Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #1
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The WORST Falcon model, and why.

Ba falcon for me, besides the awesome turbo barra it was absolute junk. Stranded me on the side of the road 4 times in 40 000kms. Has put me off modern falcons for good.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #2
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Ba falcon for me, besides the awesome turbo barra it was absolute junk. Stranded me on the side of the road 4 times in 40 000kms. Has put me off modern falcons for good.
Yep. And I (stupidly) owned it a decade.....

All the recent FPVs like GTs just as crap. Wings, stripes and spoilers don't hide what it is actually is.

Look and go well sure, but no surprise it's gone under as not even close to competition quality wise outside performance.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2020, 12:47 AM   #3
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

My ea would have to have been my worst and best falcon..
Had a constant throttle position switch issue which even when replaced would still idle all over the shop At 1 point would go from 900 rpm up to 3500 rpm while at red lights causing the car to lurch forward
Mind u it cooked a bead gasket just outside of bendigo 1 holiday and could still drive it all the way home at 110 and back to my mechanics the next day..
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Yep. And I (stupidly) owned it a decade.....

All the recent FPVs like GTs just as crap. Wings, stripes and spoilers don't hide what it is actually is.

Look and go well sure, but no surprise it's gone under as not even close to competition quality wise outside performance.
Well my FPV has done 270k and Iv'e only just had to put a set of shocks on the front end, so as per usual you are talking rubbish. Maybe you should try turning your computer off at 7.00pm every night, or start drinking light beer.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe buy a better car.

I have and not looking back.

Enjoy your striped Taxi.
Didn’t you post an apology for being a knob a while back?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes because I was.

BA GT is rubbish. I should know, I drove one and slow, looks way overdone.

Sorry if it hurts Adam. The Turbo models far better in BA spec.
Couldn’t disagree more Mercury T!
Yes the F6/Typhoon was quicker but the BA GT was far from being rubbish and imo still look great today!
Slow.... That depends what your comparing it to! Was as quick as the Clubsport in 2003 and really made HSV lift it’s game as it had no real competition for many years before the BA GT came along.
The auto wasn’t the best in the BA GT and really held back the 290 but the manual was/is a very enjoyable drive, especially with a decent exhaust note to back it up..
I have a low k one in my collection and quite enjoy driving it when time permits. Still turns heads, never gives me an ounce of problems, and has one of the best exhaust notes in the business..
Just a great old Grand Tourer...
Old 06-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #7
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
Yes the F6/Typhoon was quicker but the BA GT was far from being rubbish and imo still look great today!
Slow.... That depends what your comparing it to! Was as quick as the Clubsport in 2003 and really made HSV lift it’s game as it had no real competition for many years before the BA GT came along.
The FPV GT was so good it made HSV drop the GTS model for the VZ range. Why pay nearly $90K for a VY GTS with 300kW when you could get a BA GT for just over $60K with 290kW.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 09:30 PM   #8
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
The auto wasn’t the best in the BA GT and really held back the 290 but the manual was/is a very enjoyable drive, especially with a decent exhaust note to back it up..
I have a low k one in my collection and quite enjoy driving it when time permits. Still turns heads, never gives me an ounce of problems, and has one of the best exhaust notes in the business..
Fair enough and very good points made!

I think it's some of the colour combos just look odd (same for FG GT)

I was too harsh. Sorry
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Cant pick a worst Falcon though ive owned a few,guess ive been lucky as the only time ive ever come to a stop was when the gearbox in my long ago owned XYGS decided enough was enough and quit even then to be fair it had every right to BAs am on my 3rd, everyone of em has been good to me and a wheel bearing in the XR8 ute is about all ive shelled out for,theres a couple of things need seeing to on the GT-P ie hooldlining will need doing soon and the annoying mixer shaft,for me anyway there without doubt one of the best looking Falcons ever made,nice set of rims decent exhaust and sat lower there every inch a GT.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #10
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Cant pick a worst Falcon though ive owned a few,guess ive been lucky as the only time ive ever come to a stop was when the gearbox in my long ago owned XYGS decided enough was enough and quit even then to be fair it had every right to BAs am on my 3rd, everyone of em has been good to me and a wheel bearing in the XR8 ute is about all ive shelled out for,theres a couple of things need seeing to on the GT-P ie hooldlining will need doing soon and the annoying mixer shaft,for me anyway there without doubt one of the best looking Falcons ever made,nice set of rims decent exhaust and sat lower there every inch a GT.
Off topic Alert!!

Post quoted, as it's how I feel about our Aussie Falcons too.
I've read through this thread a number of times now, trying to put thoughts
into words. I can't quite pick a "worst" Falcon, and it seems there's some tough task masters in here.

I'd like to suggest rather than a worst Falcon, perhaps discussion has centred around the worst "Ford Cost Cutting Measure or Design Stuff Up".
As a number of issues raised have presented themselves over a fair few models of Falcons. Cooling systems, head gaskets, bolt, interior crap, door handles, door hinges, etc, etc... That's easier for me to pick than a worst Falcon.

Having grown up with a fair number of models, and unashamedly owning a majority of XD-XG series, now an E, a B, and finally an FGII, I've seen a lot of things that make me want to drive them off a cliff at times.

But as others have compared these things with other makes and models, we have probably fared somewhere in the middle.
There are the obvious Friday arvo specials that are just pieces of junk from new, and yeah, I reckon they'd turn my hair greyer than it already is.

As 98LTS has writte, I love all my Falcons, and accept their faults.
I don't look forward to repairing the BF or FGII when they decide to stop, but will cross that bridge when I get to it!

Ed
Old 07-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agree with this post. I also have a low km manual BA GT owned for 13years now and took it out last Sunday for drive down to Bowral as it doesn't get used much now with the Mustang being the new toy . The BA is a fun car to drive and gets plenty of looks on the road ….

Speaking of build quality though , give me the BA over the Mustang anyday...not so much because of panel gaps but the lacklustre interior, things breaking easily
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post: