Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New P-plate laws

I just heard something about it blaring from the tv. Didn't get exactly what they said. If anyone knows what was said, or what is happening. All I heard was something about 4 years. I am guessing they are extending the period from 3 to 4.

Let us know, be interesting to see what they installed for the new generation If I can find a link to an article, I will add it on.

EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

but if thats the case, it won't be implemented until mid next year?? so i will be safe eh? i'm about to go for my P's .. i better not be on it for 4 years :(

this for vic yeah??
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
but if thats the case, it won't be implemented until mid next year?? so i will be safe eh? i'm about to go for my P's .. i better not be on it for 4 years :(

this for vic yeah??
Does it really matter if you are on your P's for an extra year? It doesn't really make a difference.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

to me it does .,.. 1 year less hasles of getting pulled over for a canary... don't see many full licensed drivers getting a canary
Old 22-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just heard on the radio, they havind what they call P1 and P2. P1 is for a year, at which at the end of the year you have to prove that you are worthy of moving onto P2, which will go for three years.

All it mainly means is that you have to wait an extra year before you can drink drive legally. But I wonder if it will actually smarten up younger drivers?
Old 22-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
to me it does .,.. 1 year less hasles of getting pulled over for a canary... don't see many full licensed drivers getting a canary
That's quite paranoid. All sorts of drivers get canaries.

As for the laws, I am at a loss as to how they will do anything except create an industry for different coloured P Plates. Yet again, people are confusing activity with productivity. I am yet to see how wearing a plate of any sort will save a life... unless it's a ceramic plate in a ballistic vest.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

minimum 1yr on l's... and more strict on powerful cars... probably won't be able to put in an exhaust or extrators lol

i wonder when all this will be in action .. hopefully not anytime in this year eh
Old 22-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
As for the laws, I am at a loss as to how they will do anything except create an industry for different coloured P Plates. Yet again, people are confusing activity with productivity. I am yet to see how wearing a plate of any sort will save a life... unless it's a ceramic plate in a ballistic vest.
Exactly, driver training for new P-Platers would be FAR more effective.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
your are making all these assumptions, before you even have your licence and experienced it for yourself?

one more year isnt going to make much difference
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yes it will to me... i am really not interested in goin for a second comp test and a drive....

an yes i have 'experienced' it by myself... makes you a better driver knowning full well you aren't being watched...

L's Comp Test (minimum of 1 year on L's ...)
P1 Comp & Drive Test (1 year)
P2 Comp & Drive Test (3 years)
dodgy dodgy dodgy oi oi oi
pfft hell with that,

only law we're not missing is a curfew, can't drive before 9:30am(until kids at schools) and can't drive any later then 2:30pm as kids come home from school
Old 22-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #11
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I'm so glad I got my P's before this crap rule came in
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #12
Kryton

Quote:

L's Comp Test (minimum of 1 year on L's ...)
P1 Comp & Drive Test (1 year)
P2 Comp & Drive Test (3 years)
dodgy dodgy dodgy oi oi oi
pfft hell with that,
so making sure drivers are competent behind the wheel is a bad thing in your books is it? its been proven over the years that simply giving out licenses to anybody that can pass a test once doesnt mean they should be on the road.
so you have to be on P's for an extra year. big deal. i cant remember the last time i got pulled up and got a canary either on my L's, P's or my full license....thats right, because i HAVENT. your driving style and the appearance of your car usually gets you pulled over more times than not. dont go cut 100 laps a day and hang out with tools then you shouldnt have a problem.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

more laws on driving... these laws are stupid, it won't make a difference.. , but making you go for 2 licence tests is usless and obviously everyone is going to pass ... how about they bring in defence driving... and you have to complete xx amount of courses before you go for your practical driving..... atleast you'll be more prepared as you have way more chance of not losing control if you get the car sliding by accident... something they don't teach in the practical driving....

when you full licensed drivers get a 0 BAC law... then you'll start crying... but it won't happen because the stooges who make these laws are on their full...
Old 22-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #14
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Quote:
more laws on driving... these laws are stupid, it won't make a difference.. , but making you go for 2 licence tests is usless and obviously everyone is going to pass ... how about they bring in defence driving... and you have to complete xx amount of courses before you go for your practical driving..... atleast you'll be more prepared as you have way more chance of not losing control if you get the car sliding by accident... something they don't teach in the practical driving....

when you full licensed drivers get a 0 BAC law... then you'll start crying... but it won't happen because the stooges who make these laws are on their full...

And if everyone is going to pass well why not? I'd probably fail my licensing test again, just cos im used to doing things my way, driving with an arm on the window sill and all those other nasty habits they ping you for

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even though i got off my ps a year ago and i s 2 years of L's with about 500 hrs most people would think that these rules are

but if u have to pass an exam each year and prove your capable well i say good im sick of seeing people who have Ls for six months go to ps and cant drive for crap, it sikens me how come people can get a liscence so easy these days
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #16
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEL
Does it really matter if you are on your P's for an extra year? It doesn't really make a difference.
wtf...getting your opens a year early is a big difference

would it matter if you only had 1 testicle?
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
wtf...getting your opens a year early is a big difference

would it matter if you only had 1 testicle?
1 year wont hurt i got canaired for once cos i had a bald tire hell i drove the rpint on my ps and thats low as and i never got pulled over in that i depends on attitude and how accessorised ur car is
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #18
gozza

im just talking points and having 1 drink wise

ive been pulled over 3 times in a month with no brake lights AT NIGHT and the coppers didn't pick them up...im not wrorried bout canaries.....id like to have 12 points and be able to drive after having 1 drink

ps my lights are fixed
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #19
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing as has been said, you will have to wait an extra year to be able to legally drink drive, and have upto 12 demerit points.

If they want a good system, why don't they do something about the computer test. Anyone can pass it so easily. It doesn't test any skills in my perception.

I believe I should not have been allowed to get my license when I did. I still had a bit of growing up to do. I am close to turning 21, and I still don't think I am the best driver, but compared to when I initially started, I have improved so much.

The system of getting onto your p's needs to ne assessed as it is a joke in my point of view.
Old 22-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #20
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am Very P*ssed off, Ive got a V8 and im allowed to drive it under the rules ATM its not a high powered vechicle and they are bringing in the Law that No V8s! This means ill have 2 cars by the time im 18!!!!!!!!!!

THE Daily
1994 Ford Falcon ED XR6 Manual
Daniel351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #21
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure you can still drive a v8 as long as it isn't over 125kw per 1000kg.
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #22
XW Boy
Being built not bought.

Yes I heard these stories but no dates, if someone here actually KNOWS the laws please post them up. as this is all just hearsay, from what I got they said that you must have at least 120 hours on L plates, and a two stage P plate system over 4 years, like NSW, but I want to no is when it comes in and hopefully it just effects the people who get there licence after the laws not before and still been on p plates.

Ohhh and please I pray that V8’s are still allowed
Old 22-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #23
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive just seen on SBS Or ABC that its starting at the Start of 2007 and finishes in 2008??? is there anyone else that can confirm this?

THE Daily
Old 22-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #24
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel351
Ive just seen on SBS Or ABC that its starting at the Start of 2007 and finishes in 2008??? is there anyone else that can confirm this?
What do you mean by finishing in 2008? Do you mean that it is going to be a trial run?
Old 22-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #25
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems to look that way........

THE Daily
Old 22-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #26
Damo
Banned

P plates are sik. Who cares about rules.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #27
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Let me tell you.

Being a P-plater is a killer.

You will always get way more attention than without Ps.

The 5 points per year makes it all too easy to loose your licence.

Then theres the 3 points for not displaying Ps. Not hard to put them on and leave them on right? Well last year they blew off my car and not 200meters away was a police roadblock.

Time to "reside" interstate i think...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #28
Kryton

if you need 5 points a year you shouldnt be driving a car. plain and simple. maybe its time people stood up and took responsibilty for what they do.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #29
XR666T

I think more driver training would have been a better idea. Also it's a bit stupid that you can drive a 182kw I6 but not a lower powered V8, they should keep the power/weight rule. But then again even that has loopholes.

I just hope they don't extend the the duration for existing P-platers!

Eg. - As it stands I'm off my P's in November '07... they better not make me stay on them for an extra year! :jab:
XR666T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #30
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

nah this time next year the new 'law's will come in affect and p1 and p2... also 1 year on L's ....

this yr i be on my p's anyway... so it won't affect me, it would be highly unlikely existing P platers be asked to take another test... only the new drivers from june/july next year will have to go through the 1yr on l's and p1 and p2 bulldust