Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Default Part-time/casual work while studying

I was wondering if you guys could recommend any sort of place to work while studying at uni. Sitting at home gets preety boring after a while and things like carrer one out of the news paper don't offer any real jobs.

So I was wondering what would you guys suggest for someone who has to go to uni 3 days a week and can get time off around exams?

:
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
paul7v7
bring it on

find something to do within the industry you want to enter. it will give u invaluable experience. even if you have to do some voluntry work...just go around to businesses everywhere. i did that, ended up doing some contracting...while working 2 other jobs.
Old 27-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Leah
www.madel.com.au

Hospitality work is always good.... reasonably easy money and pretty good casual rates. Where are u located?
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
rob_o

Yeh hospitality aint bad. Im currently a waiter workin some casual nite shifts. Cash in hand every nite and a free dinner arent bad either ;)
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

I can tell you where not to work - anything owned by Coles Myer. ing_sm
Old 27-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

What industry are you hoping to enter. Army Reserve is bloody awesome, if your into that sorta thing tho. Good rate of pay, attracts no tax and doesnt effect Centrelink.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 11:19 PM   #7
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Im currently studying a bachelor in Management with a minor in marketing. Thats the hardest thing is it would be very very hard to get management work anywhere. I can get jobs during summer semister but I need more of a casual job during the year that im not really too concenred with.

The army reserves would be really interesting to try but im not too keen on the 'first in line' to get sent of to war bit.

Oh I live near Brisbane well 1hr out anyway so close enough.

Smoked would you be able to give me your view on the army reserves sounds interesting.

Last edited by Duffman; 27-01-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 27-01-2005, 11:30 PM   #8
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkau
The army reserves would be really interesting to try but im not too keen on the 'first in line' to get sent of to war bit.

Oh I live near Brisbane well 1hr out anyway so close enough.

Smoked would you be able to give me your view on the army reserves sounds interesting.
Kay, closest base to You probably would be Enoggra.

With you studying Managment, A position as an officer would probably go very well. Will give you excellent experience in HR Managemant, probably aswell as corporate management.

As for my opinion, I absolutly love it. Ive been an Officer cadet for over a year now and what ive got out of the job far out weighs what ive put in or had to give up. The training is of a class of its own, and the friends and Connections i have established are second to no other job. This all said, the training is hard, but is rewarding. Also, the training is aligned with uni holidays, so you do major training in holidays, and are able to easily get time off during exams.

As for the whole front line thing, Trust me, as a Reservist, if your being sent to the front line, you'd be headed there anyway because consription would come into effect very quickly.

Any, my opinion, maybe im biased, but as i sadi, i love it. i see people that go paintballing, and pay up to $200 so then can shoot all day long. I go out on a Weekend EX, get payed to do it, and i used weapons that make louder bangs, and can do more destruction.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 12:19 AM   #9
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
What industry are you hoping to enter. Army Reserve is bloody awesome, if your into that sorta thing tho. Good rate of pay, attracts no tax and doesnt effect Centrelink.
Silence REMF boy! :P

Reserves was shit for me, "your training will be done in 6 months after you get back from Kapooka blah blah blah" 8 months later I'd heard about so many canceled courses it wasn't funny, and all I'd done is sit around in training rooms doing shit I'd already done at basic (yawn).

I discharged, I might go full time when my apprenticeship is up but seriously, reserves was a bore. And complete waste of tax payers money.

Although having said that, Smoked is doing officer stuff, so that might be more on the challenging side. Reserve infantry as a shit kicker must just be crap.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 01:14 AM   #10
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I looked at their site I was thinking along the lines of the air force officer in logistics. I haven't completed my degree yet (7 subjects left this year) and if I did get a job Id probably stay on to do a masters.

The main interest is it would be a good chance to get some management training and skills so I don't just come out of uni with nothing but a piece of paper. When you signup do you have to do like a 6-week course where they yell at you and abuse you and so on...or is that something else?

Oh and how is the pay ;)
Old 28-01-2005, 01:20 AM   #11
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Army is 45 days basic training, then corps based training locally (usually). It's not too bad, as long as you are fit and can keep your mouth shut and do what you're told you'll fly through it.

Pay is alright, I think it's 70 odd a day for enlisted ranks fully qualified, tax free. Doesn't seem like much, but when you're training it racks up seems you don't have to pay for food and such (at least not at basic, various messes around the place you have to pay) and you really don't have anything to spend your money on (until they let you loose in Wagga and you go nuts at KFC).
Old 28-01-2005, 01:53 AM   #12
ScoopED
Thumbs up for fossil fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
I can tell you where not to work - anything owned by Coles Myer. ing_sm

I really would have to disagree with you there.......

C'mon, $18.13 p/hr for 'unskilled' work, you cant complain with that. Then you have 125% after midnight, 150% Sunday 175% After midnight saturday and 250% Public holidays ($40 p/hr approx).

Id say go work for coles, they are generally very flexible with hours as long as you work, same as everywere really.

I have been with them for 2 years now and havent had a problem, work when I want to, have time off when I want to (casual). Suits me just fine.

Mike

1992 EB Fairmont
351cu in Windsor Roller Cam
Valve Body "Shift Kitted" BTR 4spd Auto
Hi Tek Headers Tri Y
Twin 2.25 into Single 2.5in
17in x 8in BA XR8 Copies
235x45x17 Nankang NSII
Ultra Low King springs
Whiteline 30mm Swaybar
Nolathane box section trailing arms
Slotted DBA front rotors
Yella Terra roller rockers
ScoopED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 02:16 AM   #13
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cleaning is good $$, esp if you can score your own contract.
Old 28-01-2005, 02:31 AM   #14
Pik0

I work at a pub and its damn good
staffies after work
and im working with some damn hot chicks...
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #15
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Ill try and get some more info on the reserves im not really so much interested in the money just more the experience I will get. If it all works around uni fine I might just give it ago. I more after the experience then anything as everyjob you apply for these days says experience required.
Old 28-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #16
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul7v7
find something to do within the industry you want to enter. it will give u invaluable experience. even if you have to do some voluntry work...just go around to businesses everywhere. i did that, ended up doing some contracting...while working 2 other jobs.
Top advice. I was working as a labourer for a manufacturer (who also had decent size finance/merchandise/marketing function in house) whilst studying banking/finance at uni a few years back. I sorta spread the word so the management team knew what i was studying... the day i finished my degree applied for a graduate position and bang - in like flynn.

Although 8 months later i did end up being made redundant... but as i'd been there a few years and was paid out at current salary.... laughed all the way to the bank!!! And of course i wasnt a fresh graduate without experience so getting a new job was very easy.
Old 28-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #17
danege

I work as the DJ at one of the local pub / clubs here in rocky.

Its the best job ever...i get to listen and play music all night, see all of my mates when they go out, i get paid really really well and get to work with very hot barmaids :P

Now im going back to tafe and it wont effect the job at all.

So my advice is to look around at all the pubs / clubs near your area for a bit of bar work (or if you have no experience behind the bar a glassie position isnt too bad).
Old 28-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #18
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkau
Ill try and get some more info on the reserves im not really so much interested in the money just more the experience I will get. If it all works around uni fine I might just give it ago. I more after the experience then anything as everyjob you apply for these days says experience required.
If you're after it for the experience go for it mate! Although it wasn't what I expected I don't regret a second of it.