Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default AU i6 & V8 engine oil, what are you using & are you happy with it?

Hi guy's, haven't had a good engine oil discussion in a while so was just wondering what engine oil you are currently using in your AU i6's & V8's atm, is your choice of engine oil performing to your standards & are you happy with it?

I'm using 5/30 Nulon full synth atm in my vct & its good but with summer here now i find its a bit thin around 35deg c where i'm located. Just purchased some Valvoline syn power 5/40 to try out & see how it goes. Hoping for the 5/40 viscosity to be more effective in the summer heat than the 5/30 fingers crossed, there are some guys here on AFF whose opinions i trust who have used the same weight oil in their vct's with great success, so i should be ok.

So what engine oil are you using in your AU's at the moment & is it cutting the mustard this summer? Looking forward to all your replies guy's!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 19-12-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU i6 & V8 engine oil, what are you using & are you happy with it?

what makes you think its a bit thin?
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I wouldnt think the oil to be thin. Im sure when hot you will get atleast 25-30 psi. Connect a pressure gauge and you will know
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

I'm just using Shell HX7, courtesy of the Supercheap $20 sales.
I'm one the run the full 15000km intervals and never had a problem. Coming up to 400000kms now!
Runs good in summer and winter.

I haven't measured the temp of the motor with a fancy thermometer yet, but my guess would be the motor would be running close the same temp summer or winter. Or it thermostat isn't doing its job!
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 02:12 AM   #5
Drecian

I'm using Nulon synthetic 5w30 in my VCT Fairlane. Warm pressure seems OK according to the factory dash gauge. 95% of my driving is inner city traffic, and I run LPG, so the oil doesn't really darken (still pale yellow on the dipstick at 5000km oil change intervals).

My car was owned by oldies from the country most of its 250k life, so the motor's in decent condition and doesn't burn any oil in between changes, so I'll stick with the 5w30.
Old 20-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I use Penrite HPR5 which is 5-40, seems ok all year round.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
what makes you think its a bit thin?
Hi 4vxc, i'm getting a bit of a tac noise on startup but only on stinking hot days, on cold days its fine, quiet as a mouse. Had a look at some oil temp charts & yep the upper end heat range of 5/30 didn't suit the climate where i live hence the one point increase in hot viscosity. Average summer temp on startup here is around 23c, winter is around 5c but on colder mornings can get into minus temps pretty easy!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 20-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
I use Penrite HPR5 which is 5-40, seems ok all year round.
Hi Sox, yeah i borrowed some good advice you gave on a previous old thread about engine oil choices. Considering you live kind've in the same climate as i do i thought your choice of viscosity was spot on for your climate & since it (your climate) is nearly the same as mine the choice of 5/40 will be pretty close to spot on for me too!

cheer's, Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
I wouldnt think the oil to be thin. Im sure when hot you will get atleast 25-30 psi. Connect a pressure gauge and you will know
No loss of oil pressure at all, just the intermittent tac sound on hot morning start up's doh!

cheer's Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
No loss of oil pressure at all, just the intermittent tac sound on hot morning start up's doh!

cheer's Maka
That can be the drain back valve in the oil filter.
So long as it goes away quickly I wouldn't worry at all.
Old 20-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni View Post
I'm just using Shell HX7, courtesy of the Supercheap $20 sales.
I'm one the run the full 15000km intervals and never had a problem. Coming up to 400000kms now!
Runs good in summer and winter.

I haven't measured the temp of the motor with a fancy thermometer yet, but my guess would be the motor would be running close the same temp summer or winter. Or it thermostat isn't doing its job!
Hi Evgeni, how are ya mate! i'll definitively know what to use when my engine hits 400k lol! Funny you mention the thermostat, my temp gauge sits on 88c on warmish days then comes up to 92c on hot days. I dont think i'm running the stock thermostat, its slightly colder, been fine so far.

cheer's, Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
That can be the drain back valve in the oil filter.
So long as it goes away quickly I wouldn't worry at all.
Thanks for that Sox. Yep, brand new ryco used everytime too lol, i was thinking the oil was a bit thin on hot morning startup because anything under 23c i dont get the tac, but yep it go's away quickly too though. Maybe just a one off with the filter, next oil / filter change will show what the go is.

cheer's, Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drecian View Post
I'm using Nulon synthetic 5w30 in my VCT Fairlane. Warm pressure seems OK according to the factory dash gauge. 95% of my driving is inner city traffic, and I run LPG, so the oil doesn't really darken (still pale yellow on the dipstick at 5000km oil change intervals).

My car was owned by oldies from the country most of its 250k life, so the motor's in decent condition and doesn't burn any oil in between changes, so I'll stick with the 5w30.
Hi Drecian, sounds like the Nulon suits your requirements nicely, i would stick with too if its doing a good job & your happy with it!

cheer's, Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #14
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Cold starts, be it warm or cool climate, wouldn't be affected by the warm viscosity of the oil.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Cold starts, be it warm or cool climate, wouldn't be affected by the warm viscosity of the oil.
Hi FPV GTHO, that's right, but tried a 10/30 synth & same thing in cooler conditions ie tac tac. Threw in the 5/30 & was really good & quiet on startup till the weather started getting a lot hotter. On cooler summer days no tac tac noise on startup with 5/30 either.

Fast flowing Nulon also means fast warm up times from cold, had a look at some oil temp charts & tbh for my location in summer nulon synth 30 weight is a little too thin for application imo. Will try the Valvoline with new filter & go from there.

cheer's, Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #16
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

cheer's Maka
I also have the brief tac sound on start up usually when the oil is getting close to it's drain time. Had it since new and according to Ford is was/is a lazy lifter and that was 14 years ago with no change better or worse. I use Everyday Driving 10W-30 Penrite at present.

cheers

Bill
Old 20-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
I also have the brief tac sound on start up usually when the oil is getting close to it's drain time. Had it since new and according to Ford is was/is a lazy lifter and that was 14 years ago with no change better or worse. I use Everyday Driving 10W-30 Penrite at present.

cheers

Bill
Hi Bill & thanks for the info mate, very much appreciated! Maybe the Nulon is worn out already (only around 3800km on it though!) because it had to work harder, 30 weight being not enough for my hot summer conditions & now at startup the starting viscosity is at 3 perhaps? Mmm,

cheer's, Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #18
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I think you'd know about it if it had gotten that thin when cold.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #19
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I think you'd know about it if it had gotten that thin when cold.
Yep not wrong mate, but then again you would think it would be quiet too even at a viscosity of 3 at startup? Its getting changed out asap like this arvo when it cools down a bit. Nulon fast flow, fast heat up is good if the operating temp range of the oil is suitable, not in my case though imo.

cheer's, Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #20
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Mineral oils get thicker with age e.g a 5w30 will head towards an SAE 30. Synthetic oils however dont thin and hold their viscosity. However the additive packages are depleted if the oil could be cleaned and additive pack restored you theoretically would never need to change the synthetic oil.

As for cold starts yes they will be effected by the warm weight of an oil because for example at 30 deg c a 5w-40 oil is thicker than the 5w-30 oil.

You cant really compare the winter rating of the oil across different hot viscosity. E.g 0w40 vs 5w40 vs 10w40 vs 15w40 and then to compare 0w30 vs 5w30 vs 10w30 etc.

As for your issue its not really an oil thickness more so oil draining away from places it needs to be. The 5w30 still offers better startup protection and ample hot protection for that engine especially when it is not seeing a race track where high oil temps become prevalent, on the road oil temp usually follows coolant temp.

This is pasted from the S/C 5.0 Thread - Note the winter rating doesnt mean the oil is same viscosity when cold as its affecting by the viscosity at 100 deg C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
As you can see below, Edge 5-30 has a quite higher viscosity to 5W-20 at 40 deg C.

Also included is the Penrite 5W-20 to show this could be a good alternative to Edge 5W-20.

Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 synthetic

Viscosity at 40 deg C = 71.4 cSt
Viscosity at 100 deg C = 12.0 cSt

Castrol Edge 5W-20 semi synthetic (developed for 5.0 s/c miami)

Viscosity at 40 deg C = 49.0 cSt
Viscosity at 100 deg C = 8.3 cSt

Penrite Enviro 5W-20 synthetic

Viscosity at 40 deg C = 48.94 cSt
Viscosity at 100 deg C = 8.63 cSt
Old 20-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #21
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Mineral oils get thicker with age e.g a 5w30 will head towards an SAE 30. Synthetic oils however dont thin and hold their viscosity. However the additive packages are depleted if the oil could be cleaned and additive pack restored you theoretically would never need to change the synthetic oil.

As for cold starts yes they will be effected by the warm weight of an oil because for example at 30 deg c a 5w-40 oil is thicker than the 5w-30 oil.

You cant really compare the winter rating of the oil across different hot viscosity. E.g 0w40 vs 5w40 vs 10w40 vs 15w40 and then to compare 0w30 vs 5w30 vs 10w30 etc.

As for your issue its not really an oil thickness more so oil draining away from places it needs to be. The 5w30 still offers better startup protection and ample hot protection for that engine especially when it is not seeing a race track where high oil temps become prevalent, on the road oil temp usually follows coolant temp.

This is pasted from the S/C 5.0 Thread - Note the winter rating doesnt mean the oil is same viscosity when cold as its affecting by the viscosity at 100 deg C.
Great post 99AUXR!!! Definitely makes sense to me & clears things up, though because of the mileage on the motor (216,xxx) I will try the 5/40 next & see how it goes, if the syn power don't work out, a semi synth is on the cards next but not a too fast flowing one hey!

cheer's, Maka

Old 20-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #22
99AUXR
Brad

No worries oils and their multigrade ratings can be a bit difficult to understand however once you get your head around it, its good
Old 20-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #23
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi 4vxc, i'm getting a bit of a tac noise on startup but only on stinking hot days, on cold days its fine, quiet as a mouse. Had a look at some oil temp charts & yep the upper end heat range of 5/30 didn't suit the climate where i live hence the one point increase in hot viscosity. Average summer temp on startup here is around 23c, winter is around 5c but on colder mornings can get into minus temps pretty easy!

cheer's, Maka
I had a 07 BF that always made that noise on start up I used Castrol Edge from the first service onwards the noise was always the same. At 105,000km's I switched to Penrite HPR5 and no more noise, completely gone!
I also have a FG that had a slight tick on startup, just did the 15,000km service using HPR5 again no noise.
For what its worth my AU11 Fairlane has 79,000km's and has been using HPR10 and is nice and quite also.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
I had a 07 BF that always made that noise on start up I used Castrol Edge from the first service onwards the noise was always the same. At 105,000km's I switched to Penrite HPR5 and no more noise, completely gone!
I also have a FG that had a slight tick on startup, just did the 15,000km service using HPR5 again no noise.
For what its worth my AU11 Fairlane has 79,000km's and has been using HPR10 and is nice and quite also.
Thanks for the heads up 4vxc! Have heard nothing but praise for the HPR5, sounds like its good stuff mate! I know it was a semi synth, but now full synth, definitely worth considering down the track for sure!

cheer's, Maka

Old 21-12-2015, 12:05 AM   #25
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

5L Fairlane
i am using 10w30 according to what my glove box book recommends.
Must be a oil for diesel as well for example :

SN/CF

not SN alone or CF alone

Double check your book too for this

I am using 10w30 Royal purple HPS atm the moment no issues

I have used Penrite 10w50 and 5w40 full syn in the past no issues.

Always use a new Z9 and sump plug washer
Old 21-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #26
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCII40 View Post
5L Fairlane
i am using 10w30 according to what my glove box book recommends.
Must be a oil for diesel as well for example :

SN/CF

not SN alone or CF alone

Double check your book too for this

I am using 10w30 Royal purple HPS atm the moment no issues

I have used Penrite 10w50 and 5w40 full syn in the past no issues.

Always use a new Z9 and sump plug washer
Thanks for your reply NCII40!!! I always use a new Ryco oil filter every oil change, its cheap insurance for your motor as is frequent fresh oil changes.

"SN/CF

not SN alone or CF alone"- can you please explain this for the less savvy home diy's please?

cheer's, Maka

Old 21-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #27
99AUXR
Brad

SN/CF is more or less the generation or oil. We have moved all the way up from SH SL SM etc etc. I think The SAE set requirements that the next generation of oil needs to be and deem if an oil meets that specification. AFAIK the rating takes a lot of characteristics of the oil e.g its ability to resist thickening with age.

I think the current spec is SN.

Heres something I found notice how the SN beats the older SM spec everywhere.

Quote:
The API SN category is an improvement over the API SM category in the following areas:
•High temperature deposit protection for pistons
•Better sludge control
•Better seal compatibility
•Aftertreatment compatibility
http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/api-sn.php

Motor oils are a funny thing and if you want to have a better understanding of them go through motor oil 101-109 on this forum. ITs motor oil explained relatively deeply but in layman's terms, enjoy

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #28
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Thanks for that 99AUXR, you explained the ratings beautifully mate!!! I hope people reading this thread will come away with some motor oil info to help them out with their mighty AU's!!!

cheer's, Maka

Old 21-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #29
T MAN

i was running penrite hpr10 10w50 in my 220 kw xr8, the engine loves it, reasonably quiet on start up and holds oil pressure in the heat..
ive now upgraded to penrite hpr15 15w60, only because ive gone forced induction and it gets pushed harder than before, again still quiet on start up and holds good oil pressure when hot...
T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #30
99AUXR
Brad

Do you have cold idle and warm idle oil pressure readings?

Just wondering as when its cold most the oil is probably going through the bypass circuit. That oil has 175 cSt @ 40 deg C and 23.9 cSt at 100 deg C. Just wondering why you have gone so thick. To thick and you will have issues for the above reason. When you accelerate instead of pushing oil through the galleries it will by pass causing oil starvation.

Oil pressure readings will give you a good idea, whereas noise isnt really