Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
BigBlue

Default ANZAC Day

Living as we do in a 24/7 world it sometimes happens that events slip past like recalling today is ANZAC day.

Lest we forget.

Peter.

BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ANZAC Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
Living as we do in a 24/7 world it sometimes happens that events slip past like recalling today is ANZAC day.

Lest we forget.

Peter.
I don't think anyone has forgotten it's Anzac Day
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I get where the OP is coming from though.

Lest we forget.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lest we forget. and to everyone who believes that today is Easter Monday.... your wrong the 25th of april will ALWAYS be known as ANZAC day to all australians
Old 25-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Lest we forget.

Glad we have our priorities straight and made an Easter Tuesday.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
lest we forget. and to everyone who believes that today is Easter Monday.... your wrong the 25th of april will ALWAYS be known as ANZAC day to all australians
it is both easter monday and anzac day - it is only because we are a nation of disrespecting slackers that tomorrow might be considered anzac day or easter tuesday
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Mk II

I am currently working in PNG and had the opportunity to commemorate the ANZAC's this morning at the dawn service. May I say, it is incredibly humbling to pay tribute to those who fought for us while standing next to 4000 fallen soldiers!! Was an amazing experience I will never forget.
Mk II is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lest we forget and a big thankyou to all our current serving men and women.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

I marched today in Wagga Wagga for the Army. Was amazing when we marched down the centre street and thousands where cheering.
Dawn service on base was great too
Lest We Forget
Old 25-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went to Dawn service as well.

Today is ANZAC Day, tomorrow is the ANZAC day holiday
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went to the dawn service, saw the march and had a look at the day service as well. A lot more people attend the dawn service than the day one, but there are more people who just watch the street march.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thankfully ANZAC Day 2011 in NZ wasn't as tragic as last years...

Lest We Forget

MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Lest We Forget.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
I marched today in Wagga Wagga for the Army. Was amazing when we marched down the centre street and thousands where cheering.
Dawn service on base was great too
Lest We Forget
Marching on ANZAC day in uniform is very special. I did it in Rockhampton many years ago and later in Melbourne. I also did a special parade at the Melbourne Cenotaph for the 75th Anniversary of the Charge at Beersheba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Beersheba_(1917)

Well done mate, you are a true patriot.

Steve

PS, how is life at Kapooka?
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing which always gets on my nerves a bit, is the sometimes stupid and annoying things i see at ANZAC day.

Now im not the type who shoves the flag and the word "patritisiom" in peoples faces, but certain respect must be shown at any kind of memorial.

Today for example, young couple in front of us, the male was constantly fondling and sticking the tongue in during the outdoor mass. Seriously get a room....

The other was the driver of a hire bus who left the engine running to keep the aircon running throughout the whole ceremony. This wouldve made it very difficult to for the soldiers who were resting on arms at the cenotaph to hear any orders given. Not to mention during the 2minutes silence all you could hear was the bus!

Next is the dress sence of the younger female generation, some of whom looked like street corner hookers??? I dont know of any night clubs being open on ANZAC day at 9am. Why dress like that at a memorial ceremony???
(To be honest even at funerals I have seem them dressed this way)

Have seen other things in the past which used make us wonder why people show up and carry on like they do....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Lest we forget.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #17
Whiskeyonesix

Lest we forget.

A lot of my mates here have served at one time or another, and I lost a good pal of mine in Bosnia years ago - I was bolting Landrovers back together for the REME at the time.

New brake switch at 203k+211k, new Discs and Pads + service at 212k
Whiskeyonesix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
fmc351
let it burn

Lest we forget.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #19
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
we will remember them.
Lest We Forget

we lost our good mate Benjamin Renaudo when we where in Afghanistan on July 19 2009 . he should have been drinking with us today remembering those that had fallen, instead we had to have a drink for him as well. to all those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice, have served or are still currently serving, thank you. i got to do the march in melbourne this year after waiting to do so for 6 years. it was so different to the usual townsville march, such a special atmosphere.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Two weeks or so ago, I went to New Zealand for work. While there, and with ANZAC Day approaching I wanted to see the Auckland War Memorial, so I organized for an extra 2 days in the City to have a look around.

I am very proud of ANZAC history, and my familys part in it. My Great Grand Uncles both served, one in France and one in Palestine. My Grandfather was a WW2 RAAF veteran who served in the islands, building and protecting airstrips against the Japanese. Even my Grandmother was an Army cook and truck driver and her Brother in Law was a Bren Gunner in the A.I.F in PNG. I always asked questions of my Grandfather and he would tell me stories. We shared a real bond about that, and we spent plenty of time talking about it. I have my Grandmothers dog tags, and some of the Grandfathers medals. I know that they are all resting peacefully in Gods care. I miss them greatly.

I went to the Auckland Memorial as an Aussie to pay my respects to those Kiwi cousins who paid the ultimate price. Incredible amounts of Australian and New Zealand blood has been spilt on the same battlefields, so given the opportunity it was always something I wanted to do, second after planning to visit ANZAC Cove in 2015. I saw the Australian War Memorial a long time ago and that was very emotional for me, so I knew this would be as difficult. The WW1 Roll of Honour is on the top floor of the Auckland Museum, with a glass dome over the top. I was so moved by just standing there, amongst the names; so many names. It was a lovely day and the sun was beaming through the roof and the whole area was bathed in sunlight, I couldnt help but think that these men and women, who fought and died in the mud, blood and tears, are deservedly honoured in such a beautiful, albeit haunting place. Exactly like the visit to the Australian War Memorial all those years ago, this too was a spiritual experience, sad but calming at the same time. I felt as though they were all there watching over us as our protectors; eternally on guard, making sure nothing happens to us.

How do you say thank you for something like that? How do we as the generations that have come after them, or as individuals say thank you or be worthy of such a sacrafice? Is honouring the memory of those lost, and celebrating those who survived enough? That is when I realized that our debt can never be repaid. We can never thank them enough, or repay them for what they all did. We owe them; we owe them to be worth the sacrafice. To be better to each other as people.

I pray that those who paid for our freedom with their lives regardless of their nationality are all in a place where a warm sun shines on them everyday. Im thankful for the ones who have lived in our time, they are all National treasures and we are right to honour and celebrate all of them. It is the very least we can do.
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #21
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Lest We Forget

from my trip last year...unbelievable place

comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 02:56 AM   #22
BHDOGS
Banned

im not really a fan of anzac day and do nothing to celebrate it
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #23
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
You my friend are unaustralian
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #24
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
Two weeks or so ago, I went to New Zealand for work. While there, and with ANZAC Day approaching I wanted to see the Auckland War Memorial, so I organized for an extra 2 days in the City to have a look around.

I am very proud of ANZAC history, and my familys part in it. My Great Grand Uncles both served, one in France and one in Palestine. My Grandfather was a WW2 RAAF veteran who served in the islands, building and protecting airstrips against the Japanese. Even my Grandmother was an Army cook and truck driver and her Brother in Law was a Bren Gunner in the A.I.F in PNG. I always asked questions of my Grandfather and he would tell me stories. We shared a real bond about that, and we spent plenty of time talking about it. I have my Grandmothers dog tags, and some of the Grandfathers medals. I know that they are all resting peacefully in Gods care. I miss them greatly.

I went to the Auckland Memorial as an Aussie to pay my respects to those Kiwi cousins who paid the ultimate price. Incredible amounts of Australian and New Zealand blood has been spilt on the same battlefields, so given the opportunity it was always something I wanted to do, second after planning to visit ANZAC Cove in 2015. I saw the Australian War Memorial a long time ago and that was very emotional for me, so I knew this would be as difficult. The WW1 Roll of Honour is on the top floor of the Auckland Museum, with a glass dome over the top. I was so moved by just standing there, amongst the names; so many names. It was a lovely day and the sun was beaming through the roof and the whole area was bathed in sunlight, I couldnt help but think that these men and women, who fought and died in the mud, blood and tears, are deservedly honoured in such a beautiful, albeit haunting place. Exactly like the visit to the Australian War Memorial all those years ago, this too was a spiritual experience, sad but calming at the same time. I felt as though they were all there watching over us as our protectors; eternally on guard, making sure nothing happens to us.

How do you say thank you for something like that? How do we as the generations that have come after them, or as individuals say thank you or be worthy of such a sacrafice? Is honouring the memory of those lost, and celebrating those who survived enough? That is when I realized that our debt can never be repaid. We can never thank them enough, or repay them for what they all did. We owe them; we owe them to be worth the sacrafice. To be better to each other as people.

I pray that those who paid for our freedom with their lives regardless of their nationality are all in a place where a warm sun shines on them everyday. Im thankful for the ones who have lived in our time, they are all National treasures and we are right to honour and celebrate all of them. It is the very least we can do.
Great post just a shame that for every great post there is post from a complete loser.

Quote:
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #25
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Been feeding the anzacs for 15 years either in apex or clubs , so was good to actually go to a dawn service after so long , and as above people had mobile phones at rocky dawn service took all my strength not to go turn em off ffs .,lest we forget
Old 26-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #26
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
You my friend are unaustralian
My dad spent 4 miserable years in the armed forces in WW2, as did his brother. Dad lost his best mate who burnt to death in a bomber. Dad saw boys and men burning to death in the sea, covered in oil. Dad was badly affected by the war, as much by the day-today misery as by battle.
Dad thought that AD was a load of bs and that we'd be far better off spending a day considering why the wars began, and why they weren't prevented. And no, he wasn't a communist, but a conservative.
Does that make my dad un-Australian ?
I don't think so - the diggers defended our right to have a different opinion to the majority and still be considered Australian, rather than be rounded up and stuffed into cattle-car trains to be murdered.
We Aussies seem to pride ourselves on being rugged individualists (Ned Kelly and so on) but imho are, at our worst, the biggest bunch of snivelling conformists who wouldn't say boo to a goose. Though obviously we have great courage and endurance when the chips are down and evil has to be fought.
Consider me a loser if you like - it is your right, won with blood and tears.
RIP diggers.

Last edited by shedcoupe; 26-04-2011 at 10:40 AM.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #27
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
Are you a veteran yourself? Have you seen something that makes you feel this way?
If the answer is no to both of those questions, and I suspect that it is, then you owe our service personnel a great deal of thanks, to allow you to have the freedom of a having such a poor attitude. The very fact that you can speak out and make the above statement is a testement to those your fail to acknowledge. I pity you, and I hope you learn to appreciate those that served.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
My dad spent 4 miserable years in the armed forces in WW2, as did his brother. Dad lost his best mate who burnt to death in a bomber. Dad saw boys and men burning to death in the sea, covered in oil. Dad was badly affected by the war, as much by the day-today misery as by battle.
Dad thought that AD was a load of bs and that we'd be far better off spending a day considering why the wars began, and why they weren't prevented. And no, he wasn't a communist, but a conservative.
Does that make my dad un-Australian ?
I don't think so - the diggers defended our right to have a different opinion to the majority and still be considered Australian, rather than be rounded up and stuffed into cattle-car trains to be murdered.
We Aussies seem to pride ourselves on being rugged individualists (Ned Kelly and so on) but imho are, at our worst, the biggest bunch of snivelling conformists who wouldn't say boo to a goose. Though obviously we have great courage and endurance when the chips are down and evil has to be fought.
Consider me a loser if you like - it is your right, won with blood and tears.
RIP diggers.
Shedcoupe, I think you would find that your Dad's opinion of ANZAC Day is the similar to many others. My Grandfather would never march on ANZAC Day. He would go and have a beer at the RSL when he could, but he saw no value in marching. That was his decision and I respected that, even if I did not quite understand it. When speaking to him, he served this country because that was what was asked of him. Just like my Grandfather, your Dad earned the right to choose. In the end, our service personnel did their duty, and I think the very least we can do is say thank you as a nation, and as individuals. I don't believe that our graditude should be by choice.
Old 26-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #28
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
Are you a veteran yourself? Have you seen something that makes you feel this way?
If the answer is no to both of those questions, and I suspect that it is, then you owe our service personnel a great deal of thanks, to allow you to have the freedom of a having such a poor attitude. The very fact that you can speak out and make the above statement is a testement to those your fail to acknowledge. I pity you, and I hope you learn to appreciate those that served.
So without waiting for an answer to your own question,(but assume one anyway) you go forth and question this guys attitude and heap pity on him cause he doesn't celebrate Anzac Day??
Boy, if expressing an opinion contrary to our own makes us somehow the object of pity, one would have to wonder what exactly was all the sacrifice for??
Old 26-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #29
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Shedcoupe, I think you would find that your Dad's opinion of ANZAC Day is the similar to many others. My Grandfather would never march on ANZAC Day. He would go and have a beer at the RSL when he could, but he saw no value in marching. That was his decision and I respected that, even if I did not quite understand it. When speaking to him, he served this country because that was what was asked of him. Just like my Grandfather, your Dad earned the right to choose. In the end, our service personnel did their duty, and I think the very least we can do is say thank you as a nation, and as individuals. I don't believe that our graditude should be by choice."

That comment is a dangerous outbreak of common sense !

Poor dad - a skinny 19-year-old kid volunteering to do a man's job before conscription came in, expecting to be sent to Europe but then suddenly having to confront the Japanese who were battle-hardened by years of bashing-up China.
He drilled with wooden 'rifles' as there were very few weapons in the country - they were all in the Middle East. What does that do to a young mind ? His brother - sent to New Guinea to be made into mince, but who survived.
I had a Scottish teacher in primary school who was a commando in North Africa, and who told the class of being without water for days on end in the summer. When home on leave he would sit at the kitchen sink with the tap running for hours, just watching the water flow.
Then there were the Vietnam vets who came home to be reviled - all so very sad. There are no 'winners' in war.

Last edited by shedcoupe; 26-04-2011 at 11:55 AM.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #30
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
So without waiting for an answer to your own question,(but assume one anyway) you go forth and question this guys attitude and heap pity on him cause he doesn't celebrate Anzac Day??
Boy, if expressing an opinion contrary to our own makes us somehow the object of pity, one would have to wonder what exactly was all the sacrifice for??
No, Did you read the entire post or just the section that suited? If he is a veteran, then the bottom part of my post then becomes very relevant. It is his choice, and I would respect that. End of Story.
But if he is not, then I do pity his attitude and his inability to see that the very people he fails to acknowledge on ANZAC Day, their actions and willingness to serve are the same people that kept this country free and enable him to have such an attitude. The very fact he can have that outlook is the direct result of the generations before him that protected his freedom to do so. Don't you think that merits at least a thank you? Some form recognition? Are you saying that as free people we owe nothing to those who kept us free?
I think that as the generations that have come after and have lived as free people, recognising ANZAC Day is a mark of respect, one that is owed.

Each to their own.