Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Petrol companies deny diggers.

I heard on the radio on Alan Jones's program that the cabbies from the northernn suburbs provided a free ride for diggers to and from the marches today. This is great.However over the past 5 years that this has been happenning the petrol companies have also provided 1000 dollars worth of fuel.This year all of the petrol companies have said no to supporting the day. Caltex,Bp shell have al denied our diggers. At the same time they are shafting us on fuel. This story pulled a few heartstrings with me..Fortunately some other organisatios rang the radio station and put up the money. Shame on the petrol giants.Your fuel sux half the time anyway!!

Is there a way to make a group effort to simply not buy fuel at an agreed time or period? Would you guys be interested in this movement? I am prepared to go cross forums to make this happen. No one else is trying..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm up for it! I don't know how successful it will be but hopefully it will work out better than Earth Hour

It really gets to me when you hear the Americans complaining about having to pay 80-90 cents per litre while they're driving around in their gas guzzling SUVs! :
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

it doesn't work and never will. all those who choose not to buy fuel for a day will no doubt rush out and buy it in the following days.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only thing that would have a chance of working is by not buying fuel from one company's sites. For instance no one buys fuel from shell and any sites that shell provides fuel for, how long would it take shell to hurt and drop their prices untill everyone caves and buys from them. then move onto Mobil and no one buys. Unfortunately it would be too hard to organise
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

true.I might be visiting the kebab shop and use their old canola oil. Apprently the car will run on the stuff.Might even get the crispy chip leftovers...

We need an alternative fuel that we can get ourselves.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 25-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
the only thing that would have a chance of working is by not buying fuel from one company's sites. For instance no one buys fuel from shell and any sites that shell provides fuel for, how long would it take shell to hurt and drop their prices untill everyone caves and buys from them. then move onto Mobil and no one buys. Unfortunately it would be too hard to organise
Fuel Refineries often supply their fuel to service stations regardless of what brand they are, i.e Shell fuel can at times be distributed to Mobil stations etc...

If we stopped buying fuel from our local Shell service station, we would have to buy it from the Mobil across the road, that Mobil's fuel output would double causing it to look for supplies elsewhere and would eventually end up buying it from Shell anyway.

The only people/companies that would suffer any significant longterm losses would be the owner/operators of the service stations that are boycotted because we aren't buying mars bars, coke and the other non essentials we buy at the same time we get our fuel.

Thats a very simplistic view of it based on my limited knowledge. Would be nice if it were different but as long as we are so dependent on fuel ($80 a week for me :() the fuel companies has us by the balls unfortunately.

Last edited by 3vXT; 25-04-2008 at 03:25 PM.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
I heard on the radio on Alan Jones's program...
take whatever he says with a huge grain of salt. hes the radio equivalent of today tonight.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
chief
FTF Club Moderator

It is true. On the northern beaches of Sydney their is the War Veterans Nursing Home. You have to be a vet or widow to get in. My grandfather stayed their for a while. Manly Cabs would detail the cars, give their time to transport the diggers in before the march. Fuel companies have given free fuel to the cabs for a number of years but this year pulled their support. This made the War Vets home use all their mini buses - some with blackened windows.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #9
cycle myth

Seems as though the good work - ie the prior years of support has been forgotten and turned into a negative.

If you were in this position would you be so quick to help out in the future for other worthy causes now?

Things are getting tough - going to get tougher.

Be glad for some charity and support and reciprocate where you can.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely TT or ACA would run with this. I didnt think my opinion of oil companies could get any lower.

I just went to the ACA website and notified them of this. Lets hope they do something about it.

Last edited by GTPete; 26-04-2008 at 12:37 AM.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #11
Kryton

theres 2 sides to every story as well.
just because the radio version of TT/ACA have said something, doesnt mean they dont have their own agenda behind it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #12
cycle myth

Yeah today tonight - thats quality reporting for you.

You can't be serious?
Old 26-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #13
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

None of them have any credability. But whats the choice?

Do you believe an injustice has been done here? Do you think it would be such a big thing for the oil companies to continue their support?

Why not bring it to the general publics attention?
Old 26-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
cycle myth

So a company has been charitable and done a good thing several times and now you think they deserve a kick because they stop?

I don't recall seeing a post here before saying - "good on you Mr Oil Company for supporting the diggers"

Why not recognise what they have contributed and be thankful.

(I don't work for an oil company)

No one owes us anything.
Old 26-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle myth
Seems as though the good work - ie the prior years of support has been forgotten and turned into a negative.

If you were in this position would you be so quick to help out in the future for other worthy causes now?

Things are getting tough - going to get tougher.

Be glad for some charity and support and reciprocate where you can.
You are right. Its a tough decision for the fuel moguls whether to how much fuel will be the next day so they can afford the mazzerati. If I changed my prices like they do on a daily basis I would be reported to ICAC.

Surely they are above the law and if they had a bit of heart all they would have to do is raise prices 1 cent across the board to make more than enough profit to cover the expense. lets face it I dont ask questions anymore as I am being smashed by fuel prices that it doesnt hurt anymore.

Yes I was going to donate to the taxi co to help foot the bill fior the diggers if you must know. By the time I picked up the phone they already reached and exceeded public support to achieve the service.

Old 26-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they stopped supporting for a good reason then I doubt anyone would have anything to say. But lets face it there not exactly going broke are they.

Simply a very poor decission PR wise and companies this size DO OWE the community something.
Old 26-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Is there a way to make a group effort to simply not buy fuel at an agreed time or period? Would you guys be interested in this movement? I am prepared to go cross forums to make this happen. No one else is trying..
It doesnt work most the time on one day, because people still have to buy it the day before or day later. The thing to do, would be to target specific large companies such as BP & Shell and not use them for a whole month. If the word got round to enough people then it would have some impact.
But then your talking a mass email campaign, maybe set up a free web page with info, ect.

Of course you can pull on those heart strings of every day Australians and mention that they were too greedy to support the diggers for just one day, even when the are making huge profit and still running the average joe into the ground with extraordinant fuel prices.... And so on.

Take it from there and run off your leash ;)
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #18
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not defending petrol companies here... but did caltex recently have a fall of like 34% in profits?.. or earnings.. something like that.. i can't remember the story now....

time is getting tougher... but this is a debate i don't really want to get into... it is a very personal subject for many ppl (re: diggers)..
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
Stav
Smile

Hmm maybe the radio show sensationalised it a bit but the reply they claimed they got was get stuffed.

Old 26-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Ah yes.This would be Alan 'cash for comments' Jones. Who isnt short of a quid himself.

How much did he agree to put in?

Do people still listen to this dribble?
Old 26-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #21
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Last time anything of any substance came from Alan Jones was in an England Toilet block.

Sorry it was a substance wasnt it , not something of any substance.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #22
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Spoonman FTW
Old 26-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Spoonman FTW
An the English translation is ?
Old 26-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #24
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

See points 2 & 3

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ftw
Old 26-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Oh I knew the 'FTW' I just cant work out who (what?) spoonman is and what it has to do with this thread.

But then again I've had a busy day and I'm tired
Old 26-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #26
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Spoonman, Legendary Syd Radio Jock http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/shows/thespoonman/
He'd eat Alan Jones for breakfast.. Maybe leave a bit for lunch