Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
Anythingwilldo
Starter Motor

Default Powershift Problems Continue

My LW II 2012 Focus had a new TCM installed the other day at 68000km. Luckily it was done under the 14M02 10-year extended warranty program. Dealer then informed me this is actually the second time it’s been replaced as their records show it was also replaced back in Feb 2019 when they did the clutch pack - also under an extended warranty program - less than 15000km ago.
So it looks like Ford’s claim that all the Powershift problems are fixed with the revised TCM are looking a bit false. Two TCMs in 23 months/14000km.
The 14M02 extended TCM warranty on my car has 23 months left. Finger crossed or do I jump ship and get rid of it. Other than the obvious, it’s a great little car.
Waiting to see the judgement from the federal court class action last year. It’s already been 6 months, so hopefully it will be decided soon. My guess is it’s going to go against Ford.
Cheers
Anythingwilldo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #2
red_october
Go on, be a monkey....

Default Re: Powershift Problems Continue

It's always a risk with the LW, you just never know when it'll cost you bigtime. If I was you, I'd trade it in.
red_october is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
Anythingwilldo
Starter Motor

If only the class action judgement would include an order that the Powershift be covered by a lifetime warranty.....?
Can anyone report how much they’ve been offered as a trade in lately. I know the insurance value is $7500. I’m guessing trade-in is around 5.
Old 30-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is that right on 10 year Powershift warranty.
My wife has a 2012 Fiesta which has been in about 5 times for repairs.
Notice its makes odd noise after a long trip say 140 km return when it gets hot ok on short trips.
So warranty on that runs to 2022 or 2023-we bought in new in Jan 2013.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anythingwilldo View Post
My LW II 2012 Focus had a new TCM installed the other day at 68000km. Luckily it was done under the 14M02 10-year extended warranty program. Dealer then informed me this is actually the second time it’s been replaced as their records show it was also replaced back in Feb 2019 when they did the clutch pack - also under an extended warranty program - less than 15000km ago.
So it looks like Ford’s claim that all the Powershift problems are fixed with the revised TCM are looking a bit false. Two TCMs in 23 months/14000km.
The 14M02 extended TCM warranty on my car has 23 months left. Finger crossed or do I jump ship and get rid of it. Other than the obvious, it’s a great little car.
Waiting to see the judgement from the federal court class action last year. It’s already been 6 months, so hopefully it will be decided soon. My guess is it’s going to go against Ford.
Cheers
What was the issue with you vehicle this time?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #6
Anythingwilldo
Starter Motor

The problems were many. Random fault codes, intermittent loss of drive while the TCM decided whether or not to go into limp mode, lately it would not shift into second gear.
It was guaranteed to happen on warm days, after driving for short while and then parking for 5-10 mins. Within minutes of starting up and driving off, disaster would strike. It built up over the last few months from just needing a few restarts to get out of limp mode, to being virtually undriveable.
Ive been keeping a log of every incident and the fault codes for last 18 months which made it easy when I finally presented the car to the dealer.
Old 30-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
Anythingwilldo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Is that right on 10 year Powershift warranty.
My wife has a 2012 Fiesta which has been in about 5 times for repairs.
Notice its makes odd noise after a long trip say 140 km return when it gets hot ok on short trips.
So warranty on that runs to 2022 or 2023-we bought in new in Jan 2013.
No, not a 10 year Powershift warranty, only for the TCM (the computer brains that control the trans and clutches and also houses the two shift motors). But in your case the fault sounds like it’s mechanical, and the only thing that moves in the TCM is the shift motors.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:45 PM   #8
Potaka79
Starter Motor

Hi I'm new to the site.
Car is 2012 LW Trend: 122 000klm
Had TCM checked today and was told the clutch did not relearn the new TCM???
Was then advised gearbox will have to come out for problems to be found and report sent to Ford. They would then decide how much cover to apply as my car is out side the 7yr gearbox warranty?? Apparently I've got to pay for the gearbox fault.

Does this sound right.
Potaka79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2021, 10:19 PM   #9
Anythingwilldo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potaka79 View Post
Hi I'm new to the site.
Was then advised gearbox will have to come out for problems to be found and report sent to Ford. They would then decide how much cover to apply as my car is out side the 7yr gearbox warranty?? Apparently I've got to pay for the gearbox fault.

Does this sound right.
I honestly dont know. The only thing that is covered by the 10 year extended warranty is the TCM. If a new TCM was fitted, but it would not pass the clutch as operational, it would seem to me that the dealer cannot do any more with your car until they find the reason the TCM rejected the initial setup (clutches ?) If you are asking why they replaced the TCM if it didnt fix the problem, id rather not point any fingers when i dont know the full story.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #10
finnigan001
Starter Motor

Finally got fed up with our 2013 Focus S and sold it after the last time they replaced the clutch. 4 clutches was enough f-ing around for me. Managed $11.5k. Paid $27k ex-demo originally.

Covid tax definitely ensures a better sell price.
finnigan001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2022, 02:30 PM   #11
WhatTheActual01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potaka79 View Post
Hi I'm new to the site.

Does this sound right.
Hi Potaka79, I've got a 2014 EcoSport and have just received the exact same advice. Ford dealer wants $1500 to remove and inspect the gearbox to see if they can find what's wrong... I'm wondering if you're happy to share how you ended up proceeding in your case?
WhatTheActual01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2023, 08:37 PM   #12
AlanM

There's a lot of videos on YouTube about a probable easy and virtually free fix for these.

The clutch actuators get sticky with clutch dust.
The two actuator motors can be removed (4 bolts easily accessible) then the actuators "excercised" using a cordless driver with an Allen head, while spraying with brake cleaner.

After they're freed up, a little WD type lubricant.

This seems to be fixing the vast majority of problems, and seems to be lasting about 50,000 km before needing to be done again.

IMO well worth trying before trashing a car because of the ridiculous amounts dealers and transmission shops quote.
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post