Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 31-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
meteorologist
Starter Motor

Default Ford Meteor (GC) GL wagon Stereo Upgrade

Can someone link me to any wiring diagrams and/or photos of the back of the stereo. It's the stock radio/tape player.

Also any technical info I might need eg. best sized amp.

I'm going to put 4 x 4inch speakers and probably a 8 inch under seat sub.

Thanks!
meteorologist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: Ford Meteor (GC) GL wagon Stereo Upgrade

Hi. Been a long time since I worked on a KC laser (same front half as your wagon). If you go for the under seat sub you can get a powered sub to fit there, If you need more doof doof go for a real sub in a box and a seperate amp. A good head unit will power the 4 inch speakers OK but if you run them from an amp you can use the low pass/cut/high pass filter to cut out some of the bass from them that will only cause distortion on small speakers. Should have wiring for front speakers on head unit and accessories power feed but no constant power (get that from the clock wiring). Rear speaker wiring will go to a plug under drivers seat, if it has rear speakers there will be a small amp there. When cutting the hole for the head unit you need to trim a little bit off the clock mounting bracket so that the mounting sleeve sits against the clock mounting screw and then work back to the choke knob/cable. After you have the cutout the right size refit the facia and file it out to the same size as the new larger hole you have made behind it. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2020, 04:08 AM   #3
meteorologist
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Been a long time since I worked on a KC laser (same front half as your wagon). If you go for the under seat sub you can get a powered sub to fit there, If you need more doof doof go for a real sub in a box and a seperate amp. A good head unit will power the 4 inch speakers OK but if you run them from an amp you can use the low pass/cut/high pass filter to cut out some of the bass from them that will only cause distortion on small speakers. Should have wiring for front speakers on head unit and accessories power feed but no constant power (get that from the clock wiring). Rear speaker wiring will go to a plug under drivers seat, if it has rear speakers there will be a small amp there. When cutting the hole for the head unit you need to trim a little bit off the clock mounting bracket so that the mounting sleeve sits against the clock mounting screw and then work back to the choke knob/cable. After you have the cutout the right size refit the facia and file it out to the same size as the new larger hole you have made behind it. Cheers MD
Thanks foxtrot3, I'm thinking I'll go with a powered sub, as room is limited and I want to keep the boot free for other things. Do many/any powered subs have 'low pass/cut/high pass filter' to control the speakers? Or do they usually just supply power for the sub?

The clock is quite high on the dash in my wagon, under it is the air con then the stereo under that, is this different to the one you were referrring to?

I was looking at this powered sub 'Pioneer
TS-WX130DA COMPACT ACTIVE SUBWOOFER (160W MAX)" What do you think? Could you recommend anything better?

Thanks

Last edited by meteorologist; 02-11-2020 at 04:15 AM.
meteorologist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. I was thinking it was the model with the radio beside the clock. There may be an aerpro harness available to make the radio plug and play. If you go with the under seat sub just leave the speakers running off the head unit' Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post