Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
DMXR6T

Default Focus Diesel Auto - good/bad?

Daughter buying a second hand car. Looking at a few options including Focus diesel auto. The power shift was a problem. Many comments that the auto on the diesel was wet clutch and hence was OK but I have also seen comments that this auto was also bad.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Focus Diesel Auto - good/bad?

Avoid - Yellow Festiva here on AFF had a PowerCrapola TDCI Focus with the wet clutch DCT that supposedly didn't have the issues and it crapped out the auto real early, we both bought the same car at similar times, mime is manual though and it's still alive.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Avoid - Yellow Festiva here on AFF had a PowerCrapola TDCI Focus with the wet clutch DCT that supposedly didn't have the issues and it crapped out the auto real early, we both bought the same car at similar times, mime is manual though and it's still alive.
Im'sorry, but so many horror stories about second hand Focuses.
Not sure how much you're spending, but go a Mazda3 I reckon, even look at the SP models for something a bit sportier.
My son looked at a Focus a few years ago, then he drove an SP23 and was hooked, chalk and cheese.
Old 26-01-2021, 01:41 AM   #4
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was wondering about this too. My bro just got back from the UK and was thinking about a wagon for now, was considering the mondeo but didn't know if the wet clutch in them was any better than the horror stories about the focus (which had a dry clutch I thought).
The reputation and confusion put him off and then he looked at hyundais but again they have DCT and probable dramas as well.

Eventually he wants a 7 seater for his family and inlaws to all fit in and drive around in together (he was thinking mazda cx8/9 is a year or so after housing is worked out)

He asked me for recommendations yesterday but neither of us have any idea what's good @ ford anymore: They sell ranger, mustang etc and after that it's a forever changing names of SUVs no one buys or cares about these days so we were both clueless.

If only for a the choice of traditional auto he's thinking he might just go mazda 6 over the mondeo. Even if mazda have their own problems it seems the least reliable thing in a car these days is the trans - cvt or dct etc and at least the mazdas have a t.c. auto - take care of the paint and don't get a mazda diesel you're usually fine. Getting a car with a trad. t.c. auto is a safer bet in his and my opinion.

E: But I don't know so this topic is good timing for him too. I haven't been in a mondeo since 2013 and my brother wants at least a 2016, pref 2018. what are they like? mazda 6 better?

Last edited by oldel; 26-01-2021 at 01:53 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

We have one. Got it at 17,000ks. Has now done 130,000ks. Been a brilliant car, no problems with auto whatsoever. Very reliable and great on fuel............
Old 26-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Camry hybrid if you want a reliable no nonsense sedan
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take a test drive in a 6, that will convince you.
I had a 2010 Mazda6, bought it second hand, could nor fault it and it changed gears seamlessly.
On a road trip up north, 3 adults and luggage, the outside temperature was 50 degrees. Car and air con did not miss a beat.
Old 26-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Don't do it....

After Ford tried to 'fix' my engine and tranny issues several times I sold it well before I wanted to.

Lots of other cars out there. The newer Focus autos went back to the normal style. Perhaps look ay one of those? But avoid the powershift.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #9
DMXR6T

Thanks all for your comments. Seems like many manufacturers had problems with DCTs so best to avoid and go with the traditional TC transmission if you want auto.
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2023, 08:05 PM   #10
antisocial
Starter Motor

I have a 2010 6 speed auto, wet clutch type DCT. It now has 250,000km and still works fine. So they are not all problematic.
antisocial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post