Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Looking to Buy Mondeo - What to Look For?

Hi all,

New poster within the Mondeo section, although I have been reading the posts in here lately as I am considering purchasing a Mondeo. Currently looking at either a MA or early MB series XR5 . The reason for this age vehicle is that I can Associate Lease a car through work, but it needs to be either at least 4 years old or have at least 100,000km on the clock at the start of the lease.

Looking through the specs, there doesn't seem to be too many differences in features between the MA and the MB, so I'm probably leaning towards a low km (approx 60K) MA. Plus there appears to be a better colour selection of the MAs on the market compared to the MBs.

So, I'm comtemplating an MA at the moment through private sale. I'd be interested in hearing from any current owners on the types of things I should check out if I take these cars for a test drive. What sort of trouble areas are consistent (wish there was a thread like the one for FGs) for the MA/Bs?

Any suggestiosn greatfully welcomed.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Looking to Buy Mondeo - What to Look For?

I still have a MA and it hasn't given me any reason to sell it,it has been fantastic especially the diesel engine. I did buy from new so it has been looked after very well with almost 50,000 Km sorry as nothing has gone wrong with mine touch wood the only other thing I can add is that the MA has the lowest KW rating of all the Mondeo model range just 96Kw but the torque makes up for any short comings in power,the latest is now 125Kw which should suit the heaver body the MB went up to 113Kw,oh one thing more I waited longer for mine to avoid the rain problem of the original hatch with no rubber insert on the rear window good luck with your search

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

As far as XR5 goes, not much difference across MA and MB.
MA had better colour range, MB had some of the MA-options now standard e.g. bluetooth.
MA XR5 had leather/velour seats with silver piping (same as MB Titanium), with MB XR5 having red piping (which really lifts the interior look). And I have a feeling the MB had Xenon + directional side headlights whereas MA did not.
Check out the redbook site and compare the two models for features (www.redbook.com.au).
IMHO it is always better to buy a later series of a new model to give them time to iron out any produiction and quality bugs. e.g. hatch leakage problem mentioned above.
Overall, an extremely competent car.....even Top Gear voted it Car of the Year (alongside Subaru Legacy/Liberty)
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our XR5 MA is still going strong. Only issues were the keyless start requiring a few tows and significant reprogramming early on and the water running off the rear hatch & into the boot. A lot of MA's will have had the programming issue address and a few the water run-off, under warranty.
Other than that tyres every 40-45,00km (we're on BF Goodrich & happy) and brake rotors at 60,000km. Oh; we busted a windscreen on a trip to Mt Isa but that wasn't the cars fault.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
ian b

I have had both MA & MB versions of the xr5.
The MB has more toys, inc usb/aux sockets for ipod operation from the steering wheel, the direction lights are a real benefit when driving through areas with rounabouts etc and help when parking in the dark.
The red piping on the interior looks better. also piano black surround to the sony head unit & a/c controls looks better than the brushed ali look of the MA. Doors also have carbon fibre look alike on the trim.
Other than the straight exhaust tips there are little exterior differences, MB has Zenons so has washers for the lights.
The keyless entry start in the MA was a problem but not apparent in the MB, plus the MB has a different seal around the hatch window which improves the water in hatch issue to a degree.
I would go for a late MB any time but depends how much you want to spend.