Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
ck11

Default recovering deleted files

I accidentally deleted my exam notes from my usb hard drive last night. :
Rang a few shops and they are charging around $155-$175 per hour and want atleast $330 to recover the folder. Does anybody know of any places in sydney who might be able to recover the data at a cheaper price in sydney? It is a 80gb harddrive usb (NTFS file system). I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found a software product on one of the lastest PC Mags ..... one of those freebie type things.

I ran it on a small HDD I had purchased for the kids & it was apparently a newly formatted one & there was a huge amount of files that came up .......... I know the files wernt there from our use so I know it works .....

Im not at home atm and can't remember the name of the program but Im sure if theres a newsagency near you it would be easy found (its on the cover disk on the PC mag cover ).... that or I can give you the name later when Im home ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
XRated
Shoot.

There should be quite a few free ones around, but a lot of them have restricted use.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Most of them tell you the files it can possibly recover, but you have to then purchase the product to get the files back.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Use Rescue and Recovery. You'll need to buy it, or somehow find a license another way, but it works brilliantly.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
ck11

Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it. I found a company who seemed realtively cheap (compared to the rest). I will try to see if it is feasible to get the job done with them, else i might use a software my friend has offered. Hopefully it goes well as the exam notes are critical. Thanks so much for the input thus far.
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 03:27 AM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Before you do this.

WARNING. Make sure you download and install it on a different hard drive. You use the HDD you are trying to recover data from as a slave. Why? The new program will be installed on that HDD, it is possible it may be written to parts of the HDD where the files you want to recover are thus overwritting them, think recording bathurst over a wedding on a videotape. This will remove them completely and render them unrecoverable. There are some that can be run from a CD for this very reason.

Try GetDataBack from download . com, its about 2.5meg. Free software. Works fine.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try this link to PC World ...... theres a few programs ;)

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/col...ds/files.html#
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
monkeydog
Shift for brains

Quote:
This will remove them completely and render them unrecoverable. There are some that can be run from a CD for this very reason.
Just for some slight piece of mind, If you do happen to overwrite the data on a hard drive, with luck, you could find a professional who, with luck, could recover the data. This is because the hd's are mechanical and the head might not always go exactly over the same spot on the track, (why secure file erasers write random multiple times over the same area).
monkeydog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #10
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

do a google search i am told there is a program called recover my files hope this might help you
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have easy recover pro if you need help pm me, I have used it about 8 times with about a 90% strike rate.