Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #181
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Still $1.68 for 98 here in Canberra, thieves i tell ya
Ouch. Paid 1.40 for ultimate on Sunday. Still cheap....might go fill up again, lol.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #182
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Goulburn has one station at $1:26.9 for ulp. Rest of Goulburn is $1:39.9 for ulp.

Not bad, not bad at all.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #183
Trump
bitch lasagne

Just filled up with BP 98, $1.36/L
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #184
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

$1.42 for 95 here this morning... slowly slowly dropping considering I paid $1.60 for 95 about three weeks ago.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #185
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
Goulburn has one station at $1:26.9 for ulp. Rest of Goulburn is $1:39.9 for ulp.

Not bad, not bad at all.
Geez, with a 42c difference from Canberra it would almost make it worthwhile going there to fill up
Old 10-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #186
Golioth
Cruzin in FNQ

Yesterday $1.63.9 for BP 98, have been paying around this $ for the last 2 years. Guarantee it will not go below $1.60 as we get shafted for everything in FNQ and they always blame the transport costs
ACCC an that 'Fuel Watch' are a joke!
Golioth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #187
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Filled up the wife's smartcar this morning with 98 @ 138.9 -It was half empty and she took $20 to fill. Matilda at Dutton Park in Brisbane.

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.

Last edited by brismike; 10-12-2014 at 04:33 PM.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #188
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Canberra are a bunch of thieves. Still ~1.48 for standard E10... Canberra is a bloody joke, it's cheaper to buy fuel in regional towns any which side of Canberra!
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #189
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyxr6t04 View Post
Canberra are a bunch of thieves. Still ~1.48 for standard E10... Canberra is a bloody joke, it's cheaper to buy fuel in regional towns any which side of Canberra!
Yes, yes it is. The only fuel I buy in Canberra now is if I'm borderline to make it back to Goulburn I'll throw $10 in as I leave, then fill up at home.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #190
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Just filled up with BP 98, $1.36/L
Me too. Today after work, was surprised to see it this "cheap".
I ain't complaining, hope it stays that way for a while.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #191
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Far out, wish 98 was 1.36 in Canberra. I don't usually whinge about fuel prices, but that's nearly a $20 difference to put 60L into the GT. After 2 fills, i'd have saved enough for another box of beer lol.

It's corrupt, that's what it is. How the hell can 98 be cheaper (by over 12c) in other states over E10 in Canberra.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #192
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Far out, wish 98 was 1.36 in Canberra. I don't usually whinge about fuel prices, but that's nearly a $20 difference to put 60L into the GT. After 2 fills, i'd have saved enough for another box of beer lol.

It's corrupt, that's what it is. How the hell can 98 be cheaper (by over 12c) in other states over E10 in Canberra.
BP in Fyshwick, filled up with 98 this morning 1.67. God damn i am so annoyed at this, this stuff doesn't usually get on my nerves but when regional Australia is 20cents cheaper per litre there is something wrong.

Is there anything we can do???

My 4x4 gets 33l/100km, 20cents a litre is a massive saving each week, around $45 for the km's i do
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #193
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
BP in Fyshwick, filled up with 98 this morning 1.67. God damn i am so annoyed at this, this stuff doesn't usually get on my nerves but when regional Australia is 20cents cheaper per litre there is something wrong.

My 4x4 gets 33l/100km, 20cents a litre is a massive saving each week, around $45 for the km's i do
O_o

I imagine the fuel supply line running from your fuel tank is the diameter of the hose on the bowser.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #194
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I feel ya mate. It's a joke!

My GT did 22L for 45km of driving at the FPV track day haha... nearly 50L/100km, bloody glad it's not so bad around Canberra!

Does Canberra pay more tax on fuel than the rest of Aus? Serious question? I just don't know why the price is so much higher, a few cents here or there, fair enough, but when the rest of mainstream Australia can get 98 for 12c cheaper than we get E10, there is something wrong!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #195
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And there is a petrol god looking over Canberra!!

Costco doing Unleaded for 129c, and 98 for 139c. Hopefully this drives down the price of the other stations!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...10-124o39.html
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #196
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And there is a petrol god looking over Canberra!!

Costco doing Unleaded for 129c, and 98 for 139c. Hopefully this drives down the price of the other stations!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...10-124o39.html
Saw that. Still cheaper in Goulburn. The station I mentioned earlier is now $1:25.9 for ulp and $1:19.9 for e10
Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #197
MattstaF6

From what I understand oil is half the price per barrel. So why has it only gone down by so little?
MattstaF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #198
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattstaF6 View Post
From what I understand oil is half the price per barrel. So why has it only gone down by so little?
Go ask your local politician, its called greed i believe!

Up here in Tamworth NSW it dropped by a lousy 2 cents as of yesterday, maybe for xmas it'll drop by another cent if were lucky....

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #199
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Go ask your local politician, its called greed i believe!

Up here in Tamworth NSW it dropped by a lousy 2 cents as of yesterday, maybe for xmas it'll drop by another cent if were lucky....

cheers, Maka
Huge savings, time to splash out Maka
3 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #200
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have not looked at diesel, how is diesel fairing in all of this ??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #201
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golioth View Post
Yesterday $1.63.9 for BP 98, have been paying around this $ for the last 2 years. Guarantee it will not go below $1.60 as we get shafted for everything in FNQ and they always blame the transport costs
ACCC an that 'Fuel Watch' are a joke!
If you want to get shafted on fuel try living in Alice Springs...!!!!!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #202
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crude oil per barrel in the U.S has today dropped to below USD$60. They reckon the u.s is trying to compete with Russia and drive them into the ground with cheaper oil than Russia?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #203
zilo
BANNED

Gotta laugh at post #1 in this thread from 6 years ago...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #204
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN-LPG View Post
Crude oil per barrel in the U.S has today dropped to below USD$60. They reckon the u.s is trying to compete with Russia and drive them into the ground with cheaper oil than Russia?
I actually believe it is OPEC (Saudi Arabia etc) that is behind it all. The price is dropping because OPEC is refusing to cut production which is causing a glut in supply. They are the ones trying to make the US and Canadian production of oil from Shale Sand deposits uneconomic. They also don't want the Iranians to take any of their market share. So they drop the price and keep the pumps flowing full steam ahead. This makes it very hard for the other producers.

A side effect that the USA don't mind though is that it is making things very difficult for the Russians to make any money from the sale of their oil, which is mainly sold to Europe. Which is another reason why the Rouble has dropped in value against the US dollar by 30% recently.

So what we now have is 3 main producers, US/Canada, Russia & OPEC all trying to shaft each other. Not sure who will blink first but when one of them does the ***** will hit the fan.

Its all about supply and demand .... Enjoy it while the prices are low, there is plenty of supply, and the demand is low.

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #205
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattstaF6 View Post
Because, whilst oil is a main component of petrol, its cost is only a certain percentage that goes into making up the price of petrol. Petrol stations arent cheap these days. They invest $1 million in the place, and put it on a $1 million block of land. Just imagine a service station selling 200,000 litres a week, which is open 24 hours a day. Lets say they make profit from food etc, and just want to pay back bank on the $2 million invested. As a minimum, they need to hire 5 people to run it 168 hours a week. Thats nearly $3000 a week back to bank, and $5000 in wages ( 4 cents a litre just to move the petrol 7 or 8 metres from their tank to your tank). Then you have the 4 cents or so it costs to move it from refinery to the petrol station. A few cents in the shipping, a few cents getting it thru the refinery.GST, Fuel excise etc etc and your looking at 60 plus cents per litre that aint reliant on the oil price, and this 60 cents keeps going up each year. Throw in the 50 plus cents in oz dollars it cost in oil, and the pricing comes close to what they are selling at now. For the record, woolworths petrol out kilburn way (cant remember the exact suburb) had it for $1.18 today (minus 4 cents discount) takes it down to $1.14. Costco had it for $1.15 a litre.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #206
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What ****** me off with these cycles (which we don't get anyhow because of where we live) is that diesel is never discounted!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #207
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After todays drop under USD$60 per barrell its looking like petrol is going to be even cheaper right smack band just before Xmas......Thank god...Bring it on OPEC!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2014, 04:30 AM   #208
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Gotta laugh at post #1 in this thread from 6 years ago...
That is why I resurrected it.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #209
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
Because, whilst oil is a main component of petrol, its cost is only a certain percentage that goes into making up the price of petrol. Petrol stations arent cheap these days. They invest $1 million in the place, and put it on a $1 million block of land. Just imagine a service station selling 200,000 litres a week, which is open 24 hours a day. Lets say they make profit from food etc, and just want to pay back bank on the $2 million invested. As a minimum, they need to hire 5 people to run it 168 hours a week. Thats nearly $3000 a week back to bank, and $5000 in wages ( 4 cents a litre just to move the petrol 7 or 8 metres from their tank to your tank). Then you have the 4 cents or so it costs to move it from refinery to the petrol station. A few cents in the shipping, a few cents getting it thru the refinery.GST, Fuel excise etc etc and your looking at 60 plus cents per litre that aint reliant on the oil price, and this 60 cents keeps going up each year. Throw in the 50 plus cents in oz dollars it cost in oil, and the pricing comes close to what they are selling at now. For the record, woolworths petrol out kilburn way (cant remember the exact suburb) had it for $1.18 today (minus 4 cents discount) takes it down to $1.14. Costco had it for $1.15 a litre.
Bob, that's all true but imo punters just want uniform price changes across their respective states, territories & the country, is that too much to ask of head office? What is the real reason the pricing is so fragmented & staggered? Oh yeah up here we had this situation -

http://www.northerndailyleader.com.a...-for-15c-less/

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #210
wozman

We paid 1.19 in Drysdale Vic came home to cobram Vic they won't 1.40 litre ripoff
wozman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post