Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #151
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving - Your "pet hate" on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Indicating your intention to exit a roundabout isnt about law, its about common coutesy to others and its hardly surprising courtesy to others is something Victorians would struggle with.
Roundabouts are designed to aid traffic flow, traffic flows better when everyone is clear with their intentions.
One of the things ive noticed lately at roundabouts is the unnecessary speed at which the modern motoist without a second to spare enters them, resulting in understeer and subsequently excessive and maintained steering angle with a late reef on the wheel in the opposite direction to exit.

When im driving a coach the ability to maintain momentum with caution is important from a passenger comfort and vehicle wear and tear perspective, i dont want my punters bounced around as i jump on and off the throttle/brake, nor do i need to wind up from a stand still when it was completely avoidable with a little courtesy.

In a situation where im approaching a roundabout with good visibility my tactic is to scan for vehicles approaching from my right and opposite, if the vehicle approaching from my right is indicating left i know i can all but rule out the need to stop whilst maintaining caution, if they dont indicate, or indicate right i assume they have right of way and will adjust my speed to merge after them or stop if necessary, its only when they approach the roundabout without indicating left, causing me to assume they are intending to go straight through, i therefore adjust accordingly only for them to go left and leave me slowed or stopped for nothing.
Same to for vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, if they dont indicate left on approach i assume they are a going either straight ahead or right across my path minus the appropriate right turn indicator. Some will say why indicate left to exit, well, if you drove a heavy vehicle you'd appreciate that you learn to read the body language of other vehicles, if youre approaching me from opposite, fly into the roundabout and are still hard on the right lock to control your subsequent understeer and dont indicate your intention to exit to my right i will assume youre one of those who dont need indicators to turn right and i will find myself stopped unnecessarily out of caution . Flick that left indicator on as you pass the previous exit and im more inclined to believe you and go about my business as a roundabout allows.

A roundabout in peak hour traffic whilst behind the wheel of a sometimes slow, heavy vehicle is at or close too being the moment of greatest risk because unlike light vehicles, we cant just duck through that little gap, we need good warning so we can negotiate safely and without holding anyone up unnecessarily because one thing is a certainty, find yourself inconvenienced by that slow moving vehicle just trying to tip toe amongst you and even if youve contributed through your own lack of courtesy, you will throw all your toys from the cot.
There's a small roundabout going into my kids high school, if the bus is trying to get out I always signal them through, why? because its courtesy and getting the bus out of the roundabout also helps overall traffic flow
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #152
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to live near the 'Magic Roundabout'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVeAhmvNFIU

The English manage to use this effectively using indicators and driving manuals at the same time.. its not difficult
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #153
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Buses that when leaving a stop mash the throttle and their right indicator at the exact same time. Or worse when they don’t indicate and just pull into traffic.
I’m happy to give way but give us some warning.
Totally agreed with regard to public transport drivers. Since our Government gave them right of way on re entering traffic in order to maintain their timetable schedules this has become an issue and quite dangerous.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2021, 01:02 PM   #154
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone else on the road.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #155
Qld-RTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
What about Caravanners?

A member wanted shot which is harsh.

However with my new girl trip Caravan doing 50 in 100 zone......heading down to Port Arthur.

There's slow pull off lanes........nup.

Met him after and I was respectful but your driving a disgrace and disrepectful.

Answer.

I couldn't GAF and I'm 76 and and I'll do what I want.
Exactly why I have my attitude towards the senile geriatrc old farts. It might be harsh, but clearly the kid glove approach isnt working...
Qld-RTV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-03-2021, 10:48 PM   #156
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qld-RTV View Post
Exactly why I have my attitude towards the senile geriatrc old farts. It might be harsh, but clearly the kid glove approach isnt working...
Yep it took all my strength not to get angry.

The road to Port Arthur has pull over spots for that exact reason as traffic builds quickly behind slow vehicles. (single lane mostly)

Was so frustrating but he didn't care less so no point really........just a bit disapppinting

Last edited by MercuryT; 01-03-2021 at 10:54 PM.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2021, 11:03 PM   #157
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
If practicable, then yes I would, and a lot depends on the roundabout, the objective is to notify others that they are free to enter the roundabout, which allows better traffic flow.
It's not practicable to indicate left on exit of typical small 4 way roundabouts when going straight through (or 'second' exit)

Do it on big multi exit roundabouts when you're jumping off at an exit, on your left.

Otherwise it's not practiced within VIC and frankly good riddance we don't need anymore BS crap road rules that do nothing.

Needs to be less rules, not more
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2021, 11:17 PM   #158
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
It's not practicable to indicate left on exit of typical small 4 way roundabouts when going straight through (or 'second' exit)
You're right we don't.............neither does Plod.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:38 PM   #159
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

This has been on my mind over the weekend, so I really paid attention to the roundabouts on my way in to work this morning... And I went for an extended drive home, through them multiple times keeping an eye on other cars the whole time. I've circled the roundabouts here, notice the large one, they had to install traffic lights on the "smaller" horizontal roads in the picture, because... Roundabouts don't always really work:

I was ready to start indicating left out of the many I pass through, just waiting for someone, anyone, to do it first.

Nah, no-one does it in Canberra. Except JC, and I don't mind that.

When in Rome though.
JasonACT is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2021, 11:51 PM   #160
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I like the Soviet era Russian ones, where the tram just goes through the middle.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2021, 12:00 AM   #161
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I like the Soviet era Russian ones, where the tram just goes through the middle.
There's a couple of those in Melbourne

Haymarket Roundabout, affectionately known as the 'roundabout of death' has a couple tram stops inside it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_roundabout

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...16-gxxtbj.html

Also roundabout in Essendon the tram goes through the middle of it:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...ca80960c753b26

https://philipmallis.com/blog/2019/1...-of-melbourne/

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-03-2021 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:08 AM   #162
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I should add how they don't work...

Morning:
<----
^
|

Afternoon:
---->
|
v

And with this set-up, anyone trying to do late night Friday shopping in my suburbs (entering left, going right) is totally blocked by people going south on their way home because the traffic lights are not at all balanced.

Same people who made up those rules then.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #163
JasonACT
Away on leave

(I'm sure I meant entering from the right, going left )
Old 02-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #164
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
This has been on my mind over the weekend, so I really paid attention to the roundabouts on my way in to work this morning... And I went for an extended drive home, through them multiple times keeping an eye on other cars the whole time. I've circled the roundabouts here, notice the large one, they had to install traffic lights on the "smaller" horizontal roads in the picture, because... Roundabouts don't always really work:

I was ready to start indicating left out of the many I pass through, just waiting for someone, anyone, to do it first.

When in Rome though.
The funny part is that actually used to be a proper intersection with lights. Then they tore it up and put the roundabout, then now the part times lights. Every other interection north has lights.

Some weird **** they do
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #165
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

People not using indicators and people going through red lights. JFC - no excuses for either.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:36 PM   #166
MercuryT
Banned

I should have named this thread "pet hate on roundabouts and caravanners"....haha
Old 02-03-2021, 10:38 PM   #167
MercuryT
Banned

Ok I have another.

People stopping on a main St waiting to collect a partner or guest. Put hazard lights on.............

Happens here all the time!!
Old 03-03-2021, 12:02 AM   #168
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post

When in Rome though.

What about the one at William Slim Drive with Traffic Lights..???
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #169
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Taxi drivers running reds in Melbourne CBD when you're attempting hook turns is good to keep an eye on
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #170
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Taxi drivers running reds in Melbourne CBD when you're attempting hook turns is good to keep an eye on
Down here taxi drivers have to be watched at all times regardless.

The state of their vehicles says plenty........bumps and scratches all of them!!
Old 03-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #171
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

I am a lot calmer these days, but right lane hoggers do my head in !!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #172
MercuryT
Banned

Had a jacked up Landcruiser flew up behind me today.

So high all I could see in rear view was his bumper bar as so close.

Was actually scary so even though doing 100 in a 90 zone (yeah I kmow) i pulled over just to let him go as not worth it
Old 03-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #173
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Getting undercut by impatient ****ers of all kinds.
Today i had a 45 seat coach full of kids heading back to school, coming along our fancy South rd overpass and entering the new northern connector im minding my business in the left lane doing 90k as posted, as you join the connector an extra lane is added coming off the port river expressway, so once the solid white line ends i check for traffic in the added 3rd lane, see its clear and indicate to move to the far left lane just before it opens up to 110k and i make a nuisence of myself speed limited to 100k.
Im just putting my left hand wheels over the lane markings when some flog in a Camerons B double decides he wants the lane and the next thing im swerving back to the middle lane to avoid becoming victim of a pitt manouvre at 100k with kids onboard.
Fair dinkum that is seriously dangerous, he must have already been doing well over the allowed 90 as no sooner did i catch a glimpse of his bullbar darting out from behind me, he was half way up the side, if i didnt react, or was focussed on the traffic infront having already indicated my intention and checked for right of way, it would have been ugly.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #174
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

the nupty that has to change lanes when pulling up to a red light, only because there is 1 car length there when they are there. No regard for who is trying to pull up behind them.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:35 PM   #175
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s when the laser hidden in your grille etches the rear bumper of their car.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2021, 10:02 PM   #176
JasonACT
Away on leave

Because I've got one...

Edit!

Last edited by JasonACT; 03-03-2021 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Edit: Don't give me ideas CB! (I mustn't install it! <-- mustn't LOL)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:44 PM   #177
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Ok I have another.

People stopping on a main St waiting to collect a partner or guest. Put hazard lights on.............

Happens here all the time!!
This does my head in. Now in Newcastle the main street in town has a tram up the middle so there no no longer any parking and only one lane for road vehicles. Morons always think it's ok to stop in a flowing lane to pick up and drop off as they please.

2 lanes going the same way, traffic is heavy but flowing at the limit. Some moron sitting 1m behind you changes into the other lane, floors it then attempts to merge in front of you. Like getting a car ahead makes a difference.
Some clown attempted to do this to me on approach to the Hexham bridge today. He had a hissy fit when I didn't allow him to merge back in front of me.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #178
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The people exiting a carpark or a servo onto a main road that feel its OK to pull in front of you because they are turning at the next side street.
They force you to slow down (nobody behind me but it's too long to wait for me to pass) and then brake again a moment later to turn off.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #179
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Another - merge bandits, esp. those that cause the traffic jam that they are pushing in to avoid.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #180
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Getting undercut by impatient ****ers of all kinds.
Today i had a 45 seat coach full of kids heading back to school, coming along our fancy South rd overpass and entering the new northern connector im minding my business in the left lane doing 90k as posted, as you join the connector an extra lane is added coming off the port river expressway, so once the solid white line ends i check for traffic in the added 3rd lane, see its clear and indicate to move to the far left lane just before it opens up to 110k and i make a nuisence of myself speed limited to 100k.
Im just putting my left hand wheels over the lane markings when some flog in a Camerons B double decides he wants the lane and the next thing im swerving back to the middle lane to avoid becoming victim of a pitt manouvre at 100k with kids onboard.
Fair dinkum that is seriously dangerous, he must have already been doing well over the allowed 90 as no sooner did i catch a glimpse of his bullbar darting out from behind me, he was half way up the side, if i didnt react, or was focussed on the traffic infront having already indicated my intention and checked for right of way, it would have been ugly.
Yeah that's just so wrong in so many ways.

Must be so frustrating for you mate.