Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default whats next

Well i've donethe usuall intake exhaust mods to the xr8 so just need a direction to head in i was thinking of buying the sct flash tuner but i dunno if its worth it i was gonna put some 3.7's in the diff but unsure there aswell

I really don't wanna open the engine at this stage as its nice and tight and has low km's on it but then again i have to change the harminic balancer so a cam change would be nice.

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Diff gears will be more noticeable than a cam. Then go a hi stall converter. The Monty will shed some more light on this point.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

Isn't your diff a 3.45 now? If so, you will notice no difference whatsoever by fitting 3.7s. A high stall convertor will give you more punch off the line than 3.7s. And a cam will open up your top end but you will need to get a flash tune to get the benefit.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Isn't your diff a 3.45 now? If so, you will notice no difference whatsoever by fitting 3.7s. A high stall convertor will give you more punch off the line than 3.7s. And a cam will open up your top end but you will need to get a flash tune to get the benefit.
I ws thinking of buying the sct X3 the preloaded one but is it really worth the 600 bucks or should i just get a generic tune on the dyno from like g&d performance
Old 14-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

Aren't the generic tunes for unmodified vehicles? If you do the cam (and maybe fuel pump and injectors) you will need a custom tune.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

i think you need to think of the end goal before doing any mods. to save wasting money later on...

if you think youre going to keep getting the bug, consider forced induction and look at the supporting mods required. theres no point paying for 2 exhausts, multiple tunes, etc etc.

i am pretty much at the same point as you. ignition, intake, exhaust all sorted... want a bit more punch, but unsure of where to go.
Anything from here on out starts to get expensive, so consider what you want in the long run
Old 15-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love naturally aspirated engines i had an xe esp bout 10 years ago it had a healthy 351 clevo in it 11.1 compression solid cam heads etc.. so i'm thinking of going down this path again this is the first windsor i'm modding so unsure of all the efi stuff and that

So what you guys are saying is that my car has already got to many mods for the sct tuner

Also the car is a series 1 xr8 ute so i'm not sure of the diff ratio any help on this front would be appreciated
Old 15-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa
I love naturally aspirated engines i had an xe esp bout 10 years ago it had a healthy 351 clevo in it 11.1 compression solid cam heads etc.. so i'm thinking of going down this path again this is the first windsor i'm modding so unsure of all the efi stuff and that

So what you guys are saying is that my car has already got to many mods for the sct tuner

Also the car is a series 1 xr8 ute so i'm not sure of the diff ratio any help on this front would be appreciated
No it doesnt matter how many mods you have done, you will always see improvement with a custom tune regardless. Just do the sct tuner AFTER you have finished all your mods. That way you dont have to continuously need to go back to the tuner for further tuning time.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds good now i'm not sure which way to head with the mods build a stroker or buy a supercharger for the same money
Old 15-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

both have their merit. Comes down to what you prefer.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

put a some more whine in the weezer and get a super charger
Old 15-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah been looking at the raptor supercharger i was dreaming at lunch today my boss has a supercharged vs clubby with a fully worked 355 in it the thing sounds amazing coming down the road.
so i was thinking to myself wish i had the cash for an aftermarket block to build a killer stroker with a procharger hanging off the side but i'll keep dreaming for now.