Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Juzman

Default Bizarre door lock problem

Hi guys,

this issue has been driving me nuts. Rear Passenger door won't lock, makes a whirring noise when it tries to lock. So replaced the actuator (from a BA wagon). Still didn't fix the problem - it still won't lock (doesn't make whirring noise any more though).

However here's the weird thing, when I lock the car (3 doors will lock) but pull up the handle of the dodgy unlocked door, all the doors will then unlock. So doesn't this mean the actuator is 50% working, just not the locking part?

Does this sound like a "too hard basket" case... should I just pull the little metal rod out and leave it unopenable from the outside like it has been for 2 years... or pay lots of money and take it to a mechanic.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Justin

Juzman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Malfunctioning actuators will still unlock. As unlocking lifts the rod manually as opposed to the motor in the actuator locking it down.

But in saying that, usually when one actuator fails, it defaults to unlocking all doors and the horn sounds (when you use the remote). So maybe it has something to do with the actual locker/closer itself, ie the part that latches onto the car.

But first and foremost, does it do this when you lock the car with the key?
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi Using a Ba actuator in an AU might not work as expected as ford made changes to the wiring at different times and even though they look the same they may need a harness adapter to make it work or it may be a faulty second hand one? Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

disconnect the inside door handle and lock the car, if the back door locks ill find some pics of how i repaired mine...

the cable wasnt returning far enough after opening the inside handle so it was like someone was holding the inside handle slightly open (preventing it from locking)

Cheers Cam

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Juzman

Thanks for the tips

Cam - I did what you said and it does indeed lock, so it might be a similar problem to what you experienced, how did you fix it in the end?

Cheers
Justin
Old 08-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Also check the snipper rod is not bent.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman
Thanks for the tips

Cam - I did what you said and it does indeed lock, so it might be a similar problem to what you experienced, how did you fix it in the end?

Cheers
Justin
just had a look for the photos i took but they've disappeared...
from what i remember:
the part thats causing the problem is the part that unlocks your doors when you open the inside door handle(if theyve been locked while your inside)

if you take your door trim off and pull the whole actuator out, connect door the cable and have a look at how it works, i trimmed down a little white plastic arm that was sticking out and hitting a little black plastic arm when the car tried to lock preventing it from locking. if you cut to much off the car wont unlock when the inside door handle is pulled...

Cheers Cam

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
djkelly69
Starter Motor

Hey Juzman

Just wondering if you sorted out this problem, as I am having the exact same issue - whirring from rear passenger door when locking, doors appear locked, but if you pull the handle on the rear passenger door it unlocks all of them!

I have a BA Fairmont Ghia if that helps.
djkelly69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd suggest getting the eight actuator it's just the white worm gear that snapped so get the gear from the wreckers and put it in your au actuator
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Such a common AU problem =( .. I think i've gone through about 5 door altenators =(
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Juzman

I didn't end up fixing it... I replaced the actuator (stopped the whirring noise) but still wouldn't lock... pulled everything apart, can't work out why. I can only assume it's some sort of signal malfunction?

This back door has been a nightmare, I've given up and just pulled the rod out so it can only be opened from the inside

I've spent too much time on it for no result.
Old 19-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Give this a try Juzman, easy to do - find where the wiring exits the door and goes into the centre pillar thingo through a rubber gromit. Pull the rubber gromit out with wiring and you should find an electrical connector in there. Check the connector. I found my connector all corroded, and one of the wires hanging by a single strand. So there was power flowing to the door, but under high resistance, so not enough power to move the actuator enough.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
rosebush

did you open up the actutor and check the white worm gear hasnt snapped?
rosebush is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #14
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bizarre door lock problem

I have the same problem i just bought a ford futura 2002 model but i can't get the doors to lock when i lock it at the driver side only the two front doors lock. Does anyone know if i can get hold of a working automatic locking system that attaches to the car if it might fix the problem? Also does anyone know how to speed up the idle my car tends to stall because it is idling too slow but no actual ford manual addresses this problem. any advice would be awesomely appreciated
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #15
laaata
Starter Motor

I had the white cog snap so I replaced it but it still wouldnt lock. I could hear it working but not locking. Then I purchased a new actuator from ebay for $35 and installed it & the same problem, wouldnt lock (tried to lock with remote & the key) On the new actuator the "child lock" plastic lever wouldnt move so I removed the actuator and pushed the white plastic lever that the inside door lever cable attaches to towards the locking mechanism. Once I did this the child lock lever flicked up and down correctly, I installed the actuator again and the central locking works.
Maybe this helps someone
John
laaata is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #16
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A bit of a thread mine but an idea that worked is always welcome.
I also check the door rubber as this can effect the door closing as well
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #17
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
A bit of a thread mine but an idea that worked is always welcome.
I also check the door rubber as this can effect the door closing as well

as in the back - yes
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post