Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why some change cars early

Hi

was wondering what’s reason why most people change car over at the warning signs instead of keeping them going and getting every last bit out and driving them till the engine or transmission gives up,

a couple years ago With the ef everything was going on it engine was pretty good so was gearbox but everything else was going around it, one week it was something and next month it was something different sort of thing and it was never ending, then sorted that batch out and had wheel bearings go at front and the people that fixed wheel bearing found suspension parts needed replacing and said it might be time for another car so had a think about wether really wanted to keep going or if it might be time to give up, so decided to keep going and do a bit more. Then engine gave up and got a ba ghia for a daily and going to get a ed for weekend car and do it up and put a v8 in hopefully

can think of following reasons why most change cars earlier and not keep them going till the engine gives up.

1. Even though a loans more expensive than continual repairs it’s easier for some to manage.

2. Don’t want to deal with continual repairs.

3. Want to be able to go somewhere that they can’t with the old car due to constantly needing stuff or not wonder if the next thing will go while away.

4. Inconveniently needing more repairs & don’t have time to deal with them.

5. Reason 3 and also some too busy to deal with constant repairs.

6. Cost money that could be used for something else.

7 any other reasons?

8. Lifestyle changes and just like to treat themselves which is ok long as you got money or can pay a loan

9. don’t want to be in a hurry to buy a car and end up with wrong one

heres some youtube videos do you’s can watch

thanks
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Why some change cars early

I generally hold onto my cars until they
a) give me too many problems and just easier to offload
b) the car is very long in the tooth and some very expensive repairs/fixes are required.

I recently had to offload my XR5 after 11 years of relatively problem free motoring.
All original, including clutch, 210k km, drives like it did when i first got it.
Only after a cylinder liner cracked that I decided it was time to offload it and fast track the larger family car required.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I changed my first one over before the warning signs because I wrote it off!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I had company cars, they where changed every 3 years as that was the Lease Term my old employer used... I would get a list of 2 or 3 cars to choose from a few months out from the end of lease and would have to let them know which one, and a colour and it would be delivered...

AS for my personal cars:

- My FG XR6T was only sold as is wasn't being driven very much (sometimes only out once a month) it was a waste to me and the funds where put to better use somewhere else. Id owned it from new (4/2009) until June 2013.
- My 2015 Mazda 6 was sold as I wanted to get into one of the last aussie V8's and couldn't afford to keep it as a daily. And picked up my SSV Redline. This ones a keeper though.. Its going nowhere. the mazda I owned from 5/2015 until 12/2017

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I usually change my cars over when I crash them so badly that I can't fix them.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i change when i like a car better than what i have, however i have 4 cars now

I can see myself selling the FG soon as its not as cheap as i like driving to work and its almost about the crack 250,000km so if i sell it soon i might still get something for it, if i keep it a few years and sell it i'll only get $2k for it, probably get $5k now plus not sure where LPG will be placed in the market in a few years

i'm looking at turbo territory or fiesta st to replace it
the FG e-gas does 22l/100km in traffic ($19 per 100km) and a turbo teri ($27 per 100km) so about $20 pw extra plus a changeover of about $5k or fiesta ST ($14 per 100km) plus $10k changeover..

never sell the BA, and i'll only replace the VZ if i can find another large V8 AWD wagon that drives like a car (not a territory) for the missus and towing
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't afford to be stranded on the side of the road.

I need a reliable car that I can get in and drive across the state or country without a worry, knowing that I will get there and back without needing a tow truck.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Buy new with ABN. Sell 12 months later for the same or similar money. Next to no rego, servicing or repair costs.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

I chattel mortgage mine, and change them over every 3-4 yrs, yeah they cost $$ every week to pay off, but it's tax deductible.
Outside of standard services, I haven't spent a cent on maintenance in 20 years.
A few k per year to drive a new/ish car sounds exy but I change them over for no cost to me (sometimes even pocket a few K) because the sale price is generally well above the payout cost.
As mentioned in a post above, I need reliability, so driving a ****ter isn't an option for me.

I have a mate that's spent a fortune keeping an old Patrol on the road for the last 20 years, once fuel savings are bought into the equation, I think I'd actually be well in front, without having the inconvenience of the vehicle being off the road multiple times for days at a time, for rebuilds to the engine/gearbox/diff, and turbos.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post

I need a reliable car that I can get in and drive across the state or country without a worry, knowing that I will get there and back without needing a tow truck.
same here

i own a VT wagon on gas and can fit a double bed mattress in the back
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #11
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
same here

That's 10 points for creativity. I have a personal car however I dont drive it because I have a work car. So righto my brother drives the car I bought because I wanted it, but he rides a bike so he only really drives it in the wet or to do the shopping, but he pays the maintenance and rego etc. So it's sort of like the car I want on the weekends but dont really want to pay for, and to him it's the car he needs at times so foots the bills. Work cars are you get what you are given so the ranger isnt exactly a thrilling driving experience being a 2.2 manual, but fuel and associated maintenance costs are not my problem. When they become an issue work will replace it.
On the keeping it real scale I know people who keep getting sucked further into the debt whirlpool thinking selling at a loss in debt for the "better finance" deal on another car being blind to the fact the prior debt is thrown on top. Possibly why I have an ex wife who just did that again so drives a second hand car worth maybe 20 grand but financed for 47 grand.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 08:17 PM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I've been driving for 25 years, damn where did the time go.
I've had around 100 cars in that time so averaging 4 per year, infact our current cars, her Camry and my BF weve had for 4 years and 3 years respectively which has skewed the figures to look more respectable than they are.
I changed because i was bored and didnt care about the money, now im older and wiser i keep them a bit longer because i just cant be bothered dealing with Gumtree lowballers or dodgy salesmen.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
That's 10 points for creativity. I have a personal car however I dont drive it because I have a work car. So righto my brother drives the car I bought because I wanted it, but he rides a bike so he only really drives it in the wet or to do the shopping, but he pays the maintenance and rego etc. So it's sort of like the car I want on the weekends but dont really want to pay for, and to him it's the car he needs at times so foots the bills. Work cars are you get what you are given so the ranger isnt exactly a thrilling driving experience being a 2.2 manual, but fuel and associated maintenance costs are not my problem. When they become an issue work will replace it.
On the keeping it real scale I know people who keep getting sucked further into the debt whirlpool thinking selling at a loss in debt for the "better finance" deal on another car being blind to the fact the prior debt is thrown on top. Possibly why I have an ex wife who just did that again so drives a second hand car worth maybe 20 grand but financed for 47 grand.
i upgraded from a $600 SV 21 Camry 5 speed, it was a great car but after nearly four years i felt it was time for an up grade

VT has air con, power steering, auto, no peeling paint and no saggy roof lining (common problems with VTs) and it can fit a double bed mattress in the back
8 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #14
Kicking back

Quote:
i upgraded from a $600 SV 21 Camry 5 speed, it was a great car but after nearly four years i felt it was time for an up grade

VT has air con, power steering, auto, no peeling paint and no saggy roof lining (common problems with VTs) and it can fit a double bed mattress in the back
Surely you had to get somebody to be the guarantor to get finance on that. It's an upgrade for sure. One of my clients sold his Audi allroad that had issues then bought a vy wagon that isnt pristine but is in reasonable shape. As a parts car the Audi sold for a decent amount considering it was purchased new and had um, a few? Issues. The vy wagon with leather cost $180. So add a blue slip which it passed first go and green slip and rego, that's a sweet cheap ride right there.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Surely you had to get somebody to be the guarantor to get finance on that. It's an upgrade for sure. One of my clients sold his Audi allroad that had issues then bought a vy wagon that isnt pristine but is in reasonable shape. As a parts car the Audi sold for a decent amount considering it was purchased new and had um, a few? Issues. The vy wagon with leather cost $180. So add a blue slip which it passed first go and green slip and rego, that's a sweet cheap ride right there.
audi service = 10 VT/VY bunkys
6 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #16
Kicking back

Quote:
audi service = 10 VT/VY bunkys
Your talking the first complimentary service on a new q5 yeah? (I'm just putting **** on my dad who bought an Audi new in 2015 and ticked all the boxes, no box said exciting or anything, white good was pre ticked)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #17
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post

Nobody can afford to be stranded on the side of the road unless you have the best cover. Even then you have to sit there for hours waiting for assistance. The key point to having a go anywhere any time vehical comes down to maintenance. Before I hooked the loaded tandem up to my 03 Rodeo to head down to Heathcote I checked the oil and water. 3800 klm’s later it’s still going strong.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #18
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
same here

But will it make it to Heathcote next year

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to keep cars till they were dead but it ends up being a little bit of a false economy as the car is then worth nothing.

Now keep cars for a few years. New cars have never been cheaper and late model used cars hold their value well in Australia so can buy something new, get a few years out of it and flog it off for not that much cost of ownership. Still costs money but way better than what it is overseas or here back in the 90s.

Last edited by Brazen; 01-08-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 02:17 AM   #20
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on many factors, but chief amongst them are functionality and maintenance costs.
Depending of what you use the vehicle for, when its functionality is impaired it can be time to move it on. For some people, either by personal choice or because their work requires, their car must always have near perfect presentation. Once things start to look worn, its time to pass it on to someone who doesn't care. The great thing about cars, as opposed to say underwear, is that there is always a healthy 2nd hand market.

When my car needs maintenance, I will shop around for the parts and DIY. It's probably not efficient, but I get a sense of satisfaction from it.
On the other hand, repairing our work vehicles on site is extremely expensive, and maintenance costs end up far out-weighing the purchase price. So it makes sense to demob the vehicles once those costs start to climb.

The other issue, is the relative strength of the 2nd hand market. Particularly back in the day when warranties were shorter, many companies would turn their vehicles over relatively early, when they were still sought after by dealers.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #21
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

Just wondering, would you have the specs on the mattress please......
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Just wondering, would you have the specs on the mattress please......
There's some good videos out there in the wild when it comes to stealth camping.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #23
slowsnake
Banned

Cars were not designed as an investment, they were designed to use petrol!
Kerosene lamp fuel never made anyone rich, they designed something to use all that "black gold" in the ground, it just happened to be a motor vehicle, cars don't breakdown, its the parts that go into it that fail, cars are designed that way, to burn oil, burn fuel, burn globes,burn clutches,burn brake pads or linings, they are designed to cost the owner mucho dollero during its lifetime!

Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I look at this from a totally different approach that most would. It's been years since I owned a new car or truck and vowed I would never buy another. I know this wouldn't apply to quite a few here....

Given the old school business I'm in and try to promote and given the word of mouth about what I do, I like to buy older trucks which makes financial sense (for me) due to the fact I can maintain, fix any mechanical issues myself with plenty of parts still available.
Accountant keeps telling me I should buy new and offset my tax deductions bah bah bah..... problem is he doesn't live in the real world, where most will see my old well maintained trucks getting around still earning their keep attracting attention and attracting business.
I get a lot of enquiries based on.. "Oh, I saw your lovely old truck"

Most of my vehicles are now 25+ years old. The last truck (bought as a parts truck) I acquired 3 years ago was a registered 30 year old $1500 gumtree special I spent a further $3000 bringing it up to scratch but it has paid for itself 30-40 times over from work and has been a rolling advertisement.
Even the Falcon Panel van I acquired last year as a cheap fill in is starting to draw attention (not from the cops) and turn a profit due to the amount of work it been sharing with the trucks.
This was a vehicle I never intended to keep.

I mentioned this on another topic here, as I can see why the younger Hipster crowd are more interested with an older small commercial vehicle as it is great promotional advertising for the type of "Handmade" businesses they are now creating for themselves.

New cars / trucks every 2 3 years doesn't appeal to me but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who does it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #25
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For work vehicles it's false economy to keep them until they break. Almost always in the last year or two before you get rid of them you have spent more then the repayments a new vehicle would have required. And every time it breaks down, you loose a day getting it back to a repairer, then hire a vehicle to cover the work for the next day or two or three if it's a major problem and when you get it back you have spent a fortune on a vehicle that is still 200,000km+ just waiting for the next thing to break down....I know...I did it twice before I finally woke up. Hence why our current vehicles are a 2017 Transit Custom, 2017 Renault Trafic and 2016 Territory Titanium.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #26
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

VT Wagons are pretty nice man. I envy those that are lucky enough to rest their heads on pottery beige's rear cargo mattress.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #27
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What types of jobs usually require near perfect looking vehicles

For some people, either by personal choice or because their work requires, their car must always have near perfect presentation. Once things start to look worn, its time to pass it on to someone who doesn't care.
.[/QUOTE]
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #28
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
What types of jobs usually require near perfect looking vehicles

For some people, either by personal choice or because their work requires, their car must always have near perfect presentation.
IMO, business wise, near perfect vehicles usually signify promptness, attention to detail and lots of care taken.

My ol man owned an upholstery / furniture factory (Wedgwood furniture) and had a new Holden wagon every year. As an 11 year old kid I was paid an allowance to keep his cars looking immaculate as he explained that his cars represented the quality of his workmanship.
Every night he would come home then take me out and quote jobs carrying along huge Wilson's fabric sample books (hence the wagon), I remember clients always commenting on how organised he was and how well his cars were kept not knowing the spotty face kid waiting in the car was the chief vehicle detailer.
I got into courier driving for a couple of years where the company requirement was to have a clean vehicle as it reflected the company image as efficient, fast and caring. They had a 10% bonus for keeping your ride that way.

No doubt where I inherited this from.

First thing I look for in a trade or a driver for transporting anything is a tradesman or owner driver with an immaculate truck which usually reflects on the type of person doing the work.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #29
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
IMO, business wise, near perfect vehicles usually signify promptness, attention to detail and lots of care taken.

My ol man owned an upholstery / furniture factory (Wedgwood furniture) and had a new Holden wagon every year. As an 11 year old kid I was paid an allowance to keep his cars looking immaculate as he explained that his cars represented the quality of his workmanship.
Every night he would come home then take me out and quote jobs carrying along huge Wilson's fabric sample books (hence the wagon), I remember clients always commenting on how organised he was and how well his cars were kept not knowing the spotty face kid waiting in the car was the chief vehicle detailer.
I got into courier driving for a couple of years where the company requirement was to have a clean vehicle as it reflected the company image as efficient, fast and caring. They had a 10% bonus for keeping your ride that way.

No doubt where I inherited this from.

First thing I look for in a trade or a driver for transporting anything is a tradesman or owner driver with an immaculate truck which usually reflects on the type of person doing the work.
Damn straight. Any job where the client sees your car the car is part of the uniform. I'd cop it from the boss if I rocked up in an unironed shirt, and if I return from a shift with one of our utes and don't wash and vacuum it, i'll cop a blast for that too.

Unfortunately we don't replace cars every couple years, and wear and tear does show on them, but even just keeping them clean is a big part of the image.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people even buy new cars when there are no warning signs that there is anything wrong with their current car. Crazy.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post