Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 
Default Handmade Tools

Lots of us on here have served an apprenticeship of one sort of another, so thought I would start a thread about some of the handmade tools we have made over the years.

Here is a sample of some of the tools I made as a first year apprentice airframe fitter, back in 1962

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2022, 07:12 PM   #2
gutza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Handmade Tools

WOW. Very impressive.
gutza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-10-2022, 07:29 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you use them regular they have stood the test of time very well.
put some commercial products to shame.
Old 18-10-2022, 07:29 PM   #4
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I present to you, my (modified by hand) universal screwdriver, for when you don't have the right tool, but need something that does jam into most weird screws:

Made around 1982.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2022, 11:53 PM   #5
AU-Hog

Tools made when I was an apprentice disappeared many years ago.
This stuff was made a couple of years ago from scrap metal.
Img_7345.jpg

Img_7348.jpg
Old 19-10-2022, 11:21 AM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFIIGhiaZF6 View Post
Lots of us on here have served an apprenticeship of one sort of another, so thought I would start a thread about some of the handmade tools we have made over the years.

Here is a sample of some of the tools I made as a first year apprentice airframe fitter, back in 1962

That's fantastic.

I did my apprenticeship in telecommunications so never got a chance to learn a trade like that. In all seriousness I think my life would have been happier working as a fitter and turner that the job I landed in.

I need to convince Charliewool to move to SEQ and take me under his wing to learn some things.

I just hack away in my shed, but made a bead rolling machine a few years ago as a project. I had an Eastwood bead roller and it wasn't very good. So repurposed the dies and spur gears and built the rest from scratch. A variable speed reversible bead roller. A bit of fabrication, a bit of machining, a bit of sheet metal work. Was a fun project.

Old 21-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #7
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-Hog View Post
Tools made when I was an apprentice disappeared many years ago.
This stuff was made a couple of years ago from scrap metal.
Attachment 105904

Attachment 105905
Nice work

My very first tool box is under the house and has all my tools from my apprentice days in it, I made a clamp like yours, a small "G" clamp, a die stock, a trappaning tool and a few other test items.

[QUOTE=cs123;6752327]That's fantastic.

I did my apprenticeship in telecommunications so never got a chance to learn a trade like that. In all seriousness I think my life would have been happier working as a fitter and turner that the job I landed in.

I need to convince Charliewool to move to SEQ and take me under his wing to learn some things.

I just hack away in my shed, but made a bead rolling machine a few years ago as a project. I had an Eastwood bead roller and it wasn't very good. So repurposed the dies and spur gears and built the rest from scratch. A variable speed reversible bead roller. A bit of fabrication, a bit of machining, a bit of sheet metal work. Was a fun project. QUOTE]

Excellent job you did too, it would have been a privilege to have worked alongside you as a fellow Fitter and Turner

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.

Last edited by BFIIGhiaZF6; 21-10-2022 at 11:22 AM.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: