Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2021, 12:46 AM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cars you could own now and will be laughing in 20 years with

Mondeomatureguy started a great thread on cars from the past we might have sold and grown to regret doing so...

And FTE217 had a great point:

"and thats the punch in bold, when you had X car when young you don't have a crystal ball to think, this will be worth heaps in 20yrs on.....
Our Falcons talking were on this forum as we all know were "dailies" everyday means of transport we grew up and loved warts and all.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but split milk is spilt milk."

My son is already a bit chuffed that his mint FG XR6 has gone up in price over the last crazy year... He's lucky to be of the age where he can get a decent Aussie RWD car before they fade into legend... He wants to keep it even if stored when a work ute is required. (I tell him to get a good FG work ute, ha)

So what about right now, 2021: what does it for you that would make you put it away now, and continue to know you were right - maybe the $$$, maybe the experience of that car does it for you - into the next 20 years?

What is your dream shed warmer?
Old 22-02-2021, 02:03 AM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Cars you could own now and will be laughing in 20 years with

Peugeot 405Mi16; the ratio of glass, plastic, steel makes it just viable.

Quite honestly though, I don’t expect to necessarily last 20 years! Good if I do, but quality over quantity is my enduring aim.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 03:56 AM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could buy a Great Wally, and people will laugh at you for 20 years.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

In 20 years, there will be an entire generation who knows nothing about a falcon and l but there might be a few gen Y people who might still spend some coin on a falcon but I wouldn't hold my breath honestly.

The current pricing bubble will pop post COVID when people start using their money on overseas travel.

I'd say anything powerful with a manual might fetch some coin in a future of auto (or single speed gearboxes, aka electrics).

With the change to EVs, I don't think we'll ever see the appreciation of yesteryear or the prices we see today.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
In 20 years, there will be an entire generation who knows nothing about a falcon and l but there might be a few gen Y people who might still spend some coin on a falcon but I wouldn't hold my breath honestly.

The current pricing bubble will pop post COVID when people start using their money on overseas travel.

I'd say anything powerful with a manual might fetch some coin in a future of auto (or single speed gearboxes, aka electrics).

With the change to EVs, I don't think we'll ever see the appreciation of yesteryear or the prices we see today.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I agree, cars we enjoy now will become track day warriors and things we see at shows and thats about it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Makes me happy to think the ol Louisville, 2 stroke Detroit diesel powered noisy coal roller will be plying the roads with me at the wheel in 20 years time.

Cars wise, I don't reckon anything with a computer controlling it will last that long.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Qld-RTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
You could buy a Great Wally, and people will laugh at you for 20 years.
Probably not..... or at least they wont be laughing about the great wall that you bought 20 years prior.... either they'd be shocked that its still alive, or it wouldve ended up at the scrappies long before that!
Qld-RTV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buying a car to make a profit? so many less risky and more rewarding options.
hot tip,,, holding onto an XR6 wont get you a house deposit in 20 years.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

With EV's on the way, in 20 years it's going to be interesting to see what happens with petrol powered vehicles. Will they still be around in large numbers, or becoming oddities?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
With EV's on the way, in 20 years it's going to be interesting to see what happens with petrol powered vehicles. Will they still be around in large numbers, or becoming oddities?
And will you be able to buy petrol to power them ... or will they just sit around as museum pieces ... like what happened to the GM EV-1s when GM went out and ripped the battery units out of them so they couldn't be used anymore (if people wanted to keep the vehicles ... and not have them scrapped).

Lets hop it doesn't come to that (ie: no fuel to buy/use)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #11
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you would be lucky if any new car will last 20 years theses days, i'm sitting pretty with my 1of1 BA GT but thats if i wanted to sell it and i don't

i'm a fan of petrol engines but in 20 years if i can buy an electric car and go to ebay and buy a bigger battery, bigger motor and upgrade it (just like we do now to petrol cars) i think alot of people will be looking forward not backwards.
its not out of the question that a backyarder can build a 0-100 in 3 sec RWD family car that could rip 9sec quarters
you won't need to be a mechanic there is no reason it can't be plug and play just like adding RAM to your home PC
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #12
bb_zetec

I think in the future we will see Electric Conversions for our beloved classics.

there are companies already in the states that Electrify old Chevies, Fords and the like here and now.

Yes we will miss the V8 growl and rumble that we are used to, but i think that is maybe the next generations concern.

as long as most of us are around petrol will exist in some shape or form.

I dont think the petrochemical industry will shut overnight either...there are a lot of petroleum based products other than fuels.

Maybe in 100 years perhaps.

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
you would be lucky if any new car will last 20 years theses days, i'm sitting pretty with my 1of1 BA GT but thats if i wanted to sell it and i don't

i'm a fan of petrol engines but in 20 years if i can buy an electric car and go to ebay and buy a bigger battery, bigger motor and upgrade it (just like we do now to petrol cars) i think alot of people will be looking forward not backwards.
its not out of the question that a backyarder can build a 0-100 in 3 sec RWD family car that could rip 9sec quarters
you won't need to be a mechanic there is no reason it can't be plug and play just like adding RAM to your home PC
Just like playing with RC cars .... just bigger.
5 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #14
hayseed

Any 2020 complied Holden, Though It may take more than 20 yrs to be collectible..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #15
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_zetec View Post
I think in the future we will see Electric Conversions for our beloved classics.

there are companies already in the states that Electrify old Chevies, Fords and the like here and now.

Yes we will miss the V8 growl and rumble that we are used to, but i think that is maybe the next generations concern.

as long as most of us are around petrol will exist in some shape or form.

I dont think the petrochemical industry will shut overnight either...there are a lot of petroleum based products other than fuels.

Maybe in 100 years perhaps.
Yeah I agree, their will always be fuel, even if it becomes the waste product rather than the other way around. There will always be gas in 30 years if you want to convert a classic.
Myself, I wouldn't mind an aftermarket electric conversion, it's the styling I like most about older cars anyway, not the combustion part. Well I like that a bit but would forgo that if there was a power/torque increase with electric.

But the reason why old cars shot up is because boomers that tripled their money (or more) in R/E over 10-20 years, plus hero cars from back when everyone watched motor sports. That's not going to happen again (a large proportion of people all tripling their money on R/E together, or massive interest in motorsports with hero cars).

GenX is the last gen to really care about cars and maybe followed motorsport when young, but they're buried under mortgages mostly. Younger gens don't care for aussie cars and are happy with electric or euros.

Cars that are going to appreciate already have, (inc the last of the aussies holding their value). So there's not going to be any good cheap investments to buy into now.

I'm keeping my barra ute and bmw e34 though, probably won't lose money on them, might go up to 10k one day.

Last edited by oldel; 22-02-2021 at 05:38 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #16
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Some of the really rare special edition Ferrari’s, Astons, McLaren, Porsche etc

From my perspective not much else will go up in value, at least nothing that is mainstream, ICE or Volts, huge numbers of disposable crappy cars on the road.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2021, 07:15 PM   #17
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Some of the really rare special edition Ferrari’s, Astons, McLaren, Porsche etc

From my perspective not much else will go up in value, at least nothing that is mainstream, ICE or Volts, huge numbers of disposable crappy cars on the road.
Hope this prediction works out better than your last few in the other thread.
Old 22-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #18
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anything with a Manual Gearbox will be a stand out in 20 years time.
Everything at that time will be Semi to Fully Autonomous regardless of fuel / energy type.
There will be some that will still like to 'Drive' a car and it will be a big novelty.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 11:20 PM   #19
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I have a plan to "replace" my daily (a bought new, 2012 XR6T LE, @50K now) with a new daily (probably electric, probably with twice the acceleration) in 3-4 years (once the house is paid off). It'll have about 68K on it by then.

I'll be laughing for sure, as I'm keeping the FG2. Doesn't matter to me they went up in price in the past 12 months. Wouldn't matter to me if they tanked.

My last car (bought with my big head, not the little one) went from $18K to a $2K trade-in for this car after 12 years... That makes this one worth about $5K (when the daily changes) in my mind, but I've managed to keep it immaculate. Yeah, I've spent some money on it fixing some small things that shouldn't have had issues in the past 8 years, and added some things to make my smile grow.

With less use though, should be a fun car to keep for the long haul. It's never coming back like this, after all.
JasonACT is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2021, 11:29 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Everything at that time will be Semi to Fully Autonomous regardless of fuel / energy type.
There will be some that will still like to 'Drive' a car and it will be a big novelty.
Already starting to be like it now.

The ratio of auto/manual is very different to what I remember growing up in the early 80's even. Doesn't even seem that long ago in my mind.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2021, 12:09 AM   #21
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I won't be here in 20yrs time, well I might be but probably won't care too much. But the FGX XR8, XY Fairmont GS, and my low k RTV will keep me happy until then and the kids will do what they like with them after that. Sadly they might not be worth much then.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2021, 08:32 AM   #22
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
That’s a great point, although on the flip side, who will be able to drive a manual in 20 years..
I read a report recently about why Model T Fords (besides the brass cars) aren’t as pricey as one would think. The theory behind why they are so affordable is because the average Joe doesn’t know how to drive the Model T.
Anyone who has driven a Model T knows exactly what I’m talking about, not hard, just totally different to a conventional manual car.
So thinking along similar lines, in 20 years if you don’t know how to drive a H pattern manual vehicle, are you going to pay big money for that particular vehicle..
Hope I’m wrong as most of my cars are manual...
Old 23-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
So thinking along similar lines, in 20 years if you don’t know how to drive a H pattern manual vehicle, are you going to pay big money for that particular vehicle..
We better start collecting 4 on the column Mitsi L300s then.

Imagine the future collector sitting in the seat of one of these, trying to figure how to select a gear.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #24
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Already starting to be like it now.

The ratio of auto/manual is very different to what I remember growing up in the early 80's even. Doesn't even seem that long ago in my mind.
We're closer to 2050 than we are to 1990 now...

Quote:
That’s a great point, although on the flip side, who will be able to drive a manual in 20 years..
I read a report recently about why Model T Fords (besides the brass cars) aren’t as pricey as one would think. The theory behind why they are so affordable is because the average Joe doesn’t know how to drive the Model T.
Anyone who has driven a Model T knows exactly what I’m talking about, not hard, just totally different to a conventional manual car.
Exactly the point. An entire generation will come through the next 20 years having never driven a manual. Manuals are one of those things that you either learn to drive one in your first car or you never really learn to drive one. Those who pick it up later in life after driving an Auto and being able to master a manual are few and far between. So many young kids look at my GTF and don't have a clue what it is. When they see the Tesla (even under 10 years old), they immediately know what it is!

Ask most people what heel-toe is and most wouldn't have a clue even today. If you can't do that, why bother with a manual.

Last edited by kypez; 23-02-2021 at 10:48 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It would be much easier for a modern auto driver to learn how to drive manual, than it would be for them to learn to drive a model T. Manual is only one extra pedal to learn, and hand movements which are easy. Model T's don't have conventional pedal layouts, and you need to do stuff like change the spark advance with a lever etc. Much more complicated, and much more removed from driving a modern car.
Old 23-02-2021, 02:46 PM   #26
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It would be much easier for a modern auto driver to learn how to drive manual, than it would be for them to learn to drive a model T. Manual is only one extra pedal to learn, and hand movements which are easy. Model T's don't have conventional pedal layouts, and you need to do stuff like change the spark advance with a lever etc. Much more complicated, and much more removed from driving a modern car.
You give people waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy tooo much credit! I've tried and given up on a lot of mates with Manuals. They simply can't figure it out
4 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #27
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

A Ferrari F458 Speciale or even a F430 Scuderia with the last of the Manual Transmissions would be suffice.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2021, 03:17 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
You give people waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy tooo much credit! I've tried and given up on a lot of mates with Manuals. They simply can't figure it out
Would still be much easier than a model T. They would be a bastard of a thing to drive.
Old 23-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #29
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Imagine the future collector sitting in the seat of one of these, trying to figure how to select a gear.
Or trying to work out how to start a 1418 Benz?
Quote:
Lack of hand and foot coordination?
Old 23-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #30
bb_zetec

I was one of those who started driving in an Auto and then switched to Manual.

Took me a while to get the good with the clutch/shifting co-ordination but once you get used to it it becomes second nature. Now been driving manuals for 15 years.

I enjoy driving manual much more than the Autos...in fact we dont own any autos anymore except for the old stang which i prefer as an auto being a cruiser and left hand drive.

I do find Manual annoying in heavy stop/start traffic though, but once you get out into the open its much more fun.

I think Manual will exist for 4WD and Performance applications...the mainstream will eventually die out due to lack of sales.

The landcruiser troopcarrier is an example...are they even made in automatic?

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post