Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Default Airport Full Body Scanners

This was an intersting read, considering the UK scanners are basically the same unit as what the australian government is going to be using.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/s...-1225828686931

I for one am not happy with the situation, as near on 100% of the time that I have to travel I am positioning for work and have my pilots headset, GPS and associated gear in my cabin baggage. I always get questioned as to why I have this equipment, have my bags searched, occasionally have to remove my belt and shoes, get swabed for explosive materials, all in front of the public. It's worse if i'm in uniform and I fear that now with the impending release of these scanners it is going to be another invasion of mine and others privacy.

The government says the picture will be destroyed instantly, but what is stopping an operator using a camera phone to take an image of the body scan?

Your thoughts?

Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

A bit invasive I think, not a fan of it but again I've never been on a plane before so I have no worries about that sort of stuff. Though I have been threatened by a guard to do a cavity search on me after I smart-assed him back at Parliament house when they where going over us with metal detectors.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
gtfpv
GT

I'll Attach A Strap On So It Looks Like I've Got 10 Inches.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
I'll Attach A Strap On So It Looks Like I've Got 10 Inches.
Where in my case, ill be accused of wearing one ahahahahaha
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Where in my case, ill be accused of wearing one ahahahahaha
:
LOL . guess i had that coming hahahaha.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Druggie's and dude's with pocket's full of lizard's would be worried..........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
JC260

Nothing wrong with it IMO.

From all the information I've read, the image thats projected is almost stick-figure like in it's representation with suspect areas shown up as coloured patches. It's not an actual 'picture' of the person being scanned.

Look at it this way, if we were to suffer an attack on our airways (heaven forbid) that could've been prevented with technology such as this, the public would be outraged and demanding action and answers as to why it was 'so easy' for the it to take place.

THE LAST-BA XR8|BLUEPRINT|5 SPEED|19"ROH VAPOUR'S|BPR CAI|KINGS SL & SSL|DBA SLOTTED|DJR BOBTAIL|LEATHER|

THE NEW-FAMILY SPEC ZD ESCAPE...
JC260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Have to wear one of those male chastity belts.
Get them even with out full body x ray

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sexy-Half-Tub...item439beda5f7
braddyxe51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Why bother. Some many airports at perth that dont scan anything before bording.
I was at one checked bag in then my work called said dont check in need ya to go somewhere else. So asked for my bag back they said ya just go out back and get it. Hows that fo sercurity.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
JC260

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddyxe51
Why bother. Some many airports at perth that dont scan anything before bording.
I was at one checked bag in then my work called said dont check in need ya to go somewhere else. So asked for my bag back they said ya just go out back and get it. Hows that fo sercurity.
This is why it needs to be upgraded.

What would you rather we do, wait until something happens and a few hundred people die before we do something? :

THE LAST-BA XR8|BLUEPRINT|5 SPEED|19"ROH VAPOUR'S|BPR CAI|KINGS SL & SSL|DBA SLOTTED|DJR BOBTAIL|LEATHER|

Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Ya shore the ones I was talking about need scanners but main ports are good enough I say.
The guy how had the explosives in his pants had already got through Amsterdam which already has one of these full body scanner. So to me just a waste if they dont work.
I get a plane twice each fortnight, It take too long to get though scanners now.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think if someone was planning a terrorist attack, they'd do it at AFL grand final or one of the days on Melbourne Cup week, pulling in crowds of 80,000+ at the race course on each of the 4 days with the very lax security it has. It would be easier and much more effective.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I think if someone was planning a terrorist attack, they'd do it at AFL grand final or one of the days on Melbourne Cup week, pulling in crowds of 80,000+ at the race course on each of the 4 days with the very lax security it has. It would be easier and much more effective.
Seriously. if a bomber WANTS to blow something up, all the security measures in the world won't stop him. If I was a terroist, would be much easier blowing up a stadium, or a school, or a child care, even a hospital.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all you who aren't happy would be saying where was the security if a family member was killed by a terrorists bomb

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
JC260

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
all you who aren't happy would be saying where was the security if a family member was killed by a terrorists bomb
yep, my point exactly.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DOTARS is best summed up by looking at Birdsville Airport.

Full security even though there are no aircraft there that are actually capable of getting to a major city without refueling

EXCEPT

during the Birdsville races when a gaggle of turbines and pocket rockets litter the stand.

And when the races are on all security is COMPLETELY DISMANTLED as it is too hard to keep track of hundreds of drunken party goers many of whom are QCs, pollies, rich buggers etc. who would cause no end of grief if (actually when) roughed up by the bullies and misanthropes who have finally found a job (airport guard) where they have power after constantly failing police/military/security guard job interviews.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Beats taking shoes and belt off...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
LTDHO
The one and only

I'm not fussed.

Let them laugh... Or is that only when I go through???
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Beats taking shoes and belt off...
They most likely still make ya do that.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC260
Nothing wrong with it IMO.

From all the information I've read, the image thats projected is almost stick-figure like in it's representation with suspect areas shown up as coloured patches. It's not an actual 'picture' of the person being scanned.

Look at it this way, if we were to suffer an attack on our airways (heaven forbid) that could've been prevented with technology such as this, the public would be outraged and demanding action and answers as to why it was 'so easy' for the it to take place.
Yep.... stick figures

heres a vid showing whats seen on the scans in the UK

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=972_1262283908
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD
Yep.... stick figures

heres a vid showing whats seen on the scans in the UK

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=972_1262283908
Nah, Stephen Conroy will make sure its banned with the filter.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #22
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

The security systems don't work.

I recently (December) made it from Canberra through Brisbane to LA and then Chicago with a pocket knife in my carry on (unknowingly, I removed the big one I knew about). Security checkpoints at all airports, and twice in Brisbane, as you've got to pass a special checkpoint to board any planes to the US.

All this 'security' is only there to appease the masses (is it nothing more than show), it doesn't work, the government and terrorists know this. And with all the inconvenience and loss of personal freedom, the terrorists have already won.

We live in a sad world.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #23
BHDOGS
Banned

No security doesn't always work and working in the security industry myself sorry flappist but i never wanted to be a cop or a 5 star general just get a job that has constant work luckily there's a constant supply of idiots for us to pick on especially old ladies we love to give them a beating for no reason being all stereotypical as we are, anyway my point is no it doesn't always work but why make it easier for them by not having the scanners so you might have to wait a couple of extra minutes at the airport now while your waiting half an hour for your plane anyway get over it.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #24
rodderz

some celebrity came out the other day and mentioned he went through one of these scanners and 2 of the women security employees asked him to sign the printout of his scan

rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #25
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
This was an intersting read, considering the UK scanners are basically the same unit as what the australian government is going to be using.

I for one am not happy with the situation, as near on 100% of the time that I have to travel I am positioning for work and have my pilots headset, GPS and associated gear in my cabin baggage. I always get questioned as to why I have this equipment, have my bags searched, occasionally have to remove my belt and shoes, get swabed for explosive materials, all in front of the public. It's worse if i'm in uniform and I fear that now with the impending release of these scanners it is going to be another invasion of mine and others privacy.

The government says the picture will be destroyed instantly, but what is stopping an operator using a camera phone to take an image of the body scan?

Your thoughts?
They can BUT the image is a stick figure with red patches for danger
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #26
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Little bit more than a stick figure.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #27
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

I care little about the privacy concerns, but what about the radiation from these things. I travel fairly frequently. And don't want to be subjected to these things.

That SMH article says you'll be refused flight if you refuse the scan.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #28
BOSHOG
avenge me

if you have nothing to hide there is no problem

me on the other hand....................
Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #29
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, the only logical answer for 100 % accuracy in regard to no one entering an aircraft with concealed items is for everyone to fly naked. This may cause undue stress for the cleaning staff though.

As for me, I will take the scanners any day.

To the question of radiation emissions by a scanner - has any one considered the ammount of radiation emitted by a mobile phone strapped to ones ear (3cms away from one's brain) a person is subjected to on a daily basis.

Meh - radiation from a scanner is miniscule in comparison.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #30
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC260
This is why it needs to be upgraded.

What would you rather we do, wait until something happens and a few hundred people die before we do something? :
Only a fool would believe in the fear propaganda that we're being told. Terror this and terror that. The real threat is not caused by some guys in a cave mate. :

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)