Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Vines5161

Default Disc Rotors

Just had my LR zetec focus in for a service and have been told that the front brake rotors need replacing. Does anyone know what the minimum thick is??
I have been told 20.00mm. Mine are about 19.6mm and I saw that the mechanic servicing the car had written that they were 2.1mm undersize. I was not allowed to take that info with me. Was done at a Ford Dealer.

Vines5161 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
BlackLS
yum

If you take the wheel off it should be stamped on the rotor itself its minimum thickness.

Bite the bullet and get new ones, just not original Ford ones. All Focuses seem to go through standard rotors within 40,000kms. My current DBA slotted have 80,000kms and still have *plenty* left in them.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I've been very happy with my RDA slotted rotors

p.s. I think you'll find the minimum thickness in the Owner's Manual. Usually they gather dust in the glovebox, but there is actually a lot of good tech stuff in the specifications section
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
zetecboy

Are rotors becoming throw away items these days?

Up until I had my focus I've never had to replace a rotor, pads yes, but not rotors. I would have thought it would be better to replace pads more often than rotors.
zetecboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Mine didn't wear out....I just went for a upgrade (slotted rotors, braided hoses, EBC pads)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very common especially in cars designed for the Eurpoean market to ahve to replace rotors as nearly as often as the pads. They will tell you it has to do with the optimum braking capacity. They are regarded as consumable items.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
scooby

I have a Toyota Torago at work. The discs AND rotors need replacing every 18,000 km's. So the Focus isn't too bad in comparison.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
NO2
Old Man

We managed 60,000k, but my wife drove conservatively. The aftermarket ones I had fitted were roughly $60-70 each and was told would give better mileage. I don't know if it is optimum braking if both pads and rotors wear at the same rate. I was given the option of 5 levels of brake pad hardness but there wass no choice in rotor hardness. Requires some research but a softer compound of pad should still give good braking and not be subjected to fade..
We had Rotor replacement on an 84 Camira with around 100,000k from memory
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

The only thing that bothers me with Genuine Ford Parts is the excessive brake dust!

Sorry, but I'd never replace any of my brake items with Genuine Ford Parts.

http://www.streettuned.com.au/index....&productId=750
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
BlackLS
yum

Yes, the DBAs on that site are the ones I got. Good price there as well.

DBA's have excellent reputation. Better braking, longer lasting, and about the same price as the standard rotors. Plus the slotted rotors look sweet.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
blue_focus

i jsut had my focus serviced and the rotors and pads needed changing. Got 60,000 out of both. Yes the brake dust from the original ford pads is ridiculous!!
blue_focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
ondori
Addicted User

My ford originals have 20mm stamped on them.
I Replaced them all round with DBA slotted and Bendix soft General CT pads...must say best improvement to the LR so far. And cheaper then $1200+ quoted for replacement OEM

I washed my car every few weeks because of the originals brake dust problem, and the constant black wheels, in the picture it hasn’t been wash since June, still not black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DBAslotedLRfocusL.jpg (103.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
Mullett
Badly Focused

The compound of the pad can have a significant difference to the wear rate, aggressive pads will eat rotors, it's a matter of finding a pad/rotor comprimise you're happy with. That being said, get aftermarket rotors for sure, the DBA product is excellent (but why does that website have $399 crossed out and a price of $450?). RDA are often 1/2-2/3 of the price, and the quality is lower, but not drastically (I destroyed a set or RDAs with 10 very hot laps on competition pads, but who does that to their focus?) Good pads will be the best improvement you can make, and change your brake fluid EVERY service (brake fluid can absorb enough moisture in 6 months to lower the boiling point by 40degC, and the water can corrode internal parts)

For the Focus, when I come to do the brakes I'll get a set of DBA rotors for the front (the rears should take forever to wear), and a full car set of Ferrodo DS1200 pads (always replace pads as a full car set, unless you can get the same compound)

Brakes! I like brakes...

RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #14
BlackLS
yum

Mullett, my original front and rear rotors actually wore out pretty much at the same time.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #15
Mullett
Badly Focused

Really? I wonder if they compensate for front to rear bias by leaving less material at the back? Good point though, maybe I'll have to fork out for a full car set of rotors :( Were the rear pads gone as well?

RM.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
mixo

I just got told i "might" need new rotors at 600 bucks ..but i didnt ask if that was each wheel!

Do i goto my local mechanic to get the dba ones?

thanks

mixo
mixo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #17
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Really? I wonder if they compensate for front to rear bias by leaving less material at the back? Good point though, maybe I'll have to fork out for a full car set of rotors :( Were the rear pads gone as well?

RM.
Yeah all original rotors and discs went at about the same time. Both lefts were starting to grind and i threw in some cheapie pads for a week before i could source the DBAs.

Also the inside and outside pads don't wear evenly. I had 3 or so mm on the outside pads when the inside pads were basically 0mm. So you can't judge brake wear by looking at the outside pads through the rim, its the inside ones you need to check.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #18
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixo
I just got told i "might" need new rotors at 600 bucks ..but i didnt ask if that was each wheel!

Do i goto my local mechanic to get the dba ones?

thanks

mixo
Yeah local mech should be able to get them. Otherwise get some somewhere online like here or order some from Bursons or supercheap and bring them to the Ford dealer and say "use these".

Old 05-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Throw on DBA's... I put just their standard ones on... and the Bendix general CT's... lost some pedal feel (at first to the point i almost wanted new pads)... but they still bite pretty hard.. and best of all, no brake dust.

DBA's have lots of different sizes which are bolt on changes... so are easy, and the best DBA's appear to be line priced with the Ford units...!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

As you guys know my brakes are insane however I do have major brake dust problems... leading me clean the wheels EVERY weekend. (in fact they are bad within only 2 days)

Whats the deal for pads? If I want performace are the softer pads like I got now better or should I get harder ones (which will reduce brake dust)?

What pads do you guys recommed for reducing the brake dust and would they fit into my 6-piston calipers?
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
Mullett
Badly Focused

What pad sizing is on the rotors? I'd recommend Ferrodo DS2500, or DS1200s if you're not taking it to the track. GREAT pads, the 2500s are about $250 a set, the 1200s are about $120. DS1200s were good for 5 laps at Barbagallo, after that it was all over. Compare that to Bendix ultimates, which did one warm up, one hot lap, and then melted. Brake dust wasn't an issue on my car, so I'd assume they're pretty good.

You might have trouble sourcing pads, depending on the brand of your callipers and if they used a standard pad template (like a Brembo pad), or if they made their own up...

-RM.