Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #61
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Cars you could own now and will be laughing in 20 years with

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
You let people (and yourself) drink coffee in your car?! You philistine! No food or liquids other than Water allowed in my cars!
Agree, never let anyone eat or drink in the car.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #62
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Steering wheel attendant.
Old 24-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #63
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I wouldnt mind it if the 4th gen camaros go up in value, dont expect them to but they are creeping up slowly in the US.

lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #64
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
The difference is the story is lost. There are fewer people talking about the Falcon story to their kids and the next generation wont even know what they're about. I don't think my GTF will be worth much in 20 years. Nor the Mach 1 when I get it and I plan to keep it for that time.

Look at my BA XR8 or BA GT's. They haven't made any money for the buyers. Even the TS still sell for below what they cost new even with the COVID tax.

Through in inflation, even if you sold for what you bought, you're behind.

The ones that make money are the exotics! The GTHO and cars like that. Even a regular Hardtop that sells for $150k is still not ahead when you consider the other costs to keep it going for the 50 odd years.

So you'd need to find something really special. Really special.
we all see things differently and in the big picture its all crystal ball stuff you or any of us are just ****ing in the wind re future values and all.
As for what the costs incurred whilst ownership, only the bean counter types consider that in the big picture imo.
Like my TS you mention, I have no care its value is not up to newish pricing nor what it has costed me to date, I'm more tickled pink where its value is tbh or more so what people are willing to pay pre or post covid wouldn't care less compared to a base model AU that is worth sweet FA I see it as great outcome overall.

As for the Falcon storey carrying on, well it seems alot of us are not in aged care yet here and the many others who have no care being on forums will still be carrying the torch.
Being a locally made product there will always be some looking back of the past, it won't be forgotten, racing alone even when its sewing machines they will show the past and a portion of future Enthusiats will venture and as mentioned some will look into Jap performance etcetc....being "special" isn't on everyone's to buy list, some just can't afford em and buy what suits their budget.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #65
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
we all see things differently and in the big picture its all crystal ball stuff you or any of us are just ****ing in the wind re future values and all.

As for what the costs incurred whilst ownership, only the bean counter types consider that in the big picture imo.

Like my TS you mention, I have no care its value is not up to newish pricing nor what it has costed me to date, I'm more tickled pink where its value is tbh or more so what people are willing to pay pre or post covid wouldn't care less compared to a base model AU that is worth sweet FA I see it as great outcome overall.

As for the Falcon storey carrying on, well it seems alot of us are not in aged care yet here and the many others who have no care being on forums will still be carrying the torch.

Being a locally made product there will always be some looking back of the past, it won't be forgotten, racing alone even when its sewing machines they will show the past and a portion of future Enthusiats will venture and as mentioned some will look into Jap performance etcetc....being "special" isn't on everyone's to buy list, some just can't afford em and buy what suits their budget.
Er... But that was the topic of discussion. What we think will go up in 20 years.

People who are mothballing car to make money off need to consider total cost to them.

I won't be selling my GTF in my lifetime but that's not because of momentary value, I just love my GTF as you do your TS and other toys.

Also, wasn't referencing your TS in particular. Its just on 20 years old and probably holds its value better than the B series GT and even that hasn't really hit the ball out of the park.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kypez; 24-02-2021 at 02:42 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #66
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

cheeez you edited enough times

The OP also ended with this below :

"So what about right now, 2021: what does it for you that would make you put it away now, and continue to know you were right - maybe the $$$, maybe the experience of that car does it for you - into the next 20 years?

What is your dream shed warmer?"

Not just about it being a future pot of gold.
and as I said, not everyone is a bean counter who garage queens/moth balls a car/s, yep there are those types, they are not Enthusiasts but brokers/merchant types and well off punters .
Others are Enthusiast's like us who don't think about the future values seriously.
IF it appreciates win win if not as much say for eg like any of ours no big deal for we own them for the passion and use.
Yer the BSeries GT's barring exception are not worth much today and the TSeries is a little higher and better off for sure.
The GTF will be a goody as will the RSpec.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2021, 03:59 PM   #67
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
cheeez you edited enough times

The OP also ended with this below :

"So what about right now, 2021: what does it for you that would make you put it away now, and continue to know you were right - maybe the $$$, maybe the experience of that car does it for you - into the next 20 years?

What is your dream shed warmer?"

Not just about it being a future pot of gold.
and as I said, not everyone is a bean counter who garage queens/moth balls a car/s, yep there are those types, they are not Enthusiasts but brokers/merchant types and well off punters .
Others are Enthusiast's like us who don't think about the future values seriously.
IF it appreciates win win if not as much say for eg like any of ours no big deal for we own them for the passion and use.
Yer the BSeries GT's barring exception are not worth much today and the TSeries is a little higher and better off for sure.
The GTF will be a goody as will the RSpec.
Yeah! I hit send too quickly! And like to re-read what I've wrote and hope I don't have spelling mistakes and have covered what the previous person said.

Yes, I missed that last bit and felt the conversation was more about what would appreciate vs what you'd appreciate. I was focusing on the appreciate on a monetary scale.

You know I drive my cars the way they were meant to be driven so no garage queens here.

That said, when I drive my BA these days, sure its been almost 20 years, its giving me less and less enjoyment. Technology has moved forward and the driving experience just isn't there. I drove a AU XR8 (220kw) and was so disappointed; it was my dream car at one stage and thought to get one.

So, in my case, can I hand on heart say I'll still love my GTF for the driving experience in 20 years? I can't say. It already feels so slow compared to my Teslas. The Mach 1 will hopefully have the handling on track to cure my acceleration blues.

But I'll keep the GTF as a memento of when we used to make cars in Australia.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #68
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Glad your now in the thread picture
Old 24-02-2021, 04:46 PM   #69
minheim

I think the biggest worry with keeping recent cars for another 20 years will be the electrics. Much easier when the chief brains in the car was the driver as you were dealing with mechanical parts rather than computers and sensors galore. A pity but it just reinforces that cars are increasingly not seen as keepers and the move to electrification will accelerate the trend. I think pre 1980 cars are the mostly likely to appreciate but will need to be pristine and will have a smaller buying audience.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2021, 06:48 PM   #70
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Glad your now in the thread picture
Well, I wasn't out of it. I could say the same towards you. Both your responses and mine fall within the criteria.
Old 25-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #71
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sprintey good thread.

OH look out the next big thing EV's will kill ICE cars values.
Well obviously the garden varieties like anything BUT isn't this the same as every big "change" that has occured in the past - everything prior is outdated not loved or wanted.
Well it baffles me over the last 50yrs how much some cars are still worth decade by decade.
Yep they are so far behind the times its not funny BUT there is and will always be a % of humans that keep something old alive, and that will be happenning long into EV's coming into our worlds.
Hi FTE, cheers.

This thread has gone on a bit longer than I thought it would. I agree with you, for a couple of reasons.

1) A mechanically involved, manual experience will still be sought by people in the future. You actually chose the gears? No way - I want to try that.
People will enjoy this in the future, ie, be laughing.

2) Pricing and 'laughing' at it's value (tears of joy, or just tears haha). People will value things for historical, or sentimental value. Sentiment being the word. Even in the face of a paradigm shift to electric, with its own hero collector models.

We've seen the golden age 60's/70's cars (driven by Boomers, driven very used and cheap by Gen X, I can't speak for Y but I know the Gen Z kids I know regard them in awe) go from very cheap, to stratospheric prices. There is every evidence going through 1980s muscle, and now 1990s muscle, that the same appreciations are occuring. Even to crazy levels, like Brocks and HDTs - but this rubs off on the more common garden variety models, like from GTHO, to GT, to GS. Given this, it would be reasonable to assume that 2000s models, and 2010s models of the Aussie cars, will appreciate after their depreciation curves bottom out.

And the fundamental driver for this would be sentimentality - "we had one of those when I was a kid/young adult..."

Added to that, is the fundamental fact that Aussie RWD muscle is no longer being created. The last time huge Aussie performance was just stopped was the 'supercar superscare' in 1972, and if I read correctly, GTHOs (4.4K new) did not really go down (the inflation of the 1970s helped - about to happen again IMO ...)
By early 80's were second hand GTHOs 12K? And they just kept going...

We're in a similar situation now, Aussie performance is over and things like the HSV W1 were the last and greatest (from the red side).

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-rev...loo-ute-review

If Paul is correct, and despite the charity-purchased 1Mil price for one of the 4 utes, the sedans are going at about $350K currently... that's a return that outdoes the GTHO's price immediately after 1972! Maybe not a house, but a cheap flat, ha. Some of this is the frothyness of financial markets and cash sloshing around these days as Covid has triggered unprecedented money printing, but it may also pull/keep the lesser models up in value.

Last edited by Sprintey; 25-02-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2021, 08:13 PM   #72
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I can see the Mexican Hoon cartel lads reaching retirement age and yearning for a stock BF wagon...

& yes to clarify for conversation below that I've just caught up on, it's also what experience of car does it for you, not just price. Though the more exhilarating cars probably correlate with the best price - but this is not causative