Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #181
BenFez
Starter Motor

Default Re: TDCI Focus

Picked up a black LT tdci a few weeks ago. Love it. Took it in for a 45k service the other day $300. Still has to go back as it has developed a squeaky drivers seat which they need to fix (warranty).

Was lurking here doing some reading. Of course became interested in the minor mods. I ended up ordering a Bluespark pro unit (not bluefin) from the UK and fitted it yesterday. This unit has 9 maps/profiles and 10 settings for each map. I have only tried the default map on default setting (map 5 on 75%) so far, but very nice. The car is definitely idling better (smoother) and much more responsive and of course a bunch more power.

Why did I grab this and not others or even a Bluefin? hmmm. Could not stretch to a Bluefin budget wise. Also, I liked the fact that it has a bunch of different maps and settings to play with. You can just dial it up to wherever the ECU decides you are making too much power and goes into limp mode. Then you back the setting off until that stops. I also read quite a bit about first hand accounts of these on a UK Jaguar forum and it was all good. I got this one for about $290 AUD delivered.

The guy was pretty responsive to questions. Has even sent a message since I received it saying if I have any problems with any of the settings to let him know and he would suggest some changes.
BenFez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #182
NAOS
TDCi

hey guys, the TDCi, is looking good, im picking it up tomorrow, the test drive felt awesome, cant wait, woo first car!! plz let us know how the RED ECU tune, as i am interested.
NAOS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #183
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAOS
hey guys, the TDCi, is looking good, im picking it up tomorrow, the test drive felt awesome, cant wait, woo first car!! plz let us know how the RED ECU tune, as i am interested.
Welcome to the club, my TDCI is my second car

I still have my WS Fiesta, everything else I drive now seems so slow without that massive torque rush you get in the TDCI, it always feels like you're going fast.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #184
Focus_TDCI
Starter Motor

Hey Guys have you had any problems with the car yet? i did abit of research online and it says that the DPF needs replacing every 75000k is this true and how much will it cost? i have the car for one year now and its been fantastic.
Focus_TDCI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #185
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Luckily I have an early LT model TDCI, which came without the Particulate filter.
Great car to drive.
marg99 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #186
reggaeman
reggaeman

hi FOCUS TDCI,
congrats on your purchase. i picked mine up last friday, had a couple of things that confused me, but the fellas here have been great at making sense of things. just out of curiosity what's a dpf? im pretty new to diesels and past few cars have been oldies.

reggaeman.
reggaeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #187
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_TDCI
Hey Guys have you had any problems with the car yet? i did abit of research online and it says that the DPF needs replacing every 75000k is this true and how much will it cost? i have the car for one year now and its been fantastic.
Where did you find that information?? Sounds like rubbish to me.... there is no way they would replace an entire DPF, that would be $1000's of maintenance on every single car.... There is some talk of an additive which requires replacement, but no chance in hell of the entire DPF. they are an item like a gearbox, you may need to replace one in the life of the vehicle, but the percentage of them is very small.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #188
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggaeman
hi FOCUS TDCI,
congrats on your purchase. i picked mine up last friday, had a couple of things that confused me, but the fellas here have been great at making sense of things. just out of curiosity what's a dpf? im pretty new to diesels and past few cars have been oldies.

reggaeman.
DPF is a Diesel Particulate Filter which is basically another anti pollution gadget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

IMHO I still think it's a bit of a step backwards in terms of the vehicle engine longevity :(

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #189
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking about TDCI,s-I have been running 30 front psi and 33 rear psi on my stock 205/55/16,s. I had them balanced rotated aligned today and the tyre guy told me I should run at 36 psi all round.

Any comments??
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #190
globy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_TDCI

Had a flat battery this long weekend while camping, seems these diesel cars need more power than a Toyota Camry can provide to jump start the car.

Called the NRMA. He used a portable jump starter to no avail, then used a charger and something else that plugs into the back of his car to get it to start.

So in short, the car needs more power to jump start and if your going camping turn the car on to use the headlights as the alternator will charge your battery.
Old 15-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #191
Focus_TDCI
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggaeman
hi FOCUS TDCI,

reggaeman.
haha someone got to you first but here is where i got my info from http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/other...ord-focus.html

I have had the car for one year now. what motor oil are you guys using and what rating? the ford service handbook doesnt give much details other than SAE 5w-30. i heard that it needs low ash (low sulfur or other chemicals) oils so that the DPF doesnt get prematurely clogged. so far (without much knowledge) iive been using 15w-40 Diesel Motor Oil =S
Old 15-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #192
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Talking about TDCI,s-I have been running 30 front psi and 33 rear psi on my stock 205/55/16,s. I had them balanced rotated aligned today and the tyre guy told me I should run at 36 psi all round.

Any comments??
What does the door sticker say?? If memory serves there is a bit of a difference between front and rear, like 3-4 psi.

I do a lot of freeway driving so like mine harder, I have them at 38psi all round.

30 and 33 is lowish. You will have a more plus ride at the sacrifice of your handling and you will use a little more fuel as well.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #193
Focus_TDCI
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
What does the door sticker say?? If memory serves there is a bit of a difference between front and rear, like 3-4 psi.

I do a lot of freeway driving so like mine harder, I have them at 38psi all round.

30 and 33 is lowish. You will have a more plus ride at the sacrifice of your handling and you will use a little more fuel as well.
i run them 35 PSI all round. Nice ride around town and on the highway.
Old 16-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #194
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

40 psi all around here, but no more than that because you start wearing out the middle of the tread early.
Old 16-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #195
Dustproof

During one of the longer services (Can't remember which), they refill the DPF fluid. If this is done, the DPF should last forever, this is one reason you should go to Ford for some servicing. From what I have heard, Ford are the only ones that can do this part of the Service.
Old 16-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #196
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the comments on the tyre pressures. My TDCI has the petrol focus tyre pressure sticker advice on teh side of the door so I have been running the wrong tyre pressures for 3 years.
Turns out the handbook says 1/3 passengers should be 35 front 33 rear whereas the 2 litre petrol is 30 front 33 rear /very different.
Explains why my TDci didnt handle too well and had a bit of steering wheel shimmy.
Thanks to you guys I will now be back on track.
I was also going through the owners handbook and servicing guide and can find nothing about DPF fluid to be added.
Also I see you can run diesel with 5% bio diesel so this means in Qld I can buy this at Freedom Fuels.
This forum is a very valuable tool for those of us who care about our cars.
Old 16-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #197
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correction to last post -the Freedom diesel is 20% biodiesel and Ford only allow 5% bio diesel mix as suited to the Focus TDCI.
Will stay with the BP Ultimate Diesel.
Old 17-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #198
pugdriver
Starter Motor

Yes Ford does only allow 5% biodiesel in the mix, Peugeot makes the engines and they allow 30% biodiesel, (same engine is Pug 307 / 308) I wonder why Ford is being so careful?
pugdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #199
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pug driver thats interesting. Two of the owner drivers at work run 300 horse power diesel DAF trucks and have been running them on Freedom B20 for over 600000kms each.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #200
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

My 2008 Golf GT TDI (which I just sold) had a warning on the inside of the fuel cap NO BIO DIESEL. I don't know if that applies to the cars sold in Europe as well or if it's just for us, as I think the quality of the fuels over there would be a lot better than ours.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #201
Marlboro2728

So does the LV Tdci have a DPF?
Marlboro2728 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #202
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro2728
So does the LV Tdci have a DPF?
It would appear that the TDCI Focus is fitted with the DPF from 2008 onwards, from what I could find on it anyway.
Old 17-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #203
Marlboro2728

Thanks Russ. Spoke to two Ford dealers and they also confirmed the LV TDCI does have a DPF but it doesn't require any special 'top ups'.
Old 17-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #204
reggaeman
reggaeman

Thanks Russ & Ford TDCI.
i reckon there's alot more "useful" info here on the forums then there is in the user manual, really need to get myself a haynes manual though.
reggaeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #205
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No worries, glad to help out
Old 23-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #206
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Was just driving my old Fiesta, seems a hell of a lot more easier to get the thing off the line with minimal accelerator, would getting rid of the torque limiter on first/second gears fix that?

It seems through first/second gear there is basically nothing, then when you go 3rd, even with minimal accelerator pedal you get shoved back into the seat, wonder if I can get that happening in first and second.
Old 30-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #207
Marlboro2728

Due for 60k service and looking for some oil. The Shell website lists an oil that is approved to Ford spec WSS-M2C913-B as listed in the service guide but states it is for diesel engines without DPF's. I've spoken to two Ford dealers who have confirmed the LV has the DPF so what is with this spec? Any oil that is for a DPF vehicle doesn't meet this seemingly old spec!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #208
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro2728
Any oil that is for a DPF vehicle doesn't meet this seemingly old spec!
I use Nulon Oil which meets the requirements by Ford for Diesel Vehicles with DPF. The issue is that if you have a DPF fitted to your car, you need a low ash oil or you can clog up the Diesel Particulate Filter which can lead to unnecessary expense. Oils ain't Oils - especially where Diesel Engines are concerned.
Old 31-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #209
Turbodiesel
Torquer

So after much research and deliberation I'm taking the plunge.... on Monday the rear muffler will be replaced with a straight pipe.

Should be interesting, hopefully in a good way

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #210
NAOS
TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
So after much research and deliberation I'm taking the plunge.... on Monday the rear muffler will be replaced with a straight pipe.

Should be interesting, hopefully in a good way

hey
let us know how it is, i am also keen know know about it
NAOS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post