Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #361
MercuryT
Banned

Default Re: KIA - Would you buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
They have them here in SA too. From someone I know, they are tuned too.
Ok mate I knew highway patrol vehicles but undercover in SA too?

(yeah this Stinger was lower so not surprised if tuned too.)
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2021, 07:31 PM   #362
MercuryT
Banned

The Officer would love stalking around in a very fast Stinger whilst knowing outside the little Comms antenna impossible to tell....
Old 18-02-2021, 07:39 PM   #363
nstg8a

I keep seeing a new Kia Sorrento on the commute over the last week or so, must admit it’s a handsome looking suv. It’s a deep blue and quite euro looking IMO.

I’d own it.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #364
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I keep seeing a new Kia Sorrento on the commute over the last week or so, must admit it’s a handsome looking suv. It’s a deep blue and quite euro looking IMO.

I’d own it.
The new Sorento is a great package.

But I'm a little worried about their advertising... they are hammering in the fact it's a full sized large SUV.

I was hoping they would finally bring the Teluride out here but seems not if they are calling this their large offering.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2021, 08:47 PM   #365
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

But I'm a little worried about their advertising... they are hammering in the fact it's a full sized large SUV.

I was hoping they would finally bring the Teluride out here but seems not if they are calling this their large offering.

I really like the new Sorento, it has great road presence.

Talking to a Kia salesman the other day at work, apparently orders are now out to 6+ months.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2021, 11:07 PM   #366
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sportage is now 9 months old with 23k on the clock, nothing has broken, nothing has needed attention at service time, just nice. All 5 on the fleet are the same.Total opposite of my Holden experience.
Sadly I’m handing it back in 2 weeks when I finish up my employment, my next new Kia will be bought with my own money.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 19-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #367
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

My mums 2018 Sportage GT Line has been the same. Trouble free. She doesnt drive it as much as she should but it gives her the independence she wants when she needs to go out. I was never a fan of the front appearance. But that is just me.

I don't mind the new Sorrento shape. Certainly has a better appeal than the rounded shape it replaced.

If I was to buy a Kia, the Stinger GT with the twin turbo 6 would be the go for me. As far as an SUV is concerned, the new Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander looks the business.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #368
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

it sure is a good question would you buy one......and many are obviously.
They are a good car now that they have carved their footprint and with Hyundai set the cat amongst the pigeons re Introducing good WTYS etc that the opposition/s have finally had to follow good on them.
The model range is getting complete for the average motorist I like that, they are competing well towards the TOY monster and all.
As for me personally - I'd get one for the wife IF she wanted X model but for me I still couldn't decide flat yes I'll get that X model over another brand.
I juggled up mid last year over a new daily - i30N coupe was really in the mix and a low k Stinger BUT I just couldn't do it - I'm not against them BUT I felt the brain cells going YES to a low k BM wagon instead.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #369
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

KIA is to Hyundai what Toyota is to Lexus, an affordable, reliable, tried and proven combination.
They dont need state of the art drivelines, getting the job done without fuss is their game and they do it well with industry leading backup.
Once you get over brand snobbery, you can learn to appreciate the black oval.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #370
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
KIA is to Hyundai what Toyota is to Lexus, an affordable, reliable, tried and proven combination.
They dont need state of the art drivelines, getting the job done without fuss is their game and they do it well with industry leading backup.
Once you get over brand snobbery, you can learn to appreciate the black oval.
If the front styling of the new Sorrento & Seltos are anything to go by, I reckon they should sell a few more. As I mentioned before, I was never a fan of their grille and front styling cues of the previous models, but I think they have nailed it with the latest adaptation as far as Im concerned.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #371
blueoval
Critical Thinker

The Sorrento GT Line has some pretty impressive features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhYcVKISreE

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #372
MercuryT
Banned

Saw the same Stinger today......had an Xr T pulled over.......haha

Hope he/she was gentle and Dr driver doing nothing too stupid (P Plates)
Old 13-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #373
Swordie

I hired a Kia Cerato Sedan 2.0L auto in Sydney for a few days recently. In summary I was very impressed.

The car had a big boot to fit all the luggage and enough grunt around town. It has decent interior with good space, functionality and finish.

I liked how the Android Auto just worked. I plugged my Samsung in and was able to use Google Maps to get around town on the cars display (very important for Sydney navigation). The stereo had DAB with very good reception and decent sound. I think it has JBL speakers. The stereo sounded better than the last of premium Falcon and Commodores.

Kia has done a good job of tuning the suspension for Australian roads. It handles well and is still quite comfortable.

I wouldn’t mind having a drive of the Cerato GT with the 1.6L 150kw turbo plus the Stingers (both 4cyl and 6cyl).
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #374
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your saying Hyundai is Kia's luxury Division?? lol... Doubtful... They are competitors who happen to be owned by the same company..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

We have had our MY21 Sorento GT Line since october and its an awesome package. Surprises the hell out of me if I'm honest.. Soon as we saw it and sat in it we where sold... Biggest problem is availability and lead time.. we where luck and got in early so only waited 4 weeks (we scored the exact car we wanted on the dealers first order on the water) but now its 6 months plus.. They have even started sourcing from other RHD markets to try to fill demand..

As for Telluride, apparently main reason it isnt here is that even though the Palisade is its sister car (same platform, etc) its sourced from Korea, so right-hand-drive is not an issue for Hyundai AU to source. The Telluride is produced in the USA and is apparently flat-out keeping up with American demand to even consider RHD...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #375
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Your saying Hyundai is Kia's luxury Division?? lol... Doubtful... They are competitors who happen to be owned by the same company..
Exactly.

Lexus is to Toyota what Genesis is to Hyundai. Kia doesn't actually have a luxury offshoot.

Quote:
We have had our MY21 Sorento GT Line since october and its an awesome package. Surprises the hell out of me if I'm honest.. Soon as we saw it and sat in it we where sold... Biggest problem is availability and lead time.. we where luck and got in early so only waited 4 weeks (we scored the exact car we wanted on the dealers first order on the water) but now its 6 months plus.. They have even started sourcing from other RHD markets to try to fill demand..

As for Telluride, apparently main reason it isnt here is that even though the Palisade is its sister car (same platform, etc) its sourced from Korea, so right-hand-drive is not an issue for Hyundai AU to source. The Telluride is produced in the USA and is apparently flat-out keeping up with American demand to even consider RHD...
Glad you are impressed with the Sorento. I read the same thing re the Palisade / Telluride.

I'm looking to upgrade soon and am wanting a full sized SUV - The GV80 is a little out of my price range but perhaps a demo or near new used example may tempt me. I just can't get over the side glass after the C pillar - it kills me because it screams cheaper Hyundai and makes the vehicle look much smaller.

The Palisade doesn't do it for me visually. The Telluride's more boxy stance works well. A few reviews in the US seem to agree - Telluride body with Palisade interior would be a perfect combination.

Apparently the Koreans are also toying with the idea of a direct Landcruiser competitor with full chassis, 8 seats and proper 4x4 running gear.

Throw in the 3L Diesel from the GV80 with their sharp pricing, known reliability and great warranty and they may be onto a winner.

Will hold onto my I30 a little bit longer.

I was keen on the new Outlander while waiting - till they said no Diesel. They can go jump.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #376
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Your saying Hyundai is Kia's luxury Division?? lol... Doubtful... They are competitors who happen to be owned by the same company...
Umm, no, i dont recall using the word luxury, i do recall pointing to affordability, reliability, tried and proven , everything Toyota benefits from having a more expensive sister brand from which it derives its equipment, as does Kia from Hyundai.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #377
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my 2015 cerato has been 100% reliable since i bought it (new) replaced the battery a few months ago after 5 years, to be expected. Has all the fruit apple and android, reverse cam, satnav parking sensors, good aircond. Stereo could be louder and a lot of grey plastic, but at the price with 7 yr w/tee they have to save somewhere.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #378
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I like the look of the stingers, but from what a HWP officer told me a couple of weekends back they're not suited to anyone over about 5'10
Old 14-03-2021, 06:30 PM   #379
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default KIA - Would you buy one?

Quote:
Umm, no, i dont recall using the word luxury, i do recall pointing to affordability, reliability, tried and proven , everything Toyota benefits from having a more expensive sister brand from which it derives its equipment, as does Kia from Hyundai.

The only reason Lexus exists is to be Toyota's luxury car division. The correct analogy when comparing Toyota to Lexus is comparing Hyundai to Genesis, Honda to Acura or Nissan to Infinity.

With the new (MQ4) Sorento, it was actually Kia who got the new Platform first, followed by Hyundai with the new Santa Fe released recently. Of course the 2 will share certain things, they also differ... but to say Kia is the Poor little brother isn’t really true.

But anyway, agree to disagree I suppose

Last edited by Big_Daz; 14-03-2021 at 06:40 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #380
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I'd like to know how many have had to go back to the dealer to use their 7yr warranty and what it was for?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-03-2021, 08:50 PM   #381
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd like to know how many have had to go back to the dealer to use their 7yr warranty and what it was for?
THis year marks 7 years (2014) since they introduced the 7 year warranty. Would love to hear how many of the 2014 cars have used it the last few years...

Old 14-03-2021, 10:00 PM   #382
xb74_black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
I like the look of the stingers, but from what a HWP officer told me a couple of weekends back they're not suited to anyone over about 5'10
As someone just shy of 6'5 this has ruined many dream car experiences
xb74_black is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2021, 10:09 PM   #383
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

No thanks, over priced.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #384
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
No thanks, over priced.
As opposed to.......?
Old 15-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #385
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I personally think the latest Kia and Hyundai have to offer are great value for money compared to some of the more up market brands. Spec levels, tech, safety, warranty and value all rolled into 1. Some reviewers are saying the Korean brands can 'almost' rival some of the Euro brands in that regard. How much of that is true is yet to be seen. But from where I am sitting and what research I have personally done, the gap is a lot closer than it once was.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #386
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I personally think the latest Kia and Hyundai have to offer are great value for money compared to some of the more up market brands. Spec levels, tech, safety, warranty and value all rolled into 1. Some reviewers are saying the Korean brands can 'almost' rival some of the Euro brands in that regard. How much of that is true is yet to be seen. But from where I am sitting and what research I have personally done, the gap is a lot closer than it once was.
Probably,overall economics such as cost vs resale, reliabilty, servcing and parts cost possibly put the Koreans ahead of the Euros.One thing still against the Koreans is the Euro badge snobbery
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2021, 05:13 PM   #387
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Probably,overall economics such as cost vs resale, reliabilty, servcing and parts cost possibly put the Koreans ahead of the Euros.One thing still against the Koreans is the Euro badge snobbery
Agree. Perception is the ugliest factor.

I remember when Subaru/Mazda was considered rubbish early on. Different story now. (some diehards I know still rubbish the brand)

I guess it depends which neighbor/family member/friend/colleague or past nobody you want to impress the most and whether or not you want them to care.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #388
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Ha, would suit me perfectly.

The subaru outback we asked for at work has fallen off the fleet providers list. Most of the utes/suv wagons remain, but in updating the list i see the stinger is a recent addition, in both 4 and 6 cylinder versions.

Just got to persuade the team it would meet our needs, and that we dont need a big, lumbering 7 seater suv. Most of the time its just 2 or 3 people, tops, plus any kit. I cant think of anyone who is particularly tall....

Ute tragic.

Last edited by anobserver; 15-03-2021 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Afterthought
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #389
gilly2497
Starter Motor

Don't believe what you you read on the internet .. we use stingers at work and 6'2 driver has no issues (tallest bloke we have) fitting and driving comfortably. Police don't "tune" cars and if you have ever driven a Stinger you don't really need to, plus police wouldn't do anything to void the warranty.
gilly2497 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #390
Bossxr8
Peter Car

https://www.caradvice.com.au/941016/...-ho-sung-song/

Stinger has been granted a stay of execution till 2024, then goneski. Won't be replaced. Been a sales failure.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post