Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Rapid260

Default Help needed with shipping BOSS to U.K

This is my situation, I’m heading overseas & won’t be back in Oz for 2 years, if I can’t sell my Boss ute by then I’m thinking this;

1. Leave the car here in storage.
2. Ship the car to the U.K & sell it there.

Now both questions present there own problems,

I’ve checked out storing it but have found that it’s going to cost an arm & a leg to store it for so long, unless someone can tell me different.

What I need help with is the shipping side of things, at present I’m still at work (Saudi Arabia) & have limited access to internet, does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to ship a car to the U.K

The other bit of help I need is, does anyone know what is required to get it licensed in the U.K as far as pollution control & the likes.

I’m thinking get it over there & sell it as a unique car, (being a BOSS an all),
& with a little luck make some extra money at the same time.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,
Kev.

Rapid260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

You will need to contact someone from teh U.K side of things in regards to importing to to there and all the regulaitons youll face.

First of all, based on current shipping rates to Japan of approx $2000 per car, you will probably be up for $3-5000 to send to U.K depending on carrier and the fact that there is much smaller volume of traffic.

You should be able to import the car as a "Personal Import" meaning you wont have to jump as many hoops to get it registered there.
You shouldnt have to be made to change anything to meet emissions standards there but will probably have to pay a workshop to do the compliance process.

Alot of what im saying is what youll find in Australia which should be similar to U.K since many of our laws are based on theirs.

Hope that helps.
Dont forget to contact U.K Importation Department or whatever its called for exact
info.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Mate im in Perth too and would have no objection to holding onto it for awhile for ya. Promise I wont break it. _2:

Ive seen a few cars shipped over there. There was even one in street machine I think. A commo ute was shipped over for some bloke who wanted to tow horses or some crap.

There might be a way to do it a bit cheaper or whatever. Maybe under a business name or something. Just one idea. Hope it all works out. Would be an awesome sight to see a BOSS driving around the streets of pommy land.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

One of my clients took his pajero with him and brought it back, id say it would be cheaper to sell it privately and buy another when u come back.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

doesnt the UK drive on the other side?..wouldnt u have to convert the steering to sell it there?

cheap option..(already researched this for something else)

hire a shipping container
stick car inside and cover it
you'll have to make sure it doesnt move about somehow lock the wheels the stuff the sides whatever works
then organise the transport and insurance theres always ships somewhere
either keep it at dock till you get there (costs money per day..some countries) or get someone to pick it up
return shipping container or hire it for 2 years...

anyways i already know this because i wanted to ship a custom Hummer from the philippines for my first car (only cost 3k + shipping) anyways that was the cheapest way for me to get it from there to here.
only probs with shipping is it takes like 6 weeks or 6 months.. 6 something anyways thats from philippines to Australia (Darwin or Brisbane or Sydney cant remember)

prices are from within philippines (dirt cheap though ive told you the same amount in AUD) and are from 2004
hope that helps

EDIT: drive the car to topgear firstly and tell them to take it around their track and see what they think...might help with sale better yet help out Ford OZ
good luck and enjoy the UK send pics as id like to go there soon (well europe...sicily)

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
EDIT: drive the car to topgear firstly and tell them to take it around their track and see what they think...might help with sale better yet help out Ford OZ
good luck and enjoy the UK send pics as id like to go there soon (well europe...sicily)
Best Idea i have ever heard anyone suggest.... I would suggest you put them in touch with an F6 as well
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #7
monk3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid260
This is my situation, I’m heading overseas & won’t be back in Oz for 2 years, if I can’t sell my Boss ute by then I’m thinking this;

1. Leave the car here in storage.
2. Ship the car to the U.K & sell it there.

Now both questions present there own problems,

I’ve checked out storing it but have found that it’s going to cost an arm & a leg to store it for so long, unless someone can tell me different.

What I need help with is the shipping side of things, at present I’m still at work (Saudi Arabia) & have limited access to internet, does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to ship a car to the U.K

The other bit of help I need is, does anyone know what is required to get it licensed in the U.K as far as pollution control & the likes.

I’m thinking get it over there & sell it as a unique car, (being a BOSS an all),
& with a little luck make some extra money at the same time.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,
Kev.
Kev,

I am currently in the UK and have been for 2 1/2 years now. I contemplated bring my AUIII XR6 over here with the idea of driving it and then selling it when I leave.

I had a couple of quotes (2nd half of 2003) and they came in at around Aus$3500-4000 drive it away in the UK. I thought that was reasonable, but then looked into the importing regs in the UK and found out that if I was to sell it in the UK that I would be slugged 17.5% VAT - (UK version of GST!) This would have put paid to any ideas of making any money out of it.

Another good reason for not bringing the XR6 over was petrol costing about $2.45 a litre!! Makes Australian fuel prices seem real cheap!

Hope this helps mate, if you really love the ute that much, stick it in storage, otherwise sell it and get a descent replacement once you get home.

Cheers,

MONK3Y
XE Fairmont Ghia - 4.1L EFI
AUIII XR6 - 5 speed in Blueprint
SY Territory TS RWD
BA MKII XR8 ENFORCER
EL Fairmont
monk3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 04:40 AM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
doesnt the UK drive on the other side?..wouldnt u have to convert the steering to sell it there?
no they're the same as us champ
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #9
Rapid260

The idea of shipping is to save a little money since I have only had it a year & would still have to pay close if not the full amount that I borrowed, I’m finding it difficult to sell at the moment so shipping it & selling it once it got to the U.K was looking like a good idea.
I was hoping to find some rich guy over there that was into his toys & flogged it to him & covered costs,

But what monk3y said (thanks for the heads up) will put a stop to the whole process, one thing that is in my favor is……. I cut a deal with my wife that if we moved to U.K- Europe & I had to sell the BOSS, when I get back in 2 years I will get a super pursuit Ute, so I’m not really missing out, I’m just trying to stop the losses as much as I can, since I paid 41k & plus $3500 extra’s it would’ve been nice to reduce that a little.

But with 5k shipping plus 7k VAT that puts it up at AUS$54k, that’s a lot to ask, & no doubt they would check prices & shipping before they bought.

Think I might just cut my losses & run, unless anyone else can come up with a better idea, I’m all ears.

Cheers,
Kev
Old 03-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi There,

I work in Brunei and my GTP is stored in Sydney. The yearly cost is $1500.00; the car is in a secure warehouse and looked after well. This was a much cheaper option than bringing the car to Brunei, which I did consider as 97 RON is aussie 40cents/litre here! I would have thought storage for 2 years would have been the cheaper option and when you come back you have a car in excellent condition with low mileage.

Regards, Jim Young
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #11
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Pommy backpacker who worked for me shipped 2 BAII XR8 utes back earlier this year. One is decked out as a Jaguar company car, and the other (his) has the full kit thanks to our friends @ Aussie Car Enhancements (Di Fillipo exhaust, Bluepower CAI and Edit). As far as he can tell, there are only 11 in the UK: Aston Martin has 6, he's sent 2 and 3 he doesn't know about yet. Apperantly the wallopers are pulling his uncle over a fair bit to check it out....and asking to pop the bonnet etc. and for a quick spin....They reckon the full kit sounds like an F1 car!! He leaves here soon and can't wait to give it a run.
He had his cars shipped straight over from the dealer here in Sydney. I'll find who the dealer was for you.

Brad....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #12
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

That'd be awesome, a country where you could actually stretch the XR8's legs a bit.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #13
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

drive the ute to the airport, use it to get a $5 loan from a pawnbroker there.

the pawnbroker will have to keep the car until you pay the loan back.

spose that doesnt work for 2 years..
Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRMONT4.0
drive the ute to the airport, use it to get a $5 loan from a pawnbroker there.

the pawnbroker will have to keep the car until you pay the loan back.

spose that doesnt work for 2 years..
Ahhh, what about the "if not recovered after 90 days is to be sold at auction to recover loan plus interest" part of the contract......

I bid $20.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #15
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Pommy backpacker who worked for me shipped 2 BAII XR8 utes back earlier this year. One is decked out as a Jaguar company car, and the other (his) has the full kit thanks to our friends @ Aussie Car Enhancements (Di Fillipo exhaust, Bluepower CAI and Edit). As far as he can tell, there are only 11 in the UK: Aston Martin has 6, he's sent 2 and 3 he doesn't know about yet. Apperantly the wallopers are pulling his uncle over a fair bit to check it out....and asking to pop the bonnet etc. and for a quick spin....They reckon the full kit sounds like an F1 car!! He leaves here soon and can't wait to give it a run.
He had his cars shipped straight over from the dealer here in Sydney. I'll find who the dealer was for you.

Brad....

Thats right...don't Aston use the utes as work cars?
One problem that you will encounter is that thirsty cars there don't fetch such great prices nowadays- just have a search for camaros, old yanks etc and I think that certain Ford dealers there will import Aussie models from new. The Maloo utes have been available there for a few years.
The ADR rules aren't quite so strict as far as I'm aware but you should research them more accurately!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #16
XRQTOR
Banned

Buy a 2oft container and stick it in there with a car cover over it, we store container's for a few cutomer's. Just dont tell them what's inside.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 06:08 AM   #17
Rapid260

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534
Hi There,

I work in Brunei and my GTP is stored in Sydney. The yearly cost is $1500.00; the car is in a secure warehouse and looked after well. This was a much cheaper option than bringing the car to Brunei, which I did consider as 97 RON is aussie 40cents/litre here! I would have thought storage for 2 years would have been the cheaper option and when you come back you have a car in excellent condition with low mileage.

Regards, Jim Young

I thought of this Jim, but I haven't seen anyone in Perth that does it, I even thought of shipping it to the east to do it, but the cost keeps running too high, as you can see the are alot of options that everyone has offered, as i check each one out it has been crossed off the list.

this one is still open to me though, at the moment i'm waying up if it's worth holding in storage for 2 years & when i get back spending about 25k on it & turning it into a hell machine or sell it now & upgrading to the super pursuit ute.

Its a tough call, in 2 years time what will they have come out with.... verses a 2005 XR8 model fully blowen.

Keep the ideas coming, I still have time & no one has offered what i'm asking for it.

Cheers
Kev.

PS......... its in the for sale section if anyone is interested.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Morning Kev,

I guess it all depends on how long you will be away for and what you really want to do with your car. In my case I bought the GTP before deciding to come to Brunei. I also want to keep the car in the family. It would be great to have the GTP here in Brunei as the petrol is cheap, the roads pretty good, and no police radar! We have been here for 2 years and will probably stay for 2 to 3 more years, so when we get back to Sydney the car will be about 6 years old, low mileage and paid for. We probably have more storage choices/options in Sydney. So, of the 3 choices, 1) put in storage, and I do get to drive it every 3 to 4 months), 2) bring to Brunei, 3) sell it, storage was the best and also the cheapest. If you do take it to the UK, I hope to see you on Top Gear! Good luck.

Jim
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post