Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
parker

Default Authentic odo readings

Hey guys, I've been looking at maybe buying another AU. One I looked at I am a little suspicious of the odometer reading.

Are the k's recorded in the cluster?
Can someone just swap to a cluster with fewer k's and it be 'fine', or is there some security which would stop them doing that?

parker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah, my mates cluster broke and just froze up, he never fixed it but when he went to sell it he put in a new lcd pannel and it went to the corect k's.

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I thought the AU1's kept the odo in the cluster and AU2/3 has it in the ECU....

I saw an ex-gov fleet AU3 at the auctions the other day - 15,000k's - couldn't believe it...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

you can just swap the whole cluster over... I have a few cabs where something has gone amiss inside the cluster and just got another from the wreckers

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
parker

Sorry, can anyone confirm any difference between series 1 and series 2/3?
You can just swap in a cluster from a lower k's wreck and the car its put into will just start to use it at the wreck's odo level, effectively winding back the clock?

Actually, maybe better to send me a pm instead if you know the answer... dont really want to be telling people how to go about winding theirs back hey!

Last edited by parker; 08-06-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker
Hey guys, I've been looking at maybe buying another AU. One I looked at I am a little suspicious of the odometer reading.

Are the k's recorded in the cluster?
Can someone just swap to a cluster with fewer k's and it be 'fine', or is there some security which would stop them doing that?

The km's are held inside the cluster in series II. Not sure about series I or III. Cluster swap is very easy.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The kms are kept within the eprom within the cluster.

Swapping over cluster's will result in a different odo reading (unless it has done the exact some kms yours has).
Old 08-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
parker

OK, thanks! I reckon this one's dodgy for sure if it's that easy. They didnt seem like they'd be capable of anything more complicated, but a straight swap I think is within their skills.