Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
Velocity XR6
Starter Motor

Arrow Comming to the Gold Coast

Hey all, gonna be on the gold coast next week : staying at the Gold Coast International Hotel, was wondering if any locals can tell me about must see places or anywhere that i should avoid. Also i'm looking for someone that could do me a BA 2 legged GT Wing? Supply, paint & Fit.

Thanks in advance

Velocity XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Sledgehammer
Banned

We have a club meeting nect week at Southside Ford if you like,

how long are you down for etc if youre down for the weekend the drags are on at Willowbank, if you have a family then theirs the parks etc and its always worth a trip up the mountain.

AWC may be the best bet for the wing. Site sponsor too.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well if ya family is going with ya u cant go past the 3 main parks like water world etc.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
Velocity XR6
Starter Motor

just me and the fiance ;) we'll be there sunday through till wed-thur..ish prob go seaworld she wants to see polar bears (me 2 ;) ) wher do i find awc? would they have it done in a day or so ya reckon?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
Sledgehammer
Banned

AWC are in Sydney. http://www.awcinfo.com/indexa.php

If you are interested in club meeting on tuesday evening pm me.
Stu
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
Velocity XR6
Starter Motor

sydney....bugger..... i thought i may have got it down while there on the gc, is there any good bodykit places down there i could try?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
EL_futuraistic

Q1 building is a must see.....( see avtar) Tallest Residential.

Its simply amazing.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #8
Velocity XR6
Starter Motor

looks impressive, hard to miss? i googled bodykits goldcoast and read about a mob called cougar body styling? anyone know them? contact details?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity XR6
sydney....bugger..... i thought i may have got it down while there on the gc, is there any good bodykit places down there i could try?
The other option is to send Coyote (on this forum) a PM and find out if he has something you might like.. He is also a site sponsor and is in the Sponsor section of the forum under 'On the spot paint repairs'.

(click on here) http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=154

Hope that helps
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I dont know how much luck you would have with short notice and wanting it done in a day or so, but a friend got cougar to do his commowhore a while ago and they did a good job...contact details...cant help there.

Who else...ummm..i know the guy that did ours is run off his feet...

AS FOR FUN

Well Seaworld is fun, can watch polar bears for ages.
I wouldnt bother with the Aquaduck.
Our car club meeting...lol
The hinterland has some nice walks and views, springbrook or mt tamborine.(as long as it is not pouring down)
I hear the Outback Spectacular is fun...but kind of aimed at overseas tourists.
A day cruise to SouthStradbroke could be nice if weather is good...Bluefire do a day or dinner cruise...5557 8888
Q1 Observation Deck... http://www.q1observationdeck.com.au

Restaurants...
Four Winds (revolving restaurant in surfers, lunch or early session for dinner i would suggest so you can see surfers then watch the sunset. BUFFET)...5592 9900

RPR's (Royal Pines Resort, pricey but GREAT, award winning. Ask for a window seat in the southern end or middle of restaurant if possible)...5597 1111 www.royalpines.com.au/main/dining/rprs.htm

DRACULAS!!!! Great fun, dinner and a show...5575 1000
www.draculas.com.au

Broadbeach is nice for sunday breakfasts and lunches lots of nice cafes all really well priced.
The one at GCI is nice too!
Ashmore Streak and Seafood is actually quite good value and great food...service is a little to be desired however...

Handy Sites...

http://www.hellogoldcoast.com.au

http://www.whypayfullprice.com.au/index.php

http://www.GoldCoastInformation.com.au

http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au...ns/gold-coast/

ENJOY IT!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #11
TRRTRY

Wallaby hotel for a $6 parma!
TRRTRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #12
coolkid

yeah there is no shortage of things to do up there i mean it would nearly have to be australias busiest tourist spot.just depends what you are into, cos the daytime theres plenty to do and the night life is great too
coolkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

climb Mount Warning - just down the road.
Do the trip to Byron, crawl through the Brunswick Heads roadworks and feed the Byrn council money via parking permits.
take a trip to the beast beach around - Norries headland at Cabarita.

yep, i'm just south of the GC.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #14
miitch
orgasmic.

http://www.balloonaloft.com/app/uniq...old_coast.html

Been a few times... AWESOME.

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 PM   #15
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going up to Gold Coast from Sydney at Xmas but haven't used the Pacific Hwy for years but read about it in the news. Thinking of going up my old route - the New England Hwy to Tenterfield then across to Lismore and joing the Pacifc after that. Is the New England still a good way to go or has the Pacific improved. I notice there is a motorway now to border from north of Byron turnoff. Any other motorway sections on Pacific north of Newcastle? Any advice from seasoned travellers appreciated.

Thanks for tourist tips from GCFordChic and others.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #16
Velocity XR6
Starter Motor

Well i decided were gonna do the Q1 thats amazing 43secs to the top ;) and probably do a seaworld nara package. wouldn't mind comming to the meeting (thanks for the invite by the way) but not sure whats happening.

We will be stopping in Hervery Bay saturday night on the way (inlaws) then to the GC sunday, my fiance is actually a store manager at Red Rooster and there having a conference so we get sun,mon,tue night at the GCI free. (there paying for the fuel down as well)

Is along the esplanade/beach a safe place to go for a walk at night? is there anywhere we should steer clear of when the sun goes down? were from the bush so not sure about the big smoke
Old 07-11-2006, 11:18 PM   #17
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Is along the esplanade/beach a safe place to go for a walk at night? is there anywhere we should steer clear of when the sun goes down? were from the bush so not sure about the big smoke

Do not come to Southport after dark. As tempting as the watch-house, the pubs, the Southport RSL and the Cheesecake Shop may be, just dont. :

As for the beach/esplanade after dark. As long as you dont look at anyone in the eye you should be ok.
nah, look as long as you are cautious it is not that bad. If i were you i would walk along the beach north from your place because it doesnt tend to have the drunk louts that may mug you if the oppertunity presents itself. They tend to be closer to Cavill. Mackintosh Island is ok in the daytime but dont go there at night.

As for shopping (I cannot believe i forgot last time!!)....

Pacific Fair (commonly called "Pac Fair" or "Paccas" -said pack-uhs) or Australia Fair are the closest general shopping centres, but go to Pac Fair, it is bigger, has better shops, is close to the Broadbeach for nice lunches, boutique shopping and the beach.
Australia Fair is in Southport... :

For 'Outlet Shopping' (i think they call it that, you know discounted brand-name clothing, shoes, homewares etc...) there is Harbour Town. It also has Bunnings...

Surfers Paradise is mainly overpriced junk aimed at the Asian Tourist market. _

PS. There is a bottle shop on the GC Highway just a few metres from your hotel's north eastern side. :
And a shop where you can buy the things you ate from the mini bar so you can fill it up before they check it...if you do that kind of thing... :

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #18
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
Pacific Fair (commonly called "Pac Fair" or "Paccas" -said pack-uhs) or Australia Fair are the closest general shopping centres, but go to Pac Fair, it is bigger, has better shops, is close to the Broadbeach for nice lunches, boutique shopping and the beach.
Australia Fair is in Southport...:
You forgot to give the good old warning about Pac Fair and making sure to hold your bags tight and your trolley even tighter :

Oh and with Pac Fair.. if you park somewhere, make sure you do take good notice of where.. you don't want to do what some other forum member had to do once (or twice or maybe a dozen or so times e ) and get security to hunt their car down with their little car thingo :
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #19
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

And dont go late-night shopping on Thursday at any GC shopping centre. Unless you like packs of kids still in school uniform having food fights, standing in the middle of walkways, blocking entrances to stores and generally being punks...

Ill stop now, sharing all the coast's sordid secrets! lol

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #20
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And dont go late-night shopping on Thursday at any GC shopping centre. Unless you like packs of kids still in school uniform having food fights, standing in the middle of walkways, blocking entrances to stores and generally being punks...

Ill stop now, sharing all the coast's sordid secrets! lol

Ha ha ha.. Jen, that is not just the GC problem.. that teen thing happens at all shopping centres I think.. Yeah even the one up this way (little horrors :alien2: )
Old 07-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #21
Velocity XR6
Starter Motor

so in other words once the sun goes down iwe should lock ourselves away :( hmmm harbour town sounds good wheres that? they got like surf brands and stuff? i'm a big aussiebum fan myself but can always do with a new pair of quiksilver boardies
Old 07-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #22
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so in other words once the sun goes down iwe should lock ourselves away :( hmmm harbour town sounds good wheres that? they got like surf brands and stuff? i'm a big aussiebum fan myself but can always do with a new pair of quiksilver boardies

No.. don't lock yourselves away.. Just be cautious.. always be aware of your surroundings and those that are within those surroundings (I think the same goes for just about everywhere these days though)..

Harbour Town has heaps of surf stuff and all other good brands.. If it is fashionable it is sold at HT..
Old 07-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #23
Velocity XR6
Starter Motor

hmmm well i dont wear jeans and a cowboy hat but i was born and bred in Barcaldine and now live in Emerald (south of Rockhampton) pop. aprox 11000, well known for the Gemfields, Coalmines, and a giant ugly painting so we live a pretty quite life out here the worse thing that has happened here in the past 12months was a rental car company got held up and thats BIG!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #24
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Here is the best way for me to describe where Harbour Town is...follow the green line...

P.S Dont mean to scare you, but you do just have to be cautious. Try to keep in well lit areas and you should be alright. Hang on...when is Schoolies? I hope for your sake it is not next week....

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 08-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #25
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Going up to Gold Coast from Sydney at Xmas but haven't used the Pacific Hwy for years but read about it in the news. Thinking of going up my old route - the New England Hwy to Tenterfield then across to Lismore and joing the Pacifc after that. Is the New England still a good way to go or has the Pacific improved. I notice there is a motorway now to border from north of Byron turnoff. Any other motorway sections on Pacific north of Newcastle? Any advice from seasoned travellers appreciated.

Thanks for tourist tips from GCFordChic and others.
I haven't used the New England for ages.
There's a lot of dual carriageway on the Pacific now. I liked it before all that. There are still places where work is planned or is being done.

From north of Byron is still underway. Lots of work being done around the Brunswick Heads turnoff but it really isn't such a long stretch (even though it seems so). You get past that and then the 40 km or so to the border is fairly clean. You can bypass Sth Tweed Heads by following the Brisbane signs. oddly, you keep right to go left (overpass). Same old issues at Tugun where a bypass is underway. you can decide to go along the GC hwy or keep going as if to Brisbane and take a road across. I don't really mind the GC hwy but you get slowed and stopped along the way. I like cruising through Burleigh and stopping for a perve.

When you come down the hill just before the Byron turnoff watch out for the speed camera. the section of road goes to a short stretch of 60 km/h.

same applies when you go down the hill at sth tweed heads after crossing the river. you go from 110 to 90 before the bridge then to 70 up the hill and 80 down the hill. at the bottom of the hill just before the split where you choose tweed heads or brisbane is a speed camera on the right. You can't help but roll over the limit so you need to be on the brakes. Now, I'm not sure if that camera gets northbound traffic but I ride the brakes anyway. I certainly know of many who have been caught going south.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #26
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

forgot to mention: if you take the New England option through Lismore then the Lismore to Bangalow road can be a PITA if you get stuck behind a truck. There's a speed camera along that road at Clunes in the 60 zone.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #27
Velocity XR6
Starter Motor

i believe schoolies is the week after next THANK GOD! well i got me list of things to see, and found harbour town on a map, also found snow world? and ripley's, are they worth seeing?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #28
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
i believe schoolies is the week after next THANK GOD! well i got me list of things to see, and found harbour town on a map, also found snow world? and ripley's, are they worth seeing?
Snow World I haven't been to, Ripley's definitely isn't worth the admission price.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #29
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
I think Snow World Shut down. It is the dodgy building behind the GCI on the northern side, opposite that bottle shop i was describing...lol

Ripleys-havent been, but heard it and Intensity are kinda dodgy...

fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #30
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here is the best way for me to describe where Harbour Town is...follow the green line...

P.S Dont mean to scare you, but you do just have to be cautious. Try to keep in well lit areas and you should be alright. Hang on...when is Schoolies? I hope for your sake it is not next week....
Hey I can see my house..LOL

All this hooligan behavour you guys are speeking about.. Does it only happen to the girls, because it has never happened to me or anyone I know... Not saying it does not happen, just I have never had it done to me..

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post