Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Harness Engineering Help

Hi All,

Did some searching and couldnt find a topic similar. Not sure if this is meant to go in the Seats section (cause its a Harness question) but I couldnt find similar topics so mods please feel free to move.

To the issue. I have installed a new seat in my car and fitted a 4 point Harness as well. Long story short, I broke my standard seat and figured that I'd get a proper seat since I'll be doing more track days and am looking to enter APCC and Improved Production Racing.

So here is the problem, I didnt realise the seat belt "clicker" (for want of a better word) is connected to the drivers seat and with the new seat, it doesnt have a place for the clicker. I've installed the Harness instead now and know that it wont meet ADR. Its a Sparco 4 point Harness and has an easy release feature. How can I get this engineered and can I even get it engineered?! I'm in NSW and want to still keep it road legal.

Thank you for any help guys.

Cheers,

Kieran.

kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Harness Engineering Help

My understanding is racing seats and harness is not road legal and you can not get engineered. But ring the RTA and get a list of approved mechanics/ engineeres and take it to one.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

I asked this question years ago of the RTA inspectors (before doing it). The removable harnesses are not road legal, they can only be used on track & then removed when you go on the road & using the factory seat belt. You can use a race seat as long as the factory seat belt is still in working order & can still be used. The only way to get a full harness passed engineering & the RTA, is to have a non-removable harness fitted, & have the right rear door welded shut so it can't be opened, & then have the seating capacity, officially reduced from 5 seat passengers, to 4 seat passengers, ie. so you can't have anyone travel in the right rear seat position.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania
I asked this question years ago of the RTA inspectors (before doing it). The removable harnesses are not road legal, they can only be used on track & then removed when you go on the road & using the factory seat belt. You can use a race seat as long as the factory seat belt is still in working order & can still be used. The only way to get a full harness passed engineering & the RTA, is to have a non-removable harness fitted, & have the right rear door welded shut so it can't be opened, & then have the seating capacity, officially reduced from 5 seat passengers, to 4 seat passengers, ie. so you can't have anyone travel in the right rear seat position.
So if I had a Hyundai Veloster I'd be right! Damn it! What have I done?! I wish the guys who fit it told me this before killing me seatbelt buckle. Might have to get a custom clicker added!

Thanks for the replies!! I still am trying to figure out what to do about the Airbag now that the sensor for the seat is disconnected since the old seat was disconnected. Might need to speak to an Auto Elec.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. The airbag light is on because the seat belt buckle pre-tensioner is missing. The thing to do is see if the new seat can be mounted on the genuine ford base and include the ford buckle with it. You should be able to mount the harness buckle to the floor using a 7/16 high tensile bolt and a suitable reinforcing plate on the other side of the floor pan. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi. The airbag light is on because the seat belt buckle pre-tensioner is missing. The thing to do is see if the new seat can be mounted on the genuine ford base and include the ford buckle with it. You should be able to mount the harness buckle to the floor using a 7/16 high tensile bolt and a suitable reinforcing plate on the other side of the floor pan. Cheers MD
Thanks MD. Problem is the seat is already in with a custom job cause they couldnt get it to fit the seat rails. Does this mean the airbag will still deploy and that its just the pre-tensioner that is spitting up the error message? I just want to make sure the airbag still works (as per law).

Am I allowed to make a custom seatbelt clicker connection to the floor using a similar high tensile bolt and reinforcing plate similar to the harness?!

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to salvage this situation!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. You may be able to replicate the mounting of the original ford buckle to the floor using the same bolt as the harness but the buckle may then be too low to reach easily, If you cant use the original ford buckle and pretensioner assy you could trick the airbag system in to thinking everything is OK by fitting a test resistor across the plug. While the airbag light is on the airbags may not deploy if needed. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi. You may be able to replicate the mounting of the original ford buckle to the floor using the same bolt as the harness but the buckle may then be too low to reach easily, If you cant use the original ford buckle and pretensioner assy you could trick the airbag system in to thinking everything is OK by fitting a test resistor across the plug. While the airbag light is on the airbags may not deploy if needed. Cheers MD
Many Thanks MD! Going to try and see what I can come up with over the next week!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Don't forget that, in NSW anyway, if you change the seat from standard you still need an engineers cert for the new one.