tip em.

A smaller, botique pizza joint - usually throw $5 their way. Probably not getting paid as much as the larger pizza places and probably dont do as many deliveries.

Of course, this goes out the window if i've had a few - usually tip them a small fortune when drunk.

Resteraunt with table service I'll always tip - 10 - 15% (5 - 10 bucks for a $50 meal). Same with room service at a hotel, slip em a fiver.
Old 19-09-2005, 06:36 PM   #36
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i tip depending on their attitude. if the waitress at a restuarant looks after us we makes sure of 10 or 20 bucks in her hand when we leave. same with taxis if the guy drives like an idiot i'll want my .05c change, if he's cool and chatty he'll generally get 5 bucks or so for himself. it feels good to have good service and tip approprietly.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #37
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

When I used to deliver pizzas, I rarely got a tip, but I was very apppreciative if I did. Unfortunatley, there were a few people in my town that always demanded their 5c change, even when it was pouring rain and I had dogs trying to bite my crotch.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #38
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Same with room service at a hotel, slip em a fiver.
holy crap, you tip at hotel room service? never ever.

When in the USA last year, I ordered some room service, $20 of food, then there was 15% delivery charge, and 20% gratuity on top of that! Then again, USA minimal wage is like $3 an hour or something so the mexican that delivered it probably needed the extra $7 to travel in the lift 10 flights up and knock on the door.

I've seen similar hotels do this in Sydney and Melbourne and i'll never tip at a hotel ever again.

I'll tip at a restaurant or cafe that I frequent or friends with, and it is usually 10%
Old 19-09-2005, 07:43 PM   #39
Mrs347stroker
Banned

We got pizza last night and we offered the guy to sit down and have a beer with us (of course he refused)......... is that a tip?
Mrs347stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 09:16 PM   #40
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I can't remember the last time I took change from a cab driver unless he was being a bloody idiot while driving.

Same with pizza delivery drivers. I used to do it for a year or so, and I know what a crappy job it can be. A lot of the people who don't tip delievery drivers have probably never done it themselves and don't know what it is like to get even a $2 tip when you have been busting your balls for under $10 an hour. I remember there was a bloke that would order every friday night and he would tip $5 everytime. Of course after a while he got free garlic bread, drinks etc because he was a good customer. The non tippers who demanded their 5c usually got week old prawns on their pizza. It works both ways.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 05:47 AM   #41
andrew_smith_84
my one day build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs347stroker
We got pizza last night and we offered the guy to sit down and have a beer with us (of course he refused)......... is that a tip?
one of our drivers got offered the same thing, the dumb sob stayed for about 20mins, meanwhile there was 2 more dels waiting for him, the manager went nuts at him.

i would have to say big_waity's story is also my story, i del in the order they come out.

4.9 EF Futura - from what i heard, a smaller, botique pizza joint usally pay their guys under the table so they usally get a bit more.

And sorry i should have said from the begining restaurants and taxis, just didn't think about those guys
andrew_smith_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:05 AM   #42
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
When in the USA last year, I ordered some room service, $20 of food, then there was 15% delivery charge, and 20% gratuity on top of that! Then again, USA minimal wage is like $3 an hour or something so the mexican that delivered it probably needed the extra $7 to travel in the lift 10 flights up and knock on the door.
Said room service dude was probably very grateful you weren't Russel Crowe.

Quote:
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #43
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

i used to del pizza ,i always got tipped ,id make an average of $15 a night from tips most i got in one night was $42 ,and i got payed $12 an hr and got to eat and drink anything i liked ,got to take home 2 large pizza if i wanted them
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #44
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
holy crap, you tip at hotel room service? never ever.
Yeah but im charging the room and food to work... so $5 for a meal from 5 start kitchen not too shabby ;)

I guess it's not like the states where gratuity is mandatory on service....
Old 20-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #45
MRJUCY
Fordless

I'll always tip a Pizza Boy they earn bugger all, go out in all sorts of crappy weather, kill there cars, risk being robbed & abused by customers all night they deserve it, it's not like a waitress who has to carry a latte 10 foot.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #46
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

I dont tip ! I dont get tipped . Why should I tip others? Never had a pizza delivered on time . Infact , dominoes last week , took 3 hours to deliver a pizza , which the begrudgingly delivered free in the end ! Got inside we sat down to the wrong Pizza's ! So I ended up making them deliver another lot of pizza's for nothing the next night ! It still took 110 minutes ! Why the hell would I tip for service like that ?

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #47
gozza

i can't afford to get my pizzas delivered
do i get a tip for picking them up?
i don't think so
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #48
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

i usually let them keep the change and offer them a drink since im usually ordering pizzas if we are having a few drinks with mates (so now you get drunk pizza boys!)
Old 20-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #49
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
I'll always tip a Pizza Boy they earn bugger all, go out in all sorts of crappy weather, kill there cars, risk being robbed & abused by customers all night they deserve it, it's not like a waitress who has to carry a latte 10 foot.
No one is forcing them to do that...they choose to take on the job knowing all the things that may happen...
Old 20-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #50
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
No one is forcing them to do that...they choose to take on the job knowing all the things that may happen...
For some of them its the only job they can get. the difference is them on the dole or them trying to earn some money.... I know what I'd rather support them doing.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #51
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont expect to be tipped therefore I dont tip others.

In regards to pizza delivery. Well I never get it delivered as its not worth the extra charge.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #52
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I dont expect to be tipped therefore I dont tip others.

In regards to pizza delivery. Well I never get it delivered as its not worth the extra charge.

Why would you get tipped? It involves acts of commerce.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:37 PM   #53
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work and dont expect to be tipped for doing my job why the hell should they be. That's what they are employed to do and get paid to do it by the employer. The employer should be passing the buck from delivery charges down to the delivery boys/girls.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #54
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I work and dont expect to be tipped for doing my job
I didnt think being a post whore paid so well.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #55
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
...the difference is them on the dole or them trying to earn some money.... I know what I'd rather support them doing.

Too right!
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 12:27 AM   #56
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

We never order home delivered pizzas, it's cheaper and healthier to make your own. :P

However if I go somewhere and I get excellent service, I will give the person a tip. Today for example I went to the hairdressers, she spent over an hour on my hair and a half hour on Kyle's. She charged $50- for an 1.5 hours work, whereas with any other hairdresser I could have ended paying anywhere over $100-. So she got a tip.

Working as a nurse, we didn't get tips per se, however the thank you cards and chockies were always a bonus if you could beat the other nurses to them. :