Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Jumper Leads / Booster Cables

I got caught with a flat battery recently.
There were plenty of people willing to assist, but no one had leads. Had to wait an hour for roadside assistance.
So now have decided to buy a set and keep in my car.
What Amp size is a good general purpose set?
Cheers.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Jumper Leads / Booster Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
There were plenty of people willing to assist, but no one had leads. Had to wait an hour for roadside assistance.
Cheers.
400 to 600 amp ones should be enough.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

You could also consider getting yourself a mini Lithium powered Jumper Starter that fits in the glove box like the one I have, for not much more dollars;

Smart Jump Starter - Fits in Glovebox - Never be left stranded
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...-Amp-3m/365709
Old 21-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

get the heaviest set you can find/afford
Old 21-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Thumbs up Re: Jumper Leads / Booster Cables

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...Monitor/540712
Get one of these!!
I have one and it's brilliant, it will tell you your battery is kaput way before you'll ever need jumper leads.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
Get one of these!!
I have one and it's brilliant, it will tell you your battery is kaput way before you'll ever need jumper leads.
Looks good... Here's the demo video on that monitor;

2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
Get one of these!!
Ok if you are old school and check your oil & coolant daily but most people these days would not know how to lift a bonnet let alone check anything under it.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #9
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Ok if you are old school and check your oil & coolant daily but most people these days would not know how to lift a bonnet let alone check anything under it.
Once car makers started putting stupid plastic covers on their engines and hiding everything, so owners lifted the bonnet and thought; "I can't see anything...arh.. Too complicated, I'll leave it to the prosfessionals!" ... Spelt the end of the DIY car fixing / servicing era.

That's why I like the FG - FG X i6 engine bays.... No silly engine covers, a modern car but still looks "old school" and simple to work on and get to everything.
5 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Once car makers started putting stupid plastic covers on their engines and hiding everything, so owners lifted the bonnet and thought; "I can't see anything...arh.. Too complicated, I'll leave it to the prosfessionals!" ... Spelt the end of the DIY car fixing / servicing era.

That's why I like the FG - FG X i6 engine bays.... No silly engine covers, a modern car but still looks "old school" and simple to work on and get to everything.
So that's why they all do that....
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #11
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
So that's why they all do that....
There's more money for a dealer in servicing / repairing a new car over 5 years than when the dealer first sells it to you.
Old 21-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #12
yearby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Twice I have tried to start peoples vehicles with their own jumper leads and the engine would not even crank, so then had to get out my own heavy jumper leads and the vehicle started. One guy had just walked 2 miles and purchased a set to start his vehicle and they where total rubbish. SO DON"T BUY THAT CHINISE RUBBISH.
yearby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearby View Post
Twice I have tried to start peoples vehicles with their own jumper leads and the engine would not even crank, so then had to get out my own heavy jumper leads and the vehicle started. One guy had just walked 2 miles and purchased a set to start his vehicle and they where total rubbish. SO DON"T BUY THAT CHINISE RUBBISH.
I prefer to carry the mini Jump starter to start someone else's car, rather than using jumper cables.... Because there is always the possibility of damaging your own car's electrical and electronic systems being a good Samaritan hooking both cars together.
Old 21-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearby View Post
Regardless of what type of jumper leads used I usually connect the two batteries and wait about 10 minutes before I attempt to start the vehicle as this ensures the flat battery to get a bit of charge in it then start up with no issues.
Works every time.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Having trucks, I keep a couple of sets of long, heavy jumper leads one at home and one with whatever truck I'm using at the time. You can not go wrong with oversized leads.
Several times I've jump started cars with useless undersized cheap sets which tend to fry.
A volt / amp meter is useful as well but I spose they're a rare thing in cars these days.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #16
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
It has an App, the tech hungry Millennials should lap this sort of gadget up shouldn't they?
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #17
Electrolyte Burns

You are much better off just making your own. Buy some heavy 35 or 50mm battery cable, 4 lugs to suit and a set of heavy alligator clips.
Won't be cheap mind but will last a lifetime.
Electrolyte Burns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #18
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte Burns View Post
You are much better off just making your own. Buy some heavy 35 or 50mm battery cable, 4 lugs to suit and a set of heavy alligator clips.
Won't be cheap mind but will last a lifetime.
I second that.You can get 70mm cable for maybe $10-12 per metre.6 metres of cable and $30 for some heavy duty clamps and away you go,for not much more than 100 bucks,and they will start anything and last forever.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #19
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
You could also consider getting yourself a mini Lithium powered Jumper Starter that fits in the glove box like the one I have, for not much more dollars;

Smart Jump Starter - Fits in Glovebox - Never be left stranded

Where does one get these from? please....
Old 21-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #20
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Where does one get these from? please....
Different brands but do the same thing... They are available at Supercheap, Autobarn and other Auto stores.

Alternatively, if you want the one I have, here is their website where you can contact them for their resellers in your area;

http://smartjumpstarters.com.au
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #21
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Cheers.
Just as well it wasn't in some paddock out the back of whoop whoop ratting parts of an old car, we'd still be there. .
Old 22-12-2017, 12:51 AM   #22
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for the lithium jumper pack. They are unbelievable for the size.

I bought an eBay one for something like $125 from a seller I'd bought a fair bit off before (who has a bricks & mortar business in a regional town) so I figured it would be a decent product). It's been great.

I've used it to jump carby V8 Commodores that have been parked for a while, and more recently, a diesel Colorado when it's battery crapped itself overnight when we were on a trip. The stuffed battery couldn't even get the starter solenoid to click. Left the jumper pack connected for about a minute (the little leads got real hot) and it gave enough to slowly crank it over & start up the diesel.

I keep it in the boot of the FG. The one I have came with a 240V charger, 12V charger, and an "octopus" of leads to charge a myriad of i-devices. It's all in a neat zipper bag. I've jumped 3 different cars at work - 2 were from leaving lights on (not all modern cars cut them or give warnings), and the 3rd was a stuffed battery - got them going enough to get to supercheap to get a new battery bought & fitted.

Don't believe the amp-hour ratings on them. Some claim things like 40,000mAh, but there's 5 8000mAh cells connected in series..... And don't let what you may consider a low capacity put you off - those lithium cells can dump their voltage in a short time - giving the dead battery enough juice to kick over. You won't start a car with one if there's no battery in it - they are used to "top up" the car's battery enough to get it started again.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #23
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Have you considered in buying a new battery!!! People Ike you keep me in a job thanks mate
Old 22-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #24
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgot to mention too - having a jumper pack means you don't need to find a willing volunteer to get a jump start from either.

It's harder & harder to find a volunteer as many people fear frying the ECU and other nasty things they've heard stories about. It's extremely rare that it can happen, and usually caused by incorrect polarity, or not knowing where to place the leads - or letting it run with no battery connected, so the alt voltage spirals out of control.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #25
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Forgot to mention too - having a jumper pack means you don't need to find a willing volunteer to get a jump start from either.

It's harder & harder to find a volunteer as many people fear frying the ECU and other nasty things they've heard stories about. It's extremely rare that it can happen, and usually caused by incorrect polarity, or not knowing where to place the leads - or letting it run with no battery connected, so the alt voltage spirals out of control.
Good points!

It's probably worth mentioning here the correct procedure for using jumper cables.

Surprisingly, most people who think they know how to jump-start another car, get it wrong in STEP 4;